New songs thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: New songs thread

Post by Cole Younger »

I loved all the new songs. I wasn't crazy about What It Means until Patterson did some clarification about it. I like it a lot better now and live it was great.

Cooley is on fire and it's great to see. Surrender Under Protest (or whatever it's called) definitely had an instant classic feel. A Confederate flag song I assume. Kind of sums up my own relationship with the subject these days.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've had a chance to listen to the recordings of the Homecoming shows (such a different experience than being there) and have really been able to focus on the music. At this point I rate the news songs in this order:

1. Ramon Casiano
2. Surrender Under Protest
3. What It Means
4. When They Banned Imagine
5. Ever South
6. Hipster Surfer Girl
7. Guns of Umpqua

I absolutely love the first 3. I didn't really care for What It Means from the few recordings I heard but I finally "got it" this weekend. Cooley is on a hot streak, between these new songs and his contributions to English Oceans this might be his best run in quite some time. I'm not really sure about tracks 4-7. I like them but I just haven't really got a good feel for them yet. I can tell you one thing, I am REALLY looking forward to September and the release of this album.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:I've had a chance to listen to the recordings of the Homecoming shows (such a different experience than being there) and have really been able to focus on the music. At this point I rate the news songs in this order:

1. Ramon Casiano
3. What It Means
5. Ever South
6. Hipster Surfer Girl
7. Guns of Umpqua

I absolutely love the first 3. I didn't really care for What It Means from the few recordings I heard but I finally "got it" this weekend. Cooley is on a hot streak, between these new songs and his contributions to English Oceans this might be his best run in quite some time. I'm not really sure about tracks 4-7. I like them but I just haven't really got a good feel for them yet. I can tell you one thing, I am REALLY looking forward to September and the release of this album.
I'm pretty much with you here. Those first three are great but after hearing Ever South several times now (starting a couple of times solo in Little Rock) I think it's one of Patterson's very best songs.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

At this point, when is Cooley not on fire? I'd say Patterson's on top of his game as well. This should be killer.
Hard to really rank based on what we've heard so far, but this is my rough take right now:
Ramon
Guns of Umpqua
Surfer
Surrender
Ever south
Imagine
What it means

I wonder if that heroin song of Hood's is on this one?
Last edited by Smitty on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:I've had a chance to listen to the recordings of the Homecoming shows (such a different experience than being there) and have really been able to focus on the music. At this point I rate the news songs in this order:

1. Ramon Casiano
3. What It Means
5. Ever South
6. Hipster Surfer Girl
7. Guns of Umpqua

I'm pretty much with you here. Those first three are great but after hearing Ever South several times now (starting a couple of times solo in Little Rock) I think it's one of Patterson's very best songs.
I had the same reaction to it, but I don't think it'll really catch on with people till they have a studio version. It's a song where the lyrics do pretty much all the work.

There is one tiny thing about Surrender Under Protest/Compelled But Not Defeated which I'm probably the only person to notice, assuming it is actually there: When I hear the melody on the sixth line of the verses, I hear "As the failing light illuminates the mercenary's creed". It's not the same melody, and it's the only part of the melody that is similar, but it's just close enough that I hear it. Maybe it's the number of times I listed to that record as a kid and long thereafter. I'll be curious if this rings a bell with anyone else.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:At this point, when is Cooley not on fire? I'd say Patterson's on top of his game as well. This should be killer.
Hard to really rank based on what we've heard so far, but this is my rough take right now:
Ramon
Guns of Umpqua
Surfer
Surrender
Ever south
Imagine
What it means

I wonder if that heroin song of Hood's is on this one?
Which one is that? We also have some other recent material floating around: The Distance, Tough To Let Go (my favorite of Patterson's new songs), Flight 218 to Denver, and (I think this is new, but I could be wrong) Hell-Forged and Heaven Sent (which I still haven't heard, dammit).
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I had to turn off Ever South because I really wasn't feeling it and didn't want to poison the well before hearing the album version like I did with a bunch of the GGB songs.

Haven't heard the Guns of Umpqua or that Imagine song yet and I think I'll keep it that way. Ramon Casiano and Surrender Under Protest more than whetted my appetite for the next album.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:At this point, when is Cooley not on fire?
He had to rework a few old songs during the Big To Do/Go Go Boots era. That was a bit of a dry spell and something he freely talked about at the time. Other than that? He's been on a pretty good hot streak since he started writing songs in my opinion.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:I had to turn off Ever South because I really wasn't feeling it and didn't want to poison the well before hearing the album version like I did with a bunch of the GGB songs.

Haven't heard the Guns of Umpqua or that Imagine song yet and I think I'll keep it that way. Ramon Casiano and Surrender Under Protest more than whetted my appetite for the next album.
Yeah, I'm currently debating whether to seek out the new songs on the HC recordings for repeated listening or to wait for the album, or at least the leaked album :lol: I think waiting may be the way to go (while acknowledging that I'll presumably hear at least some of them live during the upcoming tour).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I had the same reaction to it, but I don't think it'll really catch on with people till they have a studio version. It's a song where the lyrics do pretty much all the work.
I tend to agree there. I was very drawn to words when he played it acoustically so it had already hit hard by the time I heard the band play it. Still I think those are some of his very finest lyrics and very southern which makes me laugh after all the giving up catfish for tofu nonsense of last year.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I had forgotten about 218 to Denver. I wonder if that's going to be part of the new one. I kind of get the feeling The Distance won't be. Patterson made a comment at some point that was a song for the fans. That doesn't mean it won't be but Cooley made the exact same comment about Drining Coke and Eating Ice. Speaking of that one, somebody once posed the question here that they wondered if that song became Ramon Casiano. I think it might have.

The new one is shaping up to be really strong.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:I had forgotten about 218 to Denver. I wonder if that's going to be part of the new one. I kind of get the feeling The Distance won't be. Patterson made a comment at some point that was a song for the fans. That doesn't mean it won't be but Cooley made the exact same comment about Drining Coke and Eating Ice. Speaking of that one, somebody once posed the question here that they wondered if that song became Ramon Casiano. I think it might have.

The one I'm most interested in is Tough To Let Go. That's a very special song. The story of how it came to be is also pretty special. It might fit the new one or it might be a solo number. But I want it in some form.

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I had forgotten about 218 to Denver. I wonder if that's going to be part of the new one. I kind of get the feeling The Distance won't be. Patterson made a comment at some point that was a song for the fans. That doesn't mean it won't be but Cooley made the exact same comment about Drining Coke and Eating Ice. Speaking of that one, somebody once posed the question here that they wondered if that song became Ramon Casiano. I think it might have.

The one I'm most interested in is Tough To Let Go. That's a very special song. The story of how it came to be is also pretty special. It might fit the new one or it might be a solo number. But I want it in some form.
A thought I first had nearly a month ago just finished. Back in spring, I thought I saw a line from What It Means to Tough To Let Go. True but incomplete. That line, or maybe curve, ends at Ever South. Or so I think.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

i think I'm going to wait for studio versions to surface.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Word on the street is that the boys will finally lay down Neil's Revolution Blues on the new album. Fits right in, 'tis the season. Matt reprises Rick Danko's role, Brad Levon's, Jay Ben Keith's wurlitzer piano, Cooley Neil's lead guitar, and Patterson Neil's vocals and Crosby's rhythm guitar. That's not really the word, but a man can dream.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ramonz wrote:Word on the street is that the boys will finally lay down Neil's Revolution Blues on the new album. Fits right in, 'tis the season. Matt reprises Rick Danko's role, Brad Levon's, Jay Ben Keith's wurlitzer piano, Cooley Neil's lead guitar, and Patterson Neil's vocals and Crosby's rhythm guitar. That's not really the word, but a man can dream.
I think Patterson pulls off more NYish style lead guitar more than Cooley.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
ramonz wrote:Word on the street is that the boys will finally lay down Neil's Revolution Blues on the new album. Fits right in, 'tis the season. Matt reprises Rick Danko's role, Brad Levon's, Jay Ben Keith's wurlitzer piano, Cooley Neil's lead guitar, and Patterson Neil's vocals and Crosby's rhythm guitar. That's not really the word, but a man can dream.
Definitely. Murdering Osacr is dripping in it.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Definitely. Murdering Osacr is dripping in it.
Good points. Wanted to make sure Cooley played a significant role though. Ya'll agree that Patterson would be the better RB singer?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Heard a few of the new songs for the first time at last night's 9:30 Club show. It was difficult to make out all the lyrics but they sounded really good and definitely politically charged. I especially liked Ramon Casiano so I googled his name today and found this article:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/what-the ... 87405.html

I'd love to know the lyrics to the song. Anyone got them?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: Hell-Forged and Heaven Sent (which I still haven't heard, dammit).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Heard a few of the new songs for the first time at last night's 9:30 Club show. It was difficult to make out all the lyrics but they sounded really good and definitely politically charged. I especially liked Ramon Casiano so I googled his name today and found this article:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7033&p=272230&hilit=Casiano#p272230

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
Clams wrote:Heard a few of the new songs for the first time at last night's 9:30 Club show. It was difficult to make out all the lyrics but they sounded really good and definitely politically charged. I especially liked Ramon Casiano so I googled his name today and found this article:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7033&p=272230&hilit=Casiano#p272230
Ah. Thanks Smitty.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

I was listening to the 3/4/16 9:30 show in search of Patterson telling his mom not to vote for Donald Trump and ran into an exceptional version of this song, which I think goes like this:
From the comfort zone of history
On the lips of trusted relatives
To the wounded fragile minds of angry youth
No sooner was it over
Than the memory made it noble
A selective lens by which to point the view

Compelled but not defeated
Surrender under protest if you must

If it's all you can remember
Then it's been that way forever
And for six long generations it's been told
That among the fallen was tradition
That tradition was the mission
And that the wrongness of the sin was not the goal

Does the color really matter
On the face you blame for failure
All the shaming for a ... losing cause
But the victims and aggressors
Just remain each others' others
And the instigators never fight their own

I think that's very, very close. I'm still a little uncertain about lines three and four in the last verse. This is a clear recording of a clear vocal performance. I know when I heard the first three lines clearly, it hit me like hearing it the first time did. That first time, I had to go by feel and hook; this time, I think I heard just what Mister Cooley is saying.

There may be two separate things to take away from this. The first is the depth of compassion in Cooley's lyric. It's not stupid compassion; it's the kind that sees all the costs and adds them up and yet still exists. The second is that those of us who feel some level of despair for the times we live in now can consider have reason for hope, in the long term. Look, he's saying, at this very bad cause which has reached out of an undead past and keeps on grabbing people by the throat today. Worst case scenario, if they can hold out for a century and a half, well, maybe so can you. Watch and learn.

Or maybe I overinterpret. I've been known to do that.

Anyway, if someone can point me to where Patterson says the thing, I'd be very grateful. I've got the whole show running now that I've looked Compelled but not Defeated over pretty hard. Oh, wait! I guessed right--it's at the end of The Company I Keep.

And the other thing--I don't think it's the title for the record, but if there's a bonus release of some sort, I like "Alabama Kung-Fu". Wes Freed could have a field day with that one.

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

Seeing Patterson perform "What It Means" in Selma -- as the area was preparing for the 50th anniversary of the Bridge Crossing -- was a special moment.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

That's a sweet poster!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Surfer" occurs at no time in the "hipster cowgirl" song... I guest the actual title is "filthy and fried". I do think its probably my favorite right now, along with Ramon and Guns of Umpqua.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:"Surfer" occurs at no time in the "hipster cowgirl" song... I guest the actual title is "filthy and fried". I do think its probably my favorite right now, along with Ramon and Guns of Umpqua.
That's my fault, I think. I called it that in a list and my mistake, unsurprisingly (have I told you about getting back from Homecoming? No? Consider yourself lucky), caught on.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Is it time to start a new album thread? Patterson said the record is done and is coming out in September. :mrgreen:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Eyes Above It wrote:Is it time to start a new album thread? Patterson said the record is done and is coming out in September. :mrgreen:
umm, ain't that pretty much what this is?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:"Surfer" occurs at no time in the "hipster cowgirl" song... I guest the actual title is "filthy and fried". I do think its probably my favorite right now, along with Ramon and Guns of Umpqua.
Patterson confirmed on Facebook that the title is "Filthy and Fried".