New songs thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: New songs thread

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:That has nothing to do with anything
Maybe not. So why don't you explain what the actual benefit is to doing it the way you want it done? Because all you're saying is 1) it's faster and 2) other people do it that way. Those strike me as incredibly thin reeds on which to make a decision. Seriously, dude--who exactly is not going to buy this album because it comes out in October instead of May? What money are they leaving on the table? And have you considered that, in as much as DBT is not as big a band as Wilco, perhaps they trade time spent promoting the product in advance for money not spent out of their pockets doing advertising and promotion? Maybe it takes longer to promote it effectively given their particular situation.

So go on. Tell us why your preference is better. Like H. Ross Perot, I'm all ears.
Because its a finished product. Its being promoted through them playing the songs every night. If its truly being delayed six months because they need to run a set of 500 vinyl records, that seems silly to me.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't know if that's the reason or not. Pure speculation on my part but 500 records? For DBT fans? I think you're off by a couple thousand at least.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I don't know if that's the reason or not. Pure speculation on my part but 500 records? For DBT fans? I think you're off by a couple thousand at least.
The box set was pressed with 2500. If there were only 500, I might've bought two. Or three.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

I don't know the ins and outs of record production, but I do get a front-row view to the book production cycle, as my sort-of-ex-wife works in the field for an early success story in digital production and sales. This schedule is not out of line with that. You can push a book through faster, but it costs more money, so they don't.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I don't know if that's the reason or not. Pure speculation on my part but 500 records? For DBT fans? I think you're off by a couple thousand at least.
Sales figures are impossible to find, so you may be right. Regardless, it's a small % of total sales

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The band is playing tighter than ever and Hood & Cooley are at the top to their game. The new songs have got almost universal praise from those who've heard them; they're provocative, nuanced and they still can rock your socks off. They're also ripe for discussion.

And yet the focus of this thread is about how the band takes too long to release? Seriously? It never occurred to me to even think about why the band is releasing it when they are; I mean they seem to know what the fuck they're doing most of the time.
Its not like they've had it in the can for years; its still less than a year from the first note being recorded until it's in our hands.
Last edited by Smitty on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Of course I can't wait to hear it. Why else would I be so annoyed that it's done but not coming out until
October?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:Of course I can't wait to hear it. Why else would I be so annoyed that it's done but not coming out until
October?
Fair enough, I was off point saying that - I missed the original post you made about "being excited/joining the 21st century" and only caught the following ones comparing them to Wilco's release cycle, etc. I apologize.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City wrote:Of course I can't wait to hear it. Why else would I be so annoyed that it's done but not coming out until
October?
In the YouTube link to "Baggage" earlier in the thread, Patterson said it would be out in September

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Jesus...didn't realize how much homework I've got to do. Looking forward to diving in.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I wonder if the record after this new one will have some Gonzalez and/or Patton compositions on it? I was thinking it was about time for those two to break out some songs, and I'd be very interested in hearing them. Or maybe play them at the Rock Shows if they don't make the cut for the album.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

Markalanbishop wrote:I wonder if the record after this new one will have some Gonzalez and/or Patton compositions on it? I was thinking it was about time for those two to break out some songs, and I'd be very interested in hearing them. Or maybe play them at the Rock Shows if they don't make the cut for the album.
So you're saying that if the band jumps from two songwriters to four and skips the dreaded three, no one will leave the band ever again? If so, I'm all for it!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:I wonder if the record after this new one will have some Gonzalez and/or Patton compositions on it? I was thinking it was about time for those two to break out some songs, and I'd be very interested in hearing them. Or maybe play them at the Rock Shows if they don't make the cut for the album.
Nope, they're all by Patterson or Cooley.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^^The 2017-18 album is already written?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

No disrespect meant to anyone in the band, all of whom are freakishly talented, but no more 3rd (or 4th, or 5th) songwriters, please. It's worked out only once so far, and that was when they lucked into a major, among-the-best-in-his-generation level talent. And even then it almost destroyed the band. Plus that's 2-3 fewer Hood/Cooley songs every night. No thank you.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:^^^The 2017-18 album is already written?
Oh sorry, I read that wrong. I meant this one but I'd be surprised if they ever expanded the songwriting duties again.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Speaking of Jay and new songs!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Now that a better recording has surfaced, I took another pass at "Filthy and Fried." Only line I can't make out is the end of the second verse.
Bottles fall into the dumpster and a stale smell rises through the sickening summer haze
To the rhythm of a boot heeled hipster cowgirl's clunky sashay of shame
Monday mayhem the last of the AM's gasoline powered release
To the rest of the day in the afternoon's rising relentlessly stifling heat

Up around the corner a B Model Mazda sitting crooked between the lines
Feeling lucky that 27's the hardest thing she'll have to survive
Just don't mix your browns and your whites with your wines and don't sit on your cigarettes
You'll feel like shit soon enough and deserve...???...stories past

That's what a life feels like
Bored children caught between dog days when night turns them loose
All that's different for girls is the bragging for who it's done to

Everyone claims the times are a changing as theirs pass them by
And everyone's right

Way down beneath all the talk and tequila and reasons, excuses and doubts
Breathing steam from his cup and stink from his fingers he's starting to figure it out
But the old man's world was more doing than thinking and the doing was more cut and dry

Now girls collect trophies as much as the boys and come home just as filthy and fried
Now girls collect trophies as much as the boys and come home just as filthy and fried
Last edited by Duke Silver on Fri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Ramon Casiano

It all started with a border
And that's still where it is today
Someone killed Ramon Casiano
And the killer got away

Down by the sister city's river
Two boys with way more pride than sense
One would fall and one would prosper
Never forced to make amends

He became a border agent
And supplemented what he made
With creative deportation
And missing ammo by the case

??? ran the operation
gun...sense...
...men amassing at the border
From Chinese troops to terrorists

He had the makings of a leader
Of certain kind of men
Who need to feel the world's against them
Got to get 'em if you can

Men whose triggers pull their fingers
And who would rather fight than win
United in a revolution
Like in mind and like in skin

It all started with a border
And that's still where it is today
Who for sure no one can say

But killing's been the bullet's business
Since back in 1931
And Ramon still ain't dead enough

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

I've wondered that, too. Jay's stuff is more poppy, but I think if a record like A Blessing and a Curse can exist, pop can work on a rock record.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

I think it's "Boot heeled"...

[quote]Bottles fall into the dumpster and a stale smell rises through the sickening summer haze
To the rhythm of a BOOT heeled hipster cowgirl's clunky sashay of shame [quote]

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:I think it's "Boot heeled"...
Bottles fall into the dumpster and a stale smell rises through the sickening summer haze
To the rhythm of a BOOT heeled hipster cowgirl's clunky sashay of shame
I think you're right. I had boot originally, than after another couple dozen listens to that line, words lost all meaning and I switched it to blue.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"You'll feel like shit soon enough and deserve's got no say in the stories passed"?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Anybody know what was the new song played at soundcheck in Tallahassee? It rocked. Hood? Anyone?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

blackwll wrote:Anybody know what was the new song played at soundcheck in Tallahassee? It rocked. Hood? Anyone?
Wasn't there for sound check. Have you heard any of the songs they've played from the upcoming record?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Cole Younger wrote:
blackwll wrote:Anybody know what was the new song played at soundcheck in Tallahassee? It rocked. Hood? Anyone?
Wasn't there for sound check. Have you heard any of the songs they've played from the upcoming record?
Not this one as far as I know, and it was great.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

6 new songs were played at the recent show it Austin. There is a great recording of the show here:

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Started listening to some of the new shit and "Filthy and Fried" seems like a classic.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

blackwll wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Not this one as far as I know, and it was great.
It was a Hood song, FWIW. After listening to the Austin show, it may be What it Means, which I heard Hood play solo in Selma not long after he wrote it. Much different arrangement obviously. The one in Tallahassee was even more rocking than this one as far as I can tell.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hearing the new songs on that Austin recording has totally got me on board. I like "What it Means" a lot more than I did. "Filthy and Fried" is stellar, as is "Baggage" and "The Day They Banned 'Imagine'".