DBT Tracks - Week #10 - Daddy's Cup

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Re: DBT Tracks - Week #10 - Daddy's Cup

Post by rlipps »

beantownbubba wrote:For someone who doesn't know shit about NASCAR, the line always seemed right to me.* In the general mythology of the sport wasn't Petty the mean sumbitch who should still be delivering 'shine thru the backwoods w/ the cops on his tail? Wasn't Earnhardt the glamor boy?

* Hell, I was proud that i simply knew what he was talking about :)

Earnhardt was the outlaw until later in his career. I remember my neighbor when I was little loved Earnhardt and had all kinds of memorabilia in his house. I found that strange because everyone else I knew hated him at that time. Later on, when Dale got older and younger drivers like Jeff Gordon came on the scene that didn't personify the "good-ol boy" image of the roots of NASCAR, he picked up a ton of new fans (at least from what I witnessed) and became a fan favorite.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:For someone who doesn't know shit about NASCAR, the line always seemed right to me.* In the general mythology of the sport wasn't Petty the mean sumbitch who should still be delivering 'shine thru the backwoods w/ the cops on his tail? Wasn't Earnhardt the glamor boy?

* Hell, I was proud that i simply knew what he was talking about :)

Petty's racing style was a lot more conservative than Earnhardt's - Earnhardt was loved (& hated) for his reckless "hit 'em in the ass or pass 'em in the grass" approach. He definitely had more "nerve" than King Richard.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And here I didn't know the numbers had any significance at all :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Smitty wrote:Figured out exactly what bothers me about this song:

Number 3 might have the car but 43 has got the nerve

I realize the narrator isn't necessarily at a NASCAR track, but he didn't just randomly choose those two numbers, and in that case he's got it backwards.

I'm fairly certain that Cooley was talking about Richard Childress who drove #3 in the late 70's while Petty was King of the Road.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The young Richard Petty certainly had just as much 'nerve' as Earnhardt ever did. Of the 200 races he won over his 35 year career, 177 of those came in the first 18 years. He only won 5 in the last 10 years he raced, lending credence to the idea that he wasn't too aggressive (for folks who hadn't seen the younger version). He was one of, if not the first driver to gain national sponsorship (with STP) & amassed most of his wins when it seemed like he had a financial & mechanical edge over the other drivers. Those other drivers were very envious of his situation & there was no love lost between him and many of them. Ultimately, he gained their respect & admiration; 'coz he basically put NASCAR on the map (and TV) & gave those other guys higher purses to shoot for. The last 10 years of his career seemed like he was just an ambassador for the sport, more than a competitive driver & anyone who only saw this phase of his career could easily assume that he didn't have the 'nerve' to aggressively compete. In fact, I was convinced they all let him win his 200th out of respect. In an interesting side note, Petty's last race was Jeff Gordon's first race (Atlanta 1992). I was @ Dover that year & he was basically on a farewell tour. The Governor gave him some memento & told him he couldn't go over 55 in Delaware anymore. He smiled & said he would try his best.

Dale Earnhardt came onto the scene when it was MUCH more competitive. Established drivers like the Yarboroughs & Allisons & David Pearson had gained a similar financial & mechanical edge that Petty had always enjoyed; and they were far hungrier than he was. Pushin' slower cars outta the way became an accepted practice (and fisticuffs often followed). That was a mindset that Petty never felt the need to participate in, prolly 'coz he was already filthy rich, more than he was 'afraid' of it. For Earnhardt to crack the upper echelon, he felt he had to be an 'intimidator'. He pissed off the good ole boys; but slowly made a name for himself. He was hated by the fans of the established leaders; but loved by younger fans. I liked Cale Yarborough @ the time & Earnhardt's pushiness seemed overly aggressive to me. It took me a looong time to come around & give him the respect he was due. I am firmly convinced that he died because he altered that aggressive style; when he let Micheal Waltrip & Dale Jr. pass him for the Daytona win. He tried to block the rest of the field & got tapped from behind. It didn't help that he refused to wear the HANS protective headgear that most of the other drivers had gone to. I drive pretty fast myself & whenever someone has to follow me somewhere they always slow me down & I tell my wife 'They're gonna Earnhardt me' if they don't get movin'.

As to the line in the song. I feel it would've been more appropriate the other way around; but I love the hell outta Daddy's Cup & wish they would play it occasionally.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Gang Green wrote:I'm fairly certain that Cooley was talking about Richard Childress who drove #3 in the late 70's while Petty was King of the Road.

GG - That's an interesting take that I hadn't thought of; but it would seem to work even less that way. In the late 70s, Petty certainly had as much car as Childress ever did & couldn't be accused of having more 'nerve' (I don't think). I doubt a young Cooley would've seen it that way, but maybe his Daddy did.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I doubt Cooley even knows Childress drove back in the day, I remember reading interviews where he stated he was not a NASCAR fan at all and I think he actually wrote the song to try and get it included on some type of compilation. (I might have dreamed that last part, lol)

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I'm fairly certain that Cooley was talking about Richard Childress who drove #3 in the late 70's while Petty was King of the Road.

GG - That's an interesting take that I hadn't thought of; but it would seem to work even less that way. In the late 70s, Petty certainly had as much car as Childress ever did & couldn't be accused of having more 'nerve' (I don't think). I doubt a young Cooley would've seen it that way, but maybe his Daddy did.

Ripps, you're probably right, I was a very mild NASCAR fan in the 70's (I grew up in New York whatdawant from me), and I don't remember Richard Childress as a driver. But, Slipkid, Richard Childress could have had the car, he had the backing back then. And, what is meant by nerve, is it calm, cool and collected, or is it Cale Yarborough and Allisons beating the crap out of each other.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Only Cooley knows what he meant by that; but @ this point we're prolly overanalyzing it.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Slipkid42 wrote:Only Cooley knows what he meant by that; but @ this point we're prolly overanalyzing it.

Prolly? Nothing ever gets over analyzed around these parts.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

LBRod wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Only Cooley knows what he meant by that; but @ this point we're prolly overanalyzing it.

Try telling that to Bob.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
LBRod wrote:

Try telling that to Bob.

;) :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

RAWK.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Dirt Underneath Tour--Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:

Dirt Underneath Tour--Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Show off
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Slipkid42 wrote:The young Richard Petty certainly had just as much 'nerve' as Earnhardt ever did. Of the 200 races he won over his 35 year career, 177 of those came in the first 18 years. He only won 5 in the last 10 years he raced, lending credence to the idea that he wasn't too aggressive (for folks who hadn't seen the younger version). He was one of, if not the first driver to gain national sponsorship (with STP) & amassed most of his wins when it seemed like he had a financial & mechanical edge over the other drivers. Those other drivers were very envious of his situation & there was no love lost between him and many of them. Ultimately, he gained their respect & admiration; 'coz he basically put NASCAR on the map (and TV) & gave those other guys higher purses to shoot for. The last 10 years of his career seemed like he was just an ambassador for the sport, more than a competitive driver & anyone who only saw this phase of his career could easily assume that he didn't have the 'nerve' to aggressively compete. In fact, I was convinced they all let him win his 200th out of respect. In an interesting side note, Petty's last race was Jeff Gordon's first race (Atlanta 1992). I was @ Dover that year & he was basically on a farewell tour. The Governor gave him some memento & told him he couldn't go over 55 in Delaware anymore. He smiled & said he would try his best.

Dale Earnhardt came onto the scene when it was MUCH more competitive. Established drivers like the Yarboroughs & Allisons & David Pearson had gained a similar financial & mechanical edge that Petty had always enjoyed; and they were far hungrier than he was. Pushin' slower cars outta the way became an accepted practice (and fisticuffs often followed). That was a mindset that Petty never felt the need to participate in, prolly 'coz he was already filthy rich, more than he was 'afraid' of it. For Earnhardt to crack the upper echelon, he felt he had to be an 'intimidator'. He pissed off the good ole boys; but slowly made a name for himself. He was hated by the fans of the established leaders; but loved by younger fans. I liked Cale Yarborough @ the time & Earnhardt's pushiness seemed overly aggressive to me. It took me a looong time to come around & give him the respect he was due. I am firmly convinced that he died because he altered that aggressive style; when he let Micheal Waltrip & Dale Jr. pass him for the Daytona win. He tried to block the rest of the field & got tapped from behind. It didn't help that he refused to wear the HANS protective headgear that most of the other drivers had gone to. I drive pretty fast myself & whenever someone has to follow me somewhere they always slow me down & I tell my wife 'They're gonna Earnhardt me' if they don't get movin'.

As to the line in the song. I feel it would've been more appropriate the other way around; but I love the hell outta Daddy's Cup & wish they would play it occasionally.
The song would have been more appropriate had it mentioned that David Pearson was the best of that bunch! The Silver Fox would run a limited schedule, typically skipping the short tracks, yet still would contend for and win Cups. And he was the perfect foil to Petty. You simply cannot have a legitimate, comprehensive discussion about the golden age of NASCAR without David Pearson. Period.

#21 never, ever gets the respect he deserved

Was really fortunate to grow up in that era and see all of the greats in person at places like Charlotte, North Wilkesboro, Bristol, and non-cup classic small tracks like Asheville, Hickory, & Greenville-Pickens

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Was wondering when WWCD would jump into this thread! 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley