Three on the Tree

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Three on the Tree

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

It's a hell of a good song, isn't it? I was inspired to think of it by a friend's Facebook posting showing the shift pattern and ended up writing this True Story:

I'd gotten picked up hitchhiking in 1980 in Omaha by a guy driving a three on the three from Denver to Detroit for his mother's funeral with a case of beer and a bottle of bourbon. Somewhere in Iowa, about halfway through the booze, he showed me how to work the shift so he could doze. I got us most of the way across the state when I got a little woozy and he took back over and I dozed off. It was dark when I heard, and felt, a loud WHAM! My eyes opened to see the hood was up and we were still going about fifty.

He'd taken out a sawhorse marking Construction Ahead. The car rolled to a stop and he got out and made sure the front end was okay, and then we went on to Joliet, me wide awake. He let me out and I hitched up through Chicago to Madison and back.

Later that week, I saw The Blues Brothers for the first time in Chicago, which is actually another story.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be