Madison, WI, 11/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Madison, WI, 11/15

Post by CooleyGirl »

Calling all Wisco boys! Can't wait to finally see a show in your home state.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Barely_Oakely

Re: Madison, WI, 11/15

Post by Barely_Oakely »

The Majestic's a pretty awesome venue. If I make a stop on the tour, it'll be this one. We'll see.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

CooleyGirl wrote:Calling all Wisco boys! Can't wait to finally see a show in your home state.
You need to get in touch with Cotter. I would bet he'll be there. Envious of this one. I love Madison and I've seen some good shows at the Majestic.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beergut

Post by beergut »

Yup. Great theater!

Much better than the Barrymore.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

MUCH better!

Looks like this one is out. Hoping for two in Chi.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

We'll be there.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Possible.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

dogstar wrote:Possible.
Make a fist, man. IN!!!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

In
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

IN :D
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

dogstar wrote:IN :D
NO WAY!?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Man, do I wish this was on a Saturday.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Can we hope for a cover of the new state song?

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

The Beacon

Post by The Beacon »

LornaR and I, IN
Madison WI, for the Rock Show ;)

roryg

Post by roryg »

This will be a good show, but at a poor venue: bad sound and poor sight lines. The last time they played the M, they cranked up the sound to beat the acoustics. Too bad they didn't snag the Capitol Theatre like Jason did for a show earlier that week.

roryg

Post by roryg »

And, of course, we are going to the show because, well, DBT.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Road tripping from Chicago for the show.

sjsteuck

Post by sjsteuck »

I'll be there for my second DBT show, both of them at the Majestic.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

roryg wrote:This will be a good show, but at a poor venue: bad sound and poor sight lines. The last time they played the M, they cranked up the sound to beat the acoustics. Too bad they didn't snag the Capitol Theatre like Jason did for a show earlier that week.
I have only seen the Truckers at the Majestic, so you would likely know best, but I loved that venue.

That Space City bust out at the Majestic in Fall of 2011 was mind blowing. That show crushed and if memory serves me correctly they closed with Angels and Fuselage. Trees were or were not partaken with a Drifter behind dumpsters. And Macaroni and Cheese pizza was eaten at a brewery near the venue. Double bourbons were drunk. It was a... wait for it.... legendary night.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
roryg wrote:This will be a good show, but at a poor venue: bad sound and poor sight lines. The last time they played the M, they cranked up the sound to beat the acoustics. Too bad they didn't snag the Capitol Theatre like Jason did for a show earlier that week.
I have only seen the Truckers at the Majestic, so you would likely know best, but I loved that venue.

That Space City bust out at the Majestic in Fall of 2011 was mind blowing. That show crushed and if memory serves me correctly they closed with Angels and Fuselage. Trees were or were not partaken with a Drifter behind dumpsters. And Macaroni and Cheese pizza was eaten at a brewery near the venue. Double bourbons were drunk. It was a... wait for it.... legendary night.
I think Angels and Fuselage is right but that wasn't the Kelly Hogan year right? If I remember correctly her car had broken down. I want to say the first show there was 2009? Memory fails.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

I think Angels and Fuselage is right but that wasn't the Kelly Hogan year right? If I remember correctly her car had broken down. I want to say the first show there was 2009? Memory fails.
Kelly's car did break down in 2011. But I thought they played it regardless. She sang A & F with them there in 2009 too, right? I thought they played it both shows at The Majestic.

That was a fun two night run of Milwaukee into Madison wasn't it TC? I remember us opening some bar in Madison hungover from Milwaukee the night before (at least I was for absolute shite) and watching the Bears play the Bucs. A game in London, perhaps? And that first bloody just perpetuated me into day.
Days when I could still hang with the best of them in a two night run. Days when I didn't watch Disney Junior on a regular basis.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:Kelly's car did break down in 2011. But I thought they played it regardless. She sang A & F with them there in 2009 too, right? I thought they played it both shows at The Majestic.

That was a fun two night run of Milwaukee into Madison wasn't it TC? I remember us opening some bar in Madison hungover from Milwaukee the night before (at least I was for absolute shite) and watching the Bears play the Bucs. A game in London, perhaps? And that first bloody just perpetuated me into day.
Days when I could still hang with the best of them in a two night run. Days when I didn't watch Disney Junior on a regular basis.
It was a nice run and yep, I think it was a Buffalo Wild Wings.

They played it at both. 2010 was the year KH was there and she and Patterson played an acoustic set on campus somewhere. They also played Delta Dawn that year.

Oddly that 2011 run was the last time I did multiple shows in a week outside of Homecoming but Lurleen and I are remedying that this week with shows in NOLA, Hattiesburg and Memphis.

beergut

Post by beergut »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2011-10- ... MV3.flac24 :D

I was wondering again why I wasn't at the 2010 show.

Oh yeah. Honeymoon in Europe. :lol:
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I woke up the morning of the 2011 show in Des Moines with no intentions of going.

6 hours later, we were in line at Starbucks in Madison behind Patterson and Cooley.

That was an epic show. Pre-gamed at the brewery next door (and of course on the drive up - no one drives anywhere in Wisconsin or Iowa on the weekend without road brew), and I remember there being an exceptional beer list at the venue. Lots of Moon Man was consumed. Some weed. I may have witnessed Patterson pass TC some Patron. I could be off on that.

Set list wise, Space City and a smoldering I Know Your Daddy Hates Me were highlights. My buddy pointed out that Shonna seemed "like she's punched out". Pretty heady call on his part.

roryg

Post by roryg »

DBT has played some dandy shows here - their first time at Luther's for Southern Gothic the night before they opened for Alice (Hood: "We're playing in front of Alice Cooper's guillotine, how fucking cool is that?") in Rockford, a couple of beery/boozy affairs at High Noon and the Milw/Madison 1-2 punch a few years back. The only downside was no Wes poster for any WI show. If you get here early enough, pre-game across the street at Great Dane. Now we have to figure out how to pull off doing Chi first since we just did Memphis. Maybe this time I'll get the guitar man shirt in the right size, Lisa was quite pleased with the extra gift she received in Memphis

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

It's only 5 days until this show!

The show is on a football Sunday. Anyone have input on sports bar possibilities for pre gaming before the show? Yelp's list of the top 10 sports bars in Madison is linked below.

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=sportsb ... ison%2C+WI

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:It's only 5 days until this show!

The show is on a football Sunday. Anyone have input on sports bar possibilities for pre gaming before the show? Yelp's list of the top 10 sports bars in Madison is linked below.

Great Dane Brewery is around the corner and has a sports bar vibe. Many of the usual suspects know the place well. Plenty of TV's and great beer. Otherwise you might want to walk down State Street which is a short walk from the venue.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Great Dane Brewery is around the corner and has a sports bar vibe. Many of the usual suspects know the place well. Plenty of TV's and great beer. Otherwise you might want to walk down State Street which is a short walk from the venue.
The Wisconsin Style Buffalo Mac and Cheese. That is all.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

The Wisconsin Style Buffalo Mac and Cheese. That is all.
Thanks for the recommendation. That place looks good.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I hate missing this show. If Baby Duke could've sucked it up and gone to daycare just one more day this year, I might be able to justify burning half a day of PTO for the drive back on Monday. Oh well. I'll just have to settle for Isbell Friday night.

There's a new Hopcat on State St (about 10-15 minute walk from the venue) if you're into the 9000 beers on tap thing. Great Dane is solid, too. Marigold Kitchen (around the corner from the Majestic) is hard to beat if you need a breakfast/brunch spot on Monday.
ain't no static on the gospel radio