Chicago 11/13 & 11/14

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Chicago 11/13 & 11/14

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: But strange, yes. I definitely feel strange. And hungry.
I've heard there's pizza there.

That's right, taunt me with yummy food while I'm stuck in front of a laptop. Probably about what I deserve. ;-)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

How Fucking cool is this?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I'd think jonicont is with me on this one.. While the food in that picture might taste really good, pizza it is not ;)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Tornadoes
Get Downtown
Feb 14
Devil
Sinkhole
First Air of Autumn
Guns of Umpqua
Gravitys gone
Wednesday
Shit shots
McQueen
Ghost
Sandwiches
Dead drunk
Guitar man
PPotM
Encore
Bday boy
Girls smoke
Zip
Angels
Get on plane
People died
Last edited by chitowntrucker on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

beergut

Post by beergut »

Did anyone notice tapers?
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

John A Arkansawyer

First time ever, I think, that I had to take a break during a DBT show. I normally have the adrenaline to endure, but between the Dexateens and DBT, I made the mistake of looking at Facebook. I knew it was bad and the story kept getting worse as I kept sneaking looks at the updating news and I just couldn't focus on the band like I usually can, paranoid fantasy of self-aggrandizement masking fear, and fear, especially vain baseless fear, weakens you. Finally, as Women Without Whiskey started, I had to find a place to sit for a few minutes.

Don't get me wrong--it was a good show, and in terrible times, you need something good and strong. I remember that woman at that Dead show who was moaning in pain from her knee surgery. She was out of pain meds and I stupidly suggested she should hit up an ER for some, like that'll work for a biker chick in Oklahoma City when the Dead are in town. She said, "If I'm going to be in pain, I'd rather be in pain here." At the time, I thought that appalling, but now, I guess I finally got something good from the worst rock show experience I've ever had, thirty-three years after the fact.

So I'm looking forward to tonight. The Dexateens were really, really good and played a lot of material I didn't know. Some of it was probably new and some of it was stuff I just didn't recognize, since I don't have all their records. Where I was standing during DBT, I got lucky again and heard Matt's bass lines clear as a bell most of the time. If I start playing bass seriously again, I think I'll start using a pick more often. I could hear most of the lyrics to The Guns of Umpqua, unlike last time, when I was on the rail in a venue where the sound situation is difficult up front, and Wednesday and Sandwiches for the Road were nice treats. (It was a little weird not to hear Wednesday turn into Ooh La La--that was a stroke of inspiration.) It was good to hear Steve McQueen again, too, and really charming the way Patterson recovered from his brain fart. I was sorry I couldn't clearly hear what Cooley yelled toward the end of the show, right before People Who Died. I'm sure glad I weaseled my way back toward the front for that, where I got a mostly clear view of Patterson and Uncle Ricky rocking out. When it comes down to it, art and people matter in ways most shit don't.

It was good to hang with folks before the show--the Erdlivzes (good on you for waiting to find out the kid's sex! and thanks for letting us scare you with parenting stories), Cubfan06 (that was you, right? I'm such a space case), The Drifter (which he did. I'm not certain he ever sat down with us, and yet he was there), and--man, you don't have a board name, do you? So I won't say it for fear of being indiscreet. I enjoyed getting to tell Elliott how much I loved the Dexateens, too. I probably fanboyed more than I should have, but I'd been trying to see them for so long.

(I plan to buy a ticket at the door tonight, but if anyone has an extra, let me know and I'll buy it from you instead.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

beergut wrote:Did anyone notice tapers?
I looked, though not too carefully, and saw none.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I guess Bubba was serious. SOmeone give that man a laptop!! :)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:First time ever, I think, that I had to take a break during a DBT show. I normally have the adrenaline to endure, but between the Dexateens and DBT, I made the mistake of looking at Facebook. I knew it was bad and the story kept getting worse as I kept sneaking looks at the updating news and I just couldn't focus on the band like I usually can, paranoid fantasy of self-aggrandizement masking fear, and fear, especially vain baseless fear, weakens you. Finally, as Women Without Whiskey started, I had to find a place to sit for a few minutes.

Don't get me wrong--it was a good show, and in terrible times, you need something good and strong. I remember that woman at that Dead show who was moaning in pain from her knee surgery. She was out of pain meds and I stupidly suggested she should hit up an ER for some, like that'll work for a biker chick in Oklahoma City when the Dead are in town. She said, "If I'm going to be in pain, I'd rather be in pain here." At the time, I thought that appalling, but now, I guess I finally got something good from the worst rock show experience I've ever had, thirty-three years after the fact.

So I'm looking forward to tonight. The Dexateens were really, really good and played a lot of material I didn't know. Some of it was probably new and some of it was stuff I just didn't recognize, since I don't have all their records. Where I was standing during DBT, I got lucky again and heard Matt's bass lines clear as a bell most of the time. If I start playing bass seriously again, I think I'll start using a pick more often. I could hear most of the lyrics to The Guns of Umpqua, unlike last time, when I was on the rail in a venue where the sound situation is difficult up front, and Wednesday and Sandwiches for the Road were nice treats. (It was a little weird not to hear Wednesday turn into Ooh La La--that was a stroke of inspiration.) It was good to hear Steve McQueen again, too, and really charming the way Patterson recovered from his brain fart. I was sorry I couldn't clearly hear what Cooley yelled toward the end of the show, right before People Who Died. I'm sure glad I weaseled my way back toward the front for that, where I got a mostly clear view of Patterson and Uncle Ricky rocking out. When it comes down to it, art and people matter in ways most shit don't.

It was good to hang with folks before the show--the Erdlivzes (good on you for waiting to find out the kid's sex! and thanks for letting us scare you with parenting stories), Cubfan06 (that was you, right? I'm such a space case), The Drifter (which he did. I'm not certain he ever sat down with us, and yet he was there), and--man, you don't have a board name, do you? So I won't say it for fear of being indiscreet. I enjoyed getting to tell Elliott how much I loved the Dexateens, too. I probably fanboyed more than I should have, but I'd been trying to see them for so long.

(I plan to buy a ticket at the door tonight, but if anyone has an extra, let me know and I'll buy it from you instead.)
Before People Who Died Cooley yelled, something to the effect of "don't let fear stop us". Fitting.

John A Arkansawyer

Frisky77 wrote:Before People Who Died Cooley yelled, something to the effect of "don't let fear stop us". Fitting.
Nice. Thanks!

I'm thinking about hitting this Italian place Patterson posted about on Facebook for an early dinner tonight: La Scarola. I love Italian, but I'm open to suggestions.

I did hit the Sweet Maple Cafe for breakfast today, and it was indeed pretty sweet. Good scramble with pork products, wonderful home fries, decent biscuit. (I turned out not to have energy for the Art Institute, which kind of breaks my heart, but these things happen.) The Honky Tonk Barbecue place last night was okay, but I just had chicken and a bowl of chili. The chili was not my style--just chunks of beef--but pretty tasty nonetheless. Their sauces weren't exactly flavor-packed, and the hot wasn't. Good chicken, though.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just a few thoughts, for clams.

The Dexateens played a full hour and kicked serious ass. Judging by body language in the crowd they made some fans. Bes bass drum skin logo/slogan ever: this machine kills Americana

Truckers came out perhaps a little rusty, but on the "BTB scale" (number of songs to feel satisfied, they still hit about a 5. Lucky for us the show didn't end there 'cause I thought they kicked it into another gear w/ gravity's gone, led by matt's bass playing

Wednesday was the surprise hit for long time fans and patterson really leaned into the vocals on that one

The birthday boy - girls who smoke duo kicking off the encore,well, smoked

I think there were more women than I've ever seen at a DBT show. As I've explained before based on absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever I think that's a good sign for the band's mainstream potential.

The venue was really spectacular. A fine place to see the rock show and with a built in Michelin starred restaurant to boot!

Nice shout outs to birthday boy uncle Rickey and 50th show attendee Lorna. People who died was sort of mashed up w happy birthday (okay not literally) in an interesting way

More when I have an actual keyboard.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Frisky77 wrote:Before People Who Died Cooley yelled, something to the effect of "don't let fear stop us". Fitting.
Nice. Thanks!

I'm thinking about hitting this Italian place Patterson posted about on Facebook for an early dinner tonight: La Scarola. I love Italian, but I'm open to suggestions.

I did hit the Sweet Maple Cafe for breakfast today, and it was indeed pretty sweet. Good scramble with pork products, wonderful home fries, decent biscuit. (I turned out not to have energy for the Art Institute, which kind of breaks my heart, but these things happen.) The Honky Tonk Barbecue place last night was okay, but I just had chicken and a bowl of chili. The chili was not my style--just chunks of beef--but pretty tasty nonetheless. Their sauces weren't exactly flavor-packed, and the hot wasn't. Good chicken, though.
I haven't been to Honky Tonk yet.....but there's ton of bbq places popping up in Chicago and some of them are kind of mediocre. Not that this northerner is any kind of expert on authentic southern bbq but the best and closest to it I've had in town are http://www.smoquebbq.com/ up on the northwest side and http://blackwoodbbq.com/ which has two downtown locations but are only open during the week.

Tons of Italian options obviously. Sadly I haven't been to La Scarola yet but I've heard nothing but good things. My fav's in Little Italy and the near southside are https://sites.google.com/site/tufanosrestaurant/ and http://www.bacchanaliainchicago.com/ both are authentic, casual, and very good....but again I'll think you'd do quite well with La Scarola.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nice one Bubba! Enjoy tonight.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Bes bass drum skin logo/slogan ever: this machine kills Americana
I think they might've borrowed that from fellow Cornelius Chapel artists Two Cow Garage.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

I found the venue to be outstanding on all fronts. I had heard great things but this was my first tone going to Thalia.

As for Matts bass playing I was on his side, so maybe thats why, but I thought he was turned up real loud. In a good way.

Can't wait for round two tonight!

quote="beantownbubba"]Just a few thoughts, for clams.

The Dexateens played a full hour and kicked serious ass. Judging by body language in the crowd they made some fans. Bes bass drum skin logo/slogan ever: this machine kills Americana

Truckers came out perhaps a little rusty, but on the "BTB scale" (number of songs to feel satisfied, they still hit about a 5. Lucky for us the show didn't end there 'cause I thought they kicked it into another gear w/ gravity's gone, led by matt's bass playing

Wednesday was the surprise hit for long time fans and patterson really leaned into the vocals on that one

The birthday boy - girls who smoke duo kicking off the encore,well, smoked

I think there were more women than I've ever seen at a DBT show. As I've explained before based on absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever I think that's a good sign for the band's mainstream potential.

The venue was really spectacular. A fine place to see the rock show and with a built in Michelin starred restaurant to boot!

Nice shout outs to birthday boy uncle Rickey and 50th show attendee Lorna. People who died was sort of mashed up w happy birthday (okay not literally) in an interesting way

More when I have an actual keyboard.[/quote]

John A Arkansawyer

La Scarola does not disappoint! They are a block off the Blue Line out to O'Hare and open Sunday at four.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Ronnie & Neil
English oceans
Darkened flags
Righteous path
3 dimes
Play it
Bubba
Ghost
Goode's
Devil
Company I keep
Love like this
GG Allin
Marry me
Hell no
Encore
Let There Be Rock
Shit Shots
Lookout
Zip
Grand Canyon

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

11/14

72 This Highways Mean
Ronnie and Neil
Made up English Oceans
Darkened Flags at the Cusp of Dawn
The Righteous Path
3 Dimes Down
Play it All Night Long
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
A Ghost to Most
Goodes Field Road
Where the Devil Don't Stay
The Company I Keep
Love Like This
The Night GG Allin Came to Town
Marry Me
Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Encore

Let There be Rock
Shit Shots Count
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Grand Canyon

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Great show. Band was definitely more animated/into it tonight.
Slightly disappointed that all of the repeats (4 I think) were Cooley songs.
Left Frank, one of these days & lot of others good ones on the table.

John A Arkansawyer

I hope someone caught Patterson's rap in the Zevon medley. It was one for the ages.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I hope someone caught Patterson's rap in the Zevon medley. It was one for the ages.
There was at least one taper tonight. Didn't notice one last night

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Always go to night two
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Always go to night two

Hell yeah! Holy fuckballs!! Absolutely terrific show. BTB scale = 1. Yes, one. They kicked into gear from the first note of 72. Best version I've ever heard by a considerable margin. I need to further contemplate what the difference is between a very fine, totally representative, no disappointments show like friday nite and an all time classic like saturday nite, but there's no doubt the difference is real and obvious to all.

Great crowd both nites but even more full and more enthusiastic and electric on saturday.

More, perhaps a lot more, after i get home.

Most amazing experience of the wkend: A heavy metal burger joint that served outstanding burgers AND serves bourbon on tap :shock: I've never seen anything like that anywhere. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

[quote="beantownbubba"I need to further contemplate what the difference is between a very fine, totally representative, no disappointments show like friday nite and an all time classic like saturday nite, but there's no doubt the difference is real and obvious to all.[/quote]

I always think about this point on the Sunday drive back home after Homecoming.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:Always go to night two

Hell yeah! Holy fuckballs!! Absolutely terrific show. BTB scale = 1. Yes, one. They kicked into gear from the first note of 72. Best version I've ever heard by a considerable margin. I need to further contemplate what the difference is between a very fine, totally representative, no disappointments show like friday nite and an all time classic like saturday nite, but there's no doubt the difference is real and obvious to all.

Great crowd both nites but even more full and more enthusiastic and electric on saturday.

More, perhaps a lot more, after i get home.

Most amazing experience of the wkend: A heavy metal burger joint that served outstanding burgers AND serves bourbon on tap :shock: I've never seen anything like that anywhere. :D
Kuma's is probably the best burger I've ever had.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:Bes bass drum skin logo/slogan ever: this machine kills Americana
I think they might've borrowed that from fellow Cornelius Chapel artists Two Cow Garage.
Doubtful. It's been on that drumhead since at least August 2013.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

chitowntrucker wrote:Great show. Band was definitely more animated/into it tonight.
Slightly disappointed that all of the repeats (4 I think) were Cooley songs.
Left Frank, one of these days & lot of others good ones on the table.
Yeah thats my only real gripe from the show, it was kind of a status quo setlist. Back in September I got One of These Days, Space City, My Sweet Annette and others in one night, so I am a little spoiled.

Patterson's guitars seemed to be turned down a bit low, and Matt's bass up a little high in parts of the show. Though it seemed to depend on where I was standing, sometimes it was fine, sometimes it was a bit off. Still a good night, and a rock solid show.

Hoping a recording turns up, finding a recording of a show you attended is like Christmas.

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:
Doubtful. It's been on that drumhead since at least August 2013.
I would've sworn that was where I first saw it, but I cannot prove it via Mister Google--though I see where I claimed it was so over a year ago--and therefore I believe you are right that it came from them.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I guess all the good stuff ends up on the book of face. Those were two great nights of music.
I think some of the magic from Saturday was due to the surprise (to most) arrival of the Swamps!
It surely lit up the rail birds and musicians alike. There were times when it seemed the whole band
seemed to be playing directly at us. (I was smart enough to be behind them.)

I saw some great pictures of the band and group of 3DDers, but none have made it here as of yet.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Pretty excellent review of the two shows here:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/l ... -and-1114/