BTCD picked as one of the 300 best albums since SPIN began

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

BTCD picked as one of the 300 best albums since SPIN began

Post by Bill in CT »

http://www.spin.com/2015/05/the-300-bes ... e=facebook

While I'm glad they put a DBT album on this list, it's not the one I would have chosen if they were only putting one DBT album on this list.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

PeterG

Re: BTCD picked as one of the 300 best albums since SPIN beg

Post by PeterG »

I figured that BTCD was chosen for the current themes of many of the songs on the album.
Then I read the list and that was exactly why they chose it to land in the top 200...
Can't say I agree with a lot of the placements on the list, but glad to see a DBT record in the top 200.
Thanks for the link Bill.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Hello? Is anybody alive out there?

I know as well as anybody that it's just one more list by just one more publication, but it's a pretty respected publication and as these things go, this seems to me to be an incredible honor. Something really special. Just do the math. 300 albums over 30 years is obviously 10/yr. So not only does BTCD make the top 10 for a year, it makes the top 2/3 of all the top 10's for 30 years. Now consider that most publications do at least a top 40. That's a minimum of 1,200 really good albums (if all publications picked the same 40 albums which they obviously don't) and BTCD was selected as one of the top 16% of that pretty exclusive list. When you start to think of all the albums released during that time, the numbers get real impressive real soon: Even if you limit the field to, say, 10 albums a month, which is a small fraction of the actual number of albums released, that's 3,600 albums, of which BTCD was selected as being among the top five percent. I don't know about the rest of you, but that seems pretty damn impressive to me.

Now consider that of the, say, 250 or so regular contributors to this site, no more than 20* would put BTCD ahead of any of the Holy Trinity much less all of them, and one has to make one of 2 assumptions: Either DBT is a pretty fucking amazing band with no less than 4 of the top 200 albums of the past 30 years or since Spin can't even pick the best DBT album it doesn't matter what they think the best 300 albums are. I'll take door #1.

Plus Patterson Hood is now a certified national treasure. How about that? :D

*just my guess
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more notice/traction. Are we boycotting Spin? Is there some other issue that everybody else knows about except me (and bill & peter)? I can't possibly believe that we're tired of talking about lists and rankings and positive recognition for DBT.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more notice/traction. Are we boycotting Spin? Is there some other issue that everybody else knows about except me (and bill & peter)? I can't possibly believe that we're tired of talking about lists and rankings and positive recognition for DBT.
It's garnered plenty of discussion in this thread but not necessarily for the inclusion of Brighter Than Creation's Dark.

SPIN picks top 300 albums since 1985

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I'm really surprised that this thread hasn't gotten more notice/traction. Are we boycotting Spin? Is there some other issue that everybody else knows about except me (and bill & peter)? I can't possibly believe that we're tired of talking about lists and rankings and positive recognition for DBT.
It's garnered plenty of discussion in this thread but not necessarily for the inclusion of Brighter Than Creation's Dark.

SPIN picks top 300 albums since 1985
Thanks KG, I'll check out that thread.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

It's a list of 300. Never mind.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.