RIP Robert "Newt" Carter

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

RIP Robert "Newt" Carter

Post by CooleyGirl »

The DBT family lost a crew member today. It's with a heavy heart I write that Newt passed away today. For those of you who didn't know Newt, he had been running sound and was most recently the guitar tech. Our condolences, love and hugs to the entire DBT family.

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

uncle rickey

Re: RIP Robert "Newt" Carter

Post by uncle rickey »

Just horrible, devastating, heartbreaking news. Newt was never anything less than genuinely sweet and decent to us. RIP.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Oh no! This is horrible news. My condolences to the members of the band, crew and everyone who knew him.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

A true gentleman. RIP Newton
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Terrible news. Our condolences go out the whole DBT family. RIP Newt.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Sad news to wake up to on a Monday morning. Lots of love to all of the DBT family.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

FROM DBT FACEBOOK:
Y'all,

We are heartbroken to report that our dear friend, comrade and family member, Robert Newton "Newt" Carter has passed away.

Newt was a great musician and soundman among many many other talents.

He was also a larger than life presence in our touring company for several years.

Over the next few weeks, I'm sure that everyone will be sharing all kinds of amazing Newt stories and many of them will be true. He cut a wide swath through this life he lived and we are all the better for having known him. In the time I knew I him I learned to always expect the unexpected. He was a hilarious man with the greatest deadpan delivery ever. We shared some big adventures and many laughs.

I'm sure that we will be soon announcing plans for a memorial of some sort and we will do our best to keep everyone posted.

It's all still sinking in. We all knew that Newt had survived cancer. He had basically fought off a death sentence and lived to tell about it for the better part of a decade. I didn't really know him back then, but when he told me about it a couple of years ago, again, it was with that nonchalant delivery that you would use to describe a trip to the store. In retrospect, I guess he hadn't seemed quite right of late and we all worried about him, but he was secretive about his condition till the end. This made the news all the more shocking, yet also makes perfect sense in keeping with the Newt we all knew and loved.

We will all certainly be raising many a glass to his honor in the upcoming days. He's a left quite a void but I'm sure he'd prefer for us to be laughing at the many joyous and hilarious memories he left us with.

We love you Newt! R.I.P.

Sincerely,
The Drive-By Truckers Family

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

very sad news. Was always a sweet guy as well as a really great guy to talk to.
Very sharp with a great sense of humor.

I will miss him.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I'm very sorry to hear this news - my heart goes out to his family.

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

There will be a Memorial Celebration for Newt on Sunday August 9th at Nuci's Space from 1:00 - 3:00