Richmond VA Oct 29-30

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Richmond VA Oct 29-30

Post by Jonicont »

The Black Canary wrote:Hell I even purchased a Halloween thong!!!!

That's really too much information
Always go to the show

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Jonicont wrote:

so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

The Black Canary wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Danger Will Robinson, Danger
Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

ramonz wrote:Been off the 3DD too damn long - I'm letting life get in the way :)

Sorry if all this info is in the thread, but can someone let me (and others) know:

1) Where are the 3DD-ers gathering before the show SAT night?
2) Dinner and drinks, or just drinks?
2) What time?
3) You guys wearing costumes?
4) Anything else worth mentioning?

Thanks!
ramonz

Not sure where/when folks are meeting on Sat night, keep your eye on this thread, there are enough of us 3 dd ers going to these shows that I"m sure somebody will post details once it is figured out.

Patterson is doing an in store solo performance at 3:00 on Sat, then there is a Wes Freed art show. I'm betting a bunch of us will be heading to those before the show.

I'm considering wearing a costume, but I know some folks are not. I get the sense it will be 50/50.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

The Black Canary

CG go for it!!!!!

The count down is on!!!!! 24 hours and few beers and the fun really begins!!!!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Local story about Patterson and Jay Leavitt.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertain ... ar-591514/

Please note Patterson says "We are going to do everything we can to make these Richmond Halloween shows special" :D
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Likely my last post before I see all you fine folks in Richmond! We're firing up the snowmobiles and will begin our trek from the Great White North tonight after work. Should be at the Marriott mid afternoon tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone at some point this weekend.

We will be dressed as Canadians :lol:

Wishing you all a safe travel my friends! See you soon!!
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

AprilTwister wrote:
We will be dressed as Canadians :lol:

Scary
Always go to the show

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

This whole thread is becoming scary! Y'all doing that on purpose?

The Black Canary

mark lynn wrote:This whole thread is becoming scary! Y'all doing that on purpose?

It is Halloween weekend. The one time of the year you get to be anyone but yourself!!!!

I am going for the exact oposite of me this year. Going as a female, biker serial killer!!!! had to ship the ax and shotgun down via USPS earlier this week :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

meanjoegreen

Post by meanjoegreen »

mark lynn wrote:This whole thread is becoming scary! Y'all doing that on purpose?

Halloween Scary Like the Strangers movie......i'm scared.......

The Black Canary

meanjoegreen wrote:

Halloween Scary Like the Strangers movie......i'm scared.......

OMG what a bunch of pussies!!!!! Grow a pair gentlemen!!!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Merry Christmas!
OK, I know it is the Halloween shows, but here's what happened. My parents wanted to get us a camera for Christmas, but wanted us to have it before we leave for Europe. So, I ordered said camera on Tues, around 11:00 am. I chose the cheaper, 3-5 days shipping option. I got home yesterday, Wed, and there is the camera! Now I have a new toy for the Richmond shows, so Merry Christmas!

ElGordo

Post by ElGordo »

OK, just dropping in because this looked like the place to get info on the show. I've got an epic weekend planned. My wife and I are flying in from Oregon tomorrow for the Friday night show, then headed to DC for the rally on Saturday. We're staying at the Marriott. A couple of quick questions, since I've never been to the National before: Do shows usually start on time? Tickets say 8pm, will there be any music before 9? Is there much to do in the neighborhood pre-show? And is it affordable to drink in the venue, or am I looking at a tab full of $6 bottles of PBR? We're super excited for the show and will do our best to shake off the jet lag tomorrow night.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

CooleyGirl wrote:Merry Christmas!
OK, I know it is the Halloween shows, but here's what happened. My parents wanted to get us a camera for Christmas, but wanted us to have it before we leave for Europe. So, I ordered said camera on Tues, around 11:00 am. I chose the cheaper, 3-5 days shipping option. I got home yesterday, Wed, and there is the camera! Now I have a new toy for the Richmond shows, so Merry Christmas!

Even though I rarely use a flash, I was planning on bringing a camera too, until I read the FAQ on the National's website. Not sure how strict they are about this though. Anyone know?

Does The National allow audio and video taping? What about cameras?

We do allow audio taping BUT (and this is a big BUT) only if the artist approves. We discourage, however, the use of video cameras and film cameras because the bright lights and flashes distract the artists and also disrupt other patrons’ experiences. If you really need a tangible memento from a concert buy a T-shirt, bumper sticker or more tickets.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

ElGordo wrote:OK, just dropping in because this looked like the place to get info on the show. I've got an epic weekend planned. My wife and I are flying in from Oregon tomorrow for the Friday night show, then headed to DC for the rally on Saturday. We're staying at the Marriott. A couple of quick questions, since I've never been to the National before: Do shows usually start on time? Tickets say 8pm, will there be any music before 9? Is there much to do in the neighborhood pre-show? And is it affordable to drink in the venue, or am I looking at a tab full of $6 bottles of PBR? We're super excited for the show and will do our best to shake off the jet lag tomorrow night.

There's enough to do "in the neighborhood" pre-show, but it's not as happening as other parts of Richmond that are slightly further away. For the coolest slice of Richmond, head down to Shockoe Slip/Bottom, but you would need to drive (might be better post-show). There' a bar and restaurant, Gibson's, attached to the National, and it's a pretty nice, upscale place that will fit your basic needs. The Marriott a couple blocks up Broad has an upscale sports bar on the main/ground level. Penny Lane Pub, on Grace St., is a British style pub with a good beer selection, and it's about a four block walk. Capital Ale House on Main St. is probably my recommendation among the walking distance bars. It's about a 4-5 block walk, but it's a cool, spacious bar and also has lots of beers to choose from -- definitely a pretty popular place! (http://www.capitalalehouse.com/locations/downtown.php)

Shows never start on time at the National. My greatest frustration with them is their refusal to post set times on the show days. I doubt the Truckers see the stage before 10:00. That's usually about how it goes with any band there. Sometimes I will call them the day of show and they'll give me an informal set time, but usually the headliner comes out later than they say. Bobby Bare probably starts around 8:45 or 9:00, I'm thinking, so plan accordingly.

Beer prices at the National definitely suck. $5 for 12 oz. cups of domestic beer (including PBR) and $6/cup for everything else. No tall boys or any more economical beer options available (mixed drinks are equally overpriced). These people that drink PBR for $5 instead of Newcastle for $6 are out of their fucking minds, IMO. But yeah, sneak in a flask or drink plenty beforehand if you don't want to run up a hefty tab over the course of the show!

Hope you enjoy Richmond!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

it's here. Waitin' at the airport
Always go to the show

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Couldn't sleep past 6 am, feeling like a kid at Chistmas. Drove to south NJ last night to stay with our buddy. Hitting the road as soon as Uncle Rickey is ready. What a switch, I'm waiting for him for a change!

I never use flash at shows anyway, I worry it would bother the band. So I'm hoping to use my camera at the show, I have never been to Richmond, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I hate u all. :D

HAVE A GREAT FUCKIN' TIME AT THE ROCK SHOW!!!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

farmerbill

Post by farmerbill »

Does anybody know how to get to Richmond? The Band looked like they might have been saving a little bit for the weekend?? Only 350 miles and 12 hours to go.........................Hey El gordo..nice to know another Oregonian will be in attendance. There will be a familiar aroma from the State of Jefferson in the air tonight!!A set list from last night is on the Boone thread.. So do you think we might get a Zip City tonight? I am thinking yea!

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

My boy Keith's father in law's band Tim Morgan And The Mojo Brothers are doing a blues thing today beginning at 5:30 at Capital Ale House. That's just a real short and safe walk from The National. Looking forward to the weekend.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Enjoy the show. My son and I are leaving first thing in the morning (Sat) and will be at the in store and the art exhibit.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

RevMatt wrote:Enjoy the show. My son and I are leaving first thing in the morning (Sat) and will be at the in store and the art exhibit.

Saw a bunch of Gun Club vinyl yesterday that Jay just got in at Deep Groove. It looked close to mint yo.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

What's he got? Man, I love me some Gun Club. My proudest moment as a musician is when my band opened for them in 1984 at The Jetty in Bloomfield, NJ. I was doing a month of active duty with the 19th Army Band in Fort Dix and had to go awol for that gig. Funny story how I had to split after I ruined a parade in Newark, NJ.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

RevMatt wrote:Man, I love me some Gun Club.

No!You never mentioned it before. Which was why I mentioned it :D

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

ElGordo wrote:We're staying at the Marriott. A couple of quick questions, since I've never been to the National before: Do shows usually start on time? Tickets say 8pm, will there be any music before 9? Is there much to do in the neighborhood pre-show? And is it affordable to drink in the venue, or am I looking at a tab full of $6 bottles of PBR? We're super excited for the show and will do our best to shake off the jet lag tomorrow night.
You'll love the walk from the Marriott. No matter how blind you get you'll be able to find your way to the National and back.

Doors open at 7PM. Mark is right, the shows usually start late.

The drinks aren't cheap but are strong - especially the bar right in front as you walk in. Guys, The National is a kick ass venue. The sound is excellent and the band seems hyped for the shows.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Just checked into my room at the Hilton. So what are plans for the evening?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I got called into my son's school today. He got in a fight. On the way to the car he asked if he was in trouble. I said "No" because 1)the other kid started it and 2) we're going to see Drive by Truckers tomorrow. He's stoked. His first rawk show!

26miledrive

Post by 26miledrive »

Hey folks. Hittin' the show tonight, my third. Fired up. If you see a balding fellow in a black Virginia Tech shirt, feel free to say hello.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'm the big Guy in a grateful dead shirt and sandals. Upstairs @ Gibsons currently