Richmond VA Oct 29-30

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Richmond VA Oct 29-30

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Black Canary wrote:I am still wired from this weekend. Don't need sleep I am bouncing off this weekend, the music, the people, I am a very happy camper!!!!

Sounds like it was a hell of a time. Good for you BC.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:I am still wired from this weekend. Don't need sleep I am bouncing off this weekend, the music, the people, I am a very happy camper!!!!

Sounds like it was a hell of a time. Good for you BC.

GrannyPanties and The Black Canary
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Listening to the show from the 30th (up on etree) Just finished Righteous Path. That was one bad ass version.

Great show so far. Great sound too! Glad you all had a great time!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Did the Bonds make an appearance?
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Did the Bonds make an appearance?

Yep! It wouldn't be a Richmond show without that crew.

EDIT: Here's some pics from Friday.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Maluca3 wrote:My whole body hurts.

That will teach you to volunteer. :lol: :lol:
Always go to the show

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

What a weekend! I met a bunch of 3DDers, and you are some very fine people. I spent Friday night playing phone tag w/BC, before my phone died. So she tells me she's got curly hair, and I thought I zeroed in on her up @ the rail. This huge fuckin' gorilla w/a mohawk won't let me through. I tell him I'm w/Emily. I point her out & he gets her attention & she tells him she isn't Emily. She kindly enough tells him I'm w/them though, and he tells everyone to let the old guy through (ouch). Turns out this 'Emily' is really Cooley Girl (though I didn't know it then).
Before the show I had been chatting w/a couple of guys who told me they had seen DBT @ a festival in W. VA & loved them. I told them that the only show I had ever seen in Almost Heaven was 30+ years ago @ Shenandoah Downs. It was J. Geils, Mahogany Rush & Atlanta Rhythm Section. Tim said he really dug ARS (which I thought was odd). Anyway, the Truckers do Road Cases & Patterson was tellin' how early on he was envious of the road cases of the fuckin' Atlanta Rhythm Section of all people. Another one of those interconnectedness of it all moments. Me and the mohawk sorta bonded (if him drunkenly slobberin' in my ear can be called that). The Truckers were ridiculously good. Cooley might be the coolest dude ever (had Clint Eastwood never been born). He somehow manages to shred a guitar, while lookn' like he's eye fuckin' your old lady (and you just KNOW she's checkin' him out). This band is really in a groove now, and smoked through a sizzling set followed by a scorching encore. They really wailed.
After the show, I'm in the Marriott bar; knockin' back a Jack & ginger. I see the lady who rescued me @ the show. She's w/a group who turn out to be 3DDers: April Twister & meanjoegreen, Cooley Girl & uncle ricky, Jonicont & Maluca 3 (rubbing shoulders w/Moderators I was) & Bill in CT & Maluca 3s fella (who is a fascinating guy, but whose name & 3DD handle elude my drunken recollection. Sorry about that). I could quickly tell that I was in the company of people whose love of DBT made my own fanaticism seem like a schoolboy crush. They are all extremely nice, down to Earth folks, as well. We crashed relatively early in anticipation of Round 2 of rockin' Richmond.
The next morning I'm puffin' my cigarillo outside the hotel; when who comes strollin' by, but Patterson himself. He was walkin w/a purpose, so I didn't bother him (and as fate would have it, I did meet him later that day). I hooked up w/the elusive Black Canary prior to the in-store show. She is just as zany in person as you might imagine. She tells it like it is with a lovely Boston accent that was music to my ears. Speakin' of music, I bought SRO & Decoration Day on vinyl @ the Deep Groove (and a Dick Dale record to boot). Patterson opened w/Too Much Sex & 9 Bullets & that warmed up the crowd stuffed into this breezy alley. I was behind him in an unusual vantage point. His singing is really cathartic. That,and the Marriott's excellent Bloody Marys, were just what the doctor ordered. Afterward, he was very relaxed and gracious in meeting the peanut gallery. He took pictures w/kids & family and signed anything that was pushed in front of him. I got my newly acquired SRO signed; but couldn't think of none of the cool shit I was gonna tell him if I ever met him. I shook his hand & told him I was pleased to meet him. He seems like a very nice man. I also got to meet littlemama behind the alley. It so happens that she was the lady from Texas, who I followed into the show on Fri. night. I am here to tell you that she does look better than the smoking Amish girl in the Steampunk thread. She is also very nice.
I made it over to Plan 9 and met Wes Freed. He seemed a bit standoffish, but I might've imagined that. He graciously signed a poster for me anyway. I got another poster of the last 9:30 show, too. His artwork is truly amazing. I saw uncle ricky, and he told me to check out the vinyl in the basement. I found an old Yardbirds record that was callin' my name. Patterson was there as well, checkin' out stuff in the bins, and signing more autographs.
One more Bloody Mary and I was ready for the Halloween show. uncle ricky was @ the rail w/ Bill. There was Bob (another 3DDer?) and Maluca 3 was filming. Cooley Girl was filming elsewhere. littlemama was front & center. BC popped up doing justice to a Little Red Riding Hood outfit. There were a lot of good costumes, the best being this dude dressed up like the monkey from the Big To-Do. Another guy up front was Elvis w/a wish list of songs for the band written on a piece of cardboard (later Cooley thanked the guy for suggesting Panties). We met some die hard DBT fans, Bill & Eric from D.C., who remembered me & the mohawk dude from the night before. Before i get into the Truckers, I'd like to say how fuckin' very impressed I was w/the opening act Bobby Bear. Great songs, great sound, cookin' ass bass player. I highly recommend.
Bill & Eric knew every word to Your Woman... Fuckin' troopers. DBT came out as cops and the place went bonkers. Gorilla w/a mohawk was back w/even more testosterone than the night before (if that was possible). The whole crowd seemed ratcheted up a notch or 3. There was much angling for position, and Bob and I helped uncle ricky protect Malucas filming operation. Mohawk was especially pushy and Bob looked like he was gonna nail him 3 or 4 times but thought the better of it. I was thinkin' if the monster let me have the first 8 punches to his face, I was still gonna get an ass whoopin'. Much to my relief he backed off a touch. This tiny thing in a white dress & raccoon eyes pushes up during People on the Moon. She says she's Mary Alice and needs to get to the front so the band can see her. I couldn't decide if she was the outlaws wife or the in the ground Mary Alice. I let her through. The band rocked on. It was absolutely amazing. I looked over and nothing, I mean nothing was more radiant than littlemamas face, in rapture over a rock show for the ages. I knew where she was comin' from. DBT had 'em rockin' in the rafters. Me and some cutie in a flapper dress sang Ain't Got No Good Intentions to each other. Life was good. Finally, the pulsating night was over and I made it back to the hotel.
I shared a brief elevator encounter w/RevMatt (who a made a good 1st impression) and partied into the wee hours w/a bunch of provacative 3DDers (incl the amazing Bill in CT). Charlie, the merch dealer for the band, came late and regaled us w/many Runyonesque tales. He is quite a character. I had a lot of fun, and got trashed.
Driving home I dwelled on the wonderful weekend. For some reason I was sad that they hadn't played Carl Perkin's Cadillac. It's been a while since I've heard them do that. Oh well, there's always one more show to do.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

alsum post ^^
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Meeting u littlemamma behind the alley, huh?

You dog. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Slip...you must have been right behind me. I was the big dude on malucas left...right in front of Elvis and the a-hole.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:alsum post ^^

I concur.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

The Black Canary

Clams wrote:
Smitty wrote:alsum post ^^

I concur.

DOUBLE DITTO!!!!!!!

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

Note to self:

Always book the Monday following a weekend with DBT and fellow 3DD'ers off.

btw,

Does anyone know when they start taking reservations for The Seniors Section in Athens??
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Great post Slip. Nice meeting you and thanks for running interference for Maluca
Always go to the show

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Slipkid42 wrote:Charlie, the merch dealer for the band, came late and regaled us w/many Runyonesque tales. He is quite a character. I had a lot of fun, and got trashed.

Great post but who is this Charlie and what happened to Craig??
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

The Black Canary

Swamp wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Charlie, the merch dealer for the band, came late and regaled us w/many Runyonesque tales. He is quite a character. I had a lot of fun, and got trashed.

Great post but who is this Charlie and what happened to Craig??

Typo, Craig was there. Or Charlie might have been the kid that was there at the beginning of the shows. But Craig was the man!!!! Love that guy!!!!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Phew. Just now recovered. Saturday night was certainly the best all-around DBT show I've seen in years.

It had it all: almost 3 hours long, two great new tunes, the always-appreciated Patterson-Cooley laughing/interplay, Cooley with a big 'ol buzz, Neff smiling and into it (and on fire) and tossing out candy from his "donuts" box, costumes(!), enthusiastic crowd, meeting a bunch of 3DD-ers (old friends and new friends), Patterson pre-show show, Wes Freed art show, beautiful weather. It had it all.

Really enjoyed and appreciated meeting Cooley Girl and RevMatt for the first time. What really, really good folks. And reconnecting w/ BostonReb and Pittsyltucky was a blast.

But I think the thing I loved about the show more than anything was that it gave me a full appreciation for the DBT "family." The BAND completely delivering on a show that had been built up to very high expectations, and FRIENDS/FANS helping each other out and supporting each other. We were all in it together, band and friends, and it felt great!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great enthusiastic post Slip. I had a big ol' weekend of DBT in my home town.

This is just my humble opinion, of course, but I'd have to say
Friday night's show kicked the ass of the show on Saturday night.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch »

great weekend.
special thanks to Uncle Rickey and Cooleygirl for driving us around town.

nice venue, great people, Both shows kicked ass, DBT have never sounded better.

This post has been brought to you by:

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Wow. Incredible weekend. Didn't get home til midnight last night/this morning. Going to a Felice Brothers show tonight. At work now, so I can't post too much. Great meeting new friends and hanging out more with the usual suspects. Tried out the new camera Fri night and will share the results when I can. I was really happy with it, the thing has 1 heck of a zoom!

Sat night, Damon and Colin were dressed as prisoners, Cole as a jail bird, (prisoner costume but with chicken head, legs). During Your Woman is a Living thing, Cole dances across the stage flapping his "wings" during "keep pluckin" Coach Jonicont made a game time decision and chose me as the sub. I made my debut as a filmer on Sat night! It was very exciting, and I hope it turned out ok. I was 1 of 5 cameras and my assignment was Neff, a bit of Jay, a bit of Brad, and a bit of Patterson. A huge thank you to PBRman, BostonReb and Ramonz for running interference for me as I taped. It was not an easy task to keep a high energy crowd at bay while I tried to keep the camera steady, so I really, really appreciate it! Good thing I exercise and do yoga, I was doing backbends at some points to get the shots when Neff and PH came right up to the edge of the stage to ham it up for the camera. PH even got down on his knees during People Who Died, right in front of my camera, and gave me the mic for a second while I was filming. What a moment!

I've got tons more to say, but better get to work now. To be continued...
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

wow, glad you all had a great time!
BC sounds like you did especially.
love the stories, keep em coming.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

The Seniors Section aka The Rail, Ms. Twister? :)

What a great weekend. Good friends, good food (French crepes and rose' wine for lunch before the rock show... oh la la!) great times! Slip's post covered most of the bases, but I have to reiterate that the crew down on Cooleyside on Saturday was awesome. Slip, Bob, Hef and his amigo were an amazing first line of defense against drunken mohawk dude. THANK YOU! Tyler, you're one of us early bird nerds now. :) And Elvis/Jeff was definitely IN the building. As always it was great to see the usual suspects: Gretsch and AptrilTwister, CooleyGirl and UncleRIckey, Bill (the devil with a giant bottle of Jack), my neighbors Mr/Mrs MeanJoe, Smiling SeanP, finally meeting Little Mamma, meeting Dave and Jenny's hard core DBT fan kids, seeing Jonathan of Denver, the best of Boston (BC, Reb and Kristin), Andy Susanne and Raychel (who is not "little Raychel" anymore!) and the amazingly patient-with-video-newbies Jonicont! I'm sure I'm leaving someone off because the brain fog is still on me. Surely did miss some of the usual crew too, who didn't make the trip this time.

Both nights were fantastic shows. I got my own personal faves, as well as some things that don't show up much (Sands of Iwo Jima, the Deeper In), and clearly the energy of the cop costumes (or perhaps it might have been the sugar from all the donuts) propelled the band through 30 songs on Saturday. That gets an "alsum" for sure. Richmond is such a great town, with great energy and people. It sort of feels like the Athens Annex.

And now it's time to rest up for New Year's Eve...

p.s. Elvis and the a-hole sounds like the name of a new comedy series.
and p.p.s. the guy in the Dead Drunk and Naked outfit with X's on his eyes was terrific.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Tyler wrote:Order of the main set is very...iffy. Think I got all the songs now though. The entire band was really on fire, especially Cooley. Even Neff was getting into it.

Tyler, it was great meeting and hanging with ya. You've got all the songs, but here's the order on Saturday for the exceedingly nerdy among us:

Used To Be A Cop
3 Dimes Down
Lookout Mountain
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Drag the Lake Charlie
Birthday Boy
Ray's Automatic Weapon
Panties in Your Purse
The Deeper In
Bulldozers and Dirt
One of These Days
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Get Downtown
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
This Fucking Job
Gravity's Gone
Life in the Factory
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Puttin' People on the Moon
Encore:
Zip City
Tornadoes
Eyes Like Glue
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Buttholeville-->
State Trooper
People Who Died

I couldn't possibly expand on Slipkid's epic post, except to say it was great getting to spend some attorney-client time with you, brother. Same goes for every 3DD'er I was lucky enough to connect with over the weekend. Shout-outs would read like a neverending Oscar speech, so I'll conclude by adding a heartfelt +1 to this:

ramonz wrote:But I think the thing I loved about the show more than anything was that it gave me a full appreciation for the DBT "family." The BAND completely delivering on a show that had been built up to very high expectations, and FRIENDS/FANS helping each other out and supporting each other. We were all in it together, band and friends, and it felt great!

A-fuckin'-men.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Swamp - That wasn't a typo, that was a brain fart. He wasn't Charlie, he was Craig! I might not remember his name, but that is a face I will not soon forget (and I mean that w/love & respect).
I now know that I didn't meet April Twister (though I was in close proximity); but instead met meanjoegreen's lovely wife (who I'm pretty sure I called Christine [A.T.s other name]). I thought they were Canadians the whole time. I wondered why they didn't sound hoser. I'd like to blame my poor name retention on alcohol, but I'm feeble-minded as well.

Tyler - I know who you are now. Maluca is right; you were huggin' the rail in the alley, too. You're a man w/a plan. I talked w/you after the show (Sat.). I had on a black shirt w/vertical fire stripes. You're a beast of a fan w/energy & passion. I like it.

Rocky - Part of me wants to agree w/you on the Fri.>Sat. thing. Fri. night's show was fantastic! I'm not sure that if you heard the 2 shows on tape, Fri. wouldn't be better (prolly just splittin' hairs). Sat. night was a spectacle which will not easily be topped: the costumes, opening w/Used to be a Cop, the energy, the wackier crowd, the dude in the back who yelled for Bobby Bear to play some song he'd already played (to which Bobby tongue lashed him for being late), Cooley sayin' how great Halloween was, 'coz it's the one day of the year when men get to dress like cops, and women like cheap whores; and everyone gets to act like Catholics (which elicited a few catcalls followed by Cooley flippin' off whoever behind his back, as he retreated for another swig [priceless, that was]), Shonna as one of Richmond's finest; reaffirming my love for women in uniforms, this dude who looked like a walking condom (D,D & Naked), Neff spreadin' love like the Candyman... I could go on & on about Sat.. Halloween brings out the goofball in everyone.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

The Black Canary

Girls being silly

many DBT girls gone wild!!!

Warren, Adam and Crystal Facebook DBT die hard fans!!!!

Black Canary and Crystal (not on board) but a cute little blond nonetheless

less we not forget the Halloween part of the evening!!!! Yall

Just proving that Craig was there and he was with a BANG!!!!
Last edited by The Black Canary on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

WWOC, BC!!!

(captions).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

I was talking to Gorilla Mohawk guy for a few minutes after the show Saturday. He seemed nice enough - just a bit over exuberant...
Now it's dark.

greendirtgirl

Post by greendirtgirl »

Shew....still shaking out the cobwebs from the weekend...After seeing the pics up on here...I realized that I met Black Canary in the bathroom...hahahaha....you commented on my tattoos. Great shows...will gather my thoughts and post back soon.Glad everyone had a blast!!!

The Black Canary

greendirtgirl wrote:Shew....still shaking out the cobwebs from the weekend...After seeing the pics up on here...I realized that I met Black Canary in the bathroom...hahahaha....you commented on my tattoos. Great shows...will gather my thoughts and post back soon.Glad everyone had a blast!!!

Cool beans!!!! What can I say I like ink and I liked you!!! right off the bat!!!