Patterson: The South’s Heritage Is So Much More Than a Flag

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mike127

Patterson: The South’s Heritage Is So Much More Than a Flag

Post by Mike127 »

Surprised to see this hadn't been posted yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/magaz ... -flag.html

On point as always.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Patterson: The South’s Heritage Is So Much More Than a F

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I just saw this and was coming to post it. I am so very proud of Patterson today.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I just saw this and was coming to post it. I am so very proud of Patterson today.
Agreed - the best piece I've seen written on this topic since this controversy blew up.

Interestingly, I've seen alot of pieces being written recently that use his phrase "the duality of the Southern thing" without attribution, or any DBT related context - its truly entered the lexicon for anyone who writes about the South, yet the band rarely plays the song anymore due to the misinterpretations of some.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Proud of the glory, stare down the shame

Thanks Patterson.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm a little disappointed he didn't suggest the moonshine flag, but otherwise first rate and, given the people I know, nice to be able to say "dbt" and "new york times" in the same sentence :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

As usual he is spot on with what he says and how he says it. Well done, Patterson.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Thanks to watching those genological shows I watch, there's a posibility I'm related to Black Beard. I'm gonna start flying a scull and crossbones to represent my heritage.
sorry about the spelling. I'm from the south
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Mark Kemp author of Dixie Lullaby on Patterson's article.

http://m.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2015/07 ... imes-essay
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

BigTom wrote:Mark Kemp author of Dixie Lullaby on Patterson's article.

Back in 2012, when Skynyrd talked about doing away with the Confederate flag there was a backlash from their fans. Instead, they compromised by using a hybrid of the Confederate and U.S. flags. Long ago, Ronnie Van Zant wanted to do away with it but gave in to pressure from MCA. Ronnie Van Zant saw it as little more than a gimmick.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Back in 2012, when Skynyrd talked about doing away with the Confederate flag there was a backlash from their fans. Instead, they compromised by using a hybrid of the Confederate and U.S. flags. Long ago, Ronnie Van Zant wanted to do away with it but gave in to pressure from MCA. Ronnie Van Zant saw it as little more than a gimmick.

I've always found it interesting how Ronnie's clearly progressive/liberal political stances went right over the head of his audience. "Saturday Night Special" couldn't be more literal in it's anti-hand gun stance, for example.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

yep.

but then Johnny takes it right back to the other direction.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:yep.

but then Johnny takes it right back to the other direction.
Indeed he does. I think they even made a recent album called "God & Guns" or something to that effect. I get that everyone wants to make a living and succeed financially, but he's really shit on his brother's legacy, IMO.

Kudzu Guillotine

People love to say that Ronnie Van Zant would think this or that about certain subjects or that he also would have eventually become a Republican but the truth of the matter is, no one knows.

Another thing that tends to drive me up the wall is when they do these CMT Crossroads things with the likes of Montgomery Gentry and Brantley Gilbert align themselves with Kid Rock. To my knowledge, Ronnie Van Zant's country music influences were Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Bob Wills and Jimmie Rodgers. To the best of my recollection, this post-crash version of the band has never even hinted at those influences.

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Thanks for posting this - I really enjoyed Dixie Lullaby and in particular the way Kemp was able to draw a throughline from The Allman Bros & Marshall Tucker right into R.E.M. and DBT. I had no idea Mills & Berry had worked for Phil Walden before they went to Athens.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:People love to say that Ronnie Van Zant would think this or that about certain subjects or that he also would have eventually become a Republican but the truth of the matter is, no one knows.

Another thing that tends to drive me up the wall is when they do these CMT Crossroads things with the likes of Montgomery Gentry and Brantley Gilbert align themselves with Kid Rock. To my knowledge, Ronnie Van Zant's country music influences were Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Bob Wills and Jimmie Rodgers. To the best of my recollection, this post-crash version of the band has never even hinted at those influences.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say I have some special insight into RVZ, just pointing the complete 180 that modern "Skynyrd" is to what Ronnie was doing, philosophically.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:People love to say that Ronnie Van Zant would think this or that about certain subjects or that he also would have eventually become a Republican but the truth of the matter is, no one knows.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say I have some special insight into RVZ, just pointing the complete 180 that modern "Skynyrd" is to what Ronnie was doing, philosophically.
Agreed with you on that point. Apologies if I didn't make myself clear.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I've always found it interesting how Ronnie's clearly progressive/liberal political stances went right over the head of his audience. "Saturday Night Special" couldn't be more literal in it's anti-hand gun stance, for example.
I know there's always been a segment of the US that fears gun control, but I'm not sure it was a defining "conservative" issue in the 70's. Anyone who was actually around then wanna concur or correct?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

No gun control wasn't the same issue then. Handgun control was discussed and implemented in various ways in large cities but to illustrate how different it was the NRA was very pro gun registration at that point and favored certain limits on gun ownership while still representing their rural base. That tide started to turn in the Reagan administration.

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Hey Swamp. We are related!
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

njMark

Post by njMark »

Great article as per usual by Patterson. Only question I have and I'm sure growing up in the northeast I'm inclined to see it this way, but, seeing the federal troops as an invading army is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

njMark wrote:Great article as per usual by Patterson. Only question I have and I'm sure growing up in the northeast I'm inclined to see it this way, but, seeing the federal troops as an invading army is a bit of a stretch isn't it?
Perspective, Mark. Federal did not mean the same thing then.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:That tide started to turn in the Reagan administration.
Yes - quite dramatically so: in a hail of bullets fired at The Gipper himself by a psychopath wielding a revolver.

That NYT article is just fantastic. A credible and intelligible voice of reason. Thank you Patterson.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

LBRod wrote:
njMark wrote:Great article as per usual by Patterson. Only question I have and I'm sure growing up in the northeast I'm inclined to see it this way, but, seeing the federal troops as an invading army is a bit of a stretch isn't it?
Perspective, Mark. Federal did not mean the same thing then.
I brought up this exact thing over in the never-ending political shit thread. Civil War historian Shelby Foote memorably points out (on film in the Ken Burns series) that the average Confederate foot soldier when asked by "Federals" why he was fighting would respond: "I'm fighting because you're down here."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:No gun control wasn't the same issue then. Handgun control was discussed and implemented in various ways in large cities but to illustrate how different it was the NRA was very pro gun registration at that point and favored certain limits on gun ownership while still representing their rural base.
That was also before the NRA become a lobbying arm of the arms manufacturers. If anyone ever has some time to kill I suggest you read about the history of the NRA and the massive changes it has gone through over the past 30+ years as it has morphed into what it is today.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Over on the book of face DBT group where the article is posted I learned a valuable lesson. That guy who is basically trying to refute every single thing Patterson said, and calling everyone who agrees with Patterson a "bigot" and accusing them of being brainwashed in government re-education camps, yeah that guy. Well, I tried to talk some sense into him. I don't know why. But he friend requested me. Ok, that's fine. I gave him the ok. Big mistake. My news feed was immediately nothing but political articles that he had linked and shared on his page with all his "friends". I can't do it justice. There was nothing else on my feed for miles but this guy's stuff. He must sit on the computer and do nothing but that all day long. It was almost kind of scary. It was so bad that I had to immediately block him. I don't know if he's a member here. I kind of wondered if it was LJ.

Moral of the story, be particular about you friends over on the book.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:Over on the book of face DBT group where the article is posted I learned a valuable lesson.
Which Facebook group? There's the "DBT" fan group that is generally great, there's the "DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS" fan group that is even better (Patterson posts on a pretty regular basis), and there is the official Drive-by Truckers Facebook page where it seems a lot of non-fans post and rip the band.

A few months ago or so someone posted here bashing the non-fans posting on the official page and a member here copied it and posted it to the fan group accusing 3DD of being elitist dicks lol. Evidently he wasn't aware of the distinction of the 3 different FB groups. Generally speaking the comments on the official band FB page are a cesspool and I stay off of it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Over on the book of face DBT group where the article is posted I learned a valuable lesson.
Which Facebook group? There's the "DBT" fan group that is generally great, there's the "DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS" fan group that is even better (Patterson posts on a pretty regular basis), and there is the official Drive-by Truckers Facebook page where it seems a lot of non-fans post and rip the band.

A few months ago or so someone posted here bashing the non-fans posting on the official page and a member here copied it and posted it to the fan group accusing 3DD of being elitist dicks lol. Evidently he wasn't aware of the distinction of the 3 different FB groups. Generally speaking the comments on the official band FB page are a cesspool and I stay off of it.
It was on the Drive-By Truckers group.

On Patterson's official fan page someone called him a second rate Neil Young wannabe that no one wants to listen to. The innerwebs are a dangerous place folks...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

The one I'm talking about has lots of people from here as members. I've seen you post there. Lately lots of people have been posting things like, "What DBT song do you most connect with right now?" That sort of thing. I've seen Patterson post there.

I'm a member of another one but either it hasn't been very active or somehow I'm just not a member anymore. It really wasn't very good. It seems like it's probably the one you are talking about where they think we are all elitist dicks. I wasn't aware of a third one. That seems like a lot.

As far as us being elitist dicks, we are, aren't we?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

I seem to recall a recording of a particular DBT show where Cooley just ripped into someone in the audience for waving the Confederate flag. I'd love to listen to it on archive.org - does anyone remember what show it was from?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote: As far as us being elitist dicks, we are, aren't we?
Yes :D

A lot of good folks on those fan groups though!