It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drommel56

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by drommel56 »

Loving it... went down to Rasputin Music and and found it in the country/blues section.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Three Dimes Down gets a mention in the "Thanks" section of the liner notes. Nice touch.
If you don't run you rust

Flea

Post by Flea »

Just finished perusing the booklet. Only Heathen i could identify was Cactus Ken right smack in the middle of one of the crowd shots.
Now it's dark.

RMD

Post by RMD »

RMD wrote:Cd version sounds amazing. A home run for me. Play it loud. Fucking love this band and I would like to thank them for doing a live album right. Some definitive versions here. Wow.
I would like to apologize for my foul language in this post. I was half way through the disc and a twelve pack of Nooners at the same time. :lol: That being said I stand by my statement .

211poundsofpork

It's Great to Be Alive!

Post by 211poundsofpork »

At long last, it is here. Delved into this yesterday and, wow! Love it. Love this band. So many moments on this album. Made up English Oceans and Goode's Field Road are the standouts for me so far.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Never realized that runaway train was such a dark (disturbed? sick?) song.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Clams wrote:Never realized that runaway train was such a dark (disturbed? sick?) song.
Neither did I, I've heard it live a few times but didn't pay close attention to the lyrics until I heard this version. Its pretty dark.

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

Anyone else catch Matt break into the bassline from the Clash's "Magnificent Seven" toward the end of "Used to Be a Cop"? Thanks, Mr. Patton!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flea wrote:Just finished perusing the booklet. Only Heathen i could identify was Cactus Ken right smack in the middle of one of the crowd shots.
Upon further review, Bill, UR and CG may also be seen in the pics.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

RMD wrote:
RMD wrote:Cd version sounds amazing. A home run for me. Play it loud. Fucking love this band and I would like to thank them for doing a live album right. Some definitive versions here. Wow.
I would like to apologize for my foul language in this post. I was half way through the disc and a twelve pack of Nooners at the same time. :lol: That being said I stand by my statement .
Seriously, watch your mouth. You never know when any fucking dickhole kids are reading.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: Upon further review, Bill, UR and CG may also be seen in the pics.
Chances are 50/50 you'll see Worldwide Bill if you are looking at ANY concert photo of ANY band anywhere in the world.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Southern Efficiency wrote:Anyone else catch Matt break into the bassline from the Clash's "Magnificent Seven" toward the end of "Used to Be a Cop"? Thanks, Mr. Patton!
Yes I noticed that too, I mentioned it the other day in the listening thread. I was so happy when I heard it. Great catch.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

lajakesdad wrote:
Southern Efficiency wrote:Anyone else catch Matt break into the bassline from the Clash's "Magnificent Seven" toward the end of "Used to Be a Cop"? Thanks, Mr. Patton!
Yes I noticed that too, I mentioned it the other day in the listening thread. I was so happy when I heard it. Great catch.
I don't know the Clash well enough to have caught it. But now that you have pointed it out and I've listened to MS, I'm using it as a selling point to some of my Clash fan friends who aren't all the way on board with the Truckers yet. So thanks for that!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Flea wrote:
Flea wrote:Just finished perusing the booklet. Only Heathen i could identify was Cactus Ken right smack in the middle of one of the crowd shots.
Inside cover of the cd case--Headhunter (partially obscured), Yours Truly (in the balcony), Cactus Ken (hat), Katie eightyfive (hands in the air), Uncle Ricky, and of course Bill
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Pretty sure that's LB Rod front and center in the centerfold with both arms up

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:Pretty sure that's LB Rod front and center in the centerfold with both arms up
Yep, Katie Eightyfive behind him and John from Scotland over to his left with the black glasses
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:
Flea wrote:
Inside cover of the cd case--Headhunter (partially obscured), Yours Truly (in the balcony), Cactus Ken (hat), Katie eightyfive (hands in the air), Uncle Ricky, and of course Bill

Hmmm, you're a bit blurry there. What were you drinking that night?
Now it's dark.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

It was a Jameson weekend. But some tequila sneaked in there
Always go to the show

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

Markalanbishop wrote:

I don't know the Clash well enough to have caught it. But now that you have pointed it out and I've listened to MS, I'm using it as a selling point to some of my Clash fan friends who aren't all the way on board with the Truckers yet. So thanks for that!
As someone who was a Clash fan before listening to DBT, I'd also recommend "Putting People on the Moon" and "Made Up English Oceans" for this purpose. Unless they like the Clash for reasons that have nothing to do with politics, in which case I don't know what to tell you.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Two thoughts on this release.
1. I think there are very few contemporary/active bands that could do a current live 15-20 year retrospective and pull it off this well. The only other one I can think of right now did a 3 night SF Fillmore run this month, it's still October in California as I write this, and also has a 3 letter abbreviation name.
2. As great as this collection is, it is impossible not to think about all the great songs missing. Hey, they have a ton more than 35 great songs.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Still digesting all of this (and on CD, no less - grrrrr) but damn this is one helluva set. Worth the wait.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Southern Efficiency wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:

As someone who was a Clash fan before listening to DBT, I'd also recommend "Putting People on the Moon" and "Made Up English Oceans" for this purpose. Unless they like the Clash for reasons that have nothing to do with politics, in which case I don't know what to tell you.
The Clash were my favourite band in the '70s and '80s and DBT are my favourite band now, for pretty much the same reasons. It's something I've thought about a lot. I loved the Magnificent Seven bassline and even that chiming guitar chop in Used to be a Cop too. I'm glad so many others on the forum picked up on it too!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is the definitive live album I've wanted from them for years.

So glad to have a high quality recording of "Runaway Train".

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Don't think anyone has done an album breakdown, so here goes:

GB - 1
PD - 2
SRO - 5
DD - 5
TDS - 4
ABAAC - 2
BTCD - 4
TBTD - 3
GGB - 2
EO - 6
AHC - 1
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

njMark

Post by njMark »

This has rekindled my love of DBT which I must admit had been waning a bit. I really need to catch a show again.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Loving the record! And there's lots to digest that will keep me satisfied for some time. But one line from Patterson's Billboard interview sticks out. 'We ended up getting keeper takes of about 50 songs, and we took the best 35 of that for the record.' I wonder if we'll get to hear the other 15 keeper takes, maybe in a deluxe edition or something. Or and I just being greedy?!

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

A few brief, random thoughts:

--I really love the live arrangement of "Sounds Better In the Song" - difficult to improve on the recorded version but here we are. Ditto "The Righteous Path," one of my favorite DBT tunes, rendered here beautifully - I like the variation of the melody line, think it adds another dimension to this great song, which I've always viewed as Patterson's own "Rockin' In The Free World."

--The only song missing here from my platonic ideal DBT setlist is "Dead Drunk & Naked." Otherwise, I think, if you had to whittle the discography down to 35 songs, this is about as good as it gets.

--Only song I am skipping so far is "Mercy Buckets," which is a song I like, but I don't much dig this dramatic, vaguely power ballad-y version

--I like the booklet photo of the SG leaned up against the 70s Fender Deluxe, with Amstel Light in full view. Patterson may not actually be in the photo, but as anyone here knows, that's a classic Patterson pic! :D

--Still bummed to be listening to this on CD instead of vinyl, but I must concede that the format is encouraging me to actually play it more than I might have if I only had the vinyl - it's been in the car since Thursday and ain't leaving the disc changer any time soon.

--Worth repeating: definitely worth the wait. Excellent release, all around.

gepman

Post by gepman »

What, no Dancin' Ricky??

paradisoams58

Post by paradisoams58 »

Drop D wrote:Loving the record! And there's lots to digest that will keep me satisfied for some time. But one line from Patterson's Billboard interview sticks out. 'We ended up getting keeper takes of about 50 songs, and we took the best 35 of that for the record.' I wonder if we'll get to hear the other 15 keeper takes, maybe in a deluxe edition or something. Or and I just being greedy?!

Whatever happened to "Margo and Harold???

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

gepman wrote:What, no Dancin' Ricky??
paradisoams58 wrote:Whatever happened to "Margo and Harold???
Yep, must be Deluxe Edition, obvious when you think about it...