It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Clams »

Primer Coat is out...

If you don't run you rust

artood2

Post by artood2 »

i got given the lp & cd set for my birthday today ! Well the promise of the set it has been ordered. I wish I had the set to listen to right now but alas..
looking forward to my delayed birthday gift.

I was at all three shows so this will bring back lots of memories.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Runaway Train....

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Clams wrote:Primer Coat is out...

Primer Coat sounds pretty damn good!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

8.0 from Pitchfork is a bit of a thing huh? Very nice.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Agreed. I thought their scale only went up 7.6 or something.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

RolanK wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Agreed. I thought their scale only went up 7.6 or something.
Damn! Very nice.

Apologies if this has been discussed (sure it has), but a buddy of mine asked me "WTF, no Let There Be Rock??" I certainly noticed it was not among the stellar set of songs included, but sort of smiled, imagining the band thinking we don't need LTBR to be on it.

Other thoughts?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Women Without Whiskey:

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Still no need for a plumber?
Dave

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Clams

Post by Clams »

TW_2.0 wrote:Full album streaming now:

https://soundcloud.com/ato_records/sets ... s-great-to
Awesome! You just click the link and Lookout Mountain fires right up. Sounds great! 8-)

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Clams wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:Full album streaming now:

https://soundcloud.com/ato_records/sets ... s-great-to
Awesome! You just click the link and Lookout Mountain fires right up. Sounds great! 8-)
This particular Lookout Mountain is a beast - even more than usual. Very cool.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

This sounds so damn good. I didn't realize it, but it is exactly what I needed on this Friday afternoon.

hpz4

Post by hpz4 »

I picked this up last night at the Hattiesburg show and it is really, really good.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I figure I can listen to it at least twice tonight. Sounds incredible. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Well I'm about halfway through and it's outstanding. So many great songs! The horns on Pin Hits the SHell and World of Hurt are great, Putting People on the Moon rages, Cooley's guitar freakout at the end of Goode's Field Rd is wicked, I could go on. And the sound is beyond fantastic.

I think the old debate about "What songs should go on the DBT mix I'm making for my friend" is over. Just get them this record.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Anyone have any idea how the songs will be put together?
Fade ins and outs between each song?
I'm hoping they splice tracks together to make it sound like one continuous show. Have always preferred live albums this way...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

gepman wrote:Anyone have any idea how the songs will be put together?
I'm hoping they splice tracks together to make it sound like one continuous show. Have always preferred live albums this way...
I'm sure it will be. The little pauses on the stream are due to soundcloud switching files
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So nice to have a proper live recording of so many of these songs. With all due respect to the tireless work our taping and streaming friends do for us, a single source crowd recording can't touch a multitrack, studio mixed recording. The fact that I can distinguish the guitar parts, hear the harmonies, and can tell what Jay is playing on keys puts it ahead of any live show I've seen by DBT

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

:D Shit yeah! :D

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

As great as I remember it. Kudos to Prof. Barbe. Sounds incredible. Can't wait for the vinyl
Always go to the show

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:So nice to have a proper live recording of so many of these songs. With all due respect to the tireless work our taping and streaming friends do for us, a single source crowd recording can't touch a multitrack, studio mixed recording. The fact that I can distinguish the guitar parts, hear the harmonies, and can tell what Jay is playing on keys puts it ahead of any live show I've seen by DBT
I agree that having a proper professional recording is definitely a step up from an audience recording (though I certainly enjoy them too...keep up the good work tapers!). I've listened to the stream off and on for the past two days and I can't wait until I can crank the vinyl.

However I strongly disagree with your last statement. As great as "It's Great To Be Alive" sounds in the stream and will no doubt sound on vinyl and cd it doesn't touch actually being at a DBT show for me. It'll be nice to have, and I'll probably listen to it so much I'll wear it out, but for me personally nothing touches the experience of being at a Rock Show.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:
gepman wrote:Anyone have any idea how the songs will be put together?
I'm sure it will be. The little pauses on the stream are due to soundcloud switching files
Doh! Didn't even think to listen to the stream before I posed my question... I wouldn't make a very good detective in another life...
Hope / think you're right about the mini gaps, Zip. Like those annoying mini gaps between MP3's.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

gepman wrote: Doh! Didn't even think to listen to the stream before I posed my question... I wouldn't make a very good detective in another life...
Hope / think you're right about the mini gaps, Zip. Like those annoying mini gaps between MP3's.
It plays like an actual concert. They're selling the cd sets at the merch table at current shows.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:So nice to have a proper live recording of so many of these songs. With all due respect to the tireless work our taping and streaming friends do for us, a single source crowd recording can't touch a multitrack, studio mixed recording. The fact that I can distinguish the guitar parts, hear the harmonies, and can tell what Jay is playing on keys puts it ahead of any live show I've seen by DBT
I agree that having a proper professional recording is definitely a step up from an audience recording (though I certainly enjoy them too...keep up the good work tapers!). I've listened to the stream off and on for the past two days and I can't wait until I can crank the vinyl.

However I strongly disagree with your last statement. As great as "It's Great To Be Alive" sounds in the stream and will no doubt sound on vinyl and cd it doesn't touch actually being at a DBT show for me. It'll be nice to have, and I'll probably listen to it so much I'll wear it out, but for me personally nothing touches the experience of being at a Rock Show.
The "experience" of the show is never captured in any live recording. But this recording sounds 10x better than any DBT show I've seen in person.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
brett27295 wrote:

The "experience" of the show is never captured in any live recording. But this recording sounds 10x better than any DBT show I've seen in person.
What Ani DiFranco says about making copies of her CDs is possibly relevant here:
Unauthorized reproduction, while sometimes necessary, is never as good as the real thing.
The same is true of authorized reproduction, wouldn't you say?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying sonically speaking, the recording is better than the real thing.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying sonically speaking, the recording is better than the real thing.
I agree completely. The experience is a completely different thing from the sound. This record is the truest representation of the DBT sound to date, with the possible exception of Alabama Ass Whuppin' that defined a specific point in time. This one performs that duty for this point in time but also takes the best of their whole career. Patterson has described it as the ultimate DBT set and it very much is that. Whether you're a rail bird, a middle of the room show goer or someone who tries to get the best sound by the sound board this encapsulates all of that. You feel the energy, hear the separation of the instruments and get the truest versions of the songs by this high energy version of this band. So yeah it us sonically better than the real thing. That's not to say it is better than the real thing. It's an important distinction but as a piece of art and a representation of what DBT sounds like It's Great to be Alive is a master stroke.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved