It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Zip City »

Music is music. I want to consume it wherever I go

And MP3 does not equal short attention span. I rarely listen to anything but full albums, so how is doing that on my phone through good headphones any different than through a CD in the car or on a hi-fi system at home?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

what Kudzu and JimmyJack said. As to the generational thing: my wife is a university professor, in communications, and many of her students are really really music (they've passed "my test" :lol: ) and yet so many of the current crop have never (or rarely) bought any physical form of music, all mp3 or whatever. I see it pretty often with people of a certain age

I purchase a ton of music, always have and always will, but I admit that my wife would be happier and my house much less cluttered if I were one of these "digital only" people, though that will never happen. Lord knows I can't change......
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:You can't roll a joint on a MP3.
Living in the days we do this is how Washington and Colorado define irony.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's probably generational, but I'm not if that generation. I had vinyl early, cassettes through middle school. Didn't start CDs until senior year of high school

Clams

Post by Clams »

I find myself moving away from mp3's for streaming. I have no interest in vinyl and I only buy CD's if it's by an artist I care about supporting. I pretty much stream everything these days. Which means nothing tangible. And that doesn't bother me too much. I've got my music with me wherever I go - office, home, phone, car - and that's the primary thing for me. That said, I'l definitely be picking up the new Truckers CD's thru the Amazon preorder.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm sure there's a statistical breakdown out there somewhere on vinyl sales as far as ages that may point to younger people so I may have misspoken on the generational thing, that's just my own personal experience as to why I'm more drawn to and place such value on the physical product. From my firsthand experience, I've seen mostly younger folks (meaning college age or thereabouts) purchasing vinyl in some of my favorite local record store haunts. I'll also say it's a beauty to behold. While hanging out one afternoon recently at a friends record shop in Chapel Hill, I saw several fairly large groups of folks come in (all around college age) that purchased quite a few records. Most of the purchases were of the familiar variety such as Floyd, Zep, Mellencamp, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. but some were more obscure and truly nerdy. That did my heart good to see. I know many people don't have access to record stores anymore but locally, I'm even seeing Barnes and Noble significantly expand their vinyl section while the CD selection continues to shrink. It's interesting to see who is buying what. Again, it seems to be mostly younger people. Statistics may prove otherwise. Those that truly desire to be rewarded by the experience seem to have no problem investing in vinyl and the proper stereo equipment to enjoy it on.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Well, I am one of those "wax cylinder" purists so the shark was jumped a long time ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

njMark

Post by njMark »

Spare my ignorance but what is a slip mat?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I grew up with vinyl, moved on and eventually "rediscovered" vinyl about 15 years ago. I will never, ever leave vinyl again. I have about 1,500 LPs in my collection and a really nice system (to my ears). When I sit down to listen I want to hear my music in the best possible quality I can afford. Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty decent digital front end as well and have a good number of CDs and SACDs in my collection. But all things considered I prefer vinyl. I also have an Ipod for running and most of the time I plug that in the car for road trips. So it's not like I'm against MP3 either. I just generally prefer analog.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tubes baby
Always go to the show

artood2

Post by artood2 »

njMark wrote:Spare my ignorance but what is a slip mat?
Its a rubber mat which sits on your turntable and protects the records from sitting directly on said turntable .

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Is there any aural difference in vinyl that was recorded digitally in the studio?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:Is there any aural difference in vinyl that was recorded digitally in the studio?
It's depends on more factors than we really have time to discuss. Generally it will sound different. But it is system dependent. Hell the same exact cd will sound vastly different depending on the the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) in the player, the amp, the speakers etc. I know some people who have spent over $1,000 on a DAC alone.

*EDIT* I misread your question. Some people claim they can tell right away if an album was recorded digitally or if digital files (even hi res ones) were used in the mastering process. I generally can not tell. Sometimes it's obvious. I don't have golden ears like some people who frequent the same audiophile forums that I do so I don't hear the same things they do I suppose. Then again I've never spent $10,000 on a turntable so what do I know?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Zip City wrote:Music is music. I want to consume it wherever I go
Serious question for you (and Clams): Is this really a good thing? I've heard it said that "access is excess." And before you think I'm being self righteous, I find myself--despite every attempt--having less intimate relationships with records now that there's just so many of them, and all to be had with a tap of a mouse.

When I was 16, if I didn't like side 1, you better believe I listened to side 2, and then side 1 again. It might have been the only new album I got to hear that week, or that month, so I was going to find something to like. (It's so often stated it's become a cliche, but it's very often those 'grower' records that become the most important records of your life). Nowadays I make snap judgments just like everyone else, because, barring some Twilight Zone / Burgess Meredith bomb shelter situation, I'm aware that there just isn't enough time to hear everything. What was the worst album I heard in 1995? Well, I don't remember, but if I could, I could probably tell you every song title, who produced it, what the cover art looked like, etc. What's my favorite album of 2015? It doesn't matter, but if you offered me $100 to name every song on it, in sequence, I'm afraid I couldn't do it. What I mean is I'm as guilty as anyone because I do more stockpiling than listening.

I recently got into Zappa (beyond the handful of albums everyone knows). Within a week, I bought eight Zappa albums based on recommendations (in real life, on forums like these, and general internet sleuthing; I even bought a Zappa book because I tend to go "whole hog"). I have one of those CDs in the car that's been playing while I run errands around town; it begins at a random place and ends there, too. I'm not sitting there for 45 minutes listening to the arc of the album, familiarizing myself with the details, learning the words. It just plays, and then repeats, and I don't know any of the titles, or who plays drums, or ay of that kinda fun stuff that makes music even more exciting.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a difference between hearing and listening (and yes I realize I just paraphrased Mike and the fuckin' Mechanics - :lol: :oops: :roll:), and, whenever possible, I prefer to listen. That's not to say I make that choice for myself every day. My wife and I will often play a record while we're cooking (not a euphemism, wise guys), or when we have friends over. If you asked me afterward what I thought of the guitar solo on track 6, I'd have no idea what you were talking about. This is the drawback to having music "everywhere." It becomes unavoidable, and begins to recall a different episode of the Twilight Zone, the one in which the gangster dies and goes to what he thinks is heaven but it actually hell.

Wow, talk about a thread derail. Maybe a mod can move this discussion? I think this is an interesting topic but I don't wanna cock-block The Rock. :D

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Every Sunday morning, I have 5 solid hours at work where I can have headphones on and listen to albums without interruption. Is that a bad thing?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:
Zip City wrote:Music is music. I want to consume it wherever I go
Serious question for you (and Clams): Is this really a good thing? I've heard it said that "access is excess." And before you think I'm being self righteous, I find myself--despite every attempt--having less intimate relationships with records now that there's just so many of them, and all to be had with a tap of a mouse.

When I was 16, if I didn't like side 1, you better believe I listened to side 2, and then side 1 again. It might have been the only new album I got to hear that week, or that month, so I was going to find something to like. (It's so often stated it's become a cliche, but it's very often those 'grower' records that become the most important records of your life). Nowadays I make snap judgments just like everyone else, because, barring some Twilight Zone / Burgess Meredith bomb shelter situation, I'm aware that there just isn't enough time to hear everything. What was the worst album I heard in 1995? Well, I don't remember, but if I could, I could probably tell you every song title, who produced it, what the cover art looked like, etc. What's my favorite album of 2015? It doesn't matter, but if you offered me $100 to name every song on it, in sequence, I'm afraid I couldn't do it. What I mean is I'm as guilty as anyone because I do more stockpiling than listening.

I recently got into Zappa (beyond the handful of albums everyone knows). Within a week, I bought eight Zappa albums based on recommendations (in real life, on forums like these, and general internet sleuthing; I even bought a Zappa book because I tend to go "whole hog"). I have one of those CDs in the car that's been playing while I run errands around town; it begins at a random place and ends there, too. I'm not sitting there for 45 minutes listening to the arc of the album, familiarizing myself with the details, learning the words. It just plays, and then repeats, and I don't know any of the titles, or who plays drums, or ay of that kinda fun stuff that makes music even more exciting.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a difference between hearing and listening (and yes I realize I just paraphrased Mike and the fuckin' Mechanics - :lol: :oops: :roll:), and, whenever possible, I prefer to listen. That's not to say I make that choice for myself every day. My wife and I will often play a record while we're cooking (not a euphemism, wise guys), or when we have friends over. If you asked me afterward what I thought of the guitar solo on track 6, I'd have no idea what you were talking about. This is the drawback to having music "everywhere." It becomes unavoidable, and begins to recall a different episode of the Twilight Zone, the one in which the gangster dies and goes to what he thinks is heaven but it actually hell.

Wow, talk about a thread derail. Maybe a mod can move this discussion? I think this is an interesting topic but I don't wanna cock-block The Rock. :D
We're all good. We have 2 1/2 months until the record comes out so what's a little thread derail among friends? :lol: Seriously though what you just said is what I meant when I asked Zip what he does when he really wants to listen. He just answered about his Sunday morning 5 hour block and he listens through headphones. That is listening but unless they're FLAC files or some lossless format it's still not the best way to experience music. That said the first few times I listen to an album it's at my desk in my office in the wee hours before my phone starts ringing (I work out of my house) or in sometimes in the hours before or after office hours in my car the weeks I'm traveling. That's usually digital through my phone and occasionally CD's. That's just the way it has to be and then sometimes during the day but that's always interrupted listening so it's not "listening". The thing is if I really want to hear an album I want at least a CD and preferably vinyl. That's some evenings and weekends. I want hear all of the parts, I want to know what the artist intended. Like Kudzu and you said I want to experience the music, know who played on what track, who produced it, etc., etc. So while I understand the need for digital, I don't quite get those here that are so into music and wide varieties of music who don't seek a better experience, be in lossless, CD's, vinyl or whatever works. I think you hit on a point in that quantity doesn't equally truly knowing the music. I know you can't "know" it all but isn't it fun to know the stuff you're fanatical about?

btw. I totally get the Zappa books. I went on the deepest Allman Brothers binge since I was a teenager about a year ago or so and had to read every book there was and read every liner note on every record. There's probably something wrong with us. ;)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Someone needs to do a Zappa AOTW like we had for the Kinks a few months back.
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:Tubes baby
Now you're talking. Nothing like jamming tunes and watching those tubes glow (and the smell is glorious). Not that I have a tube amplifier aymore but in my mind I do. :lol:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:Someone needs to do a Zappa AOTW like we had for the Kinks a few months back.
Couldn't agree more. When do you want to start the thread?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Now you're talking. Nothing like jamming tunes and watching those tubes glow (and the smell is glorious). Not that I have a tube amplifier aymore but in my mind I do. :lol:
Uh-dude--if you can smell your tubes these days, you have a problem
Always go to the show

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I love vinyl, but I've gotta say I'm with Zip on this one. Some of my greatest musical experiences came when I was teenager laying hardwood, listening to burnt cds on a shitty dollar store toolbox through a wall.

I love the sound and the ritual of vinyl(and cassette), but at the end of the day I'm no audiophile.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Jonicont wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:Someone needs to do a Zappa AOTW like we had for the Kinks a few months back.
Couldn't agree more. When do you want to start the thread?
I only wish I knew his work well enough to do that.
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

jh13 wrote:I collect vinyl copies of the handful of albums I deem all-timers, but rarely listen to it. Mostly, they're just displayed around the house.
From a new British study:
15% of buyers of physical formats have no intention of listening to them

In the last three months, one in six (15%) purchasers of physical music formats bought music to keep – not to listen to. Over half (53%) bought a vinyl record, 48% a CD, and 23% an audio cassette tape that they have no intention of ever listening to. This behaviour is driven by 18-24 year old music purchasers, with just over one quarter (26%) buying music to own not play.
Further reading on the same topic.

The future of vinyl? Selling music as a lifestyle

Rough Trade record store in New York covers 15,000 feet, making it the largest in the city. The store opened in 2013
at a time when many traditional record stores were closing.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

It'd be funny if all these records these kids never listen to had the wrong music on them. Like, you think you just bought that RSD copy of Deja Entendu, but it's actually some Liza Minelli album. Joke's on you, millennials!

Of course, this raises issues about quality control and accountability. If plants know that a quarter of the listening audience won't even ever hear the damn thing, well, what's the motivation to make it sound awesome, especially with plants as overworked as they are already? If I worked at a record plant, making twelve bucks an hour or something, and was working overtime to make sure the 180 gram reissue of The Return Of Bruno or something made its street date, I'd probably not be giving too many fucks.

Kudzu Guillotine

Something touched on in that CNN article that I'm already seeing happen around here are curated vinyl events. There's one in particular going on now at the Contemporary Art Museum (CAM) in Raleigh that's part of the ongoing Big, Bent Ears exhibit where guest DJ's come in to host events. A few they've had lately were hosted by Caitlin Cary and Skillet Gilmore (Whiskeytown), Peele Wimberly (The Connells) and Grayson Currin (IndyWeek). MC Taylor (Hiss Golden Messenger) will be hosting one soon as well. Dave Wilson of Chatham County Line is one of the organizers. Eventually, anyone will be able to come in to DJ.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
:lol: We used to push my dad's tube stereo amplifier so hard it would heat up and we would have to put a window fan behind the amp to keep it from blowing up (this is back when most home stereos were all one unit and as big as a piece of furniture). Still smell those almost burning electronics. We also used to plug guitars into it when he wasn't around.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Markalanbishop wrote: We also used to plug guitars into it when he wasn't around.
Probably the only circumstance under which corporal punishment of a child is justifiable
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

tres chouette, mi amor
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Clams

Post by Clams »

It looks like The Living Bubba has been released. It's available on Spotify.