It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Flea »

I miss that show.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I just got my turntable back in operation after 18 months with a brand spanking new set of speakers. Listening to IGTBA on vinyl is a revelation. It was good digitally it's unbelievable in this format. I keep wanting to make it louder but it scares the dogs.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've given this album a criminally low number of spins
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

gepman

Post by gepman »

Zip City wrote:I've given this album a criminally low number of spins
Me too.

I think Clams noted the lack of crowd noise at times. That aspect makes this sound more like a greatest hits record to me.
I tend to give greatest hits records minimal spins when I've heard the songs repeatedly in the past...

I've found myself more satisfied with any number of the posted live recordings of complete shows posted over the years...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

gepman wrote:
Zip City wrote:I've given this album a criminally low number of spins
Me too.

I think Clams noted the lack of crowd noise at times. That aspect makes this sound more like a greatest hits record to me.
I tend to give greatest hits records minimal spins when I've heard the songs repeatedly in the past...

I've found myself more satisfied with any number of the posted live recordings of complete shows posted over the years...
I thought that would be the case with me, but it turned out the opposite. The performances are really on another level; none have the exact arrangements as the studio versions, and the playing and mixing makes most bootlegs sound like utter shit.

I'm actually not big on live albums, but this is another story.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think its terrific, just not quite on the level of the A+++ live albums that I go to on a regular basis
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:I think its terrific, just not quite on the level of the A+++ live albums that I go to on a regular basis
We'll agree to disagree. I think it forms a nice triumvirate with Kicking Television and Okonokos as the best live rock album so far this century.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:I think its terrific, just not quite on the level of the A+++ live albums that I go to on a regular basis
We'll agree to disagree. I think it forms a nice triumvirate with Kicking Television and Okonokos as the best live rock album so far this century.
100% agree. Those are the three.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'll put this one in the same company anyday (though I admittedly haven't heard the My Morning Jacket). This is the sound of R.E.M. recharging their batteries as a direct result of Around the Sun, one of the more poorly received albums of the post-Berry era of their career. Here, they revisit old favorites (including stuff from Chronic Town) while trying out new material. Though they may have faltered more often than not as a studio band post-Berry, they never failed to bring it live. This is R.E.M. firing on all cylinders and also fucking up as they break in the new stuff. Almost like the old days but not quite.