It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:It looks like The Living Bubba has been released. It's available on Spotify.

Love the raw vocals. pretty expansive sound. best live recording I've ever heard. Can't wait for the LP/CD. This is the one we've been waiting for
Always go to the show

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Yep. That is what this band is supposed to sound like. Raw, emotional and loud. Even with Cooley entering with the wrong chord. Love it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:
Tyler wrote:Any retailer with an electronic POS should be reporting to Neilsen/SoundScan. The ones that don't are the small mom and pop record shops that don't use barcodes at all and just use a calculator.
I can only go off what I know from the book business. Any store that scans merchandise can report to Bookscan, but not all do. Neilsen claims to count about 75% of the US book trade, and that percentage hasn't changed, to my knowledge, in at least 10 years. (Bookscan came into being in 2001.). Publishers' direct sales to the consumer are not counted. It's hard for me to imagine that Soundscan would run differently, but it certainly is possible.
For those who care about this sort of thing, John Scalzi has an interesting post about the sales of, and sales figures for, his most recent book.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

one belt loop wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Tubes baby
tres chouette, mi amor
;)
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
Tyler wrote:Any retailer with an electronic POS should be reporting to Neilsen/SoundScan. The ones that don't are the small mom and pop record shops that don't use barcodes at all and just use a calculator.
I can only go off what I know from the book business. Any store that scans merchandise can report to Bookscan, but not all do. Neilsen claims to count about 75% of the US book trade, and that percentage hasn't changed, to my knowledge, in at least 10 years. (Bookscan came into being in 2001.). Publishers' direct sales to the consumer are not counted. It's hard for me to imagine that Soundscan would run differently, but it certainly is possible.
For those who care about this sort of thing, John Scalzi has an interesting post about the sales of, and sales figures for, his most recent book.

Don't gotta sell me on the importance of print distribution.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

walthers

Post by walthers »

Finally listened to the living bubba. Gotta say I usually tune into the guitars with the truckers but I think brad sounds great on that Somg, as well as jays keys.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

walthers wrote:Finally listened to the living bubba. Gotta say I usually tune into the guitars with the truckers but I think brad sounds great on that Somg, as well as jays keys.
It's a crazy statement, and on most levels it can't be substantiated, but I'm inclined to call it the the definitive performance of The Living Bubba. It's raw, filled with the emotion the song deserves and not quite perfect but soars in the places it's supposed to. EZB and Matt hold down the back end like badass motherfuckers and it allows everything else to shine. This is the song that got me into the band and reduced me to rubble but if I had heard this version first I might have crawled into a corner and cried. Powerful shit.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
walthers wrote:Finally listened to the living bubba. Gotta say I usually tune into the guitars with the truckers but I think brad sounds great on that Somg, as well as jays keys.
It's a crazy statement, and on most levels it can't be substantiated, but I'm inclined to call it the the definitive performance of The Living Bubba. It's raw, filled with the emotion the song deserves and not quite perfect but soars in the places it's supposed to. EZB and Matt hold down the back end like badass motherfuckers and it allows everything else to shine. This is the song that got me into the band and reduced me to rubble but if I had heard this version first I might have crawled into a corner and cried. Powerful shit.
Indeed, if there's a better version of it out there then someone post a link because I need to hear it. Really can't wait for this album, this sounds great just on PC speakers, can't wait to hear the vinyl.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Echo previous sentiments. Well sung, well played, well mixed.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Amazon has Bubba and BB but no preorder yet.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yeah I keep looking for the pre-order, too. Can't wait.

Yall have me excited with all this "Living Bubba" talk!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

jimmyjack wrote:Yeah I keep looking for the pre-order, too. Can't wait.

They've put it online:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:Is there any aural difference in vinyl that was recorded digitally in the studio?
take it to the Steve Hoffman forums (or Albini's Electrical Studios).

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:Is there any aural difference in vinyl that was recorded digitally in the studio?
take it to the Steve Hoffman forums (or Albini's Electrical Studios).
Don't take it to the Hoffman forums unless you want it to turn into a 50 page argument in 24 hours lol. Full disclosure: I've been a proud member of the Hoffman Forums since 2004.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

ilockyer wrote: Indeed, if there's a better version of it out there then someone post a link because I need to hear it. Really can't wait for this album, this sounds great just on PC speakers, can't wait to hear the vinyl.
I can't imagine what they were going through on stage at the time.... but the version from 2013/1/18, the day Craig passed, has always just blown me away. It doesn't start pretty, but you can just feel and hear Patterson just going for it, motivating himself to play a show given all that had gone on.

https://ia802602.us.archive.org/11/item ... -18t01.mp3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tyler wrote:
ilockyer wrote: Indeed, if there's a better version of it out there then someone post a link because I need to hear it. Really can't wait for this album, this sounds great just on PC speakers, can't wait to hear the vinyl.
I can't imagine what they were going through on stage at the time.... but the version from 2013/1/18, the day Craig passed, has always just blown me away. It doesn't start pretty, but you can just feel and hear Patterson just going for it, motivating himself to play a show given all that had gone on.

https://ia802602.us.archive.org/11/item ... -18t01.mp3
I've never been able to bring myself to listen to that show. It was enough to be there and really remember nothing about the show itself. Maybe someday.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

The homecoming version is gut wrenching. Patterson forgets the last verse though. That's the only thing that brings it down a bit.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tyler wrote: I can't imagine what they were going through on stage at the time.... but the version from 2013/1/18, the day Craig passed, has always just blown me away. It doesn't start pretty, but you can just feel and hear Patterson just going for it, motivating himself to play a show given all that had gone on.
That whole show is just amazing. I remember standing in that crowd wondering how they were going to be able to play.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

walthers

Post by walthers »

I'm really glad everyone else thinks this little tease of the live album is as good as I think it is, I'm damn excited about this. Also, on a separate note I did read that the Alabama shakes show will be webcast from red rocks on Sunday, one can only hope the Truckers set will be on as well.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Yeah I keep looking for the pre-order, too. Can't wait.

They've put it online:

Sounds pretty good! The keys are a little muffled but other than that its solid. :mrgreen:

McButton

Post by McButton »

After listening to this version of the Living Bubba (about 10 times) and seeing them on Sunday, October 30 can't get here soon enough.

ChrisGravity

Post by ChrisGravity »

Can't wait for this! Beer and vinyl, what else do you need?

Flea

Post by Flea »

ChrisGravity wrote:Can't wait for this! Beer and vinyl, what else do you need?
Nookie
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Another track is out. Made Up English Oceans with a nice intro by Cooley.

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: EZB and Matt hold down the back end like badass motherfuckers and it allows everything else to shine.
Damn song swings. Yep, on top of every other great thing about it, The Living Bubba now swings. Blowing my mind. All hail the rhythm section. OBL, what was it I once said about Mr. Patton? ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Amazon pre-order is up, yall

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: EZB and Matt hold down the back end like badass motherfuckers and it allows everything else to shine.
Damn song swings. Yep, on top of every other great thing about it, The Living Bubba now swings. Blowing my mind. All hail the rhythm section. OBL, what was it I once said about Mr. Patton? ;)

was it this, perchance? :
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

njMark

Post by njMark »

While I find myself firmly in the mp3/streaming camp, in regards to print publishing as someone mentioned before, I cannot use a kindle/eBook to read anything. It's simply not the same experience as holding an old friend in your hands, the smell of the pages, creases in the spine of something you've already read remind me of the joy it gave me once before. Same with newspapers. It all comes down to personal preference. I understand the preference for vinyl even though I don't see it. I'm sure my disdain for ebooks will seem silly and nitpicky to others who have embraced them.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

njMark wrote:While I find myself firmly in the mp3/streaming camp, in regards to print publishing as someone mentioned before, I cannot use a kindle/eBook to read anything. It's simply not the same experience as holding an old friend in your hands, the smell of the pages, creases in the spine of something you've already read remind me of the joy it gave me once before. Same with newspapers. It all comes down to personal preference. I understand the preference for vinyl even though I don't see it. I'm sure my disdain for ebooks will seem silly and nitpicky to others who have embraced them.
Replace "smell of the pages" and "creases in the spine" with album cover ringwear and the snap, crackle and pop of a well worn old vinyl record and you're pretty much describing the same sort of experience. While I may not have a preference for one form of music media over another, having grown up listening to vinyl, I can certainly relate. It's not so much about the audio quality as it the interaction and attention required when listening to vinyl. I'm sure I've posted this before but it comes as close as any article I've read to describing what's so rewarding about listening to vinyl.

Ode to Vinyl Records

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

and fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

Haha!