It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by LBRod »

Bill in CT wrote: My Jason Isbell Amazon preorder arrived on July 21 so that was 4 days after street date with free shipping (paired it with other items). That is fine with me.
I'll be preordering the deluxe box on Amazon.
My Isbell Amazon preorder showed up on the 20th. DBT preorders go through the band. I can wait.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

GOOD: Finally a live version of World of Hurt

BAD: Without pedal steel
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:You guys have better eyes than I do
Not really. I was there so I know who to look for
Always go to the show

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:
Zip City wrote:You guys have better eyes than I do
Not really. I was there so I know who to look for
Boyyourself is in the front row off to my right with one arm in the air.

Narducci19

Post by Narducci19 »

Zip City wrote:GOOD: Finally a live version of World of Hurt

But, GOOD: With Horn Section!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Narducci19 wrote:

sure

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Have we ever settled on whether the band makes more money from stuff ordered off their site as opposed to through other sources, whether that be Amazon or one's local retailer? For those who don't NEED the album on the release date, that could be a tipping factor.

Schlanky - yes standard Amazon orders seem to ship more slowly. But Prime happens to be one of the great deals in retail/ecommerce. You might want to look into it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Finally something to be excited about!!!!
Narducci19 wrote:

I'm with you on this Zip. Damn I miss that pedal.
As much as I like horns, it just don't do it for me on DBT stuff.
I'm still buying though.
To bad the weekend version isn't the out takes.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm definitely buying it. I kinda wish there was an official live album from the Jason years or the Neff years, but this mega album does somewhat make up for it

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:Have we ever settled on whether the band makes more money from stuff ordered off their site as opposed to through other sources, whether that be Amazon or one's local retailer? For those who don't NEED the album on the release date, that could be a tipping factor.

Schlanky - yes standard Amazon orders seem to ship more slowly. But Prime happens to be one of the great deals in retail/ecommerce. You might want to look into it.
I'll get it from my local record store, I've already discussed whether he can get it with the guy that runs it. Can't afford the shipping from the band's store to the UK and it's better to spend money in the local economy anyway (and at least the guy that runs the local store will probably pay some tax unlike Amazon)
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Have we ever settled on whether the band makes more money from stuff ordered off their site as opposed to through other sources, whether that be Amazon or one's local retailer? For those who don't NEED the album on the release date, that could be a tipping factor.

I'll get it from my local record store, I've already discussed whether he can get it with the guy that runs it. Can't afford the shipping from the band's store to the UK and it's better to spend money in the local economy anyway (and at least the guy that runs the local store will probably pay some tax unlike Amazon)
After a long fight, Amazon now pays state taxes here (at least they charge me for them) so I would think foreign countries could enforce the same, though the VAT would surely complicate things.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Given the October 30 release date, any predictions on where DBT will be playing on that night (and Halloween)? I've got to think (okay, hope) that NYC will be getting some rock show love in November.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Whispering Pines wrote:Given the October 30 release date, any predictions on where DBT will be playing on that night (and Halloween)? I've got to think (okay, hope) that NYC will be getting some rock show love in November.
Agree that they have to hit NYC sometime in late Oct or early Nov. A few months ago there was talk of a northeast run for the fall. If true, those dates would have to be announced soon, right?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I'd love to know the answer to this - anyone who really knows care to enlighten us? I bought off the DBT site a few days ago and am hoping for the best.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

ramonz wrote: I'd love to know the answer to this - anyone who really knows care to enlighten us? I bought off the DBT site a few days ago and am hoping for the best.
I thought we had discussed this and I thought it was determined that the band gets the same cut from CDs/LPs no matter where they are sold. My memory is shaky and it may have been a discussion about another band on another msg board so take this information with a grain of salt...
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Clams

Post by Clams »

brett27295 wrote:
ramonz wrote: I'd love to know the answer to this - anyone who really knows care to enlighten us? I bought off the DBT site a few days ago and am hoping for the best.
I thought we had discussed this and I thought it was determined that the band gets the same cut from CDs/LPs no matter where they are sold. My memory is shaky and it may have been a discussion about another band on another msg board so take this information with a grain of salt...
I recall that as well. They just want you to buy it, regardless from where. Also I think it helps them most if you buy it in the first week or two which is when they sell the most copies and create the biggest buzz (just like our guy JI is doing right now).
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
I recall that as well. They just want you to buy it, regardless from where. Also I think it helps them most if you buy it in the first week or two which is when they sell the most copies and create the biggest buzz (just like our guy JI is doing right now).
Business Matters: How Extensive Pre-Sales Can Help Indie Albums to Top 40 Debuts
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Zip City wrote:I'm definitely buying it. I kinda wish there was an official live album from the Jason years or the Neff years, but this mega album does somewhat make up for it
What's unofficial about Live from Austin, TX? Sure it's only 13 songs, but that's the Shonna/Neff era.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Clams wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
My guess (and it is a highly educated one from a similar industry) is that buying from Amazon makes them less money but sales are reported to Neilson. I don't know if sales from their own site are reported or not.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Any retailer with an electronic POS should be reporting to Neilsen/SoundScan. The ones that don't are the small mom and pop record shops that don't use barcodes at all and just use a calculator.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

If any of yall are keeping track of this sorta thing, please pm me if /when an Amazon pre-order for the deluxe box is up. There's some Grateful Dead stuff coming out around that time and if I can keep myself from pre-ordering this box from Music Today or whatever, I'm gonna bundle my two favorite bands together. Also, I live near an Amazon hub, so even with 5 day shipping, I usually get Amazon packages really fast.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

jimmyjack wrote:If any of yall are keeping track of this sorta thing, please pm me if /when an Amazon pre-order for the deluxe box is up. There's some Grateful Dead stuff coming out around that time and if I can keep myself from pre-ordering this box from Music Today or whatever, I'm gonna bundle my two favorite bands together. Also, I live near an Amazon hub, so even with 5 day shipping, I usually get Amazon packages really fast.
What other Dead stuff is coming out ? Is there something besides the 80-disc monster that I pre-ordered for way too much $$$$ because I can't help myself ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tyler wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm definitely buying it. I kinda wish there was an official live album from the Jason years or the Neff years, but this mega album does somewhat make up for it
What's unofficial about Live from Austin, TX? Sure it's only 13 songs, but that's the Shonna/Neff era.
It's awfully safe and clinical. TV studio =/= sweaty rock club

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Zip City wrote:
Tyler wrote:
It's awfully safe and clinical. TV studio =/= sweaty rock club
Regardless of the venue it was a special afternoon and I feel lucky to have been there.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm jealous that you were

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

TW_2.0 wrote:What other Dead stuff is coming out ? Is there something besides the 80-disc monster that I pre-ordered for way too much $$$$ because I can't help myself ?
This:

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

jimmyjack wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:What other Dead stuff is coming out ? Is there something besides the 80-disc monster that I pre-ordered for way too much $$$$ because I can't help myself ?
This:

Ahhh, yes.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote:
Whispering Pines wrote:Given the October 30 release date, any predictions on where DBT will be playing on that night (and Halloween)? I've got to think (okay, hope) that NYC will be getting some rock show love in November.
Agree that they have to hit NYC sometime in late Oct or early Nov. A few months ago there was talk of a northeast run for the fall. If true, those dates would have to be announced soon, right?
I think a release party back at the Fillmore would be a great idea.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:
dogstar wrote:

After a long fight, Amazon now pays state taxes here (at least they charge me for them) so I would think foreign countries could enforce the same, though the VAT would surely complicate things.
More thinking about all the profits from the UK ending up in tax havens so they don't pay any corporation tax.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
Thanks. I remembered the discussion but not the conclusion.