It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

lotusamerica

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by lotusamerica »

LBRod wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:I'm not such a fan of Cooley singing ahead of the beat and he does it on quite a few songs.
youre not alone here. this has always irked me.
So I take it you guys are not Willie Nelson fans.

If I want to hear songs played and sung just like on the albums, I will play the albums.
When i go see a band play live I want them to play and sing the way they feel it in the moment.
Hey LBRod, I'm with you wanting to hear bands mix it up live, and not trying to take any enjoyment of the record away from anyone for sure. Just sharing my reactions...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'm starting to wonder if the Deluxe Edition will ever be released in record stores. I got an email from my local record store that they just heard from their distributor and have no idea when they'll get copies. Just curious, has anyone seen the Deluxe Edition for sale at a record store? As far as I know it's only available at the merch table and at the DBT store. I'd assume with only 2,500 copies out there it will eventually sell out. Glad I decided to just order it from the DBT store the day before release.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

brett27295 wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the Deluxe Edition will ever be released in record stores. I got an email from my local record store that they just heard from their distributor and have no idea when they'll get copies. Just curious, has anyone seen the Deluxe Edition for sale at a record store? As far as I know it's only available at the merch table and at the DBT store. I'd assume with only 2,500 copies out there it will eventually sell out. Glad I decided to just order it from the DBT store the day before release.
I didn't realize that it was limited to 2,500 copies. If I'd known that, I would have bought one at the merch table in Chicago or Madison and canceled my Amazon pre-order when I got home.

I just ordered one from the DBT store and canceled my Amazon pre-order which I placed on October 9. It's more expensive from the DBT store but at least I will get one.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Bill in CT wrote: I didn't realize that it was limited to 2,500 copies. If I'd known that, I would have bought one at the merch table in Chicago or Madison and canceled my Amazon pre-order when I got home.
I didn't either but I saw that number thrown around numerous places after the delay was announced. Whether that number is entirely accurate or not it's surely a fact that they will only do one press run of the Deluxe Edition box. I think that 2,500 copies is ample for this type of release. Remember those RSD releases that are much more limited were available forever. Still I got tired our waiting and ordered from the DBT store the day before it was released.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Duh...the 2,500 copies is literally on the hype sticker on the front of the box! I had forgotten that.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Got two copies from the DBT site - one for me and one for a yet-to-be-determined friend for Christmas.

"Limited to 2,500 copies worldwide. Once it's gone, it's gone!"

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Been playing this incessantly, just love it. I still don't have my thoughts together for my review, but it will definitely piggyback on BTB's insightful post from earlier in this thread. I remember that someone said in the Fillmore thread that Sturgill Simpson's guitar player allegedly made a crack about how "sloppy" the boys played that weekend. What the fuck was he listening to? Asshole.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

ramonz wrote:Got two copies from the DBT site - one for me and one for a yet-to-be-determined friend for Christmas.

"Limited to 2,500 copies worldwide. Once it's gone, it's gone!"

Y'all got me nervous so I just ordered through the DBT website. My son-in-law pre-ordered it for me through Amazon months ago. It was supposed to ship today but he told me that it didn't. There are worse things than having 2 copies.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Still listening to this one daily. What struck me last night is how fresh and invigorated the band sounds. For a band that's been together almost 20 years (more than that for Hood/Cooley) there's not a drop of fatigue or boredom or just going through the motions out of the 35 tunes. As someone who loves rock and roll and somewhat lives for that next DBT show, it made me feel real good about the future.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Count me among those who had NO IDEA this was a limited release. Off to order from the DBT store, I guess.

This is easily one of my favorite albums of the year and I'll be listening to it for years, but since I now have the CD version AND a copy of This Weekend's The Night, I can safely say the, err, shine is off the apple as far as the vinyl box goes. Of course I need to have it, but I can't say I'm gonna be waiting by the mailbox, and buying it feels more like an obligation at this point. What a weird way to release a live box.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Has anyone else noticed that during the jam on "Used to Be a Cop", the bass part is pretty much a straight lift from the Clash? That isn't a bad thing!

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

chuckrh wrote:Has anyone else noticed that during the jam on "Used to Be a Cop", the bass part is pretty much a straight lift from the Clash? That isn't a bad thing!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7234&start=270

Page 10. Yes it's very cool!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Drop D wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Has anyone else noticed that during the jam on "Used to Be a Cop", the bass part is pretty much a straight lift from the Clash? That isn't a bad thing!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7234&start=270

Page 10. Yes it's very cool!
Sorry I didn't catch earlier post. I'm new to the board & haven't read all the back posts. I was going to say "This is Radio Clash" haha. At least I was in the right era! I actually got to see the Clash open for the Who. They blew the Who away! Not an easy feat.

McButton

Post by McButton »

For what it's worth, I just got this from Amazon, still not sure if I should trust this however:

"We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Drive-By Truckers "It's Great To Be Alive! [Explicit][5 LP/3 CD][Box Set]"
Estimated arrival date: December 11, 2015"

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

McButton wrote:For what it's worth, I just got this from Amazon, still not sure if I should trust this however:

"We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Drive-By Truckers "It's Great To Be Alive! [Explicit][5 LP/3 CD][Box Set]"
Estimated arrival date: December 11, 2015"
Patterson posted on the Facebook group a day or two ago that they are dribbling out in batches. It's a manufacturing issue. I assume that eventually the online retailers and record stores will get their copies.

McButton

Post by McButton »

Good to know, I guess that's what I get for neglecting my facebook account.

Oh yeah, and Happy Thanksgiving 3DD!

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

I'm not sure how you all are with digitised music (sorry, America, Digitized)... but Belgian store Fnac has the whole 35 song version for €9.99 at the moment in what I can only assume is a pricing error. If anybody is a little hard up then fill your boots!

www-be.fnacmedia.be

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Got my set last night late,thank you USPS! I've been listening to it on Spotify,but it's just not the same.Best damn thing I've seen or heard in awhile.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My "pre-order" from Amazon shipped today. It's fucking great to still be alive to receive it.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Had planned to buy this in Chattanooga but we weren't able to make the show. Can't wait to hear this on vinyl....
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

brett27295 wrote:Duh...the 2,500 copies is literally on the hype sticker on the front of the box! I had forgotten that.
Dang. I missed that too. Headed to the DBT store now. :lol:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Erdlivz wrote:
brett27295 wrote:Duh...the 2,500 copies is literally on the hype sticker on the front of the box! I had forgotten that.
Dang. I missed that too. Headed to the DBT store now. :lol:
That's exactly what I did because I was worried my Amazon order would get canceled--now I have 2 box sets!!! :lol:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

OK, indulge me here. Listened on vinyl at my daughter and son-in-law's house last night while they were out (getting my new stereo set up for Christmas!). First thing that jumped out at me was the snare and cymbal sound. Stunning. I know y'all know about all the technical reasons for this, but it's been a long time since I've listened to vinyl with the "knowledge" (I know what I don't know) to appreciate this. Bottom line, I heard so much from all the instruments that I never heard on the CD through a decent set up. Truly exciting.

Like BTB has noted already, it's amazing to hear a band play 20-30 year old songs, as well as the newer stuff, like it's the first time they're playing them. Or as Patterson has always said, like it's the last gig they will ever play. Keeping in mind that I was in an altered state of consciousness 8-) I found myself doing this: I would listen to a Patterson song and think, I wish they played more Patterson songs, and then a Cooley song would come up and I would think, I wish they played more Cooley songs. Stoner trying to hold contradictory ideas in his head :lol:

Again, and this is not new observation by any stretch, you just can't fake musical and personal empathy. Since my DBT obsession only dates back to seeing them at the Tabernacle when Matt was playing but had not officially joined the band, I'm amazed by how these songs have changed and progressed for the better over the past several years. I'm just so optimistic for the future of this band, no matter how long this lineup stays together--hopefully for a long time.

That's it for now. Rock on motherfuckers.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

There is a very slim chance that this album will be my "most played" in 2016. Already holds the honor for 2015.

Side 10 may never leave the turntable.
Dave

Clams

Post by Clams »

The crowd is so muted on this record that some of the songs actually sound more like beefed up live studio cuts than live performances. I'm mainly speaking of the Cooley songs which aren't embellished much and stay pretty faithful to the original studio cuts - like Primer Coat, Birthday Boy and a few others. It's hard to even tell they're live cuts with an audience. For contrast, I went back to some of Sloan Simpson's homecoming stream recordings from two years ago when all the English Oceans songs were debuted.** I was wondering if all those old recordings are now obsolete and.... they aren't. Obviously the sound isn't nearly as good what's on IGTBA, but it's kind of nice to hear the songs with the audience cheering and singing along, Cooley's one liners, Patterson's intros, and beer bottles smashing around the 40 Watt during every other song. So while IGTBA does an amazing job of capturing the DBT live sound, I think all those old Archive recordings do a much better job of capturing what it's like to be at the rock show.

** If you're interested, here's a link to my playlist of all 51 songs they played during the homecoming weekend in 2014:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

During Christmas I've spent a lot of time in the car with my wife and kids. Naturally I've listened to this albulm often. I've gotten really good at anticipating curse words both in songs and in songs' introductions and lowering the volume so they're inaudible. Despite my proficiency in this area I am a little worried that my five year old will start his next play or performance at his Baptist school with the words, "Good evening motherfuckers. Let's bring out some motherfucking horns!"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beaverdam wrote:During Christmas I've spent a lot of time in the car with my wife and kids. Naturally I've listened to this albulm often. I've gotten really good at anticipating curse words both in songs and in songs' introductions and lowering the volume so they're inaudible. Despite my proficiency in this area I am a little worried that my five year old will start his next play or performance at his Baptist school with the words, "Good evening motherfuckers. Let's bring out some motherfucking horns!"
Not having kids I have no opinion on the subject but Patterson posted this article on FB so you can get where he's coming from... ;)

5 Reasons I Don’t Give An Eff About Swearing In Front Of My Kids

Flea

Post by Flea »

All I know is that it's wise that She Who Must Be Obeyed and I never procreated. I would become very tired of the calls from the school office, "Mr. Flea, could you please come pick up Junior? He said "cocksucker" again."
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:All I know is that it's wise that She Who Must Be Obeyed and I never procreated. I would become very tired of the calls from the school office, "Mr. Flea, could you please come pick up Junior? He said "cocksucker" again."
So you're saying your kid would have been this guy? :lol: