It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

schlanky wrote:This may be the greatest album in rock and roll history.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anybody know how the album is doing on the charts?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I was looking at the album cover last night for the greatest hits albulm and wondering how to convince my wife that a picture of the albulm cover would look great hanging in our new house. I believe the girl in the bottom right hand corner would add a certain ambiance to our place!!!!!

gepman

Post by gepman »

dogstar wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: The vocals are astonishingly clear. For those of us who try to explain to the uninitiated that at the end of the day the real difference between DBT and the other guys is the lyrics, this is the proof. Virtually every word can be heard, and generally far better than on the studio versions which I think is pretty incredible.
This was the main thing I noticed too. I guess this was a conscious decision when they mixed the album but it's a nice surprise - I've actually found myself listening to the words to the songs again.

I've also discovered lines in some of the songs that I never knew existed - "fuck off if you can't take a joke"
I'm prety sure this started when Shonna left the band. I think it was insinuated at the time that she didn't care for the song and was actually quoted somewhere dissing that song, along with the Flying Wallendas. Every live version of the song I've heard in the last few years he says it.

I believe he says, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke".

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

gepman wrote:
dogstar wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: The vocals are astonishingly clear. For those of us who try to explain to the uninitiated that at the end of the day the real difference between DBT and the other guys is the lyrics, this is the proof. Virtually every word can be heard, and generally far better than on the studio versions which I think is pretty incredible.
This was the main thing I noticed too. I guess this was a conscious decision when they mixed the album but it's a nice surprise - I've actually found myself listening to the words to the songs again.

I've also discovered lines in some of the songs that I never knew existed - "fuck off if you can't take a joke"
I'm prety sure this started when Shonna left the band. I think it was insinuated at the time that she didn't care for the song and was actually quoted somewhere dissing that song, along with the Flying Wallendas. Every live version of the song I've heard in the last few years he says it.

I believe he says, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke".
Yes, I've heard it as "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke". The first time we heard Patterson break out that line, a few years ago, we did a double take. Now UR and I are shouting that line along with him each time, it's such a great addition and a lot of fun to yell at the top of your lungs.

We're still waiting for the full box set to arrive. I completely understand delays with the pressing, that will happen. Based on the digital version, this is a stellar album. I think it confirms how amazing this version of the band is. The sequencing is perfect, Patterson's hard work on that really paid off. I'm not sure what to add as others have captured my thoughts already. Just count me in on somebody who thinks this album is terrific.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I've probably listened to it start to finish 12-15 times now and every listen just gets better. They truly knocked it out of the park on this one. By no means could I pick a favorite song (or even top 5 songs) but the reworked Righteous Path is the one that always gets stuck in my head. I've always liked the album version, can't ever recall catching it live but this version really shines. I totally dig the way Patterson has reworked the vocals.

The groove EZB and Matt lock into on Sounds Better in the Song also kills me every time.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

EZB is just sneaking around all over the place
Always go to the show

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:EZB is just sneaking around all over the place
Always said he's a very musical and tasteful drummer. Spend some time focusing on him and Matt and one will be rewarded.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Love this boxset. On a side note, two of my "mini posters" are blurry as hell. Anyone else have this issue. I don't really care, as I won't display them, just curious.

Been gone awhile, lurking, but not posting.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Which guitarist has the out of control phase/flange/wah/whatever it is on Birthday Boy? There's a noticeable OOoowahOOoowahOOoowahOOoowah sound running through the whole song. Drives my dog crazy and I have to agree with her.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

Duke Silver wrote:Which guitarist has the out of control phase/flange/wah/whatever it is on Birthday Boy? There's a noticeable OOoowahOOoowahOOoowahOOoowah sound running through the whole song. Drives my dog crazy and I have to agree with her.
I think it's Cooley. I can hear it on Uncle Frank too, though not as strong as on Birthday Boy.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I am not crazy about that either. Hopefully it is just a phase - as they have been re-working some older tunes, etc. with the current lineup. Speaking of that, I'd love to hear reworkings of some of the Patterson tunes from TBTD and GGB. Not giving up on Go-Go Boots, The Fireplace Poker, Ray's Automatic Weapon, etc. Still appreciate a lot of stuff from those 2 albums.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I'm listening (finally) on a 40 year old record player, and it sounds great! I'm not a musicologist, but this mix is awesome. I can hear the vocals and each instrument distinctively. Don't give me the third degree but I've never been a huge fan of the song English Oceans, but it sounds awesome on here. This weekend just peaked on Friday night!!!! I've never been to San Franciso but I sure listened to the live album!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beaverdam wrote:I'm listening (finally) on a 40 year old record player, and it sounds great! I'm not a musicologist, but this mix is awesome. I can hear the vocals and each instrument distinctively. Don't give me the third degree but I've never been a huge fan of the song English Oceans, but it sounds awesome on here. This weekend just peaked on Friday night!!!! I've never been to San Franciso but I sure listened to the live album!
The grey bearded man in the corner just corrected me, "It's not a 'record player' it's a STEREO SYSTEM!"

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

So does anyone know when these will make it to stores? It's typical of my luck: I've pre-ordered the last few albums and been gravely disappointed each time. Had to see the albums in the record store knowing full well mine was floating around somewhere in the USPS, and after paying unreasonable shipping prices too. Finally, I learned my lesson and ordered IGTBA from Amazon, and...well, you all know the rest. Sure would be nice to, you know, buy this fucking thing...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jimmyjack wrote:So does anyone know when these will make it to stores? It's typical of my luck: I've pre-ordered the last few albums and been gravely disappointed each time. Had to see the albums in the record store knowing full well mine was floating around somewhere in the USPS, and after paying unreasonable shipping prices too. Finally, I learned my lesson and ordered IGTBA from Amazon, and...well, you all know the rest. Sure would be nice to, you know, buy this fucking thing...
Take heart, jj. I just got home from Chitown and found my order (cd's, vinyl, tshirt) waiting for me. :D Took longer than I would have liked (gee, there's a surprise) but it turned into a nice capper to a great wkend. Here's hoping you get some satisfaction soon.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Duke Silver wrote:Which guitarist has the out of control phase/flange/wah/whatever it is on Birthday Boy? There's a noticeable OOoowahOOoowahOOoowahOOoowah sound running through the whole song. Drives my dog crazy and I have to agree with her.
Think it's Patterson actually. "I use a phase shifter one song a night on Cooley’s “Birthday Boy,” although I didn’t use it on the record" http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/I ... ots?page=3
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

LastLawson wrote:
Think it's Patterson actually. "I use a phase shifter one song a night on Cooley’s “Birthday Boy,” although I didn’t use it on the record" http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/I ... ots?page=3
I agree.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sjsteuck

Post by sjsteuck »

I bought the box set at last night's show in Madison. I met Patterson after the show and he was super pleased I bought the vinyl version. I was super pleased it was available for only $60, along with fully autographed posters for just $30.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:
Good to see you, LL.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

beantownbubba wrote:
LastLawson wrote:
Good to see you, LL.
Thanks! Been really enjoying this album, especially since I missed my first chance at a rock show :( Was all set for Orlando on the 12th... until I got 3 exams + an interview on the 13th...
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I think I've only listened to the whole thing through a few times. I've been digesting it in chunks. I'll listen to chunks of maybe 5 tunes at a time, over and over. There is a lot to dig into and digest here. What a great album. What a great recording. Great performances. What an amazing band. Matt Patton and EZB are just killing it here. That groove on "Sounds Better in the Song" almost brings me to, ahem, completion. My word. There are so many outstanding moments on this thing that it would take too long to list them. Just about every tune is my favorite tune on the album while I'm listening to it.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I'm kind of the odd man out. So far at least. I think the band is playing great and I've never heard Patterson singing better, and some of the updated arrangements really up the game. On the flip side, I'm not such a fan of Cooley singing ahead of the beat and he does it on quite a few songs. And I'm not as excited as others of you with the mix - to my ears, the guitars are too low, the keyboards too high and the vocals too dry. I also would have liked more live miking - the audience is so muted it sounds small and only marginally into the songs. Major caveat - haven't heard the vinyl, only whatever version is streaming on Spotify.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think that's fair. I'd say the vocals are almost TOO good, and if I didn't know better, might have been rerecorded in studio (ALERT: I'm NOT accusing the band of doing this, just saying that's the way it sounds in the mix). It also feels less "live" to me than Okonokos or Kicking Television, probably for the reason you described (low audience mix, dry vocals)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

lotusamerica wrote:I'm not such a fan of Cooley singing ahead of the beat and he does it on quite a few songs.
youre not alone here. this has always irked me. i also find that some of cooley's more strained vocal moments can be offputting, and there are a few on here. that kind of thing isnt really an issue with patterson, cuz his voice is rougher to begin with, but i find cooleys voice loses a lot when its not studio clear. in person id be too caught up in the experience to care, but listening to a cleaned up release like this at home makes it obvious, and i cant say im a fan.

having said that i like this release for what it is. im not much of a live album guy but there are a few versions on here that differ enough from the studio albums that its worth having. 3 hours of music for $10, so i cant complain.

i also agree that it doesnt really sound especially live. not a complaint, cuz a lot of the standard live album things (crowd noise, poor mix) are what keep me from really caring about them in general (just as an example, i cant listen to james browns live at the apollo cuz the shrieking crowd noise is just overpowering), just an observation. its almost like they wanted to release a new greatest hits album, but with all the latest arrangements so they focused more on that and less on the live experience. not saying i disagree or anything, just something i noticed. there are lengthy stretches on here you can forget this even is live.

i might have missed this discussion but is there any reason let there be rock isnt on here? just no good take of it from that weekend? for a release that tries to be the definitive dbt package its a glaring omission imo.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Shakespeare wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:I'm not such a fan of Cooley singing ahead of the beat and he does it on quite a few songs.
youre not alone here. this has always irked me.
So I take it you guys are not Willie Nelson fans.

If I want to hear songs played and sung just like on the albums, I will play the albums.
When i go see a band play live I want them to play and sing the way they feel it in the moment.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i agree

but in the case of cooley speeding up his delivery, i personally dont like it. if thats how he "feels it," thats totally fine, but i dont like it, and this super cleaned up live recording makes it more obvious to my ears.

i wouldnt say patterson sings anything exactly the way he does on the albums, and i rarely have a problem with his delivery. its just a cooley thing and its always bugged me. not enough to turn off any live recording, but enough to notice and turn my nose up.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

What Cooley songs for example?

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

off the top of my head, where the devil dont stay is the most egregious, but to varying extents its in all cooley songs

and again, its just a personal qualm of mine. im sure theres a reason he does it and thats fine. i dont have to like it. wasnt trying to start a whole thing about it either.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I was just wondering, its cool man