It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gaetzi

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Gaetzi »

I downloaded it from iTunes Friday so I'm sans booklet/ liner notes but my hat's off to the band and Barbe, they really knocked it out of the park with this one. It's a tough to comparison to make as DBT will never be as big as the Allmans or the Band, etc but for us fans, I think this album will safely fall somewhere within the top 10 live albums of all time. At least for me it will. It's the DBT's Live at Fillmore East, the Last Waltz, Waiting for Columbus, etc. I really think its that good. And I love the flow of it, it's laid out like the best 3 hr DBT show one could ask for these days. They fucking killed it with this release.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

gepman

Post by gepman »

Drop D wrote:
gepman wrote:What, no Dancin' Ricky??
paradisoams58 wrote:Whatever happened to "Margo and Harold???
Yep, must be Deluxe Edition, obvious when you think about it...
I was actually holding out hope that the selections that didn't make the cut would be available as bonus tracks, alas, no such luck.

Seriously, really enjoying the selections. This could easily be 50 songs spread over 5 cd's.

Dead, Drunk, Naked
Guitarman Upstairs
Cottonseed
One of These Days
Panties in Your Purse
Love Like This
The Buford Stick
The Southern Thing
Why Henry Drinks
Two Daughters
Nine Bullets
Let There Be Rock
Road Cases
Steve McQueen
Heathens
4th Night of My Drinking
After The Scene Dies
GG Allin
Company I Keep
Tails Facing Up
Carl Perkins

Never mind the Isbell contributions:
Danko Manuel
Never Gonna Change
God Damn Lonely Love
Outfit
Decoration Day

Never mind, that's probably 60 songs. I never was good at editing...

Hmmmm... Still no Tucker tunes...

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I think yall are being a tad harsh on Shonna. "I'm Sorry Houston" was a good song, and most of the others she wrote are decent enough, and certainly none are embarrassing. I'll even take "I Hear You Hummin" over, oh, I dunno, "When The Well Runs Dry" or "Daylight." But that's just me.

I also know from being a Deadhead how quickly these light ribbings can devolve into sexism (Shonna=Donna). Certainly not accusing anyone of that, but I think it's important to appreciate Shonna's contributions to the band, if nothing else, as part of the story. And I don't think anyone here would find any fault in her bass playing (though I will admit I prefer MP).

Truthfully, I'm pretty happy with a Hood / Cooley songwriting team. I rate most of Jason's contributions during his time in the band pretty highly, I also think he peaked early and that DBT brought out the best in him.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

I kept a list for all 3 nights I think is accurate. This is what didn't make the cut that I know of. Could have missed a few:

Daddy Needs a Drink
Everybody Needs Love
Man I Shot
Bulldozers
Daddy Learned to Fly
Part of Him
Play it All Night
Buttholeville
LBR
Pulaski
Love like this
Southern Thing
The Distance

It is an amazing statement about the depth of a bands catalog when songs like Carl Perkins, One of these Days or Self-Destructive are not even played to see whether they might make the cut or not. Similar to the fact that Patterson hasn't played Goodbye in years. I love that song.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Of those, the biggest loss for me is Love Like This

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The sound on this is just short of amazing. Hats off to Barbe and the band for capturing the DBT live experience.
Dave

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

I agree. I recall the version coming off well. In the draft room when trying to choose between it and the similar tempo and volume of When the Pin Hits the Shell, there might have been a thought to include one less song about suicide (since there were already 3 others) and include one about domestic abuse where the gender roles of the usual beater and beatee are reversed.....ha....Actually I like them both about the same.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

What I really love about the sound is how Matt's base stands out. I during the coda on Grand Canyon, I'm reminded of Phil Lesh on some Dead jam. Very fitting historically with the name Fillmore and the City

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jimmyjack wrote:I think yall are being a tadI'll even take "I Hear You Hummin" over, oh, I dunno, "When The Well Runs Dry" or "Daylight." But that's just me.
Yes, it's just you ;)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Smitty wrote:
Jonicont wrote:They need to stop all these dinosaur act reissues
:lol: :lol:

njMark

Post by njMark »

Goode's Field Road alone is worth the price of admission, so to speak.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

jimmyjack wrote:I also know from being a Deadhead how quickly these light ribbings can devolve into sexism (Shonna=Donna). Certainly not accusing anyone of that, but I think it's important to appreciate Shonna's contributions to the band, if nothing else, as part of the story. And I don't think anyone here would find any fault in her bass playing (though I will admit I prefer MP).
The new album and recent interviews with Patterson have brought to mind earlier official live releases which started with revisiting this clip from The Dirty South: Live at the 40 Watt DVD a few nights ago. Shonna's more than holding her own here. I haven't really thought about it too much 'til I watched this but it's hard to believe so much time has passed since this first came out.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

IMO, Shonna's biggest contribution to DBT was as a vocalist. She laid down some great harmonies over the years ("Opening Act" anyone?) and "Where's Eddie?" is gorgeous.

She wasn't a great (or even much above average) songwriter, but she was good with a melody. Her songs were fairly catchy, but ultimately being compared to some of the best songwriters of this generation. Her bass playing was acceptable. Not a weak link, but not something that stood out in a positive way either.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

T-minus 3.5 weeks until we move. Wife-"Stop dancing around and singing and wrap this shit". It's like being at the rock show
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:T-minus 3.5 weeks until we move. Wife-"Stop dancing around and singing and wrap this shit". It's like being at the rock show
:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Jonicont wrote:
Flea wrote:
Flea wrote:Just finished perusing the booklet. Only Heathen i could identify was Cactus Ken right smack in the middle of one of the crowd shots.
Upon further review, Bill, UR and CG may also be seen in the pics.
Inside cover of the cd case--Headhunter (partially obscured), Yours Truly (in the balcony), Cactus Ken (hat), Katie eightyfive (hands in the air), Uncle Ricky, and of course Bill

Does anyone know which night the picture in the center of the booklet was taken? The one where you can see Lbrod, and katie eightyfive holding it down front and center.

I can't believe how inexpensive the CD was. I bought it yesterday at Dimple Records in Roseville, on sale for $12.99. The full price was only $14.99. That's cheap. I had assumed it would be twice that.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

sactochris wrote:Does anyone know which night the picture in the center of the booklet was taken? The one where you can see Lbrod, and katie eightyfive holding it down front and center.
It's not night #2
Always go to the show

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

If this is the picture in question, it was Thursday, night 1.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

LBRod wrote:Image
If this is the picture in question, it was Thursday, night 1.
I think that is me straight out from Cooley, at the extreme right of the photo, sort of under chandelier. But nowhere near certain
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Goddamn.
TBH while I was excited about this release, I wasn't that excited, with so many bootlegs available (not to mention AAW and ACL). DBT are one of if not my favorite live band, but I just never thought they translated as well on recordings as they do in person... but holy shit was I wrong.

I think "Box of Spiders" and "Goode's Field Road" are worth the price of admission alone.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:I think "Box of Spiders" and "Goode's Field Road" are worth the price of admission alone.
Since I first heard "Goode's Field Road" as a live acoustic version, that's the one that stuck with me for years. I never disliked the updated arrangement but always preferred the original. Now, that original version, which I still like, just falls sort of flat to my ears. The newer version took some time to grow on me but damn what a monster it is live.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: Since I first heard "Goode's Field Road" as a live acoustic version, that's the one that stuck with me for years. I never disliked the updated arrangement but always preferred the original. Now, that original version, which I still like, just falls sort of flat to my ears. The newer version took some time to grow on me but damn what a monster it is live.
I much preferred the "fast" alternate version of it for years. Until the past two years or so when it has turned into a tour-de-force live. As far as I'm concerned the definitive version of Goode's Field Road is the live version on the new release.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote: Since I first heard "Goode's Field Road" as a live acoustic version, that's the one that stuck with me for years. I never disliked the updated arrangement but always preferred the original. Now, that original version, which I still like, just falls sort of flat to my ears. The newer version took some time to grow on me but damn what a monster it is live.
I much preferred the "fast" alternate version of it for years. Until the past two years or so when it has turned into a tour-de-force live. As far as I'm concerned the definitive version of Goode's Field Road is the live version on the new release.
I think a big part of why I've come to love it so much, besides the fact that it just smoulders live, is that it's so different than anything else in the DBT's catalog. At least to my ears.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I love the "new" bluesy stomp GFR but not the talky part.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The reaso I dislike the fast version (on TFP) is because it makes it just another DBT song. The original (and live version) have that dirty swamp blues thing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Even though it never appeared on a record until Brighter Than Creation's Dark, I tend to think of the version on The Fine Print as the original, as that's how I heard it performed for years. At any rate, I've definitely come around to loving the newer incarnation.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Has anyone heard anything lately on the "pre-order" status? I ordered months ago and still haven't gotten or heard squat.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Daddy_played_poker wrote:Has anyone heard anything lately on the "pre-order" status? I ordered months ago and still haven't gotten or heard squat.
You should have gotten an email explaining that there were production delays w/ the vinyl, which is now expected to ship by 11/9. The email does not explain why that resulted in them not shipping the cd version (the separate one, not the discs w/ the vinyl), but hey, you can't exactly be surprised, can you?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

I ordered the CD from Amazon UK weeks ago and was expecting it on Saturday. Yesterday I got this email in the middle of the night saying in effect I wouldn't get it until next year! I cancelled the order and ordered one from another seller which has been dispatched already. It seems crazy Amazon can't supply one for 2 months, I wonder what's gone wrong...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Drop D wrote:I ordered the CD from Amazon UK weeks ago and was expecting it on Saturday. Yesterday I got this email in the middle of the night saying in effect I wouldn't get it until next year! I cancelled the order and ordered one from another seller which has been dispatched already. It seems crazy Amazon can't supply one for 2 months, I wonder what's gone wrong...

Out of stock as a result of the SOL vinyl pre-orderers flocking to buy the CD?
ain't no static on the gospel radio