It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: It's Great to Be Alive! Release Date 10/30/2015

Post by Cole Younger »

Y'all ever listen to archived live footage in podcast format over at iTunes? It's from when Jason was in the band. It's really, really good. Great sound quality.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying sonically speaking, the recording is better than the real thing.
Well of course sonically speaking a live multi-track, properly mixed recording will always sound better than the actual live concert. From just the stream alone I'm convinced that It's Great To Be Alive is the ultimate audio record of a DBT show.

I'm just saying, in my opinion of course, that it doesn't come close to the experience of a live DBT show. If I had the choice to hear the next 20 shows they play in the quality of the new boxset or actually attend the next 20 shows in person I would choose to attend the shows every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That doesn't change the fact that I think the new release is fantastic.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying sonically speaking, the recording is better than the real thing.
Well of course sonically speaking a live multi-track, properly mixed recording will always sound better than the actual live concert. From just the stream alone I'm convinced that It's Great To Be Alive is the ultimate audio record of a DBT show.

I'm just saying, in my opinion of course, that it doesn't come close to the experience of a live DBT show. If I had the choice to hear the next 20 shows they play in the quality of the new boxset or actually attend the next 20 shows in person I would choose to attend the shows every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That doesn't change the fact that I think the new release is fantastic.
Agreed. The sound and the experience are entirely different things.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The gap is certainly wider between a DBT live experience and this record vs., say, Kicking Televison or Okonokos. Wilco and MMJ are two of the best mixed live bands I've ever seen
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

I'm a picky bastard, but Jay's keys and even sometimes his guitar is buried in some of these songs. Also, the horns are buried in the mix too on the few songs with the horn section. If you're gonna do songs with horns at least have them up front with the mix.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:I'm a picky bastard, but Jay's keys and even sometimes his guitar is buried in some of these songs. Also, the horns are buried in the mix too on the few songs with the horn section. If you're gonna do songs with horns at least have them up front with the mix.
I suspect the "official" release will sound much better than Soundcloud.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

bovine knievel wrote:
No doubt the quality will be much better on vinyl and cd. However if the "problem" is in the mix than the improved fidelity won't help that much. I'll reserve judgement until I get the vinyl box in my greedy little hands.

Clams

Post by Clams »

If ATO uploaded the official mp3's to Soundcloud, why would those sound better or worse than the actual mp3's on the cd's? Aren't they the same files?

On an unrelated note, I love how the sequencing of the songs mirrors what an actual show would be like. And there are some really good back to back pairings: Lookout Mtn/Devil Don't Stay, Uncle Frank/Putting People on the Moon, Birthday Boy/Girls Who Smoke/Three Dimes, Pin Hits the Shell/World of Hurt (the horns work so well with both), plus the whole encore portion from Hell No (which I'm guessing closed the main set?) through Grand Canyon. The whole thing flows so well.

Couple more points: Sounds Better in the Song with its updated arrangement and Mercy Buckets might be the hidden gems in the entire set. Both are under the radar DBT songs and they really sound great. And, interesting that they decided not to include any covers.
If you don't run you rust

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

The arrangement is nearly perfect. Also, I love having the live version of "box of spiders". Much superior to the original version the way they play it now. Wish "bulldozers and dirt" and "one of these days" were on here too as I think the current live versions of those outdo the early days recorded versions.
It's a great record and it's great to be alive! :)

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Couple more points: Sounds Better in the Song with its updated arrangement

I love the groove Brad and Patton lock into. Jay's organ also provides some great color at the end of the tune. I've heard it live enough that I find myself surprised when I hear the solo acoustic (w slide) version on Decoration Day these days.

And as much as I love Cooley, I can't say I'm a big fan of how he rushes some of his verses these days (Zip City comes to mind), compared to the original album pacings. It's something Bob Weir has been doing for years that really irks me.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:If ATO uploaded the official mp3's to Soundcloud, why would those sound better or worse than the actual mp3's on the cd's? Aren't they the same files?
Same digital files but lower resolution than the MP3s you'll be buying on Itunes and much lower than the CDs which aren't MP3 files at all. The mix will be exactly the same no matter the format or the resolution. The only difference will be the quality.

I am assuming (hoping) that that they recorded these shows to analog tape. I much prefer all analog vinyl without any digital in the chain. That's the way they've recorded, mixed, and mastered the last few studio albums so I'm hoping it's the same for this live release!

roland

Post by roland »

bovine knievel wrote:
heartbreaker1976 wrote:I'm a picky bastard, but Jay's keys and even sometimes his guitar is buried in some of these songs. Also, the horns are buried in the mix too on the few songs with the horn section. If you're gonna do songs with horns at least have them up front with the mix.
I thought the same about the shitty sounding Cooley songs on the EE leak. What a fool I was to believe.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

roland wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
I thought the same about the shitty sounding Cooley songs on the EE leak. What a fool I was to believe.
Thank goodness for that random poster who sent me "squeal free" versions of those tracks
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

phungi

Post by phungi »

brett27295 wrote:
Clams wrote:If ATO uploaded the official mp3's to Soundcloud, why would those sound better or worse than the actual mp3's on the cd's? Aren't they the same files?
Same digital files but lower resolution than the MP3s you'll be buying on Itunes and much lower than the CDs which aren't MP3 files at all. The mix will be exactly the same no matter the format or the resolution. The only difference will be the quality.

I am assuming (hoping) that that they recorded these shows to analog tape. I much prefer all analog vinyl without any digital in the chain. That's the way they've recorded, mixed, and mastered the last few studio albums so I'm hoping it's the same for this live release!
agreed. the horns and "highs" on "Shit Shots" are completely muffled. The audio range will expand considerably on the actual CDs
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Gaetzi wrote:And as much as I love Cooley, I can't say I'm a big fan of how he rushes some of his verses these days (Zip City comes to mind), compared to the original album pacings. It's something Bob Weir has been doing for years that really irks me.
As someone said to me when I pointed that out a while back, Willie's been doing something similar for years as well. Cooley's gonna do what Cooley's gonna do - and likely more now that it's been brought up! :lol: (but someone would have tell him the crazies are talking about it first :D )

gepman

Post by gepman »

Gaetzi wrote:And as much as I love Cooley, I can't say I'm a big fan of how he rushes some of his verses these days (Zip City comes to mind), compared to the original album pacings. It's something Bob Weir has been doing for years that really irks me.
I think it started when he began "finger picking" his way through songs at his solo-acoustic shows.
He seems to rush through those songs (to my ears)...
Not a big fan of it either, melody and meter is as important as words sometimes...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gaetzi wrote:And as much as I love Cooley, I can't say I'm a big fan of how he rushes some of his verses these days (Zip City comes to mind), compared to the original album pacings.
I wonder how much people singing along drives that. I'd give a lot to hear him sing that last part of Zip City clearly, with that great melody line.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Anyone gotten an email saying their pre-order has shipped ?

My confirmation email said on or around 10/27

Not holding my breath, however.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

The live stream has been fun. The vocals seem to be out front & clear. I'm catching a couple lyrics that I usually miss hearing.

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-out ... -rollings/

Recent article from Blue Ridge Outdoors on DBT & the new live album.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I picked up my copy today at my local record store. I'm looking forward to the first spin in a little while.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

TW_2.0 wrote:Anyone gotten an email saying their pre-order has shipped ?

My confirmation email said on or around 10/27

Not holding my breath, however.
Yep.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Can't wait to get this tonight (I can usually get new releases at my record store a day early).

Can anyone who has this already tell me what the deluxe packaging is like? Like, are the included CDs in a proper jewel case / digipack, or just in paper sleeves? It may mean the difference between me buying the standard CD version in addition to the 5LP + 3CD version. I hate those little envelope thingies.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Aaaaaand just got this email.

I don't know why I thought this time with the pre-order would be different. Shame on me.

Thank you for pre-ordering It's Great To Be Alive Deluxe LP/CD set.

Due to production delays, the ship date for both LPs has been pushed back a few days. All pre-orders placed at the DBT store will now be shipped on or before November 9th. We are truly very sorry for the delays but unfortunately this is a risk you run with manufacturing vinyl, especially such a large scale project as this one. Please know we are doing everything we can to get these out to you as quickly as possible. We are sending you the digital download of the album on the release day and you will see your copy first, before they make it into record stores.

Here is a link and code for a free download of the album so you can enjoy it while you wait for your merchandise to arrive.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

ford911

Post by ford911 »

that's a bummer

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just received my shipping notice from Amazon for the CD's. Scheduled to arrive tomorrow. :)
If you don't run you rust

claretkid

Post by claretkid »

Meanwhile...in the UK...

I pre-ordered the 5lp/3cd box set from Amazon.co.uk and was expecting to receive it this Saturday. Got an email from Amazon this morning, telling me the release date has been shifted by their suppliers to...wait for it...March 2016...!!! :o :x :cry:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

TW_2.0 wrote:Aaaaaand just got this email.

I don't know why I thought this time with the pre-order would be different. Shame on me.

Thank you for pre-ordering It's Great To Be Alive Deluxe LP/CD set.

Due to production delays, the ship date for both LPs has been pushed back a few days. All pre-orders placed at the DBT store will now be shipped on or before November 9th. We are truly very sorry for the delays but unfortunately this is a risk you run with manufacturing vinyl, especially such a large scale project as this one. Please know we are doing everything we can to get these out to you as quickly as possible. We are sending you the digital download of the album on the release day and you will see your copy first, before they make it into record stores.

Here is a link and code for a free download of the album so you can enjoy it while you wait for your merchandise to arrive.
Damn, that sounds like all vinyl will be delayed. I was planning on stopping by my local record store tomorrow after work to pick it up. I'm going to give them a call and see if they've heard of a delay with the vinyl edition.