The Norva - July 24th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The Norva - July 24th

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:Pregame in ramonz's mancave and a rock show with all the freaks and geeks who posted in this thread? Color me jealous. Have fun yall.
It's a Friday, and only a 5 hour drive from Philly. Just saying.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
Clams wrote:Pregame in ramonz's mancave and a rock show with all the freaks and geeks who posted in this thread? Color me jealous. Have fun yall.
It's a Friday, and only a 5 hour drive from Philly. Just saying.
The thought did cross my mind but family stuff is taking me north instead of south this weekend.
Last edited by Clams on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't run you rust

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

We'll be there and I think CooleyFreak is coming down from Charlottesville. Looking forward to the rawk show on home-turf.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'm out for this....Too much shit going on to break away.

A Friday night Truckers show is a thing of beauty. Enjoy!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

chickenwingpuke

We have 2 really great fairly new breweries in town, O'Connor Brewing Company and Smartmouth Brewing. Both offer seriously killer beers and are a short cab ride from the venue. They'll be happening Friday afternoon if you guys make it to town early and are looking for something to do.
Go to O'Connor's and get an El Guapo. or go to Smartmouth and have a Rule G - they're my favorites. 5 points for whoever can tell me where Rule G got its name. (hint - Norfolk is a railroad town)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

So far the Norva show looks like:

Gang Green
Flea
Brett & Tracy
CG/UR/Jonicont
paheathen + mister
Big Tom
lotusamerica
chickenwingpuke
CooleyFreak

If you are "in" for some relaxed pre-game at my casa (burgers, dogs, chicken, local beer, tunes), please PM me and let me know your plans and/or what you'd like to eat. If we get a good headcount, we can rock the cave and make it happen. If folks would rather hang in the Norva's immediate neighborhood, that's cool too - just lemme know if you don't mind.

Looking forward to catching up with all you guys, either beforehand or at the show.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Just pulled the trigger on this one. And as an added attraction I get another wacky road trip with Bill & Frank. Been missing all you guys.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Slipkid42 wrote:Just pulled the trigger on this one. And as an added attraction I get another wacky road trip with Bill & Frank. Been missing all you guys.

Yay, Slippy
Always go to the show

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Jonicont wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Just pulled the trigger on this one. And as an added attraction I get another wacky road trip with Bill & Frank. Been missing all you guys.

Yay, Slippy
Shweet!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm in for this show. Look forward to my 2nd visit to Norfolk.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Damn, it's turning out to be quite a crew for this one. Shweet!

It sounds like most would prefer to hang close to the venue and/or at O'Connor (http://oconnorbrewing.com/) pre-game, so no spelunking and boigaz and such this time.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

ramonz wrote:Damn, it's turning out to be quite a crew for this one. Shweet!

It sounds like most would prefer to hang close to the venue and/or at O'Connor (http://oconnorbrewing.com/) pre-game, so no spelunking and boigaz and such this time.
Thanks for offering. On my end, I have to drive down after work, so not even entirely sure when I'll be getting in.... Could somebody list on here where any hanging out activities are going down once things get rolling...?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

lotusamerica wrote:
ramonz wrote:Damn, it's turning out to be quite a crew for this one. Shweet!

Thanks for offering. On my end, I have to drive down after work, so not even entirely sure when I'll be getting in.... Could somebody list on here where any hanging out activities are going down once things get rolling...?

Here are my GOOD EATS and GREAT BEER recommendations. Several are within walking distance of the Norva and the others are 5-10 minutes away max.

BREAKFAST or LUNCH

Handsome Biscuit (http://www.handsomebiscuit.com/) – small, crazy place w/ insanely good “comfort food” styled around biscuits. Probably 4 minute drive from Norva. The pulled pork BBQ w/ apple cole slaw is ridiculously good.
2511 Colonial Ave, Norfolk, VA 23517
Love this: “we do not have a phone.”

LUNCH or DINNER

Field Guide (http://fieldguide.is/)– really cool restaurant 3 or 4 blocks away from the Norva. Interesting food combos (but all super tasty and not weird). Casual atmosphere with cool open wall eating facing Granby St. It's not nearly as yuppy as the website pic makes it look.
429 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 943-9805

TOAST (http://www.toastplace.com/) - new joint opened by the owners of Handsome Biscuit. 2400 Colonial Ave. Everything is on toast, Texas-sized toast. Really tasty stuff. $5 meals. Can't miss for inexpensive grub in an urban atmosphere.

Cogan’s Pizza (http://www.coganspizza.com/ordereze/default.aspx) - really eclectic/artsy place with great pizza, beers, and atmosphere. Solid outdoor seating (under awning) as well. Probably 5 minute drive from Norva.
1901 Colonial Ave, Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 627-6428

Empire (http://www.littlebarbistro.com/) - great little place (tapas) a block away from the Norva. I’m sure the band/crew has eaten there before. Tons of beers.
257 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 626-3100

80/20 Burger Bar (https://www.facebook.com/8020BurgerBar) - very tasty burgers and large selection of beers. You’ll find everything from college students to families.
123 W 21st St, Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 233-7900

BREWERIES

O'Connor Brewing Co. (http://oconnorbrewing.com/) - kick ass brewery less than 5 minute drive from Norva. Huge place with music and a ton of great beers, made right there. Usually live music. Opens at 3pm. Not really much food, but they often have food trucks on site. Check out some Bro's Fish Tacos if they are there! Very urban setting.
211 W 24th St, Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 623-2337

Smartmouth (http://smartmouthbrewing.com/) - another great local brewery, less than 10 minutes away from Norva. Opens at 4:30pm. No food, but they often have a food truck as well. Can't go wrong.
1309 Raleigh Avenue, Suite 300, Norfolk, VA 23507
Phone: (757) 624-3939

Flea

Post by Flea »

Ramonz, don't tell them about Doumars. Should be kept a local secret.
Now it's dark.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

O'Connor is having CXB BBQ and Eats food truck this afternoon/tonight. They should get there b/w 3pm - 4pm.

https://www.facebook.com/CxbBbqAndEats BBQ, burgers, philly cheese steaks, brisket, etc.

This would be a great place to meet up pregame, unless folks want to hang w/in a block or two of the venue. Directions from Norva: http://www.mapquest.com/directions?form ... 8a49ac1914

1.75 miles.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Flea wrote:Ramonz, don't tell them about Doumars. Should be kept a local secret.
You know Flea, I thought about Doumar's. 50's diner style old-school BBQ. Love them, love the family, but no beer, etc. I kept thinking of Seger in "Turn the Page"....bunch of DBT fans walk in and the bee hive heads turn to look.....

What's your plan?

Flea

Post by Flea »

ramonz wrote:
Flea wrote:Ramonz, don't tell them about Doumars. Should be kept a local secret.
You know Flea, I thought about Doumar's. 50's diner style old-school BBQ. Love them, love the family, but no beer, etc. I kept thinking of Seger in "Turn the Page"....bunch of DBT fans walk in and the bee hive heads turn to look.....

What's your plan?
Working for the better part of the day, so any preshow shenanigans are out.
Now it's dark.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Doors at 7?
Dave

chickenwingpuke

Hey, Doumar's sells beer...Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller. Might not be El Guapo or an S Turn, but they sell beer!

ramonz wrote:

What's your plan?

Flea

Post by Flea »

chickenwingpuke wrote:Hey, Doumar's sells beer...Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller. Might not be El Guapo or an S Turn, but they sell beer!

ramonz wrote:

What's your plan?

Alternatively, get curb service and drink whatever the hell you want!
Now it's dark.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ramonz puttin' work in. And I thought there were only all chain restaurants in Tidewater!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:Ramonz puttin' work in. And I thought there were only all chain restaurants in Tidewater!
Why do you hate the South?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

If the wifi cooperates tonight I will be streaming audio. Time to be determined.

http://m.ustream.tv/channel/team-three-dimes-down
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

BigTom wrote:If the wifi cooperates tonight I will be streaming audio. Time to be determined.

http://m.ustream.tv/channel/team-three-dimes-down
God bless you sir!!!!!!!!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've got the stream tuned in......what time is DBT supposed to hit the stage?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

oh there they are
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

3 Dimes Down
Ronnie and Neil
Sounds Better in the Song
(Something's Got to) Give Pretty Soon
Women Without Whiskey
Used to be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
The Company I Keep
Shit Shots Count
Puttin' People on the Moon
Space City
Feb 14
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
Primer Coat
Pauline Hawkins
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Margaret
Buckets of Mercy
First Air of Autumn
Let there be Rock
Zip City
Grand Canyon

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Had a blast tonight at the NorVa. Got to hang out with quite a few 3DD & DBT FB friends both before & during the show. The NorVa is a gorgeous venue (though beer is a tad pricey). Great performance for our 25th show...hard to rank them at this point but no one was complaining! Special shout out to JoniCont for delivering gig used EasyB sticks to my kids after the show. They are fired up about that!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

chickenwingpuke

Fucking awesome show. Nuff said.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Big ups to Big Tom! You definitely made my Friday night - probably the whole weekend. I wanted to go to this show so bad but the fates conspired to keep me away...in person that is. Missed Sound Better In A Song again. Damnit! This was definitely one of those "Oh yeah? Well top this type shows". What a fuckin' setlist! Cooley has big balls playing Space City at that point in the night and after PPOTM - but you already knew that.