UPDATE - DBT @ Beachland TONIGHT (7/20)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

The Avon Lady

Re: UPDATE - DBT @ Beachland TONIGHT (7/20)

Post by The Avon Lady »

Can some one cut and paste the facebook link for those of us who cant facebook at work!?!? I am dying to hear/see how this show went!!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Avon Lady wrote:Can some one cut and paste the facebook link for those of us who cant facebook at work!?!? I am dying to hear/see how this show went!!

This is the only relevant quote so far. Not much info yet.

Great show!
Chose old 97's over DBT opening for Petty so to see them play after the Old 97's for almost 3 hours...epic!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

:lol: Thanks I thought it was a picture...

All you Ohioians (is that what they call themselves?) need to get up and get to typing!!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

the Facebook link in question:

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Avon Lady wrote::lol: Thanks I thought it was a picture...

All you Ohioians (is that what they call themselves?) need to get up and get to typing!!

Sorry, there's a picture too. I don't know how to post it without going through FB though.

Edit: Looks like Zip got it to work.

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

Reviews I found so far ;

Ryan Hetrick That show was absolutely amazing. Thanks to band and crew for always taking care of me. Also mad props for showing Cleveland why I love Athens soooooooooooooo much. Great show, great people, great memories! Southen hospitality at it's finest!
Gay Waddle Dolezal Thanks to the DBTs for a wonderful show last night!! The Beachland Tavern was rockin!! You guys played your butts off and it was so hot in there.... thanks again!
Kevin Carlson I concur...a night to remember for sure. There had to be less than 100 people in there.
5 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · Flag

B-rad G

Post by B-rad G »

The Avon Lady wrote:All you Ohioians (is that what they call themselves?) need to get up and get to typing!!

That's what we call ourselves. Unfortunately, this is the only thing I'll be typing since I live on the other side of the state. Sure hated to miss that one :cry:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

B-rad G wrote:
The Avon Lady wrote:All you Ohioians (is that what they call themselves?) need to get up and get to typing!!

That's what we call ourselves. Unfortunately, this is the only thing I'll be typing since I live on the other side of the state. Sure hated to miss that one :cry:

heard it was sold out and it was awesome (from a fellow Ohioan)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beergut

Post by beergut »

Man.........I hope a taper made it to the show.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

There's a dude in the FB thread promising to post details here as soon as his account is activated.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Duke Silver wrote:There's a dude in the FB thread promising to post details here as soon as his account is activated.

no activations pending
Always go to the show

Belk

Post by Belk »

Not even sure where to begin.... Sorry for the delay, but I just rolled out. HOLY SHIT, that was one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my entire life. The day started with packing coolers, lining up the limo for the Tom Petty show and preparing to sit on the lawn 100 yards from stage and instead we ended up 5 feet from Cooley and Patterson rocking out for almost 3 FUCKING HOURS.

Unbelievable! They went on close to 11:30 and finally walked off at 2:15 or so (I think?)... The entire set was filled with older material which was a delight. Opened with Love Like This and played these in some order:

Why Henry Drinks
Women Without Whiskey
Daddy Needs a Drink
Birthday Boy
Feb. 14
Self Destructive Zones
World of Hurt (amazing)
3 Dimes
I Told You So
Ghost to Most
Tornadoes (epic)
Get Downtown
Tales Facing Up
Uncle Frank
Sinkhole
Adam Raised a Cain
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
Buttholeville
Play It All Night Long
Zip City
LTBR

I may have missed one or two, as I did not write down the set list. The entire band seemed to be enjoying themselves and Cooley was on fucking fire. I mean incendiary! The place was packed and it was hot as hell. I ended up seeing the Old 97s show prior to this and I have to say, they were excellent as well. They put on one hell of a show.

An amazing performance on an amazing evening. Thanks to DBT and the Beachland for making this one happen. Truly magical.
Last edited by Belk on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Belk wrote:Opened with Love Like This

Nothing else needs to be said. Thanks for posting your recap.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

That's one hell of a setlist.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Another example of why they are the best band in the world. Most bands would have taken the night off and gotten some much needed rest. DBT cared enough about the fans who were coming out to see them to schedule a surprise show. And instead of a perfunctory one hour set they give the epic rawk show.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:Another example of why they are the best band in the world. Most bands would have taken the night off and gotten some much needed rest. DBT cared enough about the fans who were coming out to see them to schedule a surprise show. And instead of a perfunctory one hour set they give the epic rawk show.

YEP. Just ANOTHER reason.... :)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I posted about this on the Tom Petty board and got some good responses:

"Now that was really BIG of them! Just can't help but LOVE it when the music is passed around.... Cool"

"this is just so awesome"

"thanks Zip City - makes me like the Drive By Truckers that much more!"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"By the time Cooley dove into the opening riff of "Marry Me," more than two hours in, I pretty much wanted to hook up with every single one of them."

Say what??!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

rlipps wrote:From the Beachland Ballroom blog:

http://beachlandballroom.wordpress.com/ ... -truckers/

Great excerpt:
It’s the truth. That show in 2002 has been Beachland legend for some time. Cooley actually did a Pete Townshend on us and smashed his guitar into the stage leaving a pretty good size hole and almost took out a patron when the guitar bounced off the back wall near the bathrooms. We patched the hole in the stage but it was a hasty patch and so there was a lump for probably a year where the lead singers had to stand….so everyone heard the story….that show though for the Southern Rock Opera disc, with only about 15 of us in the tavern, was the Truckers revved on adrenaline, being determined road dogs. It was an amazing show and Cooley just melted down after giving it his all.

Last night, the Truckers once again gave it their all. With sweat dripping from his nose, Cooley ripped it up and Patterson belted out song after song to a grateful 150 fans instead of some 20,000 that would have seen them at Blossom. Supposedly the Petty show is being rescheduled for Aug 31. We’re going to try to go. Thank you Truckers for another legendary Beachland event!
If you don't run you rust

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

You left out the best part:

Here’s what Patterson said in his post last night to announce the show: Y’ALL: The last time we played the Tavern Room at The Beachland Ballroom, Cooley tried to punch me out, smashed a guitar and threw the remains of it at Brad then proceeded to tear down the stage. (Feb. 2002).
They had to rebuild the stage the next morning. We had an awkward breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Tonight we return to The Tavern Room to ROCK IT HARD. Our show with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was postponed due to Mike Campbell’s illness (GET WELL SOON!!!) We have been bummed and sad and needed to ROCK. Our good friends at The Beachland invited us to come see our friends The Old 97′s play and we asked if we could maybe give that small stage one more try.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

There's a post 2002 recording at Beachland where Cooley says, "Sorry about the stage." I always wondered why.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Belk

Post by Belk »

Fool No Where wrote:There's a post 2002 recording at Beachland where Cooley says, "Sorry about the stage." I always wondered why.

Last night was more of the same. In the middle of Buttholeville toward the end of the show, Patterson was jamming his guitar through the drop ceiling panels. He busted three or four of them before crashing to the floor to finish the song. There was shit falling from the ceiling and the place was tore up. Pure Rock Star.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

good god i wish i would have been there. looking at the patterson songs alone, i dont think even one new one. holy shit i got goose bumps reading that setlist.
remember its not to late to take a deep breath and throw yourself into with everything you got! or hurl yourelf at the wall. or smash your shit. congrats to everyone that was there. u r blessed. thanks to patterson hood for constantly reminding us that no matter what the current situation your facing, get in the moment, lower your shoulder and quit your bitchin and just make it happen!

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

boyyourself wrote:thanks to patterson hood for constantly reminding us that no matter what the current situation your facing, get in the moment, lower your shoulder and quit your bitchin and just make it happen!

HTFU

yessaidyes

Post by yessaidyes »

So did a taper make it out to capture this for those not lucky enough to have been there in person?? I really hope so. :cry:
A World of Hurt is by far one of my favorites to hear them play live. But seriously I would have been happy just to hear them open with Love like This. So jealous of all those up north, this makes up (at least in some part) for LeBron leaving, right?

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

DAMMIT!

I just found out about this. Oh well...I wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Lucky bastards...

Steve McWeen

Post by Steve McWeen »

First of all, the Old 97's were fantastic! If the night ended after their set, I could have gone home happy! Lucky for us, we were just getting started. As Murray (97's bassist) said at one point during the show, "Tonight is like an Alt-Country orgasm!"

As for the Truckers show, LEGENDARY!!!

Great energy, great crowd, great venue. Gotta give lots of thanks to DBT and the Beachland Ballroom and Tavern for putting all this together last minute!!!

Belk pretty much summed everything up with his recap, Cooley was in the fucking zone and Patterson seemed to be having a blast. They pretty much blew the fuckin doors off the place, never seen them rock harder!

The setlist looks about right, except they also threw in an absolutely scorching version of "People Who Died" near the end of the set.
Last edited by Steve McWeen on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Steve McWeen wrote:They pretty much blew the fuckin doors off the place, never seen them rock harder!

so much for that alt-country theory.