Oh La La as a show closer-The Faces

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Oh La La as a show closer-The Faces

Post by Beaverdam »

I saw the song listed on some recent set lists, and it didn't ring a bell, so I did some exploring. I recognized the chorus immediately after looking at the lyrics. I have to admit I know Rod Stewart, but I didn't really know many Faces tunes. I'm in my mid-30's, and talked to a friend who is a couple of decades older that I and a DBT fan, who knew the song immediately.

I'd be curious to hear this at the end of the show. I'm neither calling for the return of Jason, nor Shonna, but I do think this song would work great with different members singling different verses akin to DBT's cover of "Like A Rolling Stone"! Maybe Brad Morgan would sing a verse from behind the drums?!?!?

heartbreaker1976

Re: Oh La La as a show closer-The Faces

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

My friend that went with me to the Iowa City show said that since he got to go to see DBT he had to take his wife to see Rod Stewart next month. So it was pretty hilarious when DBT closed the show with a Rod Stewart song. :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Maybe it's just me, but if you don't hear serious meaning in a whole tour closed with these words, I think you're missing something:

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger

I'm going to say it's acceptance and admit that I'm jealous of anyone at this stage of life who has it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

One of my fave songs ever but actually Rod has nothing to do with it! Was written by Ron Wood and Ronnie Lane and sung by Ron Wood.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gator McKlusky wrote:One of my fave songs ever but actually Rod has nothing to do with it! Was written by Ron Wood and Ronnie Lane and sung by Ron Wood.
Yep, depending on who's account you read Rod either didn't feel the song was good enough for him or, the way he tells it now, he didn't feel he could do the song justice. He acutally covered it eventually in 1998. The weasel! It was recorded it with Ronnie Lane singing lead and Ron Wood on harmonies and then vice versa which is the version that was released on the record. Lane recorded it on his own after the Faces and performed it until he stopped performing due to his illness and Wood performs it pretty much every solo show he ever plays. One of my favorites ever, song and record, this one was Ronnie Lane's baby and he was amazing. Here's a pretty good piece on the making of the record and the difficulties therein.

This isn't the first time DBT has covered a song off this album, they played Glad & Sorry at least once in the Jason era. It might have been more but with the demise of onefothesedays.org I don't know where to look, I tried http://www.26miledrive.com but I don't think there's a search feature.

Oh and don't think of the Faces as some sort of Rod Stewart side project either, IMHO one of the greatest Rock bands of all time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Beaverdam wrote:I saw the song listed on some recent set lists, and it didn't ring a bell, so I did some exploring. I recognized the chorus immediately after looking at the lyrics. I have to admit I know Rod Stewart, but I didn't really know many Faces tunes.
The Faces are simply one of the greatest rock bands in the history of the world! Every album they recorded was a homeroom especially "A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse", an incredible live band (check out the BBC live concerts on audio and video or any live bootlegs), and they simply oozed cool. Way, way underrated when it comes to all-time great bands.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Sub

Post by Sub »

If anyone else gets curious here's what I dug up after hearing about this cover and not already seeing it here...

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Well that was badass....def on my list of songs I ant to see live....love the Cooley banjo meandering around and Jay's honkytonk keys being featured....and Paterson bringing the swagger...to Good! Thanks for sharing that one!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

This show closer was terrific. I hope it gets added to the rawk show rotation. Bennie and the Jets was a lot of fun, too. With all due respect to Patterson, I'd love to hear these 2 songs with Jay on lead vocals. I think these would be right in his wheel house.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

Anyone able to grab video of any of the "Oh La La's"? I sure would like to see... Thanks.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Beaverdam wrote:I saw the song listed on some recent set lists, and it didn't ring a bell, so I did some exploring. I recognized the chorus immediately after looking at the lyrics. I have to admit I know Rod Stewart, but I didn't really know many Faces tunes. I'm in my mid-30's, and talked to a friend who is a couple of decades older that I and a DBT fan, who knew the song immediately.

I'd be curious to hear this at the end of the show. I'm neither calling for the return of Jason, nor Shonna, but I do think this song would work great with different members singling different verses akin to DBT's cover of "Like A Rolling Stone"! Maybe Brad Morgan would sing a verse from behind the drums?!?!?
I am about the same age as you. Got into The Faces about 10 years ago. I would recommend you doing the same. One of the best rock bands of all time.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

If one was just getting into the Faces, I'd strongly recommend getting Ronnie Wood's solo album "I've Got my Own Album to do". It's awesome and has an amazing cast of musicians who lent a hand in making it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Gaetzi wrote:If one was just getting into the Faces, I'd strongly recommend getting Ronnie Wood's solo album "I've Got my Own Album to do". It's awesome and has an amazing cast of musicians who lent a hand in making it.
One of my all time favorites. Son Volt fans will get a kick out of the original of Mystifies Me especially how faithful the cover is.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved