Dec 3: Patterson Hood, the Indigo Girls, and overpriced food

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Dec 3: Patterson Hood, the Indigo Girls, and overpriced food

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Dec 3: Patterson Hood, the Indigo Girls, and overpriced

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Welcome to Little Rock!
I actually think we're going to this. We had a reservation at the restaurant the ice storm year of Holiday Hangout but canceled due to the weather. The restaurant made a top ten in the country list a couple of years ago in Bon Apetit I think. Do you have reason to believe it's not good?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Welcome to Little Rock!
I actually think we're going to this. We had a reservation at the restaurant the ice storm year of Holiday Hangout but canceled due to the weather. The restaurant made a top ten in the country list a couple of years ago in Bon Apetit I think. Do you have reason to believe it's not good?
Just the opposite! The entree I got both evenings I went there for music was delicious and sixteen dollars. There was nothing else on the menu that sounded good, but this was wonderful. It was also the cheapest entree on the menu. That's not why I got it--it was also the only one that looked tasty--but that figured in, too.

Possibly I'm a reverse food snob who looks down on fancy foofy foodie meals. And possibly I'm just cheap. Given the prices in fancier restaurants in bigger cities, this is probably a pretty good deal. I'll probably go myself, and getting a good table will probably require ordering dinner. And then I'll spend sixteen bucks and grumble.

Or maybe not. We'll see how it goes.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ha! Fair enough we're admitted foodies and compared to some the menu looked quite reasonable to be honest. Odd to be thinking of a December show in May.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I sure wish Patterson had been playing a few weeks ago when Tracy dragged me to an Indigo Girls show lol. Full disclosure: The Indigo Girls weren't that bad.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Sold out, near as I can tell. Oh, well. Worse things will happen to me than missing this show.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Sold out, near as I can tell. Oh, well. Worse things will happen to me than missing this show.
Sold out in 6 minutes. Tried for VIP tickets but got GA.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Thanks for pulling my ass out of the fire on this one TC! I had my plane ticket bought for this weekend two or three weeks ago, but slept right through show tickets :? Good to have friend who pay attention.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Once went ti an Indigo Girls show in Milwaukee, went to piss during intermission, and the line of women was out and around the corner from both the men's and women's. The girls waved me in and saying there were three urinals free but only two sit downs. I don't believe I ever peed in front of so many women at one time, and I must have really needed to go too, 'cause I remember being proud that I didn't have any stage fright :lol:
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

GW in IA wrote:Thanks for pulling my ass out of the fire on this one TC! I had my plane ticket bought for this weekend two or three weeks ago, but slept right through show tickets :? Good to have friend who pay attention.
Well shit. So much for my GA plans. I'll be hoping for a minor miracle.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Bummer, but I'm not even certain I can make it to the Hangout, so....
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:Bummer, but I'm not even certain I can make it to the Hangout, so....
I didn't realize the news was going to get worse.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

one belt loop wrote:Bummer, but I'm not even certain I can make it to the Hangout, so....
I'm sorry but if there's a choice to be made and it's between Hangout and Homecoming I feel your presence is required in Athens. ;) Now we'll be at both abd if we could see you in both places that would be bonus. We love us some OBL time.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

brett27295 wrote:Full disclosure: The Indigo Girls weren't that bad.
Never have had a problem with Indigo Girls. In fact, I've been a fan since I first heard "Closer To Fine". Amy Ray also has a rock band that's well worth checking out as well as this excellent record she released last year that's more of a country outing. Fans of Mount Moriah might be interested to know that Heather McEntire puts in a guest appearance on the album. Not a huge stretch as Mount Moriah has toured with Indigo Girls on a few occasions over the past several years.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^ I listened to that album quite a bit after seeing it pop up on various "best of year" lists. Not bad at all.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

By the way, if anyone has to cancel coming to this show, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind for a ticket.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:By the way, if anyone has to cancel coming to this show, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind for a ticket.
What he said.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:By the way, if anyone has to cancel coming to this show, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind for a ticket.
What he said.
Flip you for it!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
What he said.
Flip you for it!
We'll just manifest two.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Flip you for it!
We'll just manifest two.
Ideal! UPDATE: In fact, that's a manifestly good idea!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

one belt loop wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Flip you for it!
We'll just manifest two.
Why stop at two?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

LBRod wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
We'll just manifest two.
Why stop at two?
Why indeed?

John A Arkansawyer

I know it's a long shot, but I've put up a note on the Facebook event for this show to see if we can work out a seat-sharing arrangement with any Indigo Girls fans who might be willing to let us defray the costs of their tickets. We'll see how it goes.

John A Arkansawyer

I knew this had to be happening!

Over the course of ten albums with the Drive-By Truckers, the band he co-founded, and three acclaimed solo records, songwriter Patterson Hood has developed a style that blends a heart-rending observation of Southern culture with a healthy respect for the power of myth in ways that have placed him firmly in the company of great American storytellers like Twain and Welty.

"As a songwriter, I've spent the better part of my career trying to capture both the Southern storytelling tradition and the details the tall tales left out, putting this dialectical narrative into the context of rock songs," Hood says of a career that has seen him turn his hand to prose with success as well. Last July, Hood's op-ed piece, "The South's Heritage Is So Much More Than Just A Flag," appeared in the New York Times Magazine, shortly after Hood published the lyrics to a new song inspired by the events in Ferguson, Missouri.

Join us on Friday, December 4, as Patterson Hood tells stories and sings songs about living in (and leaving) the South and his life in rock and roll and the Drive-By Truckers in our next installment of the Frank and Kula Kumpuris Distinguished Lecture Series, in partnership with the Clinton School of Public Service and AT&T.

When: Friday, December 4, 2015, doors open at 6:00 p.m.
Where: Clinton Presidential Center Great Hall

*Reserve your seats by emailing publicprograms@clintonschool.uasys.edu or calling (501) 683-5239.
I've asked for three tickets, so I can cover OBL and Rod, who are on a whole other time zone. The rest of you are on your own!