Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:Can we talk about the box set Patterson confirmed? When the live recordings were first announced I posted that I hoped they'd do a limited edition box of all 3 nights to go with the standard release. Hopefully that's what we're getting! I guess it could be some sort of rarities/unreleased box, but I doubt it. Hopefully it's not just a box set collecting all their studio albums, that would be a huge disappointment.
FWIW, I read Pattersnon's comment as "in addition to a traditional-type live album there will be a box set for you fanatics and completists which will include a lot more from the live shows we recorded."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote: FWIW, I read Pattersnon's comment as "in addition to a traditional-type live album there will be a box set for you fanatics and completists which will include a lot more from the live shows we recorded."
Agreed, that's almost certainly what it will be. They can take my $ right now.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

In related news, EZB realizes that Miracle Whip is crap and swears allegiance to Hellman's. FaceBook implodes, details at 11.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:In related news, EZB realizes that Miracle Whip is crap and swears allegiance to Hellman's. FaceBook implodes, details at 11.
Next time we move I expect similar interest from the people. I'll say this now though, while I do like catfish I'm not terribly fond of tofu so that will give you a head start as to guessing where we might end up. I am sorry though I don't wear hats as a general rule so there will be no clues there.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beebs wrote:In related news, EZB realizes that Miracle Whip is crap and swears allegiance to Dukes. FaceBook implodes, details at 11.
Fixed it for ya.
Now it's dark.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
brett27295 wrote:Can we talk about the box set Patterson confirmed? When the live recordings were first announced I posted that I hoped they'd do a limited edition box of all 3 nights to go with the standard release. Hopefully that's what we're getting! I guess it could be some sort of rarities/unreleased box, but I doubt it. Hopefully it's not just a box set collecting all their studio albums, that would be a huge disappointment.
FWIW, I read Pattersnon's comment as "in addition to a traditional-type live album there will be a box set for you fanatics and completists which will include a lot more from the live shows we recorded."

Start saving your nickels
Always go to the show

phungi

Post by phungi »

Beebs wrote:Next album is gonna be about urban fixed gear bicycle commuting and fair trade artisanal chia seed smoothies.
walthers wrote:I am patiently waiting for a hipster Patterson pic to show up in the Photoshop thread.......
Creative liberty taken...

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/vie ... 47#p275847
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Flea wrote:
Beebs wrote:In related news, EZB realizes that Miracle Whip is crap and swears allegiance to Dukes. FaceBook implodes, details at 11.
Fixed it for ya.
Yes! I was converted to Dukes last year while visiting Josh and Janette. How did I live all this time and not know about Dukes? :?

bogart

Post by bogart »

Coach and I went to Eugene for a week and LOVED it. I would move there in a New York minute! Didn't get to Portland, we had a few wineries to visit. ;)
The weather is great, too.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I wonder how RevMatt is taking this.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:I wonder how RevMatt is taking this.
Oh man ha ha ha
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Beebs wrote:In related news, EZB realizes that Miracle Whip is crap and swears allegiance to Hellman's. FaceBook implodes, details at 11.
tuna fish is WAY fuckin' better with miracle whip

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Wolf wrote:
tuna fish is WAY fuckin' better with miracle whip

Wolf, you commie bastard.
Beebs is not a ragey man

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

:lol:

Seattle Heathen

Post by Seattle Heathen »

I'm thrilled for PH and family. Portland is really nice town. Though I live in Seattle now, I've lived in PDX in the past and my first son was born there. Don't believe the Portlandia caricatures any more than y'all down south believe the Dukes of Hazzard is an accurate portrayal of southern folks. Great arts scene and that town supports live music.

Selfishly I hope this means we see more DBT shows and PH solo gigs up here in the future. It's always hard for them to get this way and 1-2 shows per year between Seattle, Portland Vancouver is not enough to satisfy the masses.

Peter Buck moved up here from Athens and stayed. He joined DBT on stage for "World of Hurt" during the Rock N Roll means well package tour with The Hold Steady a few years back so the Hoods have musician friends in the area :-)

Seattle Heathen

John Cash's Suitcase

Post by John Cash's Suitcase »

Best wishes to him, but I could never live anywhere they don't let you pump your own gas.
25 cents shy

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:"Guy who's not from Georgia is betraying Georgia by leaving Georgia!"
Did somebody say that?
I was mocking the Facebook outrage, not anyone here
Oh I didn't think you were Zip. I just skimmed all the who shot John over on facebook. I didn't realize people were accusing him of betrayal.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I actually thought about this last night when I read the news.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

The worst thing about the Hoods moving to Portland is that Athens will lose them for now. Athens has benefited from having them here, but now it's Portland's turn. Personally, it's very selfishly sad for me, but I can't help but be thrilled and excited for all of them as they move to a new place and start a new adventure. I hope Portland appreciates them and treats them as well if not better than Athens ever did.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

Jenn wrote:The worst thing about the Hoods moving to Portland is that Athens will lose them for now. Athens has benefited from having them here, but now it's Portland's turn. Personally, it's very selfishly sad for me, but I can't help but be thrilled and excited for all of them as they move to a new place and start a new adventure. I hope Portland appreciates them and treats them as well if not better than Athens ever did.
I'd say this is the perfect response to the news!

mhc123

Post by mhc123 »

This is a thread?
Last edited by mhc123 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
So I started this damn country band
Cause punk rock was too hard to sing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

armPitt wrote:
Jenn wrote:The worst thing about the Hoods moving to Portland is that Athens will lose them for now. Athens has benefited from having them here, but now it's Portland's turn. Personally, it's very selfishly sad for me, but I can't help but be thrilled and excited for all of them as they move to a new place and start a new adventure. I hope Portland appreciates them and treats them as well if not better than Athens ever did.
I'd say this is the perfect response to the news!
It's Jenn. What do you expect?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I can see him running for Mayor! I hear the position is open?

(Congrats! How exciting!)

In my blood, there's gasoline..

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

mhc123 wrote:This is a thread?
Clearly you haven't been here long. I seem to recall a thread discussing Cooley's haircut one time...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
Clearly you haven't been here long. I seem to recall a thread discussing Cooley's haircut one time...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man, I had forgotten that one.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

mhc123

Post by mhc123 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man, I had forgotten that one.
Actually been around since 9 bullets days and when Zipper was a mod for a day
So I started this damn country band
Cause punk rock was too hard to sing

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

mhc123 wrote: Actually been around since 9 bullets days and when Zipper was a mod for a day
Then you should know that a thread about Patterson's announcement would go over like free beer around here lol

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

brett27295 wrote:Can we talk about the box set Patterson confirmed?
Yeah, seriously, this is the only part of this update that concerns me whatsoever. SO PSYCHED FOR A BOX SET!!

Good luck in Portland, Patterson. Cool city, and beautiful scenery just outside it. As The Lizard King said, "the west is the best." I'd be there if I could.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

My dad was military and from the time I was born until I was in Jr High we moved every 3 to 4 years.
In the fall of 65 we moved from NAS Memphis to Whidby Is. I was in 2nd grade and nobody up there knew what
I was saying. Kids will be kids and I got teased alot. Luckily for me I come from a family of teasers but the adults
were the worst. Then I got sent to speech class. During that time my dad's squadron deployed to Viet Nam for
6 months. It was hard on my mom, there were 4 of us kids, so when he went back to Nam in the fall of 66, she
packed us up and moved us to LA (lower Alabama for those of you that don't know southern terminology) where
her family lived. They didn't understand what I was saying either and I got to do 2nd grade and go to speech
class again. Making friends was always a challenge and luckily for me there was a lone black kid in the class
with no friends and we became friends. It worked out great for him too as I had his back on the playground and
my cousin from another class had my back. The male members of my family in LA were all about fighting and
they trained me well. The playground was ours. Also my southern relatives didn't tease me about the way I talk
as much as my dad's relatives from Mich did. I still don't talk right!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Swamp wrote:My dad was military and from the time I was born until I was in Jr High we moved every 3 to 4 years.
In the fall of 65 we moved from NAS Memphis to Whidby Is. I was in 2nd grade and nobody up there knew what
I was saying. Kids will be kids and I got teased alot. Luckily for me I come from a family of teasers but the adults
were the worst. Then I got sent to speech class. During that time my dad's squadron deployed to Viet Nam for
6 months. It was hard on my mom, there were 4 of us kids, so when he went back to Nam in the fall of 66, she
packed us up and moved us to LA (lower Alabama for those of you that don't know southern terminology) where
her family lived. They didn't understand what I was saying either and I got to do 2nd grade and go to speech
class again. Making friends was always a challenge and luckily for me there was a lone black kid in the class
with no friends and we became friends. It worked out great for him too as I had his back on the playground and
my cousin from another class had my back. The male members of my family in LA were all about fighting and
they trained me well. The playground was ours. Also my southern relatives didn't tease me about the way I talk
as much as my dad's relatives from Mich did. I still don't talk right!
Lol. Been there Swamp. The ration of crap that I got for my accent for about the first year that I was in the Corps astounded me. I couldn't believe what a big deal people made of it. Some of it was good natured and that was fine of course but some people actually seemed to take offense to it. That both amused me and puzzled me to no end. I got the usual stuff from these people. Questions about my intellect and assumptions that I was a racist. The best part about that was, while I was at infantry school in North Carolina, which took place right after boot camp, when everybody was new and around people much different from them for the first time, I was befriended by a group of black guys from New York. So the Georgia redneck who caught crap about his accent was buddied up with a group of black guys from New York who spoke with a Brooklyn accents. It was fun watching some of the jerks try and get their minds around it and figure out what we were all saying. Then I would come home on leave and my buddies would accuse me of talking like a Yankee. Which was a complete joke. But they sure thought I did. Like you said, I didn't talk right no matter where I was.

People can be stupid and act like jerks. I hope Portland is good to Patterson and his family.