Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Dean wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:
Dean wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but think this will have some impact on the touring schedule
I don't see why it would. Widespread Panic is also based in Athens and Dave Schools lives in California.
bad example. And Schools was a newlywed then with no kids

http://www.connectsavannah.com/savannah ... id=2135669
Right now they're 5 guys in 4 different cities. This will make them 5 guys in 5 different cities. I don't think you'll notice a thing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Am I the only one who finds this a bit surreal?
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sactochris wrote:Am I the only one who finds this a bit surreal?
The reaction you mean? Nope, you are not.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pa_heathen wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:My wife predicted all this nonsense this morning. I doubted her. I have to stop that.
I don't know why you would have gone and done that.
I know, right? I will learn from my mistake. :D

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

On a scale from "Holy Shit!" to "Who Gives a Shit?", I give this news half a shrug and a stifled yawn.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My first inclination was to overreact a little bit in terms of the end is near, but I've calmed down considerably. My guess is it will be good for PH to get out of his comfort zone. Maybe work on a book or write some poetry or get into filmmaking. Play with some new musicians and steal, er, incorporate some new ideas. And doesn't Peter Buck live out there still? Anyway, long live DBT.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Any reason to obsess about the Truckers is good with me.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Sub

Post by Sub »

Wow didn't see that coming.

Guess he really does love portland. Lol

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Dean wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:
Dean wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but think this will have some impact on the touring schedule
I don't see why it would. Widespread Panic is also based in Athens and Dave Schools lives in California.
bad example. And Schools was a newlywed then with no kids

http://www.connectsavannah.com/savannah ... id=2135669
Why is it a bad example? Panic didn't take 2012 off from touring btw - it was just a lighter year for them than usual.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bill in CT wrote:Someone in a DBT Facebook group is whining about this move as if Patterson is somehow betraying Georgia by moving to Portland. Unreal.
I'll just say it: that place can be a real cesspool compared to here. Unreal is right.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This is beyond believable (the reaction, not the move).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Why is it a bad example? Panic didn't take 2012 off from touring btw - it was just a lighter year for them than usual

"Schools was a newlywed with no kids"

and it was a lighter year.

my original statement

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but think this will have some impact on the touring schedule

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

God bless Patterson. I'm not (somewhat) famous but I'd be real creeped out if people on the internet got all worked up over my personal life. The man is too cool for even offering up a response.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kevidently wrote:I honestly didn't expect the violent "you're ruining my life" reaction. It was so weird. But YAY all this new stuff!
Dude you're a huge Stephen King fan....certainly you know there's a certain segment of DBT fans who are very "Annie Wilkes"-like :lol:
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I can't believe some people. I love Athens, Georgia. One of my top 5 favorite cities in the United States. But why the not the Pacific Northwest? I have family in Corvallis. Never too hot, never too cold. That sounds great to me.
And besides, its a guy's life and family. Nothing above that matters. Not bands. Especially not people's opinions who talk on message boards.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

PH has spent his entire life in the south (Florence, Memphis, and Athens I do believe). I totally understand the pull to experience something new and fresh and I am sure most people on this board do as well.
Levon Helm didn't live in Arkansas the last 45-50 years of his life, but he was an outspoken, proud Arkansan.

Swamp

and now for something completely different

Post by Swamp »

Had to chuckle when I saw this. A month or so ago NPR did a story on Portland. They talked a little about the show Portlandia. They talked a lot about the number
of people moving to Portland. The thing that really jump out at me was when they said young white "intellectuals" are moving there to be around people more like
themselves. Down here in the south when you move to be around people more like yourselves you ain't exactly called an intellectual ;)
My sister moved to Portland about 10 years ago, now she lives in Eugene. So when I told my sister about the story; 1st she tells me NPR are communist. She's a liberal
lawyer/judge, friend of Hillary bla bla bla. Then she tells me that she don't know any intellectuals up there and most the people are as smart as a bag of rocks :lol:
She mostly hangs with Alabama fans.
With all that being said, I think it's a great move for Patterson. I, like "Newman", learned to climb trees in the Pacific Northwest and have always dreamed of
returning to Whidby Is. to retire.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I just saw all this over on facebook a little bit ago.

I'm all for anybody being able to go where they want to go. I hope Portland is good for the Hoods.

This may seem a little silly, especially with all the comments about facebook, but as a Georgian and so,embody who loves Athens I do hate that Patterson won't be living here anymore. Or not for a while or whatever. But it's not like he's dead or the band is breaking up. So best of luck to him.

I thought Brad still lived in Athens for some reason.

Box set?!!

New record soon to be in the works? Woo hoo!

I just hope we keep doing Homecoming in Athens.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Guy who's not from Georgia is betraying Georgia by leaving Georgia!"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:"Guy who's not from Georgia is betraying Georgia by leaving Georgia!"
Did somebody say that?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beergut

Post by beergut »

He got a new day job at the book store.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:"Guy who's not from Georgia is betraying Georgia by leaving Georgia!"
Did somebody say that?
That's pretty much what the entire "discussion" was about.
somebody wrote:The show was phenomenal. Crowd not so much. P. Hood announced his move to Portland. The unrest within the band was beyond obvious. I think of Hood as such a beloved Georgia ambassador...it's kinda hurtful that rather than stay and help to be the change he wants to see, he would bail on us and run off the hipsterville. How can ya be authentic. ..idk maybe it's a Southern Thing
Regardless, thank God it's over.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Did I miss something? I'm not on fb,is that where this came from? Wtf?

somebody wrote:
The show was phenomenal. Crowd not so much. P. Hood announced his move to Portland. The unrest within the band was beyond obvious. I think of Hood as such a beloved Georgia ambassador...it's kinda hurtful that rather than stay and help to be the change he wants to see, he would bail on us and run off the hipsterville. How can ya be authentic. ..idk maybe it's a Southern Thing

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

I lived in Portland for 3 years. I had VERY LITTLE money, but I got by and enjoyed life more so than I EVER DID when I had a big fat bank account prior to the tears of Opium Poppies deflating said account very heavily for 7 years or so. I enjoyed not having to have a car. I did a lot of reading & writing and walking. (I only had to work PT and even then, only sometimes - this was back during my "wilderness years" which honestly speaking? I'm not entirely sure that I ever completely left those years behind). Wrote a lot of songs. Spent plenty of time checking out bands I had never heard of, both local and not - some surprisingly great. I LOVED the weather in comparison to KY/TN/GA/AL - the 4 states I currently spend the most time in (the 3 that I don't reside in due to work).

I think Patterson will enjoy it and I think in a lot of ways it will possibly help him clear out any potential excess "clutter" he may have going on inside. However, just as in my case, I DO think that he will grow tired of it after a certain amount of time and return to the south. While the south certainly has many flaws, when it's your "home" - well, there's no place like home. It always did seem to beckon me back after a certain span of time.

I don't know Patterson's reasons for the move, though I can make a fairly educated assumption. Currently, I, myself feel an ever increasing desire to move away from here for a while. I have a GREAT job that pays me quite well (that I'm fairly certain I would lose, as the company doesn't go too far west, but due to all of the specialized schooling/engineer schooling/training they have invested in me? It's possible they would hire me back down the line? Would be a gamble, for sure - but I'm also now single, still have no children, no mortgage and everything is paid for. Closing in on 40, & honestly speaking, one mid-sized suitcase and I could be packed and on my way - about 75% of my shit is in storage in my parents basement). I don't know whether those facts are pathetic or wonderful and "freeing". Oh - maybe best of all? I'm no longer a prisoner in constant fear of dopesickness on a daily basis anymore (if you don't know dopesick, you don't WANT to know dopesick - I think I would [literally] rather die than to go through that hellish experience again).

Oh, concerning how horrible H (or ANY form of an addiction that comes from the Poppy flowers tears) are, just another little personal aside here...I was given the option to join a well-known musician's band and go on tour a little over 5 years ago as he was a big fan of the "chicken picken" style that I was capable of pulling off - but, in the end, I had to turn down what was otherwise a GREAT opportunity that could have led to some great things for me, all due the fact that I was essentially a prisoner, & there was no way I could risk going on the road and ending up unable to score in any given town on one of the stops and ending up "sick" :cry: ).

But, back on topic, I'm getting that "anxious spirit" again lately. While I do sometimes miss Portland, I think I would rather try something different. Westbound, for certain...just not quite sure where (I have Frank Black's brilliant "End Of Miles" going through my head right now). A cousin of mine is moving to Phoenix in June per a job promotion that landed her there, so, maybe? Or, maybe I'll just stick around & see if these feelings move along relatively soon and try to remember that, "for this too, shall pass"...

I wish the Patterson's well per their move. I hope that they enjoy their time there as much as I did mine. Sorry to Athens for (at least temporarily) losing one hell of a wonderful resident.

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

walthers wrote:Did I miss something? I'm not on fb,is that where this came from? Wtf?

somebody wrote:
The show was phenomenal. Crowd not so much. P. Hood announced his move to Portland. The unrest within the band was beyond obvious. I think of Hood as such a beloved Georgia ambassador...it's kinda hurtful that rather than stay and help to be the change he wants to see, he would bail on us and run off the hipsterville. How can ya be authentic. ..idk maybe it's a Southern Thing
It was on a Drive By Truckers FB group.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

One never knows what one might find on 3dd. Congrats on getting your life back, JJ.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

This is great news for me. Having Patterson closer might mean more LA gigs, solo or otherwise. Go west young man.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

That's exactly what I meant! It just struck me as being strange. It was like some kind of TMZ Kardashian type shit.
Keep calm and have a cigar

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Can we talk about the box set Patterson confirmed? When the live recordings were first announced I posted that I hoped they'd do a limited edition box of all 3 nights to go with the standard release. Hopefully that's what we're getting! I guess it could be some sort of rarities/unreleased box, but I doubt it. Hopefully it's not just a box set collecting all their studio albums, that would be a huge disappointment.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Did somebody say that?
I was mocking the Facebook outrage, not anyone here
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever