Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

JJAllin

Re: Patterson and family moving from Athens to Portland

Post by JJAllin »

I lived up (and not for LONG either, mind you) Boston for a time and I couldn't BELIEVE how quickly I started talking in New England dialect. All of a sudden, it wasn't "garbage can", it was "gahbage can"...it wasn't car...it was "cah"..., it wasn't "years", it was "Yee-uz" and so on and so forth. To this day, I still catch myself talking like that.

JJAllin

Post by JJAllin »

beantownbubba wrote:One never knows what one might find on 3dd. Congrats on getting your life back, JJ.
Thanks for that btbubba. I appreciate it.

Of the drugs I have used/am familiar with (cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine, alcohol, opiates, benzos), AND meth...albeit NOT from personal use, just from being around those that did), heroin/opiates are truly THE hardest to break free from. If the other drugs put a monkey on your back? Heroin/opiates put a 5000lb. gorilla that's always trying to beat you half to death on it. Benzo's/Alcohol are the deadlier ones to withdrawal from, but they are easier once you do walk away to stay away from. Coke is the same way. When you do coke, often times you wanna do more coke. But once you step away from it for a while, it's often times not such a massive deal to not go back. Marijuana, I was never a big fan of, personally. Even cigarettes....I used to smoke (and honestly speaking? I LOVED smoking...WHY? I don't know but I sure did like to, but it got so expensive and I just always felt so unhealthy that it came time to choose to walk away at a certain point)...and I've heard people equate stopping smoking to heroin. Bullshit. You walk away from 'em for a few months and it's not that damn hard at all to stick with staying away from those damn things. Heroin/opiates, OTOH, shit, 3 months is usually not even long enough to be out of the acute withdrawal stage yet. Which means you haven't even BEGAN the "paws" stage yet ("post acute withdrawal syndrome" - the "mental" stage). To this day, I still can't sleep worth a damn, I still dream about it (2 nights ago, I dreamed that I found a massive patch of poppy pods growing wild and the opium was already bursting forth from the seed pods - I have those dreams at least once a week, sometimes more). I think about it every single day still. I want it every day. But I don't have that grueling a withdrawal left in me for a second round. If I ever DO screw up royally and go back? I'll be a lifer in one way or another (meaning, at the very best, I'll end up on Suboxone treatment vs. enduring that HORRIBLE HORRIBLE withdrawal again. Going through that was like being in hell for almost 4 months - and then the mental misery afterwards that clung on and on for well over a year was almost all a human being can endure). And as I said. Even today, some of the beat still goes on. I doubt it will ever go away completely or permanently.

I hope that no one here EVER EVER fucks up like I did and ultimately has to go through and endure that misery. Because once you open the door? You can't shut it back completely, ever. You'll be a "lifer" in one sense or the other, unless you overdose and die from the shit and/or some shady piece of scum sells you a hot shot.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John Cash's Suitcase wrote:Best wishes to him, but I could never live anywhere they don't let you pump your own gas.
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/201 ... /26675665/
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger wrote:
Swamp wrote:My dad was military and from the time I was born until I was in Jr High we moved every 3 to 4 years.
In the fall of 65 we moved from NAS Memphis to Whidby Is. I was in 2nd grade and nobody up there knew what
I was saying. Kids will be kids and I got teased alot. Luckily for me I come from a family of teasers but the adults
were the worst. Then I got sent to speech class. During that time my dad's squadron deployed to Viet Nam for
6 months. It was hard on my mom, there were 4 of us kids, so when he went back to Nam in the fall of 66, she
packed us up and moved us to LA (lower Alabama for those of you that don't know southern terminology) where
her family lived. They didn't understand what I was saying either and I got to do 2nd grade and go to speech
class again. Making friends was always a challenge and luckily for me there was a lone black kid in the class
with no friends and we became friends. It worked out great for him too as I had his back on the playground and
my cousin from another class had my back. The male members of my family in LA were all about fighting and
they trained me well. The playground was ours. Also my southern relatives didn't tease me about the way I talk
as much as my dad's relatives from Mich did. I still don't talk right!
Lol. Been there Swamp. The ration of crap that I got for my accent for about the first year that I was in the Corps astounded me. I couldn't believe what a big deal people made of it. Some of it was good natured and that was fine of course but some people actually seemed to take offense to it. That both amused me and puzzled me to no end. I got the usual stuff from these people. Questions about my intellect and assumptions that I was a racist. The best part about that was, while I was at infantry school in North Carolina, which took place right after boot camp, when everybody was new and around people much different from them for the first time, I was befriended by a group of black guys from New York. So the Georgia redneck who caught crap about his accent was buddied up with a group of black guys from New York who spoke with a Brooklyn accents. It was fun watching some of the jerks try and get their minds around it and figure out what we were all saying. Then I would come home on leave and my buddies would accuse me of talking like a Yankee. Which was a complete joke. But they sure thought I did. Like you said, I didn't talk right no matter where I was.

People can be stupid and act like jerks. I hope Portland is good to Patterson and his family.
At least you were an adult. Kids will be kids but adults shouldn't pull that crap on kids.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

John Cash's Suitcase wrote:Best wishes to him, but I could never live anywhere they don't let you pump your own gas.
New Jersey?

TDB

Post by TDB »

It's shit like this that keeps me away from this forum.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

TDB wrote:It's shit like this that keeps me away from this forum.
Oh do tell

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Ummm nothing out of the way happened on this forum, it was the FB group. I don't know how we'll survive without ya.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

It's shit like this that keeps me away.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

JJAllin wrote: I hope that no one here EVER EVER fucks up like I did and ultimately has to go through and endure that misery. Because once you open the door? You can't shut it back completely, ever.
I'm gonna echo beantown:

Congrats on getting your life back.
Last edited by schlanky on Sun May 03, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Ummm nothing out of the way happened on this forum, it was the FB group. I don't know how we'll survive without ya.
We're getting off light. He didn't threaten to shoot anybody.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Smitty wrote:

Talking about what people are saying in the FB group is just as lame.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

TDB wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Talking about what people are saying in the FB group is just as lame.
No, what the people in the Facebook group are saying is lame

TDB

Post by TDB »

Talking about what people are saying in the FB group is just as lame.[/quote]

No, what the people in the Facebook group are saying is lame[/quote]

Ohhhhh.....I can TOTALLY see the difference!
I stand corrected.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So I take it you agree with the Facebook folks then

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

TDB wrote: Talking about what people are saying in the FB group is just as lame.
True, but it was definitely more appealing than hearing you bitch about it after the fact. The funny thing is this thread was over and done with until you chimed in. I thought you were supposed to be keeping away?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
TDB wrote: Talking about what people are saying in the FB group is just as lame.
True, but it was definitely more appealing than hearing you bitch about it after the fact. The funny thing is this thread was over and done with until you chimed in. I thought you were supposed to be keeping away?
:lol: :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

TDB

Post by TDB »

True, but it was definitely more appealing than hearing you bitch about it after the fact. The funny thing is this thread was over and done with until you chimed in. I thought you were supposed to be keeping away?[/quote]

Generally, I do. I didn't read the FB posts bc I'm not a member of the group.
I only come on here to check the setlists and see if they played anything good.
Sorry I commented at all.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

They play bad stuff?
Always go to the show

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

TDB wrote:
As opposed to playing things that suck?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

TDB

Post by TDB »

brett27295 wrote:
TDB wrote:
As opposed to playing things that suck?
As opposed to playing songs I don't hear often.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Good luck to the Hood family on their new adventure.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

TDB wrote:Good luck to the Hood family on their new adventure.
Agreed!! thanks for posting TDB

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:
This might be the best thing ever. Makes me want to move to Portland. A dude balancing on a ball with a flame thrower while playing bagpipes? What's not to like? :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beebs wrote:
This might be the best thing ever. Makes me want to move to Portland. A dude balancing on a ball with a flame thrower while playing bagpipes? What's not to like? :D
I'm assuming he had to practice to be able to do that. For some reason I am just flabbergasted by that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

"So what are you doing tonight? Want to grab a bite?"

"Oh shoot, I'm sorry I can't. I have to practice my bagpipe playing flamethrower thing tonight. Raincheck?"

" :o "

Yeah, awesome.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Beebs wrote:
Well it seems Patterson really will be right at home up there. The only difference is that in the South before somebody does something like balance on a ball with a flamethrower while playing an instrument he tells one of his buddies, "hold my beer and watch this."
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Beebs wrote:
Well it seems Patterson really will be right at home up there. The only difference is that in the South before somebody does something like balance on a ball with a flamethrower while playing an instrument he tells one of his buddies, "hold my beer and watch this."
Substitute "latte w/ a shot of expresso made w/ fair trade beans" for "beer" and we're home.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Beebs wrote:
Substitute "latte w/ a shot of expresso made w/ fair trade beans" for "beer" and we're home.
:mrgreen: That's a good one Bubba.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life