Iowa City 5/2/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Iowa City 5/2/15

Post by CooleyGirl »

Figured it was time to start a thread for this show. Hope to see some of you there!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Iowan

Re: Iowa City 5/2/15

Post by Iowan »

I probably won't know if we can make it until sometime Friday.

Recommendations (PeterJ will probably be of more assistance) for pre-game include Short's Burger & Shine (about 3 blocks west of the Englert), where literally everything comes from Iowa (great place to try some local beers) and/or The Deadwood bar (excellent Bloody Marys).

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

Looking forward to it! The wife and I along with my two sons and their wife and girlfriend. First Dirt concert so should be a great show.....and the last one of the leg. First things first...James McMurtry tonight. Great week of music. :D

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Iowan wrote:I probably won't know if we can make it until sometime Friday.

Recommendations (PeterJ will probably be of more assistance) for pre-game include Short's Burger & Shine (about 3 blocks west of the Englert), where literally everything comes from Iowa (great place to try some local beers) and/or The Deadwood bar (excellent Bloody Marys).
The wife and I will be there, but not sure about any pre-gaming, long two weeks for her at work wraps up Friday evening, and we are driving back after the show.

Moved away from Iowa City to Dubuque, so I am a little out of the game for whats still around. (moving back in July though :D ) Shorts is great, even their black bean veggie burgers are delicious. I am a big fan of Quinton's as well. Great sandwich selections. Lots of good beer too. The atlas has good food as well, and they used to have quite the martini list, if thats your thing. Masala is good indian food, and Takanami is supposed to be really good. You are never hurting for good food in IC. Same goes for drinking establishments. I usually just order a beer wherever I go, so most places work for me.

Really excited to see a show, been almost a year and a half since my last DBT show. I am jonesin' a bit for this one.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I have an extra ticket for sale. It's in the center part of the balcony…think it's in the first row or two.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Leaving Michigan bright and early tomorrow morning, headed straight for the pre-game spot, wherever it may be.

MrsUncleFrank23

Post by MrsUncleFrank23 »

Looking forward to seeing the last show on this tour. Was lucky enough to to see both the Columbia and Kansas City shows and decided that the boys needed to see this one. Hope to see you there.
Ben is looking down with a smile!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Officially out. You guys do it up right. Tall Corn style.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:Officially out. You guys do it up right. Tall Corn style.
So sorry to have brought the beautiful weather.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

MrsUncleFrank23 wrote:Looking forward to seeing the last show on this tour. Was lucky enough to to see both the Columbia and Kansas City shows and decided that the boys needed to see this one. Hope to see you there.
The daughter is talking about making this one with me. We'll see if that intention sticks.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

So here we are in Iowa City, having escaped the Bloomington, Illinois airport. We'll see you folks there.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Grand Canyon
Space City
Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent
Self-Destructive Zones
The Living Bubba
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Monument Valley
Checkout Time in Vegas
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Panties in Your Purse
Tough to Let Go
Women Without Whiskey
---
Pauline Hawkins
Birthday Boy
Hanging On
Gravity's Gone
I Do Believe
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Cottonseed
Sinkhole
Guitar Man Upstairs
Heathens
218 to Denver
What it Means
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Wednesday~~>
Ooh La La

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Superb show to close the first leg of the 2nd Dirt Underneath tour. It was my first visit to Iowa City and I had a great time with old and new friends.

Patterson said that it was the first full-band performance of Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent. I was lucky enough to be in the crowd in Annapolis, MD back in June 2012 when he played the song solo. Check out the link below for that version.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I saw a taper at the show as we were walking out. Fingers crossed.

Nice to meet Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl at the show. Somehow missed Bill even though we had tickets right next to each other. Hmmm...
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

PeterJ wrote:I saw a taper at the show as we were walking out. Fingers crossed.

Nice to meet Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl at the show. Somehow missed Bill even though we had tickets right next to each other. Hmmm...
Sorry I missed you. I think I told you I was sitting next to you when my ticket was elsewhere. Hope to meet you next time.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

3 hours went by super fast. Excellent show, great acoustics, funny dialog between Hood and Cooley from time to time...though a couple times I thought Cooley was getting annoyed by Patterson's stories and just wanted to play the songs. Only downside...no whiskey at the theater!!!!