First Avenue - Minneapolis 5/1/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

First Avenue - Minneapolis 5/1/15

Post by Bill in CT »

I thought I'd start a thread for this show. It will be my first time at this legendary venue and am really excited to see a show there.
Does anyone have ideas for good places to pre game near the venue?

IN
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Re: First Avenue - Minneapolis 5/1/15

Post by Iowan »

Gluek's is always a fun place to go for a First Ave show. I've done the Bulldog, and various other bars along Hennepin as well. The Depot, which is adjacent to First Ave has great food and good booze selection too.

Barely_Oakley is going to be your Minneapolis guru though.

Early forecasts make it look like I could be getting either this or the Iowa City show. A lot of my friends and family in the Cities will be at this one.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Pretty much made up my mind to pass on this one. :( Four hours round trip at the end of the work week is tough with a little one at home. Crap.

For pre-game...last time I was at First Ave (2011? 2012?) there was an Irish pub across the street. I'd give it an F for local flavor, but an A+ for convenience.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Pretty much made up my mind to pass on this one. :( Four hours round trip at the end of the work week is tough with a little one at home. Crap.

For pre-game...last time I was at First Ave (2011? 2012?) there was an Irish pub across the street. I'd give it an F for local flavor, but an A+ for convenience.
Yeah, I've been to that place. I have absolutely no idea what it's called. I went there before a Twins game, which was cool because they have a patio.

Just imagine your typical "Irish" pub in basically any city in the country, and that's it.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

:lol: For years now I've been meeting up with people at "You know the pub across the street with the stereotypical Irish name". I expect this time around will be the same. The Depot is just as convenient and probably easier to get a drink, but that area on a Fri. night, I suppose it's all relative. Looking forward to it, but I gotta get off my ass and book a room...
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

GW in IA wrote::lol: For years now I've been meeting up with people at "You know the pub across the street with the stereotypical Irish name". I expect this time around will be the same. The Depot is just as convenient and probably easier to get a drink, but that area on a Fri. night, I suppose it's all relative. Looking forward to it, but I gotta get off my ass and book a room...
I believe I met OBL at that pseudo Irish pub. Y'all have fun now
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
GW in IA wrote::lol: For years now I've been meeting up with people at "You know the pub across the street with the stereotypical Irish name". I expect this time around will be the same. The Depot is just as convenient and probably easier to get a drink, but that area on a Fri. night, I suppose it's all relative. Looking forward to it, but I gotta get off my ass and book a room...
I believe I met OBL at that pseudo Irish pub. Y'all have fun now
A good time was had by all. :)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote: Barely_Oakley is going to be your Minneapolis guru though.
Thanks for the endorsement!

I'm personally all about the Depot. It's attached to the First Ave, and it's a music bar rather than a fake Irish bar. On top of that they have a good assortment of booze and food. Sometimes you'll see the bands hangin out there before the shows as well. I suspect that that's where you'll find me unless someone else has a better idea.

Too bad the show's on a Friday rather than a Saturday or I'd invite everyone over to pre-game.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Really looking forward to this, especially after seeing setlists/reports from this tour. CG and I will be staying with family in the area, but will definitely be up for some pregame drankin'.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Tell ya what, so long as someone else doesn't have a better suggestion I'll head this one up by saying I will be at the Depot. Doors are at eight, so I'll try to get to the bar around 5:30-6:00. Shoot me a PM for my number if you want to meet up. See ya'll at the (slightly toned down acoustic) rock show!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

One of These Days
The Living Bubba
Gravity's Gone
I Do Believe
72 (This Highway's Mean)
The Night GG Allin Came to Town
Checkout Time in Vegas
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Panties in Your Purse
Pauline Hawkins-->
Bennie and the Jets
Birthday Boy
The Righteous Path
---------
Guitar Man Upstairs
Heathens
Sounds Better in the Song
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Cottonseed
Sinkhole
Sign O' the Times
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Tough to Let Go
218 to Denver
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Zip City
White Knuckle West Virginia
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Ooh La La

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Damn, that's quite a set list
Always go to the show

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Wow! Would love to see the reviews for this!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

The show last night was astounding. The set list was ridiculous. The sound was perfect. The guys were having so much fun. Both Patterson & Cooley were in storyteller mode. At the start of the show Cooley said he normally doesn't worry too much about the position of his mic but that last night he wanted to adjust it to get a good look at the audience. I was expecting the guys to be sitting & using acoustic guitars. What floored me was hearing an acoustic rock show. The audience was pretty good, they could have been a bit more quiet at some points, but not bad considering the venue. There was a bit of a skirmish near the end but Barely Oakley got the situation under control quickly. So glad we met you! GW in IA got a nice shout out from Patterson.
On our way to Iowa City now, can't wait for the show tonight!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sounds like an awesome show and a great time. That kind of balances out my personal disappointment about not being able to join you. Sort of. Almost. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

CooleyGirl wrote:So glad we met you!
The pleasure was mine, it's always good to meet fine folks at the rock show. It was great to meet everybody, the world is a small place and it gets smaller by the day.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Some killer set lists on this tour. Sure hope they keep Bennie and The Jets and Ooh La La in rotation for awhile until I can see them again. I never got to see Strutter or Adam Raised a Cain. (and I'm still bitter about it :x :D )
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Some killer set lists on this tour. Sure hope they keep Bennie and The Jets and Ooh La La in rotation for awhile until I can see them again. I never got to see Strutter or Adam Raised a Cain. (and I'm still bitter about it :x :D )
But did you see ozzy in '82 w/ randy rhoads or AC/DC w/ Bon Scott singing...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Some killer set lists on this tour. Sure hope they keep Bennie and The Jets and Ooh La La in rotation for awhile until I can see them again. I never got to see Strutter or Adam Raised a Cain. (and I'm still bitter about it :x :D )

Adam Raised A Cain is a face melter. Saw it at my first show.
Now it's dark.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

beantownbubba wrote:
But did you see ozzy in '82 w/ randy rhoads or AC/DC w/ Bon Scott singing...
Actually I did see AC/DC with Bon Scott singing and it was fucking awesome. (Except it was on the Powerage tour)
I had no desire to see Ozzy in 82 as by then I was a punker/new waver and Ozzy was no longer cool!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me