DBT/Alabama Shakes in September

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pa_heathen

DBT/Alabama Shakes in September

Post by pa_heathen »

We are very happy to announce three shows opening for the mighty Alabama Shakes in addition to our August Red Rocks show. Alabama Shakes have a new record coming out Tuesday, April 21st and it is stellar. Be sure to get a copy.
Pre-sale starts Friday, April 17 @ 12 Noon EST
Sept 17 - Mann Center for Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
Sept 18 - Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
Sept 19 - Forest Hills Stadium, New York, NY

I'd say it's a given that we will be there for Philly. Hopefully the others as well!
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

Clams

Re: DBT/Alabama Shakes in September

Post by Clams »

Nice.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

September rock show in Philly, about 5 miles from my house!

The only bad thing about the Mann is there are no local establishments within walking distance, so we will have to plan a DBT tailgate.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Website takes you to Front Gate Tickets. Sure to be a clusterfuck.
Dave

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I assume the Shakes will be headlining?

Philly/MD two-fer on Sat-Sun is kinda tempting.

Clams

Post by Clams »

So does anyone know the best way to approach this noon presale?

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:So does anyone know the best way to approach this noon presale?
1. attempt to log in
2. get stuck in queue
3. wait
4. go to 3DD
5. blame Clams

phungi

Post by phungi »

I called FrontGate tickets.

Tickets do go on sale at 12, but you need to go to the following website and register:

https://alabamashakes.frontgatetickets.com/
Click "Log-in" then "sign up"

It appears we will be buying pre-sale tickets through Alabama Shakes.

Good luck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

For the historically minded, Forest Hills (in Queens, not Manhattan, btw) is the former site of the US Open (tennis - it's where Arthur Ashe won his title)) and was also the location of Bob Dylan's first concert after his legendary Newport Folk Festival "Dylan goes electric" show. As w/ the Newport show, the use of a full electric band playing rock songs was very controversial and split the audience and the listening public in two. The rest, as they say, is history.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Whew! Just spent a bunch of money. :shock:

Got GA Floor for Merriweather and Forest Hills, and Reserved Pit Left Row BB for Philly.

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

And there went the little remaining money I had left over from taxes.

Same as UR except left pit DD for The Mann.

Clams

Post by Clams »

uncle rickey wrote: Reserved Pit Left Row BB for Philly.
Row BB is gonna be a party. See ya there.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Forest Hills--last time I was there was 1982 to see Talking Heads
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

For those going to the Mann, this will give you an idea. There's another big seated section behind what's pictured, plus a balcony, and a big lawn way in the back. There are around 14,000 seats plus however many can squeeze onto the lawn. It's a great venue (esp if it's a nice night - as it should be in September).

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Clams wrote: It's a great venue (esp if it's a nice night - as it should be in September).
I had seen Band of Horses/MMJ there in August 2012. It was a beautiful night in August, then a storm hit. It was spectacular since we were under cover and the band played on. I'm not so sure how the folks on the lawn felt about it though.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Does anybody who's been to Merriweather know what the GA Floor section is like? When we saw DBT and Lucinda there a few summers ago, we were in the front row, and I don't recall there being a heck of a lot of space between the seats and the stage. Do they move those front seats out or something? It's hard to tell from the seating charts I found on google...

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

There's a pretty good sized GA pit between the stage and the start of the seated section.. maybe 700-1000 people? and the first row of seats are elevated to the point where people on the floor at foot/shin height. I'm not sure how to post pics here but happy to send you a picture from Phish last summer.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

In for Philly and MPP. Both are great venues for some Fall weather Rock And Roll.
Dave

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

In for Philly & Merriweather! I got Row Q @ the Mann (right behind the left Pit) & GA floor @ MPP. DBT as an opener bums me a little, but DBT/Shakes is better than DBT/Eric Church (which I couldn't pull the trigger on). DBT/Lucinda may as well have been GA, 'coz we had our elbows on the stage at Merrifuckin'weather Post Pavillion. I never thought that would happen for me.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Dean

Post by Dean »

Tyler wrote:I assume the Shakes will be headlining?

Am I the only one that finds this to be sad?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dean wrote:

I don't think he meant that the Shakes "deserve" to headline over DBT if that's what you find sad. If you're referring to the reality that the Shakes are more popular than DBT, we've discussed that at length in one of the Shakes threads and i think the bottom line is, it is what it is and we're not gonna change it (except by converting people lntoto DBT fanatics one person at a time). If you find it sad that tyler didn't realize that the first post says that dbt is opening for the Shakes, well, we all miss things from time to time.

Dean

Post by Dean »

beantownbubba wrote:
Dean wrote:

I don't think he meant that the Shakes "deserve" to headline over DBT if that's what you find sad. If you're referring to the reality that the Shakes are more popular than DBT, we've discussed that at length in one of the Shakes threads and i think the bottom line is, it is what it is and we're not gonna change it (except by converting people lntoto DBT fanatics one person at a time). If you find it sad that tyler didn't realize that the first post says that dbt is opening for the Shakes, well, we all miss things from time to time.
yeah, just referring to the reality that they are more popular than DBT.

As grounded and secure in what they do as they may be, it has to suck to open up for a band that opened for you, what, two years ago?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dean wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Dean wrote: Am I the only one that finds this to be sad?
yeah, just referring to the reality that they are more popular than DBT.

As grounded and secure in what they do as they may be, it has to suck to open up for a band that opened for you, what, two years ago?
I'm sure it bothers them at some level but overall, I'm of the school that suspects it bothers the band less than it bothers we fans. The members of the band are among the few people on the planet who get to make an ok living doing exactly what they want to do w/ people they want to do it with, and not only are they doing what they want to, what they want to do is to create and play music, so how cool is that? If the choice is to play the exact same music but be 3x as popular I'm sure they'd rather be more popular. But if the choice is to do what they want at their current level of success or to change what they do for a couple of years of fame and fortune, my guess is that they'd choose the former and suffer the occasional aggravation of situations like this one.

Dean

Post by Dean »

It just baffles me that they aren't playing bigger rooms, if only slightly bigger. I get that they are never going to have radio play, but it seems their fan base is stagnant,if not receding, while similar, but lesser acts are growing.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Dean wrote:It just baffles me that they aren't playing bigger rooms, if only slightly bigger. I get that they are never going to have radio play, but it seems their fan base is stagnant,if not receding, while similar, but lesser acts are growing.
I don't think that's true at all. If you simply look at past tourdates and venues DBT used to play compared to what they play now their fan base has grown over the past 5-7 years. Have they reached their peak of popularity? Perhaps. But I bet they'd take their current level of success for the rest of their career as they've seemed to settle into a decent & comfortable level of success.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Dean wrote:It just baffles me that they aren't playing bigger rooms, if only slightly bigger. I get that they are never going to have radio play, but it seems their fan base is stagnant,if not receding, while similar, but lesser acts are growing.
One thing I know for sure is there aren't too many bigger fans of the Alabama Shakes than the members of DBT. They love them, they're proud of them and Matt Patton is on record as saying this new album is the best to come out of Alabama in years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Based on what I've been seeing at shows in my time as a fan (started listening to DBT in '07) that's not true at all.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Iowan wrote:
Based on what I've been seeing at shows in my time as a fan (started listening to DBT in '07) that's not true at all.
that the fan base is stagnant or that they are playing the same rooms as 7-8 years ago?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Heard some of the new album on npr today. Sounds great! You can watch some of it at 10 tonight on npr.org
Kinda stoked about the NY NY show as I'll have a little cash by then and it falls on my birthday 8-)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

insainz7713

Post by insainz7713 »

Im looking for one GA ticket for the Forest Hills show, if anyone has one or knows of one, let me know...