DBT Tracks - Week #9 - The Opening Act

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBT Tracks - Week #9 - The Opening Act

Post by beantownbubba »

Duke Silver wrote:
RevMatt wrote:The next time he gets to the refrain he sings, " And it ain't my crowd and it ain't my night but I'd be lying if I said I can't relate I'm just the opening act and the van is packed and I'm hauling ass to another state" Can't relate to what? I think he is saying that he can relate to what happened to the guy who fell off the bull. How many times has he gone to a club, had a few too many and did something like try and ride a mechanical bull?

I interpret this section as, "It ain't my crowd (it's the headliner's), it ain't my night (it's the headliner's), but I'd be lying if I said I can't relate (to the headliner)". Patterson/the narrator isn't identifying with the man on the bull, he's identifying with the "band on stage that used to be huge". He's using the man on the bull to underline how un-glamorous and un-rock and roll the whole situation is. Imagine how depressing that has to be for a band who maybe used to play arenas to be competing for a thinning crowd's attention with some mechanical bull sideshow in a dive bar (and being "asked to turn down", on top of it!). The narrator's "salvation" in this song comes from him realizing that he's "just the opening act". It's not his night, it's not his problem, and he's on to the next show, while the headliner is left contemplating what has become of their career.

But the great thing about this song is that it's written well enough that it can support both interpretations.

More food for thought, Duke. I've always thought of it more like Peter J (at least if i'm understanding him correctly), which takes the first part of your interp, duke, but then goes off somewhat differently. I.e., "oh, well it aint my crowd and it aint my night because it's the headliners night and crowd, but i can't blame anyone or expect much more because i can relate to being in the audience and not caring about the opening act."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

This week's discussion has been particularly good. Many different interpretations as to what is going on in the song. Sometimes I think it is better to leave a poem or song lyric a little bit vague. People can then bring a whole lot to the table.

A few things we seem to agree on. The band is upstaged by what is going on in the audience. The narrator would really prefer to leave the club ASAP but something keeps him there. (This is where the debate is. Is it helping the injured guy out, a drug dealer, record company person in the audience?) The final scene seems to point us in the direction of some form of transcendence, albeit a bit ambiguous.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

beantownbubba wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
RevMatt wrote:The next time he gets to the refrain he sings, " And it ain't my crowd and it ain't my night but I'd be lying if I said I can't relate I'm just the opening act and the van is packed and I'm hauling ass to another state" Can't relate to what? I think he is saying that he can relate to what happened to the guy who fell off the bull. How many times has he gone to a club, had a few too many and did something like try and ride a mechanical bull?

I interpret this section as, "It ain't my crowd (it's the headliner's), it ain't my night (it's the headliner's), but I'd be lying if I said I can't relate (to the headliner)". Patterson/the narrator isn't identifying with the man on the bull, he's identifying with the "band on stage that used to be huge". He's using the man on the bull to underline how un-glamorous and un-rock and roll the whole situation is. Imagine how depressing that has to be for a band who maybe used to play arenas to be competing for a thinning crowd's attention with some mechanical bull sideshow in a dive bar (and being "asked to turn down", on top of it!). The narrator's "salvation" in this song comes from him realizing that he's "just the opening act". It's not his night, it's not his problem, and he's on to the next show, while the headliner is left contemplating what has become of their career.

But the great thing about this song is that it's written well enough that it can support both interpretations.

More food for thought, Duke. I've always thought of it more like Peter J (at least if i'm understanding him correctly), which takes the first part of your interp, duke, but then goes off somewhat differently. I.e., "oh, well it aint my crowd and it aint my night because it's the headliners night and crowd, but i can't blame anyone or expect much more because i can relate to being in the audience and not caring about the opening act."

Exactly what I meant. It's scary that someone understood what the hell I was talking about. :lol:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

grayotis

The Opening Act

Post by grayotis »

The Opening Act is not only my favorite DBT song, but one of my all-time favorite tunes, period. The music, the mood, the words...it hits me on every level.
And on every level, I can relate. It gives me chills.

Does anyone else feel that this is a transcendent song, or is it just me?

Clams

Re: The Opening Act

Post by Clams »

Love it. But I have to say, it's the DBT song where I miss Shonna T the most.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

grayotis wrote:The Opening Act is not only my favorite DBT song, but one of my all-time favorite tunes, period. The music, the mood, the words...it hits me on every level.
And on every level, I can relate. It gives me chills.

Does anyone else feel that this is a transcendent song, or is it just me?

If you haven't found it already, I think you'll find this interesting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=706

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Patterson gave some background on this at a solo show....was inspired by a specific show he saw...some of the southern rock "legacy" self tribute bands...forget which but it was Marshall Tucker or the Outlaws or one of those.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tyler wrote:Patterson gave some background on this at a solo show....was inspired by a specific show he saw...some of the southern rock "legacy" self tribute bands...forget which but it was Marshall Tucker or the Outlaws or one of those.

For some reason, I always assumed it was DnC.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
Tyler wrote:Patterson gave some background on this at a solo show....was inspired by a specific show he saw...some of the southern rock "legacy" self tribute bands...forget which but it was Marshall Tucker or the Outlaws or one of those.

Speaking of which, the music nerd I referred to in the live music thread mentioned that DnC was scheduled to play Boston this summer but it was canceled for lack of interest/ticket sales. It was the first I'd heard about the show, which might be part of the problem - not that i hadn't heard about it, but perhaps the word did not get out as well as it should have. Sad.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Speaking of which, the music nerd I referred to in the live music thread mentioned that DnC was scheduled to play Boston this summer but it was canceled for lack of interest/ticket sales. It was the first I'd heard about the show, which might be part of the problem - not that i hadn't heard about it, but perhaps the word did not get out as well as it should have. Sad.

They played a free show last Saturday about 25 minutes from here but I didn't hear about it until the day after.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

It could have been DnC I guess, my memory is certainly more than a bit hazy on this...they were never really "huge" though.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tyler wrote:It could have been DnC I guess, my memory is certainly more than a bit hazy on this...they were never really "huge" though.

Shit, they were pretty damn big back in "Fly Me Courageous" days, in the South atleast.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I know that there for a while, they were often the opening act or were at least one of several bands on the bill at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh in the 90's even if they weren't promoting a new album. Last year, they played a show at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh on the same night Southern Culture On the Skids was paying a free concert just a few blocks away on Fayetteville Street. Upon leaving the SCOTS show I ran into several people that were interested in seeing D n' C yet had no idea they were even in town. In retrospect, perhaps the Lincoln show should have been promoted as the "after party" even though it got underway around 8:30 with the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team opening. Last weekend, D n' C played to a pretty large crowd at the Lincoln (at least for a Sunday night) as part of Schoolkids Records 40th Anniversary celebration and put on one of the best shows I've ever seen them do. Oftentimes, I hear people say, "I had no idea they were in town" or "If I'd only known, I would have gone". I have no idea if that is due to poor promotion on the part of the local clubs or if people just don't pay attention to who's playing around here. I'm thinking it's the latter.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
Tyler wrote:It could have been DnC I guess, my memory is certainly more than a bit hazy on this...they were never really "huge" though.

Shit, they were pretty damn big back in "Fly Me Courageous" days, in the South atleast.

Yep, they were pretty huge back then and nationally too.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know that there for a while, they were often the opening act or were at least one of several bands on the bill at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh in the 90's even if they weren't promoting a new album. Last year, they played a show at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh on the same night Southern Culture On the Skids was paying a free concert just a few blocks away on Fayetteville Street. Upon leaving the SCOTS show I ran into several people that were interested in seeing D n' C yet had no idea they were even in town. In retrospect, perhaps the Lincoln show should have been promoted as the "after party" even though it got underway around 8:30 with the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team opening. Last weekend, D n' C played to a pretty large crowd at the Lincoln (at least for a Sunday night) as part of Schoolkids Records 40th Anniversary celebration and put on one of the best shows I've ever seen them do. Oftentimes, I hear people say, "I had no idea they were in town" or "If I'd only known, I would have gone". I have no idea if that is due to poor promotion on the part of the local clubs or if people just don't pay attention to who's playing around here. I'm thinking it's the latter.

We have no local music scene to stay on top of, but DnC did play a free "concert series" show last Saturday 25 minutes from me and I missed it because I didn't hear about it till the day after.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I know that there for a while, they were often the opening act or were at least one of several bands on the bill at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh in the 90's even if they weren't promoting a new album. Last year, they played a show at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh on the same night Southern Culture On the Skids was paying a free concert just a few blocks away on Fayetteville Street. Upon leaving the SCOTS show I ran into several people that were interested in seeing D n' C yet had no idea they were even in town. In retrospect, perhaps the Lincoln show should have been promoted as the "after party" even though it got underway around 8:30 with the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team opening. Last weekend, D n' C played to a pretty large crowd at the Lincoln (at least for a Sunday night) as part of Schoolkids Records 40th Anniversary celebration and put on one of the best shows I've ever seen them do. Oftentimes, I hear people say, "I had no idea they were in town" or "If I'd only known, I would have gone". I have no idea if that is due to poor promotion on the part of the local clubs or if people just don't pay attention to who's playing around here. I'm thinking it's the latter.

We have no local music scene to stay on top of, but DnC did play a free "concert series" show last Saturday 25 minutes from me and I missed it because I didn't hear about it till the day after.

Perhaps it's a little bit of both then. My opinion may be biased as I help to maintain a local concert calendar so I'm always trying to keep an ear out for shows (both large and small). Even then, some still pass me by.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Last spring at the Truckers' show at Toad's Place, the band followed "The Opening Act" with Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." The result: rock club nirvana.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Whispering Pines wrote:Last spring at the Truckers' show at Toad's Place, the band followed "The Opening Act" with Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." The result: rock club nirvana.

Hey! Hey! Hey!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Shonnas backing vocals are so sweet on the Opening Act. But damn Patton is fuckin awesome tho. do miss lookin at Shonnas nice behind sometimes tho haha

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Good discussion going here but since there was a DBT Tracks thread I thought merging the new thread into this one made more sense. Carry on.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I thought this was the thread on Shonna's behind. :oops:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I just re-read my exchange with RevMatt re: "the man," "my friend," and the guy on the mechanical bull and got all stressed out again. :lol:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

I love how the tank is half full at the end. It would almost have to be to ensure you kept hauling ass to another town after shows like that.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

This is the show referenced in the song: https://archive.org/details/drivinncryi ... -13.flac16

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:Count me in on the drug dealer theory, especially in light of this line....

I see my friend and give him all my money and tell myself it's a necessary evil
Patterson introduced this song tonight and explained that he was waiting for the "coke man." Don't know if that settles it, but there you go.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I was really thinking that I heard this song over the weekend at Homecoming 2018; however, I didn't see it in a cursory look at set lists.

Maybe I was thinking about it after seeing folks on the guest list.

"The bands on the guest list..."

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I was listening to the awesome quarantine show again tonight and got to thinking (after some beers) that our beloved Urban Bovine Knievel is out there somewhere and likely has no idea that there is a song all about him from that really bad night in Columbus on the mechanical bull.

From stage stories, we know Harold showed up at a Hood solo show to claim "Margo and Harold." Does anyone know if the Urban Bovine Knievel has ever come forth to claim his song?
Let the outside air in

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

schlanky wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 pm
I was listening to the awesome quarantine show again tonight and got to thinking (after some beers) that our beloved Urban Bovine Knievel is out there somewhere and likely has no idea that there is a song all about him from that really bad night in Columbus on the mechanical bull.

From stage stories, we know Harold showed up at a Hood solo show to claim "Margo and Harold." Does anyone know if the Urban Bovine Knievel has ever come forth to claim his song?
I missed the story behind the lyric.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

bovine knievel wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 pm
schlanky wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 pm

I missed the story behind the lyric.
Bottom line, it happened.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.