Patterson Solo Shows: Birmingham, AL 5/7 & Florence, Al 5/8

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Patterson Solo Shows: Birmingham, AL 5/7 & Florence, Al 5/8

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From FB:

Two new Patterson solo shows to announce. Pre-sale starts tomorrow at the link.
Thu May 07 – Birmingham, AL - Saturn
Fri May 08 – Florence, AL - 116 Mobile

http://pattersonhood.baselineticketing.com/
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

schlanky

Re: Patterson Solo Shows: Birmingham, AL 5/7 & Florence, Al

Post by schlanky »

Never heard of the venue (I don't get out much), but seeing that it's just five minutes from my job, looks like I'm probably in for Birmingham. Anyone else?
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:Never heard of the venue (I don't get out much), but seeing that it's just five minutes from my job, looks like I'm probably in for Birmingham. Anyone else?
Maybe, haven't spoken with Lurleen yet. Thursday's tough but if she could work in her office there on Friday we could do it.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

schlanky wrote:Never heard of the venue (I don't get out much), but seeing that it's just five minutes from my job, looks like I'm probably in for Birmingham. Anyone else?
It is brand new place run by somebody from the Bottletree I think.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

It is Brian Teasley's new place. Brian was co-owner of the Bottletree and is one of the few people responsible for making Birmingham the cool city (and destination city for touring bands) it is today. I haven't been to his new venue yet, but that is one dude who knows what he's doing, so I'm sure it'll rule. Plus, it's named after Sun Ra's label. How cool is that?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Great Peacock opening for Hood in Birmingham too. That would be worth a trip but it is on my son's 17th birthday. Not many more of those at home.

Check out the events at this brand new venue. A lot of fresh talent playing there!

http://www.saturnbirmingham.com/calendar/

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

It's show day for Birmingham! Hope to see some of you fine folks there.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Birmingham show was fun. I rode the rail with Lurleen McQueen and Tequila Cowboy---it's always a treat to see them. Highlights for me were Road Cases, Tales Facing Up, the Fourth Night of My Drinking, Better than the Truth and 12:01. Cooley came out and sang along on the last chorus of the closer---Nine Bullets.

The crowd toward the back of the house was a bit too chatty. I'm puzzled why folks would buy tickets to see one of the best songwriters this state has ever produced, then talk through the show. And there were a couple of requests for "Outfit."

All in all, another great show. Wish I could make it to Florence tomorrow.
Let the outside air in

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

schlanky wrote: And there were a couple of requests for "Outfit."
Were they ironic "trying to be funny because I've had a few beers" requests or real requests?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

brett27295 wrote:
Were they ironic "trying to be funny because I've had a few beers" requests or real requests?
It sounded like they just didn't know better---and it wasn't an ongoing thing, just a couple of times when other people were making requests.

I'm worn out today, but it was completely worth it. Patterson put on a mighty fine show---told some great stories and played some great songs.

The opener, Great Peacock, was very good too. I'd never heard them before. Their upcoming album is very good.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:Birmingham show was fun. I rode the rail with Lurleen McQueen and Tequila Cowboy---it's always a treat to see them. Highlights for me were Road Cases, Tales Facing Up, the Fourth Night of My Drinking, Better than the Truth and 12:01. Cooley came out and sang along on the last chorus of the closer---Nine Bullets.

The crowd toward the back of the house was a bit too chatty. I'm puzzled why folks would buy tickets to see one of the best songwriters this state has ever produced, then talk through the show. And there were a couple of requests for "Outfit."

All in all, another great show. Wish I could make it to Florence tomorrow.
Absolutely a fun hang shlanky as always. We really wanted to come see this show as these non-tour solo shows within a few hours of our house will soon come to end due to Patterson and family's exciting new adventure west. As always it was well worth the drive and the work scheduling it took to make it happen. As far as the talk-talkers, they always mystify me. There is technology to listen to live music in your living room where you can talk to your heart's content. Shit, at this show you could sit at the coffee shop next door and hear the show and talk to your heart's content. So why oh why would you chatter about bird feeders and your buddy's bitchy girlfriend while Patterson debuts a new song on acoustic guitar that's so new in fact that he's reading the lyrics off a music stand? I would implore these people that when they have these thoughts about going to quiet shows that they rethink them and stay home.

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

schlanky wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
It sounded like they just didn't know better---and it wasn't an ongoing thing, just a couple of times when other people were making requests.

I'm worn out today, but it was completely worth it. Patterson put on a mighty fine show---told some great stories and played some great songs.

The opener, Great Peacock, was very good too. I'd never heard them before. Their upcoming album is very good.
I was there last night maybe three people away from yall on the rail on the right. It was an amazing show and was glad Cooley came out just to sing the final part of 9 Bullets.

I unfortunately had the big drunk guy from Atlanta right behind me shouting request after every song. Patterson even played 2 of them. I was wandering what Hood had on his setlist instead of those songs. Great Peacock was amazing.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Caleb, if you came up to the front pretty early after the doors opened before much of anyone else was up there, I think I know who you are.

I didn't do a setlist, but here is what I remember. This isn't in order and I'm sure I left something out:

Two Daughters (opener)
Righteous Path
Leaving Time
Hanging On (I like this one better on acoustic)
Heathens
Better than the Truth
Dead Drunk and Naked
Heroin (good new song that TC referred to above).
Daddy Needs a Drink
When Walter Went Crazy
Bulldozers and Dirt
Tales Facing Up
12:01
The Deeper In
Road Cases
Fourth Night of My Drinking
Uncle Disney
Tornadoes
18 Wheels
Nine Bullets (closer)
Last edited by schlanky on Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Yeah I was there really early on, (waiting in line before the bar opened). Ihad about 3 PBR's with me and a Saints hat on at the rail. I used to post here as Biloxi Parish, I honestly have no clue what any of the folks here actually look like so I couldn't tell most of yall from Adam :). I felt bad not a lot of folks were there for Great Peacock. But Hood seemed to really dig the venue as well. The background noise and constant crowd chatter was distracting and it was that way for the Cooley show at Workplay in Dec last year in Bham. A few times I couldn't make out what Hood was saying between songs because of the talking going on behind me.

Your setlist looks pretty complete, I felt like there were more tunes but then again it was a good night.

Here are some photos I took
http://imgur.com/a/ZSIOX

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Did the show benefit from following the Dirt Underneath tour? I bet that was great tell me about Heroin (the song).

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Was this an acoustic show or did Patterson have a band behind him?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

when I am elected the talkers will be eliminated with extreme prejudice

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

The show was just acoustic which I had no clue what to expect because the venue didn't really specify if he was going to have a band or not.

The new song Heroin was pretty sad and intense. I can't imagine it actually having a full DBT arrangement behind it. Patterson told a short story prior to it "about a drug that's unfortunately making a comeback". Just my two cents.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Nice pics, Caleb---particularly when Cooley came on stage. You caught my profile on the pic where everyone is waiting to get into the main room. I'm the guy at the very front of the line facing to the left.
Let the outside air in

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

The Cooley and Hood onstage pic I had to grab. A day or two prior I was reading the DBT FaceBook group about Hood moving to Portland with a few people saying it was the end for the truckers. One guy even saying at a show he went to recently they all looked unhappy onstage..

I knew when Cooley walked out smiling last night the Truckers were just fine.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

CalebCalebson wrote: I knew when Cooley walked out smiling last night the Truckers were just fine.
As you saw with your own eyes, I wouldn't put much stock in what people say on Facebook. English Oceans was a rebirth for DBT. We can look forward to the live set coming out this fall and they're apparently already working songs for the next album.

Soooo..... Did anyone go to the show in Florence?
Let the outside air in

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've heard people have been talking about DBT breaking up ever since I became a fan (in 2002 or so). If anyone onstage quits smiling for a nanosecond then it must be inter-band turmoil fixing to tear them apart.

They could break up/call it quits at anytime, shit any band could, but as far as I can tell there's nothing to suggest anything like that in the near future.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.