DBT Tracks --- Your Daddy Hates Me

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

DBT Tracks --- Your Daddy Hates Me

Post by bovine knievel »

Don't think this has been done yet. It's been awhile for a track-of-the-week thread and my experience this past weekend made me think of this song as it contains one of my favorite Patterson lyrics (I bolded it below).

I spent the weekend at my Mom's house in the old neighborhood where I grew up. This is the place where my brother and i did all kinds of crazy, stupid, shit. There was a conversation around the dinner table with my much younger sister and my brother's daughter about what the craziest thing we got into when we were younger. This song immediately popped into my head starting with my favorite line.

I know your Daddy hates me and I got a room in hell reserved. I know he wants to kill me and it's the least that I deserve But I always loved your Daddy, that's something that I know you know. Just sometimes don't do what I ought to, sometimes I yes when I should no. I know your Daddy hates me and I drink more than a whale but my failures ain't for lack of trying it's just a little too late now to prevail. You always knew I was a screw up, long before I screwed us up. You just said it endeared you to me, but in the end you just gave up And I always loved your Daddy, I loved your Mama even more And I always loved their daughter, that's for sure. I know your Daddy hates me, I know I'd probably hate me too. But, I also know you don't hate me, even though you'd probably like to and ought to. And it's a little too late for writing love songs, but I never did anything on time. Happiness on your big adventure. See you Darling down the line.

Love how you can change no to know in sometimes I yes when I should no and it doesn't change a thing about the song.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Clams

Re: DBT Tracks --- Your Daddy Hates Me

Post by Clams »

Well shit, I guess I missed this one. Thanks for catching it, Bovine. Love how this one bridges the break-up and death songs on Decoration Day. Not sure who's playing which guitar parts, but it sounds great. And yeah, sometimes I yes when I should no is a great lyric.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've always fought for this song, which got a lot of ambivalence/dislike back in the 9B days. Jason's slide guitar is off the charts insane
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Well shit, I guess I missed this one. Thanks for catching it, Bovine. Love how this one bridges the break-up and death songs on Decoration Day. Not sure who's playing which guitar parts, but it sounds great. And yeah, sometimes I yes when I should no is a great lyric.
I blame you for the no sticky status. 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I love this song...probably because it fits my first marriage so well. My favorite memory of this song is from the first night of my very first Homecoming...watching them play this while I was completely hammered on PBR and swaying in time to the music.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

When I first heard DD, this was probably close to my least favorite track; now I think it's one of their most underrated songs. Slow burner.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

This one takes me back to a first marriage as well. A struggling central relationship that effects those surrounding relationships - including the one with your in-laws which can actually be a positive part of the marriage.

Jason's slide solo is one of the best in any song that I know. As a medium level guitar player who admittedly does not solo well, it is hard to replicate the smooth touch, soul wrenching licks that simply kick my ass every time I hear them. Neff's, Cooley's and Jay's slide playing make the fill effectively, but Jason's slide is great in this song.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I love how the sparse intro sets the stage for the anguish to come. The music just sets the mood perfectly.

Bovine Knieval and Clams hit on one of the several lines that make this song classic Patterson. I particularly love "And it's a little too late for writing love songs, but I never did anything time."
Three guitars or a life of crime

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote:I love how the sparse intro sets the stage for the anguish to come. The music just sets the mood perfectly.

Bovine Knieval and Clams hit on one of the several lines that make this song classic Patterson. I particularly love "And it's a little too late for writing love songs, but I never did anything time."
Hell yea!!! :D

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:When I first heard DD, this was probably close to my least favorite track; now I think it's one of their most underrated songs. Slow burner.
Agree. Absolutely love this song. Something about the way Patterson sings the, "but I always loved your mama..." line.

And then there are the guitars.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.