Anybody been to a bad show?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: Anybody been to a bad show?

Post by CooleyGirl »

I can't think of a single bad DBT show. I've seen them when they don't have their normal energy, when things were starting to break down with the personal relationships, but even at those shows, they weren't bad. I think Patterson once said that they try to play each show as if it were their last. I believe they do that, night after night after night. It is what keeps me coming back time and time again.
To echo what others said about the show the night after Craig died, that was incredible. I still can't believe they played that night, although I'm sure Craig would have haunted them something fierce if they didn't. I recall being on the rail and sobbing, like full on heaving sobs, from the second they hit the stage until well after they stopped playing. I know I wasn't alone, the whole first row was in about the same shape. I don't know how they could out at all those sad faces and keep going. That was a true testament to their professionalism right there.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

One of the things I've noticed is when The Truckers deliver an epic three plus hour set and have to travel to another city to play a show the following night their fatigue often shows. Not that they deliver a "bad" show in terms of a train wreck. Just that the energy level and concentration isn't always there.

Many people would think The Truckers have a dream job, DBT members included. But it isn't easy doing what they do night after night. Sometimes they are tired. Sometimes a member might feel sick. Sometimes an hour before the set a band member might get a call from home -- their child or spouse has to go to the emergency room. But The Truckers always seem to deliver the best possible show given the circumstances. They know that there are always people in the audience who rarely get the chance to go to a rock show and The Truckers consider it an honor when somebody chooses a DBT show for the rare night when they hire a sitter, go out to dinner and a rock show.

Whenever somebody asks me "What are they like?" the first thing I say is that they are all family men.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RevMatt wrote:One of the things I've noticed is when The Truckers deliver an epic three plus hour set and have to travel to another city to play a show the following night their fatigue often shows. Not that they deliver a "bad" show in terms of a train wreck. Just that the energy level and concentration isn't always there.

Many people would think The Truckers have a dream job, DBT members included. But it isn't easy doing what they do night after night. Sometimes they are tired. Sometimes a member might feel sick. Sometimes an hour before the set a band member might get a call from home -- their child or spouse has to go to the emergency room. But The Truckers always seem to deliver the best possible show given the circumstances. They know that there are always people in the audience who rarely get the chance to go to a rock show and The Truckers consider it an honor when somebody chooses a DBT show for the rare night when they hire a sitter, go out to dinner and a rock show.

Whenever somebody asks me "What are they like?" the first thing I say is that they are all family men.
Since moving to Athens, have you become a member of the band?

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Wasn't a Bad show, but them co headlining with Son Volt on night two when DBT opened,
Was not much fun after DBT's set, as Son Volt decide to match the DBT's energy by turning their amps up to 11,
Which really isn't Son Volts game...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
RevMatt wrote:One of the things I've noticed is when The Truckers deliver an epic three plus hour set and have to travel to another city to play a show the following night their fatigue often shows. Not that they deliver a "bad" show in terms of a train wreck. Just that the energy level and concentration isn't always there.

Nope. I did join a band over the weekend but none of them, to my knowledge, has ever played in DBT.

Over the years friends of mine who are fans of the band but don't participate on 3DD -- which makes them a helluva lot wiser than I am -- have asked me what they are like.

Well, I've reached my allotment of posts for the year. See you at homecoming.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Kudzu--sometimes things don't come across as intended on the internet. Your response to Rev seems to be sarcastic. Quite frankly, I don't see anything that would warrant it
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Kudzu--sometimes things don't come across as intended on the internet. Your response to Rev seems to be sarcastic. Quite frankly, I don't see anything that would warrant it
Only past posts where he's apparently been privy to all but what Cooley's farts smell like and the preferred use of butane he uses to ignite them.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: Only past posts where he's apparently been privy to all but what Cooley's farts smell like and the preferred use of butane he uses to ignite them.
What does that have to do with the current post?
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote: Only past posts where he's apparently been privy to all but what Cooley's farts smell like and the preferred use of butane he uses to ignite them.
What does that have to do with the current post?
If I have to explain it to you then it means you're not paying attention.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Either way, it is irrelevant because I'm done here. The only reason I posted here today is because some Obama hater's been trolling my Facebook page. This is my 19th post of 2015. Probably about 18 too many.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote: If I have to explain it to you then it means you're not paying attention.
I believe I've made my point
Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote: If I have to explain it to you then it means you're not paying attention.
I believe I've made my point
Not sure I follow. A few posts back you didn't understand the nature of my reply to the Rev. Now, you've made your point?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jesus Christ this thread took a nosedive.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Well, this show kind of sucks.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

Stick around, Rev. You're part of the family.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

The Rev isn't going anywhere. He threatens to stop posting every time someone mentions how far he has his head up the bands' ass and/or expounds on their every thought as if it were his own. He'll be back.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nice work there, kudzu. Who ya going after today?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:Nice work there, kudzu. Who ya going after today?
Keep that up and you'll be Clamato juice, Mister.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

This thread reminds me of my 3rd period World History class when some of the freshmen girls in there start getting pissy with each other on snapchat. Boy the claws come out quick then...of course they're 14, so they have an excuse
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yeah, and here I thought bad shows might be controversial. Let's all calm down and not feed a fire that doesn't need to be fed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Time out
Always go to the show

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I'm going to approach this thread from a slightly different angle.

I'm such a newbie that the first time I ever saw the full band, Matt Patton was on bass. I counted the days from the show announcement until the tickets went on sale, then counted the days from then until the show. That night, DBT came out and fucking rocked. I'd been hoping to hear "Angels and Fuselage" and had no idea at the time that it was one of the standard closers. I had no idea how the end of that song worked live. DBT ended with it and left the stage one by one with the resulting meltdown of glorious feedback. I was blown away. I had really high expectations for that show and they were far, far exceeded. I talked about it for days. It was amazing. And looking back, that was probably the "worst" DBT show I've seen.

Fast forward a little, and the last three DBT shows I've seen hold up to any live shows by any bands I've seen--ever. I don't think the current lineup is capable of doing a bad show---sure some nights will be better than others because we're all human, but with their stage experience together, it would have to be a really bizarre set of circumstances to result in a bad show. Every time I see DBT, I come away impressed by something else. For the first show, I was blown away by Matt Patton's energy on stage. Early on, I always hung out on Cooley's side of the stage and was blown away by him. Then I tried Jay's side for a few shows, and good Lord, he's fantastic. At my last show in Jackson MS, I made a point to watch EZB more--he just sits back there calmly rocking the hell out of the drum kit. And then there's Patterson Hood. His performance in Jackson was truly amazing. Hood is always amazing, but at times during the Jackson show, I really couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I used to feel like I'd really missed out on the glory days of when Isbell was in the band. After this year's Homecoming shows and the night in Jackson, I no longer feel that way. I think what we have right here right now with DBT is as good as live rock and roll gets.
Let the outside air in

John A Arkansawyer

schlanky wrote:I used to feel like I'd really missed out on the glory days of when Isbell was in the band. After this year's Homecoming shows and the night in Jackson, I no longer feel that way. I think what we have right here right now with DBT is as good as live rock and roll gets.
Since my first show opened with Zip City and ended with Angels and Fuselage, I wasn't sure I'd ever see a better one, but I have, and in the same place.

In other words, me, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Great post schlanky. You must have lost your mind the first time you saw tham play Angels and Fuselage.

The first time I saw them they played Let There Be Rock and I was an instant convert. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Rocky wrote:The first time I saw them they played Let There Be Rock and I was an instant convert. :mrgreen:
My best living friend played that for me in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in Fall of 2001. I stopped at Vinyl Solutions on the way out of town and bought it. The rest, as they say, is history.

(My memory is getting it on 9/11, just like Love and Theft, but I'm not sure the timeline holds up for that. In other news, I'm an old man.)

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Rocky wrote:You must have lost your mind the first time you saw tham play Angels and Fuselage.
I lost my mind when they opened that first show with Ronnie & Neil into This Highway's Mean into Lookout Mtn. By the time Angels and Fuselage came around, I was no longer forty-something years old. I was 19 again with my fist in the air singing the chorus at the top of my lungs.

And it's been that way at every show since----for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.
Let the outside air in

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

schlanky wrote:
Rocky wrote:You must have lost your mind the first time you saw tham play Angels and Fuselage.
I lost my mind when they opened that first show with Ronnie & Neil into This Highway's Mean into Lookout Mtn. By the time Angels and Fuselage came around, I was no longer forty-something years old. I was 19 again with my fist in the air singing the chorus at the top of my lungs.

And it's been that way at every show since----for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.
Well said! You've found your proper place on this board then...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

beergut

Post by beergut »

schlanky wrote:
You simply cannot put it any better!

In fact, I'm going to use this.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Signature line worthy :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Don't know that i would call it a bad show, but I have seen them preform at a number of festivals and it is not my thing. Short 1-1 1/2 hour sets and crowds that are not necessarily DBT fans. That being said I will be right up front when they play the Hangout Festival in May :)