Patterson reviews Kendrick Lamar

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Patterson reviews Kendrick Lamar

Post by Zip City »

http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/pat ... butterfly/

Patterson and I are on the bandwagon, but there is plenty of room
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Patterson reviews Kendrick Lamar

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/pat ... butterfly/

Patterson and I are on the bandwagon, but there is plenty of room
Interesting review. Too lazy to post in the listening threat, but I'm "spinning" it right now.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Lurleen was impressed. I'm convinced of his talent, too many very talented people sing his praises, but I never caught the hip hop bug. I have to admit sometimes that does make me sad. I feel about it the same way I feel about opera and that's it's too late for me to develop that love.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

That was a good read. I gave TPAB a listen last night and while it's definitely dense and ambitious, it didn't really grab me like GDMC did. I like the single version of "i" better, I think.

I'm not much of a hip hop guy either, but I try to give 2-3 albums per year a listen in hopes that it'll click.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Lurleen was impressed. I'm convinced of his talent, too many very talented people sing his praises, but I never caught the hip hop bug. I have to admit sometimes that does make me sad. I feel about it the same way I feel about opera and that's it's too late for me to develop that love.
That's fair. Kendrick is what I would consider a generational talent. He's so off the charts good lyrically at such a young age. You could pull up the lyrics to good kid/madd city and just read them and be impressed.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Good praise for FJM in there as well 8-)
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Sub

Post by Sub »

I think its pretty cool, have only listened once last night but i was impressed.

(I also enjoy the genre in general so its not so out of place for me as it may be to some of the members.)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Lurleen was impressed. I'm convinced of his talent, too many very talented people sing his praises, but I never caught the hip hop bug. I have to admit sometimes that does make me sad. I feel about it the same way I feel about opera and that's it's too late for me to develop that love.
Parts of this album is more jazz/soul than rap/hip-hop.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I guess I need to try this. No new rap artist has really grabbed since, well since Kanye was new and I got so tired of Kanye the person that I left his music behind long ago. I don't listen to rap that much anymore. been through a few periods where I listened to it almost exclusively but it's been a while. I mostly just play some of my old favorites from time to time (listened to Raekwan and Ghostface's Only Built For Cuban Links on my way turkey hunting this morning. There's a paradox for ya) but nothing new in a while. I'm gonna give this a try.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Sub

Post by Sub »

I feel it may be just as complex and probably take as long as any DBT album to fully digest. That is a pretty strong statement.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've listened through three times, and I'm still adjusting to the new tone. good kid/m.A.A.d. city was the story of a young Kendrick growing up in Compton and wanting to be a rapper, but not wanting to live the Compton life. It's tone is one of naiveté, frustration, and sadness. To Pimp a Butterfly sees Kendrick as a self aware, angry young black man, lashing out against injustice.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

TW_2.0 wrote:Good praise for FJM in there as well 8-)
And Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange", which is the closest thing to Stevie Wonder I've heard since, well, Stevie Wonder.