Just gotta say it... put down the damn devices at shows

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Just gotta say it... put down the damn devices at shows

Post by Duke Silver »

I'll take Device Guy over Dangerously Drunk Guy, Disrespecter of Personal Space Guy, A $20 Ticket Gives Me the Right to Ruin Your Night Guy, and Sloppy Wasted Girl any day.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Duke Silver wrote:I'll take Device Guy over Dangerously Drunk Guy, Disrespecter of Personal Space Guy, A $20 Ticket Gives Me the Right to Ruin Your Night Guy, and Sloppy Wasted Girl any day.
Ah, Dangerously Drunk Guy. I had him on the second night of HeAthens. It all turned out ok though.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:Sloppy Wasted Girl any day.
Indeed. Sometimes known as "I've Got a Flower for Cooley Girl" (no relation to Cooley Girl). Reference from Chicago Vic Theater 2010.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My least favorite guy is "need to make a beer/shitter run every other song" guy. It's my biggest fear with the MMJ theatre tour...the people constantly leaving the main floor to go to the bar/bathroom
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

walthers

Post by walthers »

Zip City wrote:My least favorite guy is "need to make a beer/shitter run every other song" guy. It's my biggest fear with the MMJ theatre tour...the people constantly leaving the main floor to go to the bar/bathroom
I agree. I think a lot of people just don't take other peoples (including the performers) feelings into consideration. Many people think that if it is a GA show then they can go wherever they want, whenever they want. Same with seats; they think they can come and go at will with zero regard to the people around them. I love to drink beers at shows, therefore I usually place myself in the back or side so I can come and go as I please without bothering others. It is just amazing the entitlement many people get as soon as they purchase a ticket.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

walthers wrote:
Zip City wrote:My least favorite guy is "need to make a beer/shitter run every other song" guy. It's my biggest fear with the MMJ theatre tour...the people constantly leaving the main floor to go to the bar/bathroom
I agree. I think a lot of people just don't take other peoples (including the performers) feelings into consideration. Many people think that if it is a GA show then they can go wherever they want, whenever they want. Same with seats; they think they can come and go at will with zero regard to the people around them. I love to drink beers at shows, therefore I usually place myself in the back or side so I can come and go as I please without bothering others. It is just amazing the entitlement many people get as soon as they purchase a ticket.
That kind of thing annoys me somewhat during a Dirt Underneath or similarly acoustic show but for a rock show (by DBT or MMJ or anyone else) it doesn't affect me. I don't see how it's "entitlement" for people to want to go back to their seat (or spot in a GA show) after going to the bar or bathroom. It seems normal to me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Bill in CT wrote: That kind of thing annoys me somewhat during a Dirt Underneath or similarly acoustic show but for a rock show (by DBT or MMJ or anyone else) it doesn't affect me. I don't see how it's "entitlement" for people to want to go back to their seat (or spot in a GA show) after going to the bar or bathroom. It seems normal to me.
The voice of reason is such a breath of fresh air.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Maybe entitlement was not the correct choice of words, I have just had my own experiences with people shoving their way around and being overly rude because it was a concert. It's just that I have had people tell me that "Hey, we are not at a movie" with complete disregard for others around them.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Despite my better judgement, I went to a sold out American Aquarium show at the Pour House in Raleigh once. Even before the opening band had come on, trying to find a spot to watch the show was a real challenge. I ended up upstairs. As I approached an empty spot on the rail, I was told in no uncertain terms by an asshat that someone was standing there. Considering they were towering over me like Andre the Giant I wasn't about to get into an argument with them but clearly, no one was standing there. After about half an hour or so of similar behavior from their fanbase, I got the fuck out about 10 minutes into the opening bands' set. I have seen American Aquarium at Hopscotch twice where the folks seeing them weren't indicative of their usual crowd, those were much more pleasurable experiences.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Clams wrote:It's 2015 fellas, those devices are here to stay. Taking pics and vids, jotting down setlists on your phone, sharing stuff on FB or twitter, etc, doesn't really bother me anymore. I think the fact that the bands themselves allow this behavior (or are pretty much helpless to stop it) means that it's pretty much accepted at this point. As longs as people don't block your view or cause a disruption in the show, phone use doesn't really bother me. I'm with Zip, people having conversations is a bigger faux pas.
I agree. As long as people don't use flash or block people's view during their taking of photos & videos it's okay by me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
Bill in CT wrote: That kind of thing annoys me somewhat during a Dirt Underneath or similarly acoustic show but for a rock show (by DBT or MMJ or anyone else) it doesn't affect me. I don't see how it's "entitlement" for people to want to go back to their seat (or spot in a GA show) after going to the bar or bathroom. It seems normal to me.
The voice of reason is such a breath of fresh air.
If it's GA, it doesn't bother me as much. The crowd tends to shift around to accommodate the comings and goings.

But that seated Ryan Adams show I saw last year was just maddening. First off, people stayed seated rather than standing which made every person/group who would come or leave that much more obvious. Add to that the fact that these groups would not stay for more than two songs before leaving again.

I get it, the bar is out in the lobby, but what did you pay $50 for? To stand in the lobby and drink?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't get too bothered by the going back and forth either unless it just gets to be constant and then I think just about anybody would get annoyed with it.

At night two in Athens this year, there was some guy down front who was going back and forth to the bar to get beers for...pretty much anybody who wanted him to whether he knew them or not as far as I could tell. On the one hand that is really generous. But also, this same guy kept coming back and forth needing to shove past everybody to get to whoever he had gone to get beer for. I mean it went on and on. At one point, phungi looked at me and dead panned, "that's a good service he provides." :lol: I still laugh about that every time I think about it. It really got annoying having to get out of that guy's way after a while.

And too drunk to be there guy is definitely the worst of all.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:At night two in Athens this year, there was some guy down front who was going back and forth to the bar to get beers for...pretty much anybody who wanted him to whether he knew them or not as far as I could tell. On the one hand that is really generous. But also, this same guy kept coming back and forth needing to shove past everybody to get to whoever he had gone to get beer for. I mean it went on and on. At one point, phungi looked at me and dead panned, "that's a good service he provides." :lol: I still laugh about that every time I think about it.
It makes me chuckle just to read it now. It also brings back my memory of those amazing waitresses at the Fillmore slicing like grass through a hippie in the thickest parts of the crowd with their trays. I've never seen anything quite like that before.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Indeed. Sometimes known as "I've Got a Flower for Cooley Girl" (no relation to Cooley Girl). Reference from Chicago Vic Theater 2010.

SWG doesn't bother me too much as long as she doesn't also have Pretty Girl Syndrome. You know, the I'm really hot and therefore I do what I want no matter how rude I'm being girl. Generally younger although not always. Had a run in with one at 2014 Homecoming in Cooleyville. Explained the situation to her and wouldn't let her push past--eventually told her to "get lost" and she freaked and started screaming at me. Completely ignored her and everyone around was laughing at her and she eventually slithered away in shame. As Chris Knight says, Little Victories.

Edit: although from his posts I know that Mr. Arkansawyer is susceptible to PGS :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

SWG doesn't bother me too much as long as she doesn't also have Pretty Girl Syndrome. You know, the I'm really hot and therefore I do what I want no matter how rude I'm being girl. Generally younger although not always. Had a run in with one at 2014 Homecoming in Cooleyville. Explained the situation to her and wouldn't let her push past--eventually told her to "get lost" and she freaked and started screaming at me. Completely ignored her and everyone around was laughing at her and she eventually slithered away in shame. As Chris Knight says, Little Victories.

Edit: although from his posts I know that Mr. Arkansawyer is susceptible to PGS :D
Perceptive! I am really hot and I therefore do do what I want. ;-) It's a good life if you don't weaken.

P.S. In America, Pretty Girl Syndrome is susceptible to you!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

Cole Younger wrote:At night two in Athens this year, there was some guy down front who was going back and forth to the bar to get beers for...pretty much anybody who wanted him to whether he knew them or not as far as I could tell. On the one hand that is really generous. But also, this same guy kept coming back and forth needing to shove past everybody to get to whoever he had gone to get beer for. I mean it went on and on. At one point, phungi looked at me and dead panned, "that's a good service he provides." :lol: I still laugh about that every time I think about it. It really got annoying having to get out of that guy's way after a while.
I won't bring up names, but I learned that this gentleman is well known in DBT circles... I thought it was awesome, and believe the collective extra $0.50-$ 1.00 of those served earned him a beer of his own... that said, people were really pissed off thinking he was pushing his way to the front, and were equally confused when he asked them if they needed a beer.

On night 2 (?) of homecoming there was also "really sweaty heavy drunk dude who eventually puked but took 10 photos during every song and needed to show me each one while leaning on me for support"... he got on my nerves really quickly, but at least he was a happy drunk who kept his camera out of my face while taking photos...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Duke Silver wrote:I'll take Device Guy over Dangerously Drunk Guy, Disrespecter of Personal Space Guy, A $20 Ticket Gives Me the Right to Ruin Your Night Guy, and Sloppy Wasted Girl any day.
Me too, the devices are a minor annoyance compared to the types you mentioned. Especially Sloppy Wasted Girl/Guy who feels the need to carry on a loud conversation with f-bombs every other word.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

sorry for partying.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

On a semi related note, I miss raising lighters at the end of shows. I am glad that its early replacement, lighted cell phone screens, went away quickly though.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

phungi wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:At night two in Athens this year, there was some guy down front who was going back and forth to the bar to get beers for...pretty much anybody who wanted him to whether he knew them or not as far as I could tell. On the one hand that is really generous. But also, this same guy kept coming back and forth needing to shove past everybody to get to whoever he had gone to get beer for. I mean it went on and on. At one point, phungi looked at me and dead panned, "that's a good service he provides." :lol: I still laugh about that every time I think about it. It really got annoying having to get out of that guy's way after a while.
I won't bring up names, but I learned that this gentleman is well known in DBT circles... I thought it was awesome, and believe the collective extra $0.50-$ 1.00 of those served earned him a beer of his own... that said, people were really pissed off thinking he was pushing his way to the front, and were equally confused when he asked them if they needed a beer.

On night 2 (?) of homecoming there was also "really sweaty heavy drunk dude who eventually puked but took 10 photos during every song and needed to show me each one while leaning on me for support"... he got on my nerves really quickly, but at least he was a happy drunk who kept his camera out of my face while taking photos...
Ok that does sort of help me understand it a little better. I didn't realize this was just something he normally does. It seemed really random and odd.

I remember big, sweaty, drunk guy. The same night he kept sort of swaying back and forth and kind of hip checking me/stepping on my feet. Like you said, he was nice, just waaaaaay too drunk. Because he seemed like a nice person I didn't want to say anything to him about what he was doing but he did it so much that I ended up being slowly nudged out of my normal spot between Patterson and Cooley, all the way over to being almost directly in front of Jay. And as you know, I'm not a little guy so he was doing some pushing. It was just happening in really small increments. I finally had enough and said, "dude, don't push me again! That's enough of that!" He looked at me all puzzled. I repeated it. He gave a thumbs up and patted me on the shoulder and the. Wanted to shake hands. :x :lol: What do you do? I just said, "it's cool man just don't shove me again. I know you didn't do it on purpose." He didn't do it anymore but then he kept wanting to put an arm around me. Like you said, he was a happy drunk and that's better than the other kind.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:On a semi related note, I miss raising lighters at the end of shows. I am glad that its early replacement, lighted cell phone screens, went away quickly though.
Yeah that was lame.

John Cash's Suitcase

Post by John Cash's Suitcase »

Shouldn't have to put up with any of them. Either at The Rock Show or on The Road.

I fully support the OP. Put the phone down, watch/listen to the show and go home happy. Are you ever going to watch that piece of crap video you just ruined everyone else's night to take? No. Didn't think so.
25 cents shy

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

John Cash's Suitcase wrote: I fully support the OP. Put the phone down, watch/listen to the show and go home happy. Are you ever going to watch that piece of crap video you just ruined everyone else's night to take? No. Didn't think so.
Agreed. Stand quietly in one spot. Don't move. Talking will not be tolerated. Clap politely at the end of the song, but never DURING a song. Never remove eyes from the stage. After the encore you may quietly file out. Permission granted to go home happy.

On the other hand I much rather enjoy most DBT crowds...the almost on the edge of being out-of-control mass of humanity that is mostly drunk, singing along, and having a blast....which many times drives the band onto another level. Mostly usually seen at the 40 Watt, but I've seen it happen at The National in Richmond & the Orange Peel in Asheville as well. It is a RAWK SHOW not a classical recital for fuck's sake.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote: Agreed. Stand quietly in one spot. Don't move. Talking will not be tolerated. Clap politely at the end of the song, but never DURING a song. Never remove eyes from the stage. After the encore you may quietly file out. Permission granted to go home happy.
No one is saying any of this

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
John Cash's Suitcase wrote: I fully support the OP. Put the phone down, watch/listen to the show and go home happy. Are you ever going to watch that piece of crap video you just ruined everyone else's night to take? No. Didn't think so.
Agreed. Stand quietly in one spot. Don't move. Talking will not be tolerated. Clap politely at the end of the song, but never DURING a song. Never remove eyes from the stage. After the encore you may quietly file out. Permission granted to go home happy.

On the other hand I much rather enjoy most DBT crowds...the almost on the edge of being out-of-control mass of humanity that is mostly drunk, singing along, and having a blast....which many times drives the band onto another level. Mostly usually seen at the 40 Watt, but I've seen it happen at The National in Richmond & the Orange Peel in Asheville as well. It is a RAWK SHOW not a classical recital for fuck's sake.
I expect to see exactly what you're talking about at The Orange Peel, or The 40 Watt or in Chicago for that matter (always liked the Metro shows better but the Vic always was good on the band as well) and I've heard the same about the 9:30 Club and a few other venues I haven't been fortunate enough to see the band play. It's when that same drunk, singing along, edge of chaos feeling happens at some random show that it really amps it up a notch. This last stop here in Jackson was one of those. We didn't know what to expect. Crowds here are fickle, often late and drunken but not in the good "let's party" way but rather the "I'm smiling and laughing but I'm looking for an ass to kick" way. Not that night though. I mean sure the rail lookes like it could be the 40 Watt with so many usual suspects, but a look behind us showed a packed house and exactly what you described. There wasn't time to be pissed about cell phones or any of that shit because there was a motherfuckin' Rock Show happening and everyone knew it. That's when none of the other stuff matters.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wanna get drunk? Fine. Just don't be a rookie

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Wanna get drunk? Fine. Just don't be a rookie
Couldn't agree more. I think that's what I was saying. Act right, lock
in, if you occasionally shove your neighbor in your enthusiasm it's ok. Just don't be a dick. I think that's what all this is about. The overuse of devices is generally by narcissists who forget they're in a crowd. In short, assholes.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

No one likes a drunken "tough guy" asshole...or any other the other asshats described. The only point I'm making is it is a RAWK SHOW and people have fun different ways. As long as it doesn't totally ruin my night (and that's never happened at any of the hundreds of shows I've seen since the age of 14) I don't care what anyone else does. Perhaps I'm just more tolerant of those having a good time than some of you others. One thing I can tell you that I've seen over and over at DBT shows...people having the time of their lives...drinking, high-fiving, taking pictures, shooting a little video, singing along, pumping their fist, "dancing" (I use that term loosely) etc. and I'm totally fine with it!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Will a Hood/Cooley song morph out of this discussion???

"He took his I-phone to the show, but the folks on the forum told him, 'don't do that no 'mo!"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beaverdam wrote:Will a Hood/Cooley song morph out of this discussion???

"He took his I-phone to the show, but the folks on the forum told him, 'don't do that no 'mo!"
:lol: