Just gotta say it... put down the damn devices at shows

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

wordmeester

Just gotta say it... put down the damn devices at shows

Post by wordmeester »

With the understanding that I may sound like a geezer, is anyone else perturbed by the sheer number of folks who spend their nights at the Rock Show (DBT or otherwise) with their damn phones up in the air, taking pic after pic after pic and making their crappy little home videos, and putting a mechanical device between them and the intensity, thrill and connection of live music?

It ain't a photo shoot people, it's a damn Rock Show. While I can't be bothered and relive my experiences with bootlegs after the fact, I do understand a snap here and there. But when you become that obsessive jerk in front of me who stands in front of the seat I paid for (not that I'm sitting) and selfishly blocks my view endlessly, it makes me wanna' clock you and stuff that iPhone down your unconscious throat. Don't ask what I want to do to those who make friggin "selfies" with the band behind them all night!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. If I can convince one phone abuser to (as I tell my 14 yo daughter) "step away from device" that is turning too many people into Pavlovian dogs hooked on trivial blather and feeding marketing databases (and other more insidious profilers -- not sure which is worse), then my rant was worth it.

Zip City

Re: Just gotta say it... put down the damn devices at shows

Post by Zip City »

Honestly, I don't mind the picture taking. That's way down the list behind people simply not paying attention to the band at all (and having loud conversations throughout the show), people constantly leaving/coming back during the set, etc. The only phone-related behavior I find irritating are those who are so busy "sharing" their experience via text/facebook/twitter that they aren't really experiencing anything
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

It's 2015 fellas, those devices are here to stay. Taking pics and vids, jotting down setlists on your phone, sharing stuff on FB or twitter, etc, doesn't really bother me anymore. I think the fact that the bands themselves allow this behavior (or are pretty much helpless to stop it) means that it's pretty much accepted at this point. As longs as people don't block your view or cause a disruption in the show, phone use doesn't really bother me. I'm with Zip, people having conversations is a bigger faux pas.
If you don't run you rust

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I take pictures at the Rock Show and will continue to do so unless the artist specifically bans it. I'm also thrilled that others make audio and video recordings of shows I can't attend...and even those I do attend. I love when people post pictures of shows as well, especially high quality pictures.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'll use my phone to jot down set lists, but the screen brightness is turned way down and it only comes out between songs.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

The most egregious violation I've seen was at homecoming last year when Patterson had to stop the show to ask some clueless douchebag to turn off his flash while taking video with his phone. The guy had no idea and Patterson had to ask him about 5 times - starting very nicely and progressing to F bombs if I remember correctly - before getting his attention. Another violation is people taking pics and vids with fucking ipads and tablets.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Obviously technology changes but I don't think people change all that much. Listening to audience recordings from shows in the 70's you still hear all sorts of people talking and not paying attention, etc. The more interesting thing to me is that people used to light off fireworks at shows! That's aggressive.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Flea

Post by Flea »

Gaetzi wrote:Obviously technology changes but I don't think people change all that much. Listening to audience recordings from shows in the 70's you still hear all sorts of people talking and not paying attention, etc. The more interesting thing to me is that people used to light off fireworks at shows! That's aggressive.

There are better things to light at shows.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:The most egregious violation I've seen was at homecoming last year when Patterson had to stop the show to ask some clueless douchebag to turn off his flash while taking video with his phone. The guy had no idea and Patterson had to ask him about 5 times - starting very nicely and progressing to F bombs if I remember correctly - before getting his attention. Another violation is people taking pics and vids with fucking ipads and tablets.
What? Wow, I must have been really out of it lol. What night did this happen? I have zero memory of this.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

glad to say i don't own one of them fuckin' Ithingys. folks are too addicted to them and yeah, they annoy the shit outa me at shows also, wordmeester

Clams

Post by Clams »

brett27295 wrote:
Clams wrote:The most egregious violation I've seen was at homecoming last year when Patterson had to stop the show to ask some clueless douchebag to turn off his flash while taking video with his phone. The guy had no idea and Patterson had to ask him about 5 times - starting very nicely and progressing to F bombs if I remember correctly - before getting his attention. Another violation is people taking pics and vids with fucking ipads and tablets.
What? Wow, I must have been really out of it lol. What night did this happen? I have zero memory of this.
Last year, 2014, not sure which night

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I really see both sides of this debate. I see people taking pictures and videos incessantly at shows and roll my eyes, then I catch myself doing it.

I think that there's a lot to be said for living in the moment and appreciating the show, but then I can't think of anything (at least not attained through legal means) which makes a rough Monday morning better, than watching an old concert video from a great weekend on my phone. The pictures are ok, but I really like taking videos, and the technology on the phones is actually so good that the videos sound pretty great! A good video can take me back to the concert experience!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote: Last year, 2014, not sure which night
We did miss the Thursday show that year due to snow.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I blame jonicont
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

After being shamed by a look of scorn from Mavis Staples 4 or 5 years ago I've established a set of rules for myself. I will take a picture or two, usually early but if there's something noteworthy later I might take another, and I will take a setlist but try to make sure the phone is away by the next song. Once in a great while I might respond to a text or a FB message from someone who is asking about the show. Frankly just being mindful of the disruption helps. No one is perfect but if we're all trying to be respectful the experience will be better.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

phungi

Post by phungi »

amen, TC! of course, the day after a show, I am mucho-appreciative of those who shot videos so that I can watch... oh, the duality of the aging thing!

that said, if you are going to record a show, get a monopod, a stereo recorder, and keep it below eye level... if you "must" record video, turn your screen brightness down as far as possible (or even block the screen), and keep the device no higher than eye level...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The thing I find amusing is watching people who are, say, 20 feet from a band, experience a particular song or moment through the tiny screen on his or her cell phone while ignoring the band. What are you doing?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Markalanbishop wrote:The thing I find amusing is watching people who are, say, 20 feet from a band, experience a particular song or moment through the tiny screen on his or her cell phone while ignoring the band. What are you doing?
It's an old rant heard many times but the last time I saw Chris Knight, it was an acoustic duo show at the Berkeley in Raleigh. Most everyone were on their cellphones either texting or chatting the entire night. Some were even in the front row with their backs to him engaging in this behavior. The chatter was pervasive as there were also plenty of people chatting amongst themselves as though no one was even on stage. Like others have said, I have no problem with a few photos or videos here and there as long as you're respectful of other folks (as I do the same thing) but to behave as though no one is even on the stage performing? I'm afraid I just don't get that. Why pay 15 fucking dollars just to talk or cellphone your way through the entire show? A few years ago, when someone one in the front row kept hollering out "I LOOOOOVE YOU CHRIS KNIGHT!!" between every song at the Hideaway BBQ, he finally had enough of it and told her that he "heard her the first five fucking times". She was so embarrassed I thought she would slither under her table. As for why Chris didn't call out members of the audience at that Berkeley show is beyond me. My guess is, he gave up and let the terrorists win. Not saying I'll never go see him again but I'd honestly be hard pressed to. I love him but can't stand his audience. What a bunch of rude and disrespectful motherfuckers.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well, here I go.

I'm an old man in a young man's body so take this for whatever it's worth. I'm with Cooley on cell phones. I understand that they aren't going away. I just don't understand why people are so addicted to them and can't bring themselves to turn them off or at least leave them in their pocket when something truly special is going on right in front of them. Taking pictures doesn't bother me nor does videoing. But the texting during shows makes me want to throw something. A member here, who i willnot name, as he may not want to be named, did something that I thought was great at Homecoming this year. It was deep into the set. The boys had kicked things into a higher gear and were just killing it. Some guy was standing in front of us having himself a text-a-thon. It was getting on my nerves but I was still hoping the guy would stop. Finally, my unnamed 3ddner said to him rather loudly, "dude will you quit with the texting? What the fuck? There's a great rock show going on right in front of you. I'm just sayin, some of us are here for the show and it's distracting." 8-)

These shit machines (Cooleyism) bug me because people seem to have no judgement about them. My sister and brother in law come over to our house to visit and both of them Sit there and stare at their cell phones the entire time. After they leave, one of us will be on facebook and see where they've posted all these happy messages about where they were and how much they enjoyed visiting us. And I. Thinking, "you stared at your phone the entire time." We have these means to remain connected with each other and the result seems to be that often people don't connect at all.

Back to the real topic though, the texting is far more annoying than picture taking. And to Kudzu's point, I saw Chris Knight about two years ago and while I didn't see anywhere near the level of that behavior that he describes, I also didn't see Chris being nearly as tolerant of rude behavior from his fans in general. When people would yell things out at inappropriate times, while he was telling a story for example, he would embarrass them.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:We have these means to remain connected with each other and the result seems to be that often people don't connect at all.
You nailed it. I'm sure I've posted this before but Sherry Turkle has written a wonderful book on this topic called Alone Together (video below). For the longest time, I didn't have a cellphone and held out until I absolutely had to have one following Hurricane Ophelia in 2005. A year or so ago, I bought an iPhone. As a Mac person, I love it. The downside being the amount of time I spend on it. I may not use it to interact or to text all that much but I do tend to check it far too often. Just last night I was out to dinner and realized I'd left my phone in my car. I had some books with me so I let the iPhone be. I really need to start doing that a lot more often.

Cole Younger wrote:Back to the real topic though, the texting is far more annoying than picture taking. And to Kudzu's point, I saw Chris Knight about two years ago and while I didn't see anywhere near the level of that behavior that he describes, I also didn't see Chris being nearly as tolerant of rude behavior from his fans in general. When people would yell things out at inappropriate times, while he was telling a story for example, he would embarrass them.
Hate that he has to do that but good to know. Maybe the last time I saw him he was just having an off night or else the amount of asshattery was just too much for him to bear without completely losing it.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote: "dude will you quit with the texting? What the fuck? There's a great rock show going on right in front of you. I'm just sayin, some of us are here for the show and it's distracting."

You really need to out this person, so that she or he may receive accolades from the rest of the class.
Now it's dark.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

My own rule, since I'm usually railbirding and I don't want to distract literally everyone behind me, is I take a few "burst" pictures if something visually cool is happening (so the screen doesn't flash each time) and then put the phone away. I'll drag it out to take a few more pics during the night, especially if Patterson is reaching out into the audience or something, but I paid all that money - plane, hotel, tickets, drinks - to see a Rock Show and I wanna see a Rock Show.

I text exactly once during every rock show, to tell my ride that the encore is beginning and it's time to start thinking about picking me up. Other than that, NO.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:My sister and brother in law come over to our house to visit and both of them Sit there and stare at their cell phones the entire time. After they leave, one of us will be on facebook and see where they've posted all these happy messages about where they were and how much they enjoyed visiting us. And I. Thinking, "you stared at your phone the entire time."
So my mom turned ninety-seven earlier this month and the daughter and I went up to see her. She was in a very good place that day, the nurse had told me on the phone, chatty and happy and (this part is less usual for her) wanting to visit with the other residents.

When we got there, she was sure enough in a wheeled recliner out in one of the public areas. She looked good, too, for ninety-seven. And about five minutes after we got there, two of my cousins who live nearby and their partners showed up with cake and ice cream and cameras. My mom enjoyed it until she got tired, and hurting a little, from sitting up too long. My cousins were still in picture taking mode, and it took me a minute to get through to them (just like it'd taken a minute for it to get through to me, except it seemed to me that I caught on quicker) that my mom was actually needing to lie down.

So I guess I'm saying this was as true in the days of film--that's what my cousin brought--as it is in the big loud now of digital media. Or maybe just, "There is nothing new under the sun."

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:The thing I find amusing is watching people who are, say, 20 feet from a band, experience a particular song or moment through the tiny screen on his or her cell phone while ignoring the band. What are you doing?
It's an old rant heard many times but the last time I saw Chris Knight, it was an acoustic duo show at the Berkeley in Raleigh. Most everyone were on their cellphones either texting or chatting the entire night. Some were even in the front row with their backs to him engaging in this behavior. The chatter was pervasive as there were also plenty of people chatting amongst themselves as though no one was even on stage. Like others have said, I have no problem with a few photos or videos here and there as long as you're respectful of other folks (as I do the same thing) but to behave as though no one is even on the stage performing? I'm afraid I just don't get that. Why pay 15 fucking dollars just to talk or cellphone your way through the entire show? A few years ago, when someone one in the front row kept hollering out "I LOOOOOVE YOU CHRIS KNIGHT!!" between every song at the Hideaway BBQ, he finally had enough of it and told her that he "heard her the first five fucking times". She was so embarrassed I thought she would slither under her table. As for why Chris didn't call out members of the audience at that Berkeley show is beyond me. My guess is, he gave up and let the terrorists win. Not saying I'll never go see him again but I'd honestly be hard pressed to. I love him but can't stand his audience. What a bunch of rude and disrespectful motherfuckers.
Yeah that's what I do man. I pretty much always have a book in my truck anyway. So if I'm in a situation where I'm somewhere waiting and I'm alone, I just read. Of course I don't even own a cell phone that has Internet capability. Some butt muffin made fun of me recently saying, "I didn't know anybody still had a flip phone. Wow." I just told him that I didn't feel like I was missing anything.

As for Chris Knight, he probably had just had all he could take that night, and generally was just fed up with rudeness at his shows. I once saw his audience described as the "cammo hat and spit cup crowd" which I loved. Heck, that's me, lol, but I've long heard his audience described as rude. You probably just saw one of his first efforts at cleaning that up. I generally don't like it when artists get nasty with fans. But I realize there comes a time when they have to say something. The night that I saw him, the audience was generally pretty good, but there was a little bit of yelling things out at the wrong time. At one point, he was telling the audience that his new record (Little Victories hadn't been out that long) was on sale at the merch table. Some girl had been yelling for North Dakota after every song, while he was talking about the new record she yelled it out and he said, "I've heard you young lady and it's back there at the merch table too." :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
Cole Younger wrote: "dude will you quit with the texting? What the fuck? There's a great rock show going on right in front of you. I'm just sayin, some of us are here for the show and it's distracting."

You really need to out this person, so that she or he may receive accolades from the rest of the class.
Lol. I can't believe he hasn't read this and come forward by now.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
8-)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I attended probably 35 shows from various bands over the past year or so. The only thing that bothered me at any of those shows was Pork Pie Hat Guy at the 2014 Homecoming, and it had nothing to do with a phone. Maybe I'm just laid back but I could care less if someone is texting during a show. I'm usually so into a show that I wouldn't notice if someone is texting or not. Then again I'm usually up at the rail or near it so it's certainly possible that "phone issues" are more prevalent further back.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

brett27295 wrote:Pork Pie Hat Guy at the 2014 Homecoming
In a class by himself: Amazingly disruptive but in such a happy mood that he was there all weekend long without (I think) getting thrown out.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Flea wrote:

There are better things to light at shows.
Agree with Flea!!!!! :D