Film: Acoustic with Patterson Hood - Network 4.13.15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Film: Acoustic with Patterson Hood - Network 4.13.15

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The Modern School of Film and the Carolina Theatre of Durham in Association with Guitartown Present Film: Acoustic with Patterson Hood of Drive-By Truckers. Patterson will be screening Network on Monday, April 13th at 7 pm. Tickets on sale Thursday at 10 AM. More info here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Film: Acoustic with Patterson Hood - Network 4.13.15

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cool stuff here!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Any chance Patterson does a solo show while he's in town? If not, is there a venue that could put something together? That would be absolutely awesome... a little warm up before the Dirt Underneath Tour. Here's hoping!

And if he somehow showed up to play a few songs with James McMurtry the next night at Southland Ballroom, I would absolutely soil my shorts. I don't know if there's any relationship between Patterson and James, but it just seems like two of the best songwriters alive should get together at some point.

Kudzu Guillotine

09Gamecock wrote:Any chance Patterson does a solo show while he's in town? If not, is there a venue that could put something together? That would be absolutely awesome... a little warm up before the Dirt Underneath Tour. Here's hoping!

And if he somehow showed up to play a few songs with James McMurtry the next night at Southland Ballroom, I would absolutely soil my shorts. I don't know if there's any relationship between Patterson and James, but it just seems like two of the best songwriters alive should get together at some point.
The thought has crossed my mind on both counts. James has an opener (Max Gomez) so I didn't even explore having him added to that bill. Marianne Taylor, who's putting on that show, runs a tight ship as far as weekday shows in regards to having them start early and end early so, while it would certainly make for a kick ass bill, I don't think it would work time-wise. I believe the ideal locale for Patterson would be the new Back Room at Cat's Cradle but it's booked on Tuesday night. Plus, he would be up against McMurtry, who's playing in Raleigh the same night. It's free on Wednesday but is Patterson gonna want to stick around the Triangle for three days just to play a show, especially when the tour is set to resume on April 17th? If anyone in the area wants to reach out to some of the area clubs and have them contact Patterson's booking agent, have at it. I normally would as I'd obviously love a solo show as well but I'm afraid the timing just isn't right for this one. I haven't double-checked since the other day but I believe some potential open slots would be the Back Room (Wednesday), the ArtsCenter (where he played a couple years ago), Motorco in Durham and the Pour House in Raleigh.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Which day are the Truckers playing the festival in Knoxville? What about something Sunday night in Raleigh? I've emailed Marianne Taylor a few times before inquiring about different bands, but she never seems to respond. Southland would be perfect for Patterson, but even somewhere like the Pour House or Deep South would be fun. Slim's is probably just be too small, although that would be super intimate. Especially if it's just him and his guitar(s), there are tons of options. It would be really awesome if something could be worked out. I may try to talk to a manager at a few of these venues while I'm out this weekend. It's worth at least trying.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Interesting choice of a film and I am curious to hear what Patterson has to say about it.

Patterson often surprises me. From his music I would expect him to be a big outlaw country fan but he is more likely to be listening to Big Star than Red Headed Stranger. With film I would expect a heavier drama set in the south -- perhaps The Last Picture Show. Artists draw their inspiration from diverse and often unpredictable sources.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

If any y'all are not yet members of Guitartown, the fine folks at the Modern School of Film and the Carolina Theatre in Durham are offering an exclusive discount to Guitartown members only for Film: Acoustic with Frank Black screening Brazil on Thursday, March 19th at 7 pm at the Carolina Theatre. It's just been announced that Frank Black will be performing live following the screening. If you haven't done so already, you can find Guitartown on Yahoo Groups, Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned as we will also have some cool stuff in store for Patterson's screening of Network at the Carolina Theatre on Monday, April 13th at 7 pm as well. If you're not already familiar with Guitartown, you can learn more about us via this story Candid Slice did on our 15th anniversary last year. Cool new poster art for the Patterson screening below.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Didn't you kind of get the ball rolling on this Kudzu? Nice job.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Cole Younger wrote:Didn't you kind of get the ball rolling on this Kudzu? Nice job.
Thanks. When I saw Lucinda Williams discuss and perform a few songs inspired by Wise Blood (based on the Flannery O' Connor novel) during an earlier installment of Film: Acoustic I couldn't help but think how wonderful of a guest Patterson would make. When I got home I contacted the Modern School of Film with my suggestion. That they decided to partner with Guitartown was the icing on the cake. Nothing against Network but I was also thrown off by this but a huge part of this film series is re-examining movies you thought you knew inside and out. Repo Man is a prime example, watching it in a theatre with a live audience reacting to it was a totally new experience for most of us there since it was only in theatres (originally) for a limited time as it bombed at the box office.

Kudzu Guillotine

Quote from Patterson from his latest Word from the Hood:
On April 13th, I will be hosting a screening of one of my all time favorite films. The Modern School of Film and The Carolina Theatre in Association with Guitartown Present Film: Acoustic with Patterson Hood. I first saw "Network" when it first came out and have seen it at least 20 times since. It's one of my Top 5 All Time Favorite Movies. Probably some of the finest screenwriting of all time. Brutal, hilarious, irreverent, and unfortunately more timely than ever.

When it came out in 1976, it was considered a farce, but most of what it predicted has since come true. Fox News, reality TV, corporate takeovers and a populace that is "Mad As Hell!". It's all there, and then some. It won a bunch of Oscars and should have won Best Picture. I'll host and talk about it, show it on a big screen and maybe even play a couple of songs.

Don't Miss!

Otto Parts

Post by Otto Parts »

I wasn't able to make it to the Film Acoustic thing last week. Did PH have anything particularly profound to say? What songs did he play?

I did go to the previous three - Lucinda/Wise Blood, Neko Case & Mike Nesmith/Repo Man (that was great), and Frank Black/Brazil.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Otto Parts wrote:I wasn't able to make it to the Film Acoustic thing last week. Did PH have anything particularly profound to say? What songs did he play?

I did go to the previous three - Lucinda/Wise Blood, Neko Case & Mike Nesmith/Repo Man (that was great), and Frank Black/Brazil.
Not the derail the thread but I would loved to have seen that. Repo Man has a great 80's alternative rock soundtrack and Mike Nesmith certanly knows plenty about underground film.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Otto Parts

Post by Otto Parts »

Not the derail the thread but I would loved to have seen that. Repo Man has a great 80's alternative rock soundtrack and Mike Nesmith certanly knows plenty about underground film.
Mike Nesmith was fascinating. Lots to say about Repo Man of course, making indie films in general, the Monkees film "Head", his takes on music and art and pop culture, etc. Obviously a very smart guy who knows lots about the entertainment biz.