Too many seats open at Tarrytown!!!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

wordmeester

Too many seats open at Tarrytown!!!

Post by wordmeester »

Got my second row tix weeks ago, but when I last checked there were still way to many open seats in what is an intimate venue. NY-NJ-CT fans of DBT, it's time to make a stand and get your butts to the Rock Show! :evil:

Whispering Pines

Re: Too many seats open at Tarrytown!!!

Post by Whispering Pines »

I'm coming down from Woodstock for the rock show at the same theater where I'd go to Saturday afternoon matinees as a kid. Out of curiosity, I checked to see how other shows over the next week were selling in comparison to the Truckers. A Jimmy Vaughan show appears to be selling less than the Truckers, but in a revolting (to me) development, George Thorogood has essentially sold the joint out. In any event, coming out of a long, cold winter-- it's going to be in the high-'40s on Wednesday!-- I can't think of a better way to welcome the spring than seeing the Truckers for (and I know this will impress nobody here) the 22d time.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

George Throrogood is one of those guys to me that is essentially bulletproof from criticism. He's earned everything he's got, and played with the same rhythm section for 40 years.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tyler wrote:and played with the same rhythm section for 40 years.

He's also played the same set list (mostly covers) and recited the same banter for 40 years.

But hell, if he sells tickets and folks have a good time...
Beebs is not a ragey man

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

City people don't usually go to the suburbs for shows. And the suburbs usually do well with "oldies acts" so I'm not surprised Thorogood sold out.

Anyhow, those of you who have seen DBT at Tarrytown before, what's the "seating policy"? Do they allow fans to stand, or must all remain seated? I've been to many shows there, but twice they've announced it is OK to swarm the stage and stand up front - that was for Old 97s, and Robert Randolph.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I think it is something they play by ear. I think we started out standing at our seats but at some point swarmed the stage. We took our cue from the ushers & eased into it. We'll see what happens this time.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Anybody have a good extra for Tarrytown? I hate seated shows.
Three guitars or a life of crime

angryandy

Post by angryandy »

I share the concern about seated shows. I passed on Tarrytown a few years ago for that very reason. Fortunately, things went OK at the Beacon in the fall. Most people stood up and danced during the show. Some opted to sit but did not give those standing a hard time (at least not in my section). I hope for a similiar experience Wednesday night.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Does anyone know of a good place to meet up before the show for food and drink?

Only 2 days until the show!

:-)
Last edited by Bill in CT on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I asked a local at another board for preshow ideas and this is what he said.

Food recs:

lefteris gyro: 2 doors away and GREAT greek food. this is our go to for greek

http://www.lefterisgyro.com/Default.aspx?location=LF1

Horsefeathers: great burgers here. 5 mins walk north on broadway

http://www.horsefeathersny.com

bridge view tavern: bridgeviewtavern.com great beers and food...not walking distance, but a very short drive

sweetgrass grill: decent farm to table type place, across the street

mr nicks pizza is decent, on broadway just north of main st

chinese food a block west of the venue.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

I know I'm in the minority in regards to the issue of the importance of standing at a Trucker shows, but from the first time I saw the band from amidst a sweaty crowd at Irving Plaza in NYC, I was looking forward to seeing them in theaters with superior sound and sight lines. To not go to a show because it is seated (no matter that most people end up standing in front of their seats anyway) seems to me to not just ignore the dictum to 'always go to the show,' but also contributes to a fan-club sensibility that can conspire to make it more difficult for the Truckers to grow beyond their substantial bar-and-ballroom cult audience. And I'm not just being sympathetic to my vertically-challenged wife, but reacting to plenty of contemporaries (read: old guys) who just don't get the appeal of going to a show and standing up for three or four hours. That said, come Wednesday night, I'll be (presumably standing) in row F.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

CooleyGirl wrote:I think it is something they play by ear. I think we started out standing at our seats but at some point swarmed the stage. We took our cue from the ushers & eased into it. We'll see what happens this time.

Thank you, good to know.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Does anyone know if there is an opener? Also, is 8 the doors time or show time?

I'm trying to help mrs. 'snaps figure out when she has to leave work tomorrow. Thanks.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Whispering Pines wrote:I know I'm in the minority in regards to the issue of the importance of standing at a Trucker shows, but from the first time I saw the band from amidst a sweaty crowd at Irving Plaza in NYC, I was looking forward to seeing them in theaters with superior sound and sight lines.

I'm to the age now where I enjoy sitting at arena shows (though I rarely attend them any more). However, I hate sitting at DBT shows. There's something about a DBT show where I have to be up front and rocking along with the band. Strangely enough DBT is one of the few bands I feel this way about. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

No opener. Not sure about the door time
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

brett27295 wrote:
Whispering Pines wrote:I know I'm in the minority in regards to the issue of the importance of standing at a Trucker shows, but from the first time I saw the band from amidst a sweaty crowd at Irving Plaza in NYC, I was looking forward to seeing them in theaters with superior sound and sight lines.

I'm to the age now where I enjoy sitting at arena shows (though I rarely attend them any more). However, I hate sitting at DBT shows. There's something about a DBT show where I have to be up front and rocking along with the band. Strangely enough DBT is one of the few bands I feel this way about. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

I'm fine with sitting at a Dirt Underneath or similar show by another artist. I don't like sitting for a show that is mostly rock songs though. That's why the Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit show at the Beacon last month was so strange to me with everyone sitting down. I'm glad that the area in front of the stage at Jason's show at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester NY in May will be GA standing. Last year I attended two DBT shows with crowds that mostly wanted to sit - Wichita KS and Tampa FL. Those shows didn't have the same excitement as a typical DBT show.
There are lots of older folks at Rush and Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band shows but fans typically stand at those shows which I enjoy.
The Pearl Jam audience has gotten much older but most people still stand for the whole show.

angryandy

Post by angryandy »

There will be differences of opinion on how to enjoy a rock concert (seated vs. standing). The best compromise that I can think of is booking the band into theaters like the Capitol (Port Chester, NY) or Wellmont (Montclair, NJ) that feature an open floor and seated balcony. That way everybody wins.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Can't make the gig due to I have to go to Huntsville Alabama for work- :x - Single 3rd row aisle Cooleyville ticket at face.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

3DD is the best. You will surely be missed though.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Enjoy Sterling - rock out in Colleyville for me....Maybe Patterson and friends will play "Putting people On The Moon"! -

wordmeester

Post by wordmeester »

I am admittedly an "old" guy (53 in May -- holy crap, that number's ugly to look at) and I have neuropathy in my feet leftover from chemo in 2006 -- but I stand for DBT every chance I get. The pain that follows in my feet and legs is a small price to pay for a damn fine Rock Show. We're in a World of Hurt anyway and hell, that's what pain killers are for!

I'm bringing my bro-in-law to his first DBT show. We'll be in the second row right getting blasted -- the venue warns us that those in our seat locations may experience higher volume levels -- damn, we better. Bring it Cooley... make that guitar wail at me! I'll be ready.

I've stood through shows by The Stones (1995, 1999), The Who (1979, 1982), The Clash (1982), Springsteen (1983, 1984, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013), REM (1984, 1995, 2004) and many others -- and the Truckers have earned that same respect. DBT work hard and so should the audience!!!

I did sit through a Billy Joel show once. I was just trying to get laid, instead I got screwed -- right in the ears ... :twisted:

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

It sounds like folks are meeting up here before the show:

Horsefeathers: great burgers here. 5 mins walk north on broadway

http://www.horsefeathersny.com

All are welcome to come. We'll be getting there at different times, but sounds like the first wave of folks will be there between 5 & 6, depending on traffic.

See you tonight, and safe travels to all!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

wordmeester wrote:I did sit through a Billy Joel show once. I was just trying to get laid, instead I got screwed -- right in the ears ... :twisted:
LJ would give you the Joni Ernst treatment if he was still around.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Change of plans: Horsefeathers is a no go. We're at Little B's, same side of the street as the venue.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Wednesday
3 Dimes Down
Sinkhole
Sounds Better in the Song
Box of Spiders
Uncle Frank
Pauline Hawkins
Made Up English Oceans
The Righteous Path
Women Without Whiskey
Dead Drunk and Naked-->
Guitar Man Upstairs
18 Wheels of Love
Marry Me
(Something's Got to) Give Pretty Soon
First Air of Autumn
A World of Hurt
Shit Shots Count
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Tonight's the Night
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

They rocked the fuck outta Tarrytown tonight
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:They rocked the fuck outta Tarrytown tonight
Wednesday. Nice. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jordanbeck

Post by jordanbeck »

They certainly did!

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Indeed! What a set list; what a show.

DD&N 2002

Post by DD&N 2002 »

Have to agree, Tarrytown rocked the Rock Show. They were very tight song to song and i assume that reflects the shorter set they are able to play as opener so tonight they just cut loose in An Evening with DBT fashion, themselves with no opener. Got my beloved handle - - Dead Drunk and Naked, and thought it was the best among their recent visits to the tri-state.