DBT's 20th Anniversary 2016

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

DBT's 20th Anniversary 2016

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Well, people are already talking about the next series of Homecoming concerts so I figured what the hell.

What do y'all think the DBT's will have up their sleeve for this one? A box set? Live comp? Rarities tour (sorta what they're doing now)? Southern Rock Opera performed in it's entirety? Let's hear it.

Wolf

Re: DBT's 20th Anniversary 2016

Post by Wolf »

an "all covers" show

Flea

Post by Flea »

Wolf wrote:an "all covers" show

I'd like to see Cooley take vocals on "Dancing Queen".
Now it's dark.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Dexateens/DBT at red rocks is on my wish list for this
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

As far as some sort of commemorative release I'd love to see them do something like Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot that's nothing but rare studio and live cuts. I'd much rather bands release collections like that than constantly re-releasing individual albums (or comps) with previously unreleased material.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'd love an official release of Adams House Cat "Town Burned Down" on cd/vinyl.
I'd love to have a rarities/unreleased collection from the pre-DD era.
I'd love some full shows from AAW, if those tapes still exist.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Hud wrote:Dexateens/DBT at red rocks is on my wish list for this

I'm laying out my tarp as I type this.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

They should do an antiquated, mail order type system for purchasing tickets.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Gaetzi wrote:They should do an antiquated, mail order type system for purchasing tickets.

Extra points if your Wes Freed imitation on the envelope gets your order held by the postal inspectors for investigation of Overly American Weirdness.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

All-star celebrity tribute concert featuring Eric Church, Kings of Leon, and Eye Candy.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Duke Silver wrote:All-star celebrity tribute concert featuring Eric Church, Kings of Leon, and Eye Candy.

Chevy Chase must MC. Or Kanye.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Some ideas...

It's also the 15th anniversary of a certain album.... SRO on ICE needs to happen
Re-press of the original B&D/9B single?
A rarities release would be cool, but after TFP I'm not sure how much is in the vaults if we're holding a higher standard than just alternate takes.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:A rarities release would be cool, but after TFP I'm not sure how much is in the vaults if we're holding a higher standard than just alternate takes.

If memory serves, that Airplane Screams comp Smitty posted some time ago had a good deal of unreleased stuff on it that hasn't seen the light of day anywhere else. Plus, there's always songs in the vault the general public simply isn't aware of.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

An album of all new material that is an instant classic, recognized as such by fans, critics and the broader public.

And a living room concert at my house.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tyler wrote:A rarities release would be cool, but after TFP I'm not sure how much is in the vaults if we're holding a higher standard than just alternate takes.

If memory serves, that Airplane Screams comp Smitty posted some time ago had a good deal of unreleased stuff on it that hasn't seen the light of day anywhere else. Plus, there's always songs in the vault the general public simply isn't aware of.

Airplane Screams is mostly audience recordings of rare lives songs from DBT & solo shows. If they have studio recordings of those songs, or even professional live recordings many of those rarities would make a great comp. Though I'm sure only diehards like us would be interested.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Kudzu Guillotine

If the Truckers were to do a box set of rarities they would obviously want it to sell but if Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot isn't aimed squarely at the diehards, I'm not sure who the target audience is. I guess it boils down to what all they have in the vault.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

brett27295 wrote:I'd love an official release of Adams House Cat "Town Burned Down" on cd/vinyl.

dbt posted this "adams house cat reunion" pic on facebook just now

id love an official release of that album too

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

thats a good sign

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

All I want is a studio recording of "White Knuckle West Virginia," and maybe their cover of "Hey Ya." And a brand-new album of all new material.

The thing I really want is too controversial to say.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The 20th Anniversary should be awesome.

Much of this thread is about what DBT should do to commemorate their 20th anniversary. But what are some things we, the fans, could do for The Truckers and their crew to commemorate this milestone? At Homecoming these past few years the fans have made donations to Nuci's Space. Maybe something special along those lines.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RevMatt wrote:The 20th Anniversary should be awesome.

Much of this thread is about what DBT should do to commemorate their 20th anniversary. But what are some things we, the fans, could do for The Truckers and their crew to commemorate this milestone? At Homecoming these past few years the fans have made donations to Nuci's Space. Maybe something special along those lines.
What going to the show and buying the merch isn't enough? Don't get me wrong i support Nuci's but c'mon man!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

bovine knievel wrote:

What going to the show and buying the merch isn't enough? Don't get me wrong i support Nuci's but c'mon man!
Then why should DBT put out something special for the fans to commemorate their 20th anniversary? Touring 25 weeks out of the year and recording a new album when the songs are ready isn't enough?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RevMatt wrote:Touring 25 weeks out of the year and recording a new album when the songs are ready isn't enough?
It's enough for me.

As for something special, I don't think it needs to be a special release but would hope for some special shows. Maybe perform SRO in its entirety. Or in a dream world, they could do a residency in major cities and perform a few albums a night, working through their entire catalog over the nights of the residency.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

Then why should DBT put out something special for the fans to commemorate their 20th anniversary? Touring 25 weeks out of the year and recording a new album when the songs are ready isn't enough?
Without the rabid fan support, this band doesn't make it to 20 years. Why would the fans owe the band something g and not the other way around?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

The band doesn't owe the fans anything. I mainly started this thread as a way of discussing what types of things they might do to commemorate the occasion. Part of that could be the fans rewarding them for how well they've treated us, I see no problem with that. Oops, I believe I've just agreed with the Rev. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Without the rabid fan support, this band doesn't make it to 20 years. Why would the fans owe the band something g and not the other way around?
It's absolutely a symbiotic relationship and I'm not sure there more than a dozen or so bands with anything close with their fans. Whatever happens in 2016 for the anniversary the fun will be what the band does and what the fans do. Homecoming is a living embodiment of that already so why would a anniversary celebration be different?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Without the rabid fan support, this band doesn't make it to 20 years. Why would the fans owe the band something g and not the other way around?
It's absolutely a symbiotic relationship and I'm not sure there more than a dozen or so bands with anything close with their fans. Whatever happens in 2016 for the anniversary the fun will be what the band does and what the fans do. Homecoming is a living embodiment of that already so why would a anniversary celebration be different?
To be clear, I'm not saying the band owes US anything. I'm just confused as to why anyone would think the opposite is true. Symbiotic is a good word to use, and DBT has provided more for its fans than many other bands. I guess I'm just confused as to why RevMatt thinks that the people who already give a ton of time, money and support to the band need to step it up for the 20th anniversary? Or maybe I'm misreading his intent?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I didn't say give the band extra money or something like buying two tickets but only go to one show. Just commemorate the anniversary in our own way. Something different. Something fun. Something initiated by the fans, not the other way around.

drjayhow

Post by drjayhow »

This is well in advance, but I'm that kinda guy. Is there a 3dd package or some such so I can be assured of getting 3 nights worth of tix? Next year would b my first one and I'm not sure how all this works. Sounds too good to be missed. FNW not far from me, I may kidnap him and drag him along. Thanks for assisting the newb

Drjay

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RevMatt wrote:I didn't say give the band extra money or something like buying two tickets but only go to one show. Just commemorate the anniversary in our own way. Something different. Something fun. Something initiated by the fans, not the other way around.
Actually...if we picked the right show in the right spot--a city in the center of the country with an airline hub--and all bought two or three or many extra tickets, then worked our friends and acquaintance lists near that show till we'd given every one of those tickets away, we could OWN that show.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be