How young is too young?-The Dirt Underneath

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

northwest trucker

How young is too young?-The Dirt Underneath

Post by northwest trucker »

So really excited for this show, 2nd row center at the Moore in Seattle. This is where I have a question, my 8 year old son is a huge Truckers fan and has always wanted to see a show. I always promised him if they did a record store performance we would go, and I kinda brought this up to him and he was real excited. I know it would be a different experience for me, no drinking, no smoking, have to be responsible haha. What do you think? Too loud if they play some electric? Has anyone ever seen/taken someone that young to a show like this? Irresponsible parent for taking my child to a rawk show? haha... any advice or input appreciated. haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'll definitely be there :P

Zip City

Re: How young is too young?-The Dirt Underneath

Post by Zip City »

I'd think this would be about as "safe" a show you'd get for DBT. Seated, less drinking, etc. You can't really shield them from the swearing (on or off stage), but that's true for many bands.

I've brought one of my kids to two shows (not DBT) and both kids are coming to a few shows this year
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I took my kids to Ziggy's last summer to see DBT and they had a fantastic time, but they're older...12 and 14. With that being said I would have taken them at age 8 to a seated show.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

northwest trucker wrote:So really excited for this show, 2nd row center at the Moore in Seattle. This is where I have a question, my 8 year old son is a huge Truckers fan and has always wanted to see a show. I always promised him if they did a record store performance we would go, and I kinda brought this up to him and he was real excited. I know it would be a different experience for me, no drinking, no smoking, have to be responsible haha. What do you think? Too loud if they play some electric? Has anyone ever seen/taken someone that young to a show like this? Irresponsible parent for taking my child to a rawk show? haha... any advice or input appreciated. haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet, but I'll definitely be there :P

Right about when my daughter turned eleven, we went to the Hood/Cooley/Isbell show last summer. She enjoyed it. The only part that was too loud for her was when the crowd was calling for a encore, which was way too loud for her, which I thought was kind of funny. I'd spring for some good ear plugs, in case.

I'm thinking about taking her to one or two of the TDU 2015 shows with me. If she doesn't, I'll have a good seat right next to me (yes, I know) for a couple of shows for someone who didn't get theirs.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:You can't really shield them from the swearing (on or off stage), but that's true for many school buses.

Fixed that for you. ;-)

UPDATE: It just occurred to me that when we got to Florence later than we'd planned for that show and I was using TC's smart phone (I have a dumb phone) to get SCRedhead's number from my PMs on 3DD and I was panicking, I said, "Fuck fuck fuck," right in front of her. "Daddy," she said, "you said a bad word."

On the way home, I told her about one of my two great teachers, John Clellon Holmes, whose first novel, Go, is mandatory reading for those who want to know about the Beat Generation, being the lightly fictionalized story of himself, Kerouac, Ginsberg, and the whole crowd as young writers striving in Manhattan. After something particularly crappy happens, one of the characters says, "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." When the novel was in the pipeline, the editor thought that was excessive and possibly prosecutable and bluepenciled the whole thing. They ended up compromising on "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

John always (when I knew him, which was decades later) found that funny and absurd and now I know where the other three Fucks went. Wish I could tell him!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Bringing children to concerts is tricky. If they want to leave at any point before the end of the show it is pretty much the end of your night. When my youngest was 15 I took him to the Halloween show in Richmond. Including encores, the band played over three hours that night. My son reached his limit before the set was finished. We did get a hotel room on the same block, so I brought him to the room and made it back to the show in less than a song.

Bring ear protection. A good set of plugs or even a set of headphones is the way to go. That is likely the first time your child will be exposed to ninety minutes of music at those decibels. One of the things I've noticed is whenever musicians bring their children to a show the kids always have ear protection.

Make sure your kid gets a good supper before the show. If he gets hungry during the show the food options are limited. Bring a couple of candy bars into the venue.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good points. The low attention span is something I fear with my nine year old at the concert we're going to this spring.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

My 9 Y/O did fine at Isbell last summer. It was an all seated show, and granted, DBT and their crowd are an entirely different animal. but I think as long as you are willing to accept a possible early night (or at least a show from maybe the back of the room, out of the shit), I recommend it. If it all falls apart you maybe lose part of a show, if it goes as planned, you have the rest of your lives to revel in it.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Agree w/ what's been said: Know that you may have to leave early and don't fight it if that happens. Bring earplugs in case the band plugs in (or sometimes even if they don't depending on where you're sitting, acoustics, individual sensitivities - my younger son's first concert was an eric clapton arena show; we were sitting directly across from the stage about half way up and he still found it too loud). But it's definitely worth a try. Even better: Bring another adult (wife?) who's not as into it as you and can take your son out while you stay.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

phungi

Post by phungi »

Re: ear plugs, this is what I use and recommend:

Etymotic Research Ear Plugs. At $13/pair, they are a steal! These ear plugs simply take the decibel level down rather than muffling the sound a'la foam ear plugs. If you are on the fence, get a pair for yourself... the hearing loss you save may be your own. (also, I am pretty sure Patterson wears these)
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

phungi wrote:Re: ear plugs, this is what I use and recommend:

Etymotic Research Ear Plugs. At $13/pair, they are a steal! These ear plugs simply take the decibel level down rather than muffling the sound a'la foam ear plugs. If you are on the fence, get a pair for yourself... the hearing loss you save may be your own. (also, I am pretty sure Patterson wears these)

+10

You can buy 2 pair for $11 each here

http://www.earplugstore.com/profmusearpl1.html
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Seated plus acoustic plus seats up front is perfect. Agree with what the others said - earplugs, bring or buy food & drink for him, you have to be on your best behavior, and be okay with leaving early if necessary.

I took my son to a DBT show in York, PA when he was in fifth grade and he loved it. Wasn't acoustic but it was a seated theater which was perfect because he could sit down and it was less rowdy and there was less drinking etc. I think we were in the first row and the people around us were really nice to him and the band played to him all night, gave him guitar picks and drum sticks etc. This is one of my favorite pics ever (thank you Big Tom!)

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

My 5 year old has seen Wilco twice (both outdoor shows), Isbell and a few other less rock shows (regret not bringing him to Jay Farrar a few weeks back).

Ear plugs are tough with kids. I opt for over the ear protection. He has of pair of the same STIHL (chainsaw) ones that I have for working, customized with an assortment of tractor stickers. They go on and stay on without fuss and unlike ear plugs there's never a question of them being seated properly and providing good protection.

I orchestrate meals and naps in the day leading up for maximum past-yer-bedtime rocking and worst that's happened is him sleeping on my shoulder at the back of the crowd through a Wilco 2nd set.

Most people are cool but i've had some judgy encounters. Pratice your who the fuck asked you? look and you'll be fine.

If we were getting a Dirt show around here I'd probably try for tickets towards the back. Less direct exposure to our rowdy brethren and potential saucy language and behavior.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Keith Richards used to bring his kid on tour in the late 70's, these shows will be like a trip to the aquarium for youngsters!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I have taken my kids (ages 7 and 9) to a lot of shows. Sometimes it's great; sometimes it's not. Outdoor shows/festivals usually work out best for us, but a seated venue is also good for kids. Earplugs are a must and an early-evening nap is always good idea. If you're not ok with leaving early, then it's best to not take him. But, if you're willing to risk it, I say go for it!
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Gaetzi wrote:Keith Richards used to bring his kid on tour in the late 70's

I don't know If you want to take parenting advice from Keef.
Keep calm and have a cigar

sjd

Post by sjd »

My son is 14 and chomping at the bit to go but the closest show to us is 16+ Hopefully I can take him next time.

I'll also add that it doesn't help their attention span if you leave when they want to. I'm not going to miss out on the end of a show, so my son knows he's there until the end. Luckily its never been a problem.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I like to start young'uns on the classics. When my niece was 7 or 8, or 9 or 10, we took her to see the Monkeys, Herman Hermits, Grass Roots and the Association.
Same band played all 4 sets, they just changed out singers. As a kid Herman Hermits was my favorite band next to the Beatles.
When my son was 7 we took him to see Tom Petty. We stood on the wall (yall call it the rail) Some band called the Replacements was the opening act. They
blew (sorry TC) and I couldn't believe I brought my son to see this shit. I kept telling Marina "these people need to be replaced" Although now I'm glad we took him.
We also took him to see Paul McCartney when he was 7 and he got to see and hang with Uncle Teddy & CDB.
His first show by himself was the Offspring. When we went to pick him people were coming out of the building covered in blood. Marina was freaking out! Then I
said "don't worry he saw the Replacements when he was 7". Then she hooked him up with the band 8-)
Betsy just turned 3 and if everything goes according to plans, her first show will be Edger Winter at the Fernadina shrimp festibal in 2 weeks. If that works out
alright she'll get to see her favorite band SCOTS open for DBT in May, although she won't be staying for DBT (to late for her) But we will.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bring ear protection for Betsy. Edgar Winter is deaf as a post and his shows are LOUD
Last edited by Zip City on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

If it was anything like last night Cooley said Fuck about 20 times, although he was telling assholes to "shut the fuck up" other than that it would have been alright.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Zip City wrote:Bring ear protection for Betsy. Edgar Winter is deaf as a post and his shows are LOUD
Luckily it's an outdoor affair so we don't have to get that close and I always have my ear protection.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?