Red Rocks on 8/16/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TW_2.0

Red Rocks on 8/16/15

Post by TW_2.0 »

Hell yes.

With the Alabama Shakes.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

brett27295

Re: Red Rocks on 8/16/15

Post by brett27295 »

Somehow I get the feeling that DBT will be in the opening slot. Has this been officially announced yet?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I've never been to Red Rocks. It's a very bad time of year for me to travel. Should I save my karma for the Georgia Theater shows? Or should I see Red Rocks and live?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

brett27295 wrote:Somehow I get the feeling that DBT will be in the opening slot. Has this been officially announced yet?

It says right here on the website: August 16 Morrison, CO Red Rocks Amphitheater with Alabama Shakes
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

DBT opening
Always go to the show

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Jonicont wrote:DBT opening

wouldn't be able to go either way but still, uuuugggghhhhh :roll:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Figured that. Not really surprising.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Clams

Post by Clams »

TW_2.0 wrote:

Figured that. Not really surprising.

Wow. Full circle. Kudos to the boys for swallowing their pride.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Happy for the Shakes and their success...but still get a little pissed that DBT have never gotten the love and major success that they so richly deserve.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Good for DBT to open for them but I really hope they get a full set at the Fillmore. An opening set is just a tease.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Wow, Truckers opening for the Alabama Shakes?! How about that.. Regardless of how I feel about DBT opening, that's one hell of a bill at one of the best venues in the country. IN

But here's hoping CO gets more than one 45-60 minute opening set out of the band in 2015. Ironic that in 2013, an 'off' year, we got 2 shows at the Boulder Theater, a full free show in Steamboat and festival slot in Telluride. 2014, a heavy touring year we got just the one night at the Fillmore. With Red Rocks being on a Sunday, I could see (hope for) a Friday in Boulder, Sat in Denver and then the opening slot at RR. Or even better (albeit a 3.5 hr drive for me,) Saturday night at the Belly Up in Aspen.
Last edited by Gaetzi on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's mind-blowing that the Shakes could play Red Rocks after one album (and no cohesive plan to follow up on that success)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Zip City wrote:It's mind-blowing that the Shakes could play Red Rocks after one album (and no cohesive plan to follow up on that success)

It's certainly really great music, but this is the power of buzz and brand.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I can't imagine this one selling out. I saw the Shakes open for NY and Crazy Horse at Red Rocks a few years ago, they were great but they were opening for Neil Young.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:It's mind-blowing that the Shakes could play Red Rocks after one album (and no cohesive plan to follow up on that success)

Zip, how do you know what their follow up plan is, let alone how are you in a position to judge whether it's cohesive? Where do you come up with this stuff?

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

Their follow up plan apparently includes a new album, Sound & Color, which is being released April 21st.

It is certainly interesting news that they're headlining Red Rocks, but what a great bill.

Clams

Post by Clams »

armPitt wrote:Their follow up plan apparently includes a new album, Sound & Color, which is being released April 21st.

It is certainly interesting news that they're headlining Red Rocks, but what a great bill.

Right. And a humongous world tour. I question the cohesiveness.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

armPitt wrote:Their follow up plan apparently includes a new album, Sound & Color, which is being released April 21st.

Who do you think you are, Bill from CT, confusing an argument with facts?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:

Zip, how do you know what their follow up plan is, let alone how are you in a position to judge whether it's cohesive? Where do you come up with this stuff?

Cohesive was a bad choice of words. It seems to me that they were riding a wave of popularity and buzz, then completely fell out of the conversation. Hopefully this new album will get the same amount of success, but the timing seems late.

But I'm usually wrong, so.....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

Cohesive was a bad choice of words. It seems to me that they were riding a wave of popularity and buzz, then completely fell out of the conversation. Hopefully this new album will get the same amount of success, but the timing seems late.

But I'm usually wrong, so.....

The Alabama Shakes sold out The Chicago Theatre last week less than an hour after tickets went onsale. As you know from your time here, The Chicago Theatre isn't exactly a small shell. If it is sold out in minutes that tells me that if they added a second show at the Chicago Theatre it would sell out as well. (Which two Chicago Theatre shows would come close to, if not eclipse the total capacity of Red Rocks)
The capacity at Red Rocks is only 9,500 people. So it isn't as if we're talking about Alpine Valley's 40,000. Plus Red Rocks is a destination venue for any hard core Alabama Shakes and DBT fan to hit up. The place is so cool that I'd probably see Barry Manilow there. And if I were in DBT and had the opportunity to open for Barry Manilow at that venue, I'd probably take it so I could play on that stage. And make money doing so!

I can't make the timing of this one. For those lucky enough to, God Bless. I'll be envious.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

There's no such thing as a free ride.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Every time I try to type what I'm thinking about the order of the bill I sound like a dick. Let's go with I think the Drive-By Truckers write better songs, put on a better show and have more staying power than Alabama Shakes.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RMD

Post by RMD »

The Alabama Shakes are big enough to headline Red Rocks?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

RMD wrote:The Alabama Shakes are big enough to headline Red Rocks?

Sure they are.

So are:
Ryan Adams
Soja/Nas
Disco Biscuits
Mastadon/Clutch
Lana Del Rey
Primus
Bassnectar (3 nights)
Old Crowe Medicine Show
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Umphrey's McGee
Avett Brothers (3 nights)
Trampled By Turtles

It's not an enormous venue and its a destination. Alabama Shakes w/DBT plays in the same ballpark as any of those mentioned above.

I don't understand why people have sand in their panties over this.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Hopefully DBT gets more than the standard 45 min opening slot.. That would really be my only complaint

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Tickets purchased

Some cool pics of what Red Rocks looked like before they turned it into an amphitheater: http://www.imfromdenver.com/throwback-t ... hitheater/

RMD

Post by RMD »

No sand here, legitimate question. Just surprises me, unlike most on that list.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

The only other time DBT played Red Rocks (opening for Black Crowes) was a letdown.

1. 45-60 minute set. That just doesn't work for me with this band. They aren't even warmed up @ 45 min! I do have to say though they did a great set that time.

2. They play with the sun up. That is strange. DBT is not a band I can see in daylight. Done it twice. Both times were weird.

I'm on the fence on this one. I do enjoy Alabama Shakes, but I also suspect the trendy crowd will make it a lot less enjoyable. I remember going to see Gov't Mule with Avett Bros. opening. Some of the trendy Avett Bros fans asked who Gov't Mule was...I said it's Warren Haynes' band...they said, "who?" ...conversation ended with that. I just shook my head and walked away.

I'll probably wait until close to showtime to decide on this. I may even be out of town.

Kind of weird to be considering SKIPPING a DBT show. I've missed 2 shows in 11 years in Colorado. One was 8 hours away (T-ride) and the other 3 (and also during the day with a short set).

TDB

Post by TDB »

First of all, not a Shakes fan. Sorry.
Secondly...if I'm going all the way to Red Rocks to see DBT open the show, they better be playing a late night bar gig somewhere nearby.
That's my two cents.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

TDB wrote:First of all, not a Shakes fan. Sorry.
Secondly...if I'm going all the way to Red Rocks to see DBT open the show, they better be playing a late night bar gig somewhere nearby.
That's my two cents.

agree 100%