Petty/DBT Cincy 7/15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Petty/DBT Cincy 7/15

Post by rlipps »

DBT just finished up a killer set here in Cincy:

Marry Me
Drag the Lake Charlie
Get Downtown
I Told You So
Santa Fe
Women Without Whiskey
Everybody Needs Love
Birthday Boy
Sink Hole
Uncle Frank
Hell No I Ain't Happy
3 Dimes Down
Let There Be Rock

More thoughts when I get home later

mhc

Re: Petty/DBT Cincy 7/15

Post by mhc »

One hour set???
How was the crowd?
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

SeanP

Post by SeanP »

the band sounded great....
and they seem to be really enjoying these shows.
the crowd response wasn't to good at the start.
But by the end they were rocking it and the crowd seemed to get into it.

my problem was with petty...
he wasnt reallly that good.
he was k!
if dbt hadn't been opening this would not have been has good a show as it was for me (DEF NOT FOR 100 a tix!!!!!).
the 5 new songs put me to sleep (why the hell u play 5 of them in a row u got to mix it up).
and the whole show jus wasnt that good.
i expected better and im a fan of pettys but i didnt think it was really that good.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

SeanP wrote:the band sounded great....

he was k!
if dbt hadn't been opening this would not have been has good a show as it was for me (DEF NOT FOR 100 a tix!!!!!).
the 5 new songs put me to sleep (why the hell u play 5 of them in a row u got to mix it up).
i expected better and im a fan of pettys but i didnt think it was really that good.

I was crucified on Ninebullets for saying the same thing.. His set just seems rehearsed, lathargic, and bland. Pretty boring.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cubfan06 wrote:
SeanP wrote:the band sounded great....

he was k!

I was crucified on Ninebullets for saying the same thing.. His set just seems rehearsed, lathargic, and bland. Pretty boring.

Other than the handful of new songs, TP & the HB's have been playing the same songs and same show for like 10 years. They basically just stand there and play. The only positive is that he plays a lot of his hits - but other than that, the shows aren't great.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

patman01

Post by patman01 »

Saw the Cincinnati show...loved it.

Thought both bands played great considering the heat.

Am a 53 year-old bassist in Cinti...play in a roots music band...thought the DBT were artistic, and played with a lot of fire.

I will look for their C/D's for sure.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

patman01 wrote:Saw the Cincinnati show...loved it.

Am a 53 year-old bassist in Cinti...play in a roots music band...thought the DBT were artistic, and played with a lot of fire.

Welcome patman, and happy shopping. You're in for some real treats for the ear.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Gravitys Gone

Post by Gravitys Gone »

Hey everybody, been reading on here for a while but never posted. Thought now would be a good time since I was at this show. I thought this set by DBT was a great mix of songs. I was on the lawn and alot of people around me didn't know DBT but they all seemed to be into it by the end. I think Let There Be Rock is a perfect song to close out these Petty shows with. I literally saw hundreds of people with AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, and Skynard shirts on, this song really plays to the demographic that was at this show. Good exposure for DBT in my opinion. Here is a blurb from the Cincinnati Enquirer today:

"The evening began with a rousing ruckus created by Drive-By Truckers, the Athens, Ga.-based band that has learned its classic rock lessons well.

Fronted by guitarists Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley, the group performed an energetic set that was highlighted by Hood’s shout-out to Northside’s Shake It Records, which released the band’s cover of Eddie Hinton’s “Everybody Needs Love.”

After a dozen original tunes, the band closed with “Let There Be Rock," which Hood introduced with “Rock ’n’ roll saved my life when I was a teenager, and it has been doing it every day since.”

The song name-checks groups ranging from AC/DC to the Clash, but the singer claims he never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd, the southern icons that the Truckers are frequently compared to. In the end, however, Hood, Cooley and John Neff lined up at the front of the stage, and for a moment, the thought occurred that “Free Bird” might be played after all."

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I disagree wholeheartedly about Petty's shows not being good. Obviously, he's not someone I'd follow around to multiple shows on the same tour because the setlist doesn't vary much, but the Heartbreakers are the tightest and best-sounding band in rock and roll. I can imagine it has to be frustrating for someone like Petty to try and add some lesser-known songs to the set, because when he played Honeybee last night, which was a highlight for me, there was a massive run to the beer lines and restrooms. Same thing with the new songs. I'll give him credit for at least playing some new stuff, even if it was obvious most of the fans were there for "the hits".

As far as the reaction to DBT, they got a much better crowd and response than when they opened for the Crowes a few years ago at Riverbend. They had a decent crowd in the pavilion section at the beginning of the set, and by the time they ended, it was pretty full. I agree with the earlier post that said LTBR was a great closer for this crowd, as the people around us up front, who were obviously there for Petty, absolutely loved it. Some guys in front of us were high-fiving at the end of the song and most of the people around us jumped to their feet and gave them a huge round of applause as they walked off stage.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Recap from Tom Petty's website:

http://www.tompetty.com/tour/date/id/79

sg207

Post by sg207 »

While I agree with RLipps that the Hearbreakers were spot on, and that Petty didn't sound bad by any stretch, I think Petty himself appeared to mostly be going through the motions. I don't know if it was a bad night, or he's just to that point in his career, but he seemed to be not all that interested in being there.

Without DBT for an opener, I would have been severely disappointed in dropping $120+ for a ticket.

It was good to see a couple of the regulars swinging through here yesterday though!
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

rlipps wrote:Recap from Tom Petty's website:

http://www.tompetty.com/tour/date/id/79

After reading a bunch of those recaps, you guys aren't kidding -- he really does play the same show every night. He could at least switch up the order once in a while, yeesh.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

patman01 wrote:Saw the Cincinnati show...loved it.

Welcome to the board!!!
I won't be 53 until Sept but I've been digging
this band for about 7 and a half years.
You got a lot of catching up to do.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

i kinda feel bad for tom petty for having to follow the truckers but also give him credit for having the balls to invite established badasses to open for him. he could have picked kings of peon then perhaps you would enjoy mr. petty a little more. if you think petty was uninterested or the set was boring you must either be spoiled as shit or have been bit by the "nothing is really that great after dbt" bug. or both. just close your eyes and enjoy the tunes man, your at a tom petty show and he's rockin it. if you didnt like it because mr. petty seemed uninterested then you wouldnt enjoy a Son Volt show. take another shot and another hit and close your eyes maybe. think anyone blind was bored at that show? :?: much love,

boyyourself

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Great pic...

revtodd

Post by revtodd »

boyyourself wrote:i kinda feel bad for tom petty for having to follow the truckers but also give him credit for having the balls to invite established badasses to open for him. he could have picked kings of peon then perhaps you would enjoy mr. petty a little more. if you think petty was uninterested or the set was boring you must either be spoiled as shit or have been bit by the "nothing is really that great after dbt" bug. or both. just close your eyes and enjoy the tunes man, your at a tom petty show and he's rockin it. if you didnt like it because mr. petty seemed uninterested then you wouldnt enjoy a Son Volt show. take another shot and another hit and close your eyes maybe. think anyone blind was bored at that show? :?: much love,

boyyourself

Wow! Much love? Really? I hate to say it, but I couldn't tell from your virtual tone.
Who are you pissed off at, dude? I'm confused. Is this irony beyond my comprehension?

So, it sounds like you are a DBT fan, but not so crazy about Petty....or Kings of Leon. Now, here is where I get confused. If I didn't like the Petty set, then I'm spoiled or I'm DBT-icted....or both. (I think I'm both) At the same time, if I didn't enjoy TP's set I might just be uptight, and therefore incapable of relaxing enough to the point of watching Sun Volt? Personally, I've seen SV once and Petty at least half a dozen times. Neither of them rank in my top twenty list of "best concerts ever". Now, according to you, I should do more drugs and Tom Petty will sound better? Perhaps. If I eat enough mushrooms I might hear "Luna".

Jesus, I am taking your comment WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY too seriously. You were just trying to be funny....and failed. That's all.
I think Tom Petty's setlist sucks too. "Listen to Your Heart" as the opener is the only reason to go. Sorry, but I prefer the ORIGINAL Heartbreakers tunes.
I think it's great DBT is on a big tour. I wish them all the best in recruiting new fans. I will continue to support both TP and DBT, but I'm not going to the Burgh.
This story ends in D.C. and Part III will begin on New Years Eve.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

yeah way to seriously revtodd. i was just rambling and came off rude. my bad. take a hit, read it again and then perhaps you'll think its funy? or not.

Clams

Post by Clams »

boyyourself wrote:yeah way to seriously revtodd. i was just rambling and came off rude. my bad. take a hit, read it again and then perhaps you'll think its funy? or not.

You might have been rambling but I don't think you were rude. Welcome to 3DD!

BTW, boyyourself is a great name.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

gracias clams. good to be here. boyyourself.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I thought DBT did a great set and Petty & the Heartbreakers were excellent as well. It's not Petty's fault if much of his crowd is just there to hear the hits & sits down or goes on walkabout during the new songs. Though it might have been a better idea to sprinkle the new ones throughout the set rather than play them in a bloc. Petty is now the only artist I've seen in 4 different decades (opening for Dylan in '86, headlining in '99, Bridge School Benefit in 2000, and this show). Mike Campbell is one of the best guitarists in rock and the rest of the band is at a very high level as well. It was great as always to see SeanP, laraelisabeth, sg207, and his roomie Brian. Thanks to sg207 and Brian for letting me & SeanP crash at their place. At the preshow dinner I tried a bourbon-flavored beer from Kentucky that was very tasty. Between the Midwestern beer at Kroger and ShakeIt Records, I barely escaped Cincy before bankruptcy ensued...
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bill in CT wrote:I thought DBT did a great set and Petty & the Heartbreakers were excellent as well. It's not Petty's fault if much of his crowd is just there to hear the hits & sits down or goes on walkabout during the new songs. Though it might have been a better idea to sprinkle the new ones throughout the set rather than play them in a bloc. Petty is now the only artist I've seen in 4 different decades (opening for Dylan in '86, headlining in '99, Bridge School Benefit in 2000, and this show). Mike Campbell is one of the best guitarists in rock and the rest of the band is at a very high level as well. It was great as always to see SeanP, laraelisabeth, sg207, and his roomie Brian. Thanks to sg207 and Brian for letting me & SeanP crash at their place. At the preshow dinner I tried a bourbon-flavored beer from Kentucky that was very tasty. Between the Midwestern beer at Kroger and ShakeIt Records, I barely escaped Cincy before bankruptcy ensued...

alsum, bill! i agree, you can't blame petty for his fans.

i'm gonna see his set at the IZOD wMMJ opening, can't wait.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Bill in CT wrote: Mike Campbell is one of the best guitarists in rock.

^^^
x2 8-)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, I did enjoy Petty's show (minus the lumping of the new tunes all together). It was good. It just wasn't great. And I was expecting great. But I had never seen him before, so maybe it's my issue and not his. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him again, but not at those prices.

Just as a comparison, two weeks before that, I saw Eric Clapton and expected a great show. And Clapton blew me away.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it