dbt opening for eric church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

dbt opening for eric church

Post by Shakespeare »

i dont think ive seen this posted anywhere

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20150112

any fans here? ive never (intentionally) heard any of his music but i assumed he was just another bro country clown

211poundsofpork

Re: dbt opening for eric church

Post by 211poundsofpork »

He is. Just listen to his cover of "Get Up Jake" on Love for Levon. Painful.

Shakespeare wrote:i dont think ive seen this posted anywhere

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20150112

any fans here? ive never (intentionally) heard any of his music but i assumed he was just another bro country clown

Clams

Post by Clams »

I hope the boys cash a nice paycheck for this.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Clams wrote:I hope the boys cash a nice paycheck for this.

I'm sure they will and it will probably be guaranted and their musics close enough to Eric's that they should make a load of new fans. Packing my Chief County tshirt for HC as I type
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

I'll be throwing my money into at least the DC show. I hope the boys get lots of new fans. It will be interesting to see their reaction.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Great opportunity for the band even though bro country isn't any of our cup of tea. I am happy for them. If Eric Church covers "Daddy's Cup" it will could become for NASCAR what "Are You Ready For Some Football" is for the NFL. Maybe it will lead to some new members of 3DD which is a good thing too.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

If this allows DBT to make some money and attract some new fans then I'm happy for them.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I watched most of Eric Church live from Austin City Limits a few months back. The gentleman in the patriotic beach tee had me in stitches the whole time.

He's got a real "Ringo" look going for him these days.
Image=Image?

I doubt I'll be attending any Eric Church shows to see DBT open, but good for them. I bet a fat pay check will keep them happy.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

It upsets my sensibilities just looking at the guitar player's pose and facial expression.

Nice to see some 2015 dates starting to trickle out though.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I remember tuning into SNL a few years back and seeing Brad Rice (Backsliders, Whiskeytown, Son Volt, Ryan Adams, Tift Merritt, etc.) playing guitar with Keith Urban and having to do a double take. While I'm not a fan of Keith Urban's, one has to do whatever they can (especially in today's musical climate) to put food on the table so I can't say I fault him for taking that gig. Same for DBT's opening for Eric Church. I'm not a fan but if it puts them in front of a wider audience, it's difficult to find fault with it. This may be far fetched but with folks like Isbell sharing bills with the likes of Rascal Flatts and the overwhelming popularity of Sturgill Simpson, it would interesting to see a sea change occur in country music. I don't think that'll happen but you never know.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

for the record i dont care at all. i understand the realities of the biz and if dbt can get a nice check for a few abbreviated sets, more power to them. its a win/win, really. either they make the money and some new fans, or they just make the money. already seen some haters on the dbt facebook post about it, which is nuts.

the headline just jumped out at me and its blowing my mind that my little sister, who's crazy for all that pop country nonsense, could end up seeing dbt in an arena this year

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Just watched two videos and holy shit this guy is terrible. Never thought I'd skip a truckers show in Austin but I'm not going to that guys show.

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Hey at least they aren't playing a private party for a republican senator in Florida

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Didn't see that one coming.

As most have said, "it's just business." If it's good business, so much the better. Needless to say I'd love for the shows to generate bunches of new DBT fans but I'll have to see that to believe it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote:As most have said, "it's just business." If it's good business, so much the better. Needless to say I'd love for the shows to generate bunches of new DBT fans but I'll have to see that to believe it.

How many came into the fold after the Petty and Black Crowes opening slots? I genuinely curious. I know we all came to find DBT various ways surely someone saw them open an arena show and was won over.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I think it would be kind of funny if they pulled out "The Opening Act" for these shows.

Maybe I'm disillusioned, but I've often thought that more folks would dig DBT, if they simply had the opportunity to hear them; however, so many people only hear what's played on FM radio. Maybe this really will be some good exposure for the band.

Has DBT ever-opened for someone with such a big name as Eric Church? Again big name doesn't necessary mean good; I"m just speaking of name-recognition, not quality of music. Eric Chruch does sing a song called "Springsteen"; maybe this will spawn a call for "State Trooper"

"Please don't stop me......"

ford911

Post by ford911 »

brett27295 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:As most have said, "it's just business." If it's good business, so much the better. Needless to say I'd love for the shows to generate bunches of new DBT fans but I'll have to see that to believe it.

How many came into the fold after the Petty and Black Crowes opening slots? I genuinely curious. I know we all came to find DBT various ways surely someone saw them open an arena show and was won over.

Eric Church is not Petty or the black crowes. DBT has much more in common with those two than this guy.

Kudzu Guillotine

Beaverdam wrote:Has DBT ever-opened for someone with such a big name as Eric Church?

Off the top of my head, I'm aware of them opening for Dave Matthews, Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Black Crowes and Bob Dylan though I'm sure there's more.

I know the quality of YouTube clips leave a lot to be desired but even with that aspect of this aside, Eric murders "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" here.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

ford911 wrote:Eric Church is not Petty or the black crowes. DBT has much more in common with those two than this guy.

Perhaps. But I'm still curious if any Petty or Crowe fans became DBT fans after seeing them open a show.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

brett27295 wrote:
ford911 wrote:Eric Church is not Petty or the black crowes. DBT has much more in common with those two than this guy.

Perhaps. But I'm still curious if any Petty or Crowe fans became DBT fans after seeing them open a show.

I saw DBT open for Petty a few years back. They didn't even kill the stadium lights (if memory serves me right) and over half the audience walked in after the opener was done. To be honest, even I was a little bit underwhelmed by the performance. I would assume that this opens a few eyes, but not the droves we'd all like to see.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

Barely_Oakely wrote:
brett27295 wrote:

I saw DBT open for Petty a few years back. They didn't even kill the stadium lights (if memory serves me right) and over half the audience walked in after the opener was done. To be honest, even I was a little bit underwhelmed by the performance. I would assume that this opens a few eyes, but not the droves we'd all like to see.

One band I forgot to mention above is the Allman Brothers. Of course, when I saw them it was much like the situation Barely describes as they played when it was still daylight while most of the fans were tailgating. As for the Allman Bros fans I was hanging with, most didn't seem to be into the DBT's. J.J. Grey and Mofro (who played prior to DBT) were also on the bill that day.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

They opened for The Allman Brothers in Charlotte back in 07

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

ford911 wrote:Just watched two videos and holy shit this guy is terrible. Never thought I'd skip a truckers show in Austin but I'm not going to that guys show.

Agree 100 percent

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

brett27295 wrote:

I first saw them opening for Petty. Been hooked ever since...now Petty is a long, long, long, long, long ways from Eric Church.

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Eric Church is an asshat

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

CalebCalebson wrote:Eric Church is an asshat

Now, now folks. There's no reason to call people names. Granted he may not be in the wheelhouse of most (if not all) of the people who inhabit this place (I had to look him up) but he seems to have decent taste in music. I mean, he's giving the boys a chance to make some dough, Right?
Always go to the show

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

As someone with an artistic side career, I'd be lying to say that I haven't taken a few jobs that were all about the money. I do a lot of "we want you to design King Lear, and we'll pay you $1000 for $5 hours of your time" jobs, so when I get offered a "we want you to light the MC and ventriloquist at the Billionaire Yacht Owners convention, and we'll pay you $1000 for 3 hours of your time" job, it's hard to stand up for artistic integrity.

I bet if someone offered tinnitus $10,000 to shoot a wedding he'd do it in a heartbeat
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:I bet if someone offered tinnitus $10,000 to shoot a wedding he'd do it in a heartbeat

Even if an Avett was marrying a Mumford?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Zip City wrote:I bet if someone offered tinnitus $10,000 to shoot a wedding he'd do it in a heartbeat

Even if an Avett was marrying a Mumford?

Go to the bathroom and wash your mouth out with soap!
Now it's dark.