dbt opening for eric church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: dbt opening for eric church

Post by beantownbubba »

Southern Efficiency wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Seriously, we take ourselves seriously and if we're singing along it's because a song signifies, it has meaning, we identify with it because it's real, it's damn near poetry man. When those guys sing it's because they're drunk or because it's the only way they can express their repressed homoerotic feelings or some shit like that.

BTB discovers a rock-and-roll corollary for the fundamental attribution error.

And they call me fancy.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

Can't argue with how the guy handled this situation...

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/eric- ... tomach-flu
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:Can't argue with how the guy handled this situation...

That changes my opinion a bit. Still haven't heard anything by him that I've really dug, but that was a standup gesture. Especially considering they're going to make up the show too.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
Clams wrote:Can't argue with how the guy handled this situation...

That changes my opinion a bit. Still haven't heard anything by him that I've really dug, but that was a standup gesture. Especially considering they're going to make up the show too.

Yep.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

After listening to people bitch and moan (and by "people", I'm increasingly inclined to think I mean "bitchers and moaners") about Eric Church, I've decided he's okay in my book. He can't be any worse than listening to people whine about him. And now I'm turning on a YouTube stream of his stuff to find out whether I've placed myself in a tenable position.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:After listening to people bitch and moan (and by "people", I'm increasingly inclined to think I mean "bitchers and moaners") about Eric Church, I've decided he's okay in my book. He can't be any worse than listening to people whine about him. And now I'm turning on a YouTube stream of his stuff to find out whether I've placed myself in a tenable position.
And I have. He's okay by me. Maybe I should've seen him and Miranda Lambert up in North River City after all.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

from last night:

You have to admire Church, though, for the courage of his choice of an opening act. He could have picked any young star in Nashville, but instead he chose the Drive-By Truckers, an act that has never had a Billboard-charting single. The quintet may well be the greatest rock 'n' roll band of this new millennium (who else has a 21st-century catalog to match?) and in a short, 45-minute set, they demonstrated the power of uncompromised Southern rock.

Co-founders Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley may not sing as well as Church, but they are much stronger writers, and they fleshed out the obscured implications of Church's 'Give Me Back My Hometown' with Southern Gothic tales about land ownership in 'Uncle Frank' and 'Sink Hole.' And when Hood started waving his arms and preaching during 'Let There Be Rock,' the contradictions and challenges of being a teenage rock 'n' roll fan were far sharper than in 'Springsteen.'

- See more at: http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/noise/bc ... 7fktT.dpuf

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Wolf wrote:from last night:

You have to admire Church, though, for the courage of his choice of an opening act. He could have picked any young star in Nashville, but instead he chose the Drive-By Truckers, an act that has never had a Billboard-charting single. The quintet may well be the greatest rock 'n' roll band of this new millennium (who else has a 21st-century catalog to match?) and in a short, 45-minute set, they demonstrated the power of uncompromised Southern rock.

Co-founders Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley may not sing as well as Church, but they are much stronger writers, and they fleshed out the obscured implications of Church's 'Give Me Back My Hometown' with Southern Gothic tales about land ownership in 'Uncle Frank' and 'Sink Hole.' And when Hood started waving his arms and preaching during 'Let There Be Rock,' the contradictions and challenges of being a teenage rock 'n' roll fan were far sharper than in 'Springsteen.'

- See more at: http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/noise/bc ... 7fktT.dpuf
Love that - thanks for sharing.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

any time sir

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Nice, thanks for posting. Not sure if anyone picked up on it but the author of that article, Geoffrey Himes, appears in The Secret To A Happy Ending and has been writing for publications like No Depression and championing alt.country music for years.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

On a driving trip today was listening to SiriusXM. Clicking Next checking out the channels I stopped at E Street Radio because the screen said Eric Church. He was sitting in as the guest DJ. He was picking the songs and telling the audience why, explaining what the song meant to him, how it affected his growth as a musician, etc. It seemed like the show must have been a replay from a session he'd done before.

Anyway, he then played his own song Springsteen. He explained about how seeing Bruce for the first time was the inspiration for the song. The following isn't word for word but it is a close paraphrase: "When I was about 15 the first amphitheater concert I went to was to see Bruce. I took a girl who I was falling in love with. We laid a blanket out on the grass in the back. What an awesome night. We'll that relationship lasted about 2 weeks but to this day whenever I here a song played from that show I automatically think about that girl, about where she is and whether she remembers me. I think that is a powerful testament to how music can move our emotions and provide bonds between people."

I personally am good with some of his stuff, don't care for most of it, but just listening to what he was saying in between 5 or 6 songs pretty clearly told me the guy understands music from both the performer and the listener perspective. Both being fans of and influenced by Springsteen is an obvious bridge between he and DBT.

John A Arkansawyer

Humboldt wrote:He explained about how seeing Bruce for the first time was the inspiration for the song. The following isn't word for word but it is a close paraphrase: "When I was about 15 the first amphitheater concert I went to was to see Bruce. I took a girl who I was falling in love with. We laid a blanket out on the grass in the back. What an awesome night. We'll that relationship lasted about 2 weeks but to this day whenever I here a song played from that show I automatically think about that girl, about where she is and whether she remembers me. I think that is a powerful testament to how music can move our emotions and provide bonds between people."
The River can take me to exactly that same place of mine. I don't know what I'd do if I heard it played on a slightly draggy tape deck. Plotz probably.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Humboldt wrote:We'll that relationship lasted about 2 weeks but to this day whenever I here a song played from that show I automatically think about that girl, about where she is and whether she remembers me. I think that is a powerful testament to how music can move our emotions and provide bonds between people."
I'd say it's a toss up whether "I know what he means" or "this guy is so egotistical he thinks that him thinking about someone creates bonds between more than one person."

Edited once for grammar
Last edited by beantownbubba on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I didn't know until I read the City Paper article above that that crappy Springsteen song was a #1! Jesus, you can sell that country audience anything.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Rocky wrote:I didn't know until I read the City Paper article above that that crappy Springsteen song was a #1! Jesus, you can sell that country audience anything.
haha!!!

Sub

Post by Sub »

Rocky wrote:I didn't know until I read the City Paper article above that that crappy Springsteen song was a #1! Jesus, you can sell that country audience anything.
I like it!

Catchy shit.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I have to agree with Rocky, I know top 40 pop music is pretty much the same but with country music today it seems like they're abusing the privilege. Between the obligatory patriotic drek followed closely by muh guns and muh truck, the word formulaic to me is interchangeable with pop country.