dbt opening for eric church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cubfan06

Re: dbt opening for eric church

Post by Cubfan06 »

I am all for DBT making a couple of bucks while exposing their music to a broader audience. We all work for two reasons, to make money and to love what we do. Sometimes the two mix and sometimes they do not. It's nice that they can collect a few extra bucks to stash away for their children's future education and they also should have some fun with challenge of trying to gain some new fans a new arena. They get to mix in some full shows in between to break up the travel expenses.

This isn't effecting the integrity of their own product in any way.

Good for them! Don't be ashamed of it.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Trust me, they are not ashamed at all. So far three gigs - so it looks liike they get to play an hour and ten minues or close to that. My advice: play nothing but fuckin rockin classics like: Lookout Mountain - Ronnie and Neil - Buttholeville - Gravity's Gone - Hearing Jimmy Laoud - The Righteous Path - Three Fuckin Dimes Down - Putting People On The Moon - Devil Don;t Stay - Marry Me - Shut Your Mouth & Get On The Plane - Hell No I Ain't Happy - Do It Yourself - Guitar Man Upsatirs - Don;t Be In Love Around Me - close it out with Let There Be Rock.....Full bore....We are the DRIVE BY TRUCKERS MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Alright. I have a confession to make. I love this song. Maybe I've spent too much time in small town bars listening to (and hating) the jukebox, but this is one piece of bro-country that I can handle. It's not thought provoking or ground breaking, but it is fun. Pour a sixer of PBR down my throat, top it with a snort of whiskey and I'll be belting this song out with all the other yokels. Then I'll go back to my corner and skowl when Florida Georgia Line comes on next.

And before we go making idle threats about people covering DBT, let's not forget how many song's Dylan sold in the 60's. That decade is rife with covers of Dylan tunes done by Sonny and Cher and their crowd. It made Bobby enough money that he could embellish a motorcycle accident, stop touring for a while, hang out with the Hawks, and then come out with more great material in the next decade. If this gets the boys some money in the bank, well, good for them.

Every time I hear that song, I think it's this song.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

You guys are missing the trees for the forest here. Of course there's nothing for them to be ashamed of. But if we raise a big enough stink, maybe Cooley will get pissed and record another "Trying to be the Boss".
ain't no static on the gospel radio

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Duke Silver wrote:You guys are missing the trees for the forest here. Of course there's nothing for them to be ashamed of. But if we raise a big enough stink, maybe Cooley will get pissed and record another "Trying to be the Boss".

Good point, but do you think those fucking sellouts will listen to you? Not a chance. Assholes.

So when can we expect the new track?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Sub

Post by Sub »

I love it! There is an abundance of music snobs who rarely leave their small bubble of a comfort zone around here and that's fine but just seems stubborn to me.

Good for DBT.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sub wrote:I love it! There is an abundance of music snobs who rarely leave their small bubble of a comfort zone around here and that's fine but just seems stubborn to me.

Good for DBT.

Sub! Long time no see. Happy recent birthday.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Zip City wrote:I bet if someone offered tinnitus $10,000 to shoot a wedding he'd do it in a heartbeat

Even if an Avett was marrying a Mumford?

:lol:

with one of those Spirit Family Reunion dorks as officiant. done deal.

tinnitus photography

CalebCalebson wrote:
Zip City wrote:
RevMatt wrote:. But did anyone here think that songs as great as "Outfit", "Dress Blues", "Heathens", "Love Like This" and "Daddy's Cup" would be underground forever?

Yes, because the crap being pumped out of Nashville (and being eaten up by the mouth-breathing masses) has the lyrical integrity of a Bazooka Joe comic. These music consumers don't WANT good songs with amazing lyrics, they want to pump their fists and drink their Bud Light and cut the sleeves off their Affliction shirts

In the year 2017 we will see Florida Georgia line make Zip City a mega hit

:lol: to both posts.

Sub

Post by Sub »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sub wrote:I love it! There is an abundance of music snobs who rarely leave their small bubble of a comfort zone around here and that's fine but just seems stubborn to me.

Good for DBT.

Sub! Long time no see. Happy recent birthday.

Hi! & Thanks! Yeah it has been ages,

tinnitus photography

Barely_Oakely wrote:Alright. I have a confession to make. I love this song. Maybe I've spent too much time in small town bars listening to (and hating) the jukebox, but this is one piece of bro-country that I can handle. It's not thought provoking or ground breaking, but it is fun. Pour a sixer of PBR down my throat, top it with a snort of whiskey and I'll be belting this song out with all the other yokels. Then I'll go back to my corner and skowl when Florida Georgia Line comes on next.

is that Bobby Landgraf playing the blue telecaster?!? sure looks like him. he's in Honky, and recently took over Kirk's place in Down.

damn.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:

is that Bobby Landgraf playing the blue telecaster?!? sure looks like him. he's in Honky, and recently took over Kirk's place in Down.

damn.

OK, I can see why someone might find this pleasant, listenable, hooky, etc. But how can u possibly listen to him sing that he's going to "tear a new one in this old town" w/out bursting out laughing? I mean, that's what i did. Literally: If i had had a drink in my hand it would be all over my keyboard right now. It's surely not worth arguing about and I'm not even trying to argue: your guilty pleasure is at least as valid as mine and I think it's great that we both have them. But when you get right down to it, we always seem to come back to that crazy intangible thing called authenticity and this guy don't have it (note to mr. church: the shades do NOT help). None of this has anything to do w/ whether the truckers should open for him; they clearly should and it's great of him to give them the slot and the shot. If I ever met the guy that's the first thing I would say to him.

Note to potential showgoers: Say what u want about mr. church but he sure does seem to attract a whole lot of purty women to his shows, at least if this clip is representative,

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Howlinwolf wrote:Trust me, they are not ashamed at all. So far three gigs - so it looks liike they get to play an hour and ten minues or close to that. My advice: play nothing but fuckin rockin classics like: Lookout Mountain - Ronnie and Neil - Buttholeville - Gravity's Gone - Hearing Jimmy Laoud - The Righteous Path - Three Fuckin Dimes Down - Putting People On The Moon - Devil Don;t Stay - Marry Me - Shut Your Mouth & Get On The Plane - Hell No I Ain't Happy - Do It Yourself - Guitar Man Upsatirs - Don;t Be In Love Around Me - close it out with Let There Be Rock.....Full bore....We are the DRIVE BY TRUCKERS MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Would love to them do this. Blow the roof off the place and leave it all on the field. Make it as difficult for Eric church as possible. Not to be jerks. Just be that opener that blows everyone's mind to the point that the guy they came to see seems like no big deal by comparison. The Truckers easily have that in them. We all know it. Hell, they know it. Turn the monster loose boys. Don't hold anything back.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:

And before we go making idle threats about people covering DBT, let's not forget how many song's Dylan sold in the 60's. That decade is rife with covers of Dylan tunes done by Sonny and Cher and their crowd. It made Bobby enough money that he could embellish a motorcycle accident, stop touring for a while, hang out with the Hawks, and then come out with more great material in the next decade. If this gets the boys some money in the bank, well, good for them.

Every time I hear that song, I think it's this song.

Wow. Never thought about that. It's a good thing Jason the first song doesn't belong to Jason. :D That Drink in my hand song is one of the few Eric Church songs I've ever heard all the way through. Agree with bubba on the shades.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I seriously doubt that 99% of the Eric Church fans will pay the least bit of attention to DBT. Most will be in the parking lot during DBT's set. Just going by my Facebook/Twitter feeds of many of my ex students the vast majority whom are "Bro-Country" fans in their early 20s who go see those acts all the time. The whole idea is dress up "country", drink tons of cheap beer, and take selfies and post them during the show. Also short video clips of yourself drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:I seriously doubt that 99% of the Eric Church fans will pay the least bit of attention to DBT. Most will be in the parking lot during DBT's set. Just going by my Facebook/Twitter feeds of many of my ex students the vast majority whom are "Bro-Country" fans in their early 20s who go see those acts all the time. The whole idea is dress up "country", drink tons of cheap beer, and take selfies and post them during the show. Also short video clips of yourself drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.

Oh Lord. How in the world do you have time to watch the show with all the self administered photo ops I wonder.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
brett27295 wrote:I seriously doubt that 99% of the Eric Church fans will pay the least bit of attention to DBT. Most will be in the parking lot during DBT's set. Just going by my Facebook/Twitter feeds of many of my ex students the vast majority whom are "Bro-Country" fans in their early 20s who go see those acts all the time. The whole idea is dress up "country", drink tons of cheap beer, and take selfies and post them during the show. Also short video clips of yourself drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.

Oh Lord. How in the world do you have time to watch the show with all the self administered photo ops I wonder.

You don't. No one watches the show. The show is just background music for you and your bros hanging out and getting drunk
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

she loves me like Jesus does...

*he took the shades off for ya, bubba.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Weird coincidence, Eric Church is on the cover the San Diego Union-Tribune Thursday entertainment section today. Long article written by the long term head music critic George Varga. Varga is the opposite of a whatever is popular now rubber stamp. I met him a few times years ago back stage at Beat Farmers, Paladins and Mojo Nixon shows.

Varga has always hated mainstream country and spent years trying to champion bands like those named above and other SoCal roots rock/"cow-punk" bands like X, Social D, the Knitters, the Blasters, Los Lobos, Cindy Lee Berryhill, etc. Most importantly he is a big Truckers fan.

Anyway, I am a tech idiot and can't figure out how to post the link here. Maybe someone else can.

Bottom line from the article is that Church says he loves blues, jazz and African music. He cites Kristofferson and Dylan as favorite songwriters. Varga writes "In contrast with the current brand of generic country rock and country-pop, which champions dimension free songs about cold beer, hot cars and even hotter women, Church prides himself on tackling more thorny topics in his music...Or, as he declares on the fiercely rocking, ear popping title track of The Outsiders: They're the in-crowd, we're the other ones/It's a different kind of cloth we're cut from."

I had never heard of the guy. I'd heard the Springsteen song and thought it sucked. Church in this article talks about trying to challenge his audience with music other than his hits. Varga breaks down a couple of the new album songs as having some prog rock intricate timing changes and another where he uses the Nashville music industry as a metaphor for Satan.

IDK...bringing in rock bands to open for him shows something. That voice though is not real pleasant on the ear.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

beantownbubba wrote:But how can u possibly listen to him sing that he's going to "tear a new one in this old town" w/out bursting out laughing?

I didn't say I'm proud...

I associate with a crowd who does the Bro Country thing and I'm constantly exposed to this muzak. Every now and then I'll sneak some DBT or Lucero into the playlist, but if it's not the latest single played every hour on the hour by country radio it can't get past their short attention spans. Florida Georgia Line could do a tune about blowing dudes for beer money and so long as you could put it on repeat on all of the country stations in america it would make CMT's single of the year.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

brett27295 wrote:The whole idea is dress up "country", drink tons of cheap beer, and take selfies and post them during the show. Also short video clips of yourself drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.

This is sad...and absolutely true. Too many people have traded real fun for virtual fun.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Rocky wrote:
brett27295 wrote:The whole idea is dress up "country", drink tons of cheap beer, and take selfies and post them during the show. Also short video clips of yourself drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.

This is sad...and absolutely true. Too many people have traded real fun for virtual fun.

I've seen pretty much the same thing at other shows including ones by the Truckers except some audience members wore "Truckers" caps and the cheap beer was PBR. Maybe not on the same scale but this sort of thing isn't unique to just one audience.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Rocky wrote:

I've seen pretty much the same thing at other shows including ones by the Truckers except some audience members wore "Truckers" caps and the cheap beer was PBR. Maybe not on the same scale but this sort of thing isn't unique to just one audience.

KG throwing down the gauntlet!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

brett27295 wrote: drunkenly singing along to whatever is the big hit song.

Raise your hand if you've ever done this to Zip City at a DBT show!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:

Beaverdam piling on! I think I'm going to need a scorecard soon.

Cutting to the chase, I'm gonna guess that the difference will come down to authenticity again. Either that or we're an insular bunch of self satisfied snobs.

E.g. the difference is between everyone in the crowd taking selfies as part of the supposed "experience" and everyone here complaining the next morning about the 10 frat boy asshats in the corner taking selfies at the rock show.

Or maybe it's the difference between drunkenly singing and singing drunkenly. Hey, I like that one 8-) Seriously, we take ourselves seriously and if we're singing along it's because a song signifies, it has meaning, we identify with it because it's real, it's damn near poetry man. When those guys sing it's because they're drunk or because it's the only way they can express their repressed homoerotic feelings or some shit like that. Wait, come to think of it that last one would be pretty authentic. :o I'd like to think that at a rock show talking during, say, "Space City" will get you at least an elbow in the ribs. Talking during the quiet one at one of these bro shows is what you do 'cause listening wouldn't be manly and who the hell would listen to that shit anyway?

Edited once for clarity

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Beaverdam wrote:

Guilty as charged! and not just Zip City, fwiw. However, I do not video myself singing along and immediately tweet, vine, or post it to facebook lol.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

If you're a pedantic dicktard you're allowed to sing along.

Guilty! :ugeek:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I'll also add I don't think these kids who love bro-country love it any less than the bands I loved in the 1980s, or even any less than we love DBT. I pumped my fist at quite a few Skid Row, Motley Crue, KISS, and Guns N' Roses shows in the late 80's/early 90's...and my parents sure let me know those bands couldn't touch the Beatles.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Or maybe it's the difference between drunkenly singing and singing drunkenly. Hey, I like that one 8-) Seriously, we take ourselves seriously and if we're singing along it's because a song signifies, it has meaning, we identify with it because it's real, it's damn near poetry man. When those guys sing it's because they're drunk or because it's the only way they can express their repressed homoerotic feelings or some shit like that. Wait, come to think of it that last one would be pretty authentic. :o

Memories of the Manlove 2000 tour with Slobberbone? I saw DBT's in 2000 but unfortunately, it wasn't one of the Slobberbone shows. I've heard tales though...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Listen, the only thing I can add is that this discussion has been infinitely more civilized than what's on the two FB groups and you don't want to even look at the main DBT page there. In the big scheme of things I neither like or dislike Eric Church but he seems to have pretty good personal taste in music regardless for what he does for a living. The pictures I've seen of fans at his shows make me chuckle and also feel damn sure there are few future members of Congress in that bunch. Basically I don't give a fuck except that people all of us like and respect a great deal have a nice opportunity. To various degrees almost all of you seem to feel the same. That's good enough for me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved