dbt opening for eric church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: dbt opening for eric church

Post by RevMatt »

For fifteen years after the first Ramones album people said that punk rock would never appeal to the mainstream. Then Nirvana finally broke that barrier in 1992. I really think it will happen with country music because it has happened before. Waylon and Willie bucked the system and had mainstream success in the 70's.

The average person will not go out of their way to find great music the way music fans do. They have to hear it first on the radio. But once they are exposed to it a great song will touch their hearts the way it will ours. The Truckers don't have a bunch of willfully obscure type of stuff. It is not like Sun Kil Moon's Benji that has a limited audience. It is the Nashville system -- publishers, producers -- that has kept them out of the mainstream. But I think that is starting to change. Every Drive By Truckers album has at least one or two potential hits. Great songs are hard to come by and it is only going to take one person to have a hit with a Truckers song for others to rush to record one.
Last edited by RevMatt on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't want any of those Nashville assclowns to record DBT songs
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Pop radio seems to be a chicken egg thing.

Do people like crap because they play it a lot, or do they play crap because people like it? Part of me tends to think that if they just conspired to play say "Marry Me" or "Shut Up and Get On the Plane" 10x per day on the radio, that people would think it's the greatest thing ever.

zoid

Post by zoid »

I'm guessing it's a two way deal. I'm sure Eric Church (inc) has a say in who opens for him. Maybe he (they) want a band like the Truckers to rock things up a bit?

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

I hope the guys make boatloads of money for this tour, it's business and we want them to make money for their families. I bet it's gonna be hard to get near the rail at this show, but I guess we'll be attending the Hoedown in Ft Wayne,In. (at least the first part of it)

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm an opinionated guy but I hope I have never approached the assholery that I've seen today regarding this tour and the Zac Brown Dress Blues cover. About the latter I saw a guy say he would punch anyone in the face that didn't know it was a JI song. If you have those thoughts and post them publicly it's time to reassess.

Lol. No kidding. A punch in the face? Surely he was kidding.

I really think (hope) he was kidding? He also said he would even punch my Mama! haha Jason is obviously fine with the whole thing so we need to be happy that more people will hear the song writing genius of Jason Isbell. With that said, I do wish Mr. Brown had not found it necessary to change the words, that was best line!

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Zip City wrote:I don't want any of those Nashville assclowns to record DBT songs

why not?

i dont listen to those guys either but this is a weird stance to take, especially while complaining about the quality of tunes they do record

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:
Zip City wrote:I don't want any of those Nashville assclowns to record DBT songs

why not?

i dont listen to those guys either but this is a weird stance to take, especially while complaining about the quality of tunes they do record

Most of them are better off ignored completely. I mean, who in the Nashville Top 10 would you want to hear singing a DBT tune? The complete and utter lack of sincerity among those artists is so off-putting, that I just can't sign up for that

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

but if youre not listening why care at all. nothign requires you to listen to shitty covers of songs you like

idk who in nashville id want cuz idk whos in nashville anymore but i have no issue with any of them recording a dbt song and cant see why anyone would, frankly. easy paycheck for work patterson/cooley have already done, less pressure to tour as they get older. whats the catch? dont want any bro country fans infiltrating dbt gigs? fuck that

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

alquina wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm an opinionated guy but I hope I have never approached the assholery that I've seen today regarding this tour and the Zac Brown Dress Blues cover. About the latter I saw a guy say he would punch anyone in the face that didn't know it was a JI song. If you have those thoughts and post them publicly it's time to reassess.

Lol. No kidding. A punch in the face? Surely he was kidding.

I really think (hope) he was kidding? He also said he would even punch my Mama! haha Jason is obviously fine with the whole thing so we need to be happy that more people will hear the song writing genius of Jason Isbell. With that said, I do wish Mr. Brown had not found it necessary to change the words, that was best line!

That's right he did say he would punch your mama didn't he? :lol: I assume he was kidding too but the very fact that someone allows things like this to upset them like that is disturbing. These are just songs and tours and people we like catching some breaks. Roll your eyes and have a big chuckle if you must but then think of these people who we like so much and think about how these things might let them buy their kids a new laptop, or braces or maybe just an extra day or two off the road to spend with their families. I'm not saying not to feel whatever you feel I'm just saying leave the face punching and righteously indignation out of it. It isn't good for anybody to get that angry over things like this.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Shakespeare wrote:but if youre not listening why care at all. nothign requires you to listen to shitty covers of songs you like

idk who in nashville id want cuz idk whos in nashville anymore but i have no issue with any of them recording a dbt song and cant see why anyone would, frankly. easy paycheck for work patterson/cooley have already done, less pressure to tour as they get older. whats the catch? dont want any bro country fans infiltrating dbt gigs? fuck that

you make too much sense
Always go to the show

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

I have never seen Eric Church or heard any of his songs, but I'm guessing he falls into the BIG ARENA corporate country band category. I have friends who are into that type of music. Based on that small sample, I would venture a guess that some of the folks in Eric Church's audience have some appreciation of music and love some of the "Truckers" song that I play.

Patterson and Mike could have some fun with the set lists just to see if anyone in the audience is paying attention to the lyrics:

.....Putting People on the Moon, Sink Hole, Lookout Mountain, Deeper In, The Living Bubba, Butt HoleVille, Too Much See Too Little Jesus, The Southern Thing, A Ghost to Most, Gravity's Gone, Play it all Night Long, Made up English Oceans.......to name a few.

Lot of good rockers on that list, might even be educational.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I'm kinda hoping they play Late for Church every night.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dogstar wrote:I'm kinda hoping they play Late for Church every night.

:lol:

I dig this Eric Church tune.

It was the summer before the real world started and,
The deal was we would get to go, if we
Cleaned it up, and got it running,
Daddy's old Winnebago and
Wing and a prayer down 65,
Five best friends on four bald tires,
I can still see Billy smiling, when we finally made it.

To Talladega, boys raised up,
Whiskey in your glass, here's to turning up,
Slowing down and cars that go real fast,
We were laughing and living, drinking and wishing,
And thinking as that checkered flag was waving,
Sure would like to stay in
Talladega

Like a storm, time rolls on,
You can't hit pause as we just did.
Most days in life don't stand out,
But life's about those days that will, like,
Rocking rando, getting rowdy,
Shooting roman candles at the man in the moon,
Til the Alabama sun was breaking

Over Talladega, boys raised up,
Talladega
Talladega

When the winds go cold and it blows October,
I think about us shoulder to shoulder,
Like those cars my thoughts roll over and over and over,
In my mind

Tonight I'm in Talladega, boys raised up,
Talladega

Talladega (Talladega)
Talladega (Talladega)

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I was at a Patterson solo show a couple years back. As he was introducing one of the songs off the first or second album -- I forget which -- he told us that the first two records are the only ones he ever gets royalty checks from. He said a couple times a year he will get a check for around five hundred dollars and he and his wife take a trip to Home Depot and buy something for the house or yard they otherwise couldn't afford. My guess is that most of us on this board make around the same amount of income or more than Patterson/Cooley and company. They are on the road half the year just to make a middle class lifestyle. It isn't easy doing what they do and at the end of two and a half weeks of shows and merch sales they go home, maybe take the wife and kids out to dinner and pay their bills. I for one would be overjoyed to see them get what they call in the music biz, "mailbox money". I don't give a shit if Miley or Taylor record a version of "Heathens". I don't have to ever listen to it. If it means a better vacation, college tuition or a retirement fund to a group of guys who have given so much of themselves for so long I am all for it. Or how about if they are able to take the entire months of April, May and June off so Brad, Cooley, Jay or Patterson can volunteer to be the assistant coach for one of their kids' little league or softball teams? We take that sort of thing for granted.

"Selling out is when you make the record you are told to make instead of the one you want to make." Henry Rollins

I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Not bitter or anything, but I guess Eric fucking Church means no show in Utah (would've been the first in five years). Fucking pissed.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Alright. I have a confession to make. I love this song. Maybe I've spent too much time in small town bars listening to (and hating) the jukebox, but this is one piece of bro-country that I can handle. It's not thought provoking or ground breaking, but it is fun. Pour a sixer of PBR down my throat, top it with a snort of whiskey and I'll be belting this song out with all the other yokels. Then I'll go back to my corner and skowl when Florida Georgia Line comes on next.

And before we go making idle threats about people covering DBT, let's not forget how many song's Dylan sold in the 60's. That decade is rife with covers of Dylan tunes done by Sonny and Cher and their crowd. It made Bobby enough money that he could embellish a motorcycle accident, stop touring for a while, hang out with the Hawks, and then come out with more great material in the next decade. If this gets the boys some money in the bank, well, good for them.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just to clarify, I'm not actively suggesting that no one covers their songs. If they can make easy money from a song they've already written, I'd be thrilled (though I don't know how record labels and rights holders complicate those things)

That said, I'm not actively desiring it either. If it happens, great. I won't be vocal about it.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Zip City wrote:If they can make easy money from a song they've already written, I'd be thrilled.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ :mrgreen:

I looked at the schedule and they are playing some BIG venues on this Eric Church thing. I say good for them. Earning a living as a musician is hard as fuck.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Shakespeare wrote:

Zip City wrote:If they can make easy money from a song they've already written, I'd be thrilled.

Well, he is ummmmm.... opinionated. :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Shakespeare wrote:

why not?

This is exactly what Jason said to the people complaining about the Dress Blues cover.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:

It seems I was unclear (shocking, I know). If someone covers a song and the band profits, great! But I don't actively DESIRE to hear one of the current crop of Nashville heavyweights doing a DBT song

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

When I first started listening to the band back in 06 one of my first thoughts was, why hasn't some mainstream country artist had a huge hit with one of these tunes.
Last edited by sactochris on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and have a cigar

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Shakespeare wrote:

I have never listened to Hootie covering Wagon Wheel, but Ketch is happy that it happened. (Probably not enough money for Bob to notice)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

I have never listened to Hootie covering Wagon Wheel, but Ketch is happy that it happened. (Probably not enough money for Bob to notice)

I'm not disagreeing

John Cash's Suitcase

Post by John Cash's Suitcase »

UTHeathen wrote:Not bitter or anything, but I guess Eric fucking Church means no show in Utah (would've been the first in five years). Fucking pissed.

Yeah, looks like my mind has been made for me regarding the trip to The Canyons.

By the way, this is the first time I've ever heard of Eric Church. :lol: And I hate him by Proxy.
25 cents shy

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I listened to a little more than half(time restraints) of Church's newest album on spotify yesterday. I definitely wouldn't throw him in the bro-country crowd. I wasn't too impressed with his music. FYI, I listened to a lot of mainstream country in the 90's early 00's. I have read quite a bit about him being this new outlaw of country music and getting fairly high praise compared to the bro-country crowd.

I think what I am trying to say here is that he is NOT Florida Georgia line or all of that other bro-country shit on the air. He may not fit in w/a lot of us here, but it could be worse. ;)

Kudos to DBT for getting more exposure. I am sure they will sell a few extra albums and t-shirts at the shows.

Pretty sure this post just adding nothing to the convo.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Totally agree with Zip!!

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

All that is required to cover somebody else's song is a mechanical license. You do not even need that band's or publishing company's permission.

From legal zoom

Recording Cover Songs

A different situation is presented if your band, instead of simply wanting to cover a song live, decides it wants to record a cover version of another artist's song. If you're interested in a license for recording or selling a copyrighted song, you'll need what's called a mechanical license—a license that allows one artist to create a new version of another's copyrighted song. A mechanical license is so named because the author of the original song does not have to give his or her permission for you to get one—it's “mechanical.” The Harry Fox Agency is the largest agency in the music business for such licenses, coordinating the royalties between the various constituents (music publishers, performers, etc.). Note that while you are guaranteed a mechanical license for the asking (and paying), the one thing that the original artist can block is another artist releasing the first recording of that song—under certain circumstances, that artist can even block his or her own record company from doing so!