dbt opening for eric church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CalebCalebson

Re: dbt opening for eric church

Post by CalebCalebson »

Jonicont wrote:
CalebCalebson wrote:Eric Church is an asshat

Now, now folks. There's no reason to call people names. Granted he may not be in the wheelhouse of most (if not all) of the people who inhabit this place (I had to look him up) but he seems to have decent taste in music. I mean, he's giving the boys a chance to make some dough, Right?

He's the Aaron Lewis of Outlaw Country. He claims the Outlaw image, but is writing smart bro country that appeals to frat guys in the south who grew up on their parents Journey/Foriegner albums and Garth Brooks on the side. Eric Church is one step away from being Kenny Chesney of the oughties, if Kenny had never got lost building sand castle in Pensacola.

With all that said I'd pay to see DBT open for him and then leave after the 45 minute set.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

At least chant DBT!!! after the first couple songs by that douche before leaving! :twisted:

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Lot's of strong opinions here. I wouldn't put him in the bro country category so quickly, as he writes most of his songs.

Listen to Caught In The Act, his live record from 2013. Some cheese, but mostly good stuff.

As others have said, nice payday and new fans = good for the band.
Dave

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

i just can't imagine Hood or Cooley sitting at home spinning Eric Church records,

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Vincent wrote:Lot's of strong opinions here. I wouldn't put him in the bro country category so quickly, as he writes most of his songs.

Listen to Caught In The Act, his live record from 2013. Some cheese, but mostly good stuff.

As others have said, nice payday and new fans = good for the band.

Thanks Vincent, tough to stand up on 3DD for Eric but he is far from bro country if you ask me. I have seen him three times, big arena shows. He's a writer and a performer with a lot of attitude and I think that turns some folks off. His shows are far different from Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean, and others. I have seen them and others and Eric puts on a good show. In comparison. I would suspect they pick up a few fans. Besides caught in the act, the new album has some good tunes. The outsiders is a horrible song but there are some other good tunes on there.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

CalebCalebson wrote:i just can't imagine Hood or Cooley sitting at home spinning Eric Church records,

Probably not, but when they are making their mortgage payment on buying their kids something they want, aided by the cash made on these gigs, I doubt it really matters in the grand scheme of things. As much as some of us hate to admit it, music is a business. It saddens me that many of my favorite bands, including the Glory Fires and Glossary, have to work "real" jobs to support their music, but that's how it goes in this day and time for some. I wish it wasn't like this and in a perfect world, DBT would be choosing which bands to open for them on their arena tour, but as a wise man once said, "Life Ain't Fair and the World is Mean."

jr29

Post by jr29 »

rlipps wrote:
CalebCalebson wrote:i just can't imagine Hood or Cooley sitting at home spinning Eric Church records,

Probably not, but when they are making their mortgage payment on buying their kids something they want, aided by the cash made on these gigs, I doubt it really matters in the grand scheme of things. As much as some of us hate to admit it, music is a business. It saddens me that many of my favorite bands, including the Glory Fires and Glossary, have to work "real" jobs to support their music, but that's how it goes in this day and time for some. I wish it wasn't like this and in a perfect world, DBT would be choosing which bands to open for them on their arena tour, but as a wise man once said, "Life Ain't Fair and the World is Mean."

The real jobs thing really bothers me. Brian Henneman works part time jobs and I have been bitter since the second I read it.

The only noteworthy thing I know about Eric Church is that he is married to a girl from my hometown. Her brother was one of my good friends in high school.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lol. This is like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

I hope this is good for the guys financially. Hard to imagine them bein Eric Church fans and hard to imagine them liking him all that much as a person if he is anywhere near as deuchy in person as he comes across.

But I guess I have to give him credit for taking them on tour with him.

Of course he should be opening for them but...

Hopefully this doesn't up the asshat percentage at a truckers shows after his fans discover them.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't up the asshat percentage at a truckers shows after his fans discover them.

I have a feeling the hardcore Nashville Pop fans will reject DBT immediately
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

When I saw DBT at Bayfest in Mobile a year or two ago they were opening Zac Brown I think..

The people around me hated DBT saying things like "I don't understand this band, what's that guy singing about?!?"

It soured the show for me.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Probably right Zip.

To me Eric Church is a bro country guy pretending to not be a bro country guy.

I'm not sure how much of an outlaw you can be when you wear a scarf on stage. :D

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

CalebCalebson wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

When I saw DBT at Bayfest in Mobile a year or two ago they were opening Zac Brown I think..

The people around me hated DBT saying things like "I don't understand this band, what's that guy singing about?!?"

It soured the show for me.

Yeah that's too bad. I've never been in that situation as every time I've seen the Truckers it was their show. But that would be kind of frustrating to see he getting an opportunity to build their fan base and have people just not even give them a chance.

Strange as it may seem now, the guys actually had some overlap between their fan base and Zac Brown back in the day before he became famous.

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

I still enjoy some ZBB.. I'm not sure if it's guilty pleasure category or not.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

CalebCalebson wrote:I still enjoy some ZBB.. I'm not sure if it's guilty pleasure category or not.

I saw him a few times before he blew up. Both times were in 40 Watt size venues here in GA and he actually put on a pretty good show. Covered Whiskeytown and Widespread Panic.

What he did then was different enough from what he does now that I was surprised that he became what he has become.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:What he did then was different enough from what he does now that I was surprised that he became what he has become.

Maybe it's already been mentioned but I understand he covered "Dress Blues" at some sporting event over the weekend.

Clams

Post by Clams »

If there's one thing we all know, it's that Patterson and Cooley are smart, smart fuckers. I'm sure they weighed the pros and cons and thought this decision completely through, anticipated all the ramifications, backlash, etc. If they decided that opening for Church is in their and the band's best interests, then that's good enough for me. We all know that in a perfect world, the headliner and opener would be reversed here. I'm sure they'll get a good paycheck from these shows and IMO they deserve it and more.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm an opinionated guy but I hope I have never approached the assholery that I've seen today regarding this tour and the Zac Brown Dress Blues cover. About the latter I saw a guy say he would punch anyone in the face that didn't know it was a JI song. If you have those thoughts and post them publicly it's time to reassess.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm an opinionated guy but I hope I have never approached the assholery that I've seen today regarding this tour and the Zac Brown Dress Blues cover. About the latter I saw a guy say he would punch anyone in the face that didn't know it was a JI song. If you have those thoughts and post them publicly it's time to reassess.

Lol. No kidding. A punch in the face? Surely he was kidding.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The DBT Facebook page is a cesspool. I rarely visit it anymore

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:The DBT Facebook page is a cesspool. I rarely visit it anymore

It's a much different animal for sure.

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Is the Facebook page the DBT group?

I saw a guy posting from inside prison on there one day.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:The DBT Facebook page is a cesspool. I rarely visit it anymore

I didn't last long there either. When it was first announced that Cooley was going to be releasing a live album I caught all kinds of shit from one member because they didn't consider it a true Cooley solo album because, save for one song, it was all material he'd previously done with the Truckers. No shit, Sherlock but that didn't change the fact that Cooley performs solo on it.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I have always thought it was inevitable that mainstream country/Nashville artists would discover The Truckers. Within the past couple days Zac Brown sings "Dress Blues" in front of a national audience and The Truckers are going on tour in support of Eric Church. Honestly, I am surprised this didn't happen five years ago. But the day has come and I think we will be seeing more of this in the future as Cooley/Hood/Isbell songs are pretty much virgin territory for Nashville and there are some million dollar songs in the body of work. Everyone currently in The Truckers has kids and one day those kids will be going to college. I would also like to see them spend less time on the road as it is a very hard life for men in their fifties, though Patterson is the type of guy who can't stay off the road too long without doing an acoustic show at some small venue.

Eventually that will mean new fans at shows and some resentment on the part of people who have been fans for a long time. Dead Heads felt the same way in the eighties when the college kids started outnumbering the hippies. But did anyone here think that songs as great as "Outfit", "Dress Blues", "Heathens", "Love Like This" and "Daddy's Cup" would be underground forever?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:. But did anyone here think that songs as great as "Outfit", "Dress Blues", "Heathens", "Love Like This" and "Daddy's Cup" would be underground forever?

Yes, because the crap being pumped out of Nashville (and being eaten up by the mouth-breathing masses) has the lyrical integrity of a Bazooka Joe comic. These music consumers don't WANT good songs with amazing lyrics, they want to pump their fists and drink their Bud Light and cut the sleeves off their Affliction shirts

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

Zip City wrote:
RevMatt wrote:. But did anyone here think that songs as great as "Outfit", "Dress Blues", "Heathens", "Love Like This" and "Daddy's Cup" would be underground forever?

Yes, because the crap being pumped out of Nashville (and being eaten up by the mouth-breathing masses) has the lyrical integrity of a Bazooka Joe comic. These music consumers don't WANT good songs with amazing lyrics, they want to pump their fists and drink their Bud Light and cut the sleeves off their Affliction shirts

In the year 2017 we will see Florida Georgia line make Zip City a mega hit

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Zip City wrote:

I don't believe that. Producers take the safest avenue which is take no chances, appeal to the lowest common denominator. But songs that become standards are the ones that touch people deeply. The only reason people don't know about those songs is because they have never heard them before. Part of it is due to the corrupt Nashville system where producers and publishers are in cahoots. But all it takes is for one person to have a hit with a Cooley, Hood or Isbell song and the floodgates will open. There are at least a dozen hits in the bunch and several of those are potential standards.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

CalebCalebson wrote:In the year 2017 we will see Florida Georgia line make Zip City a mega hit

Except they will have to change the line "Don't know why I put up with his shit" to "Don't know why I put up with his poo" for the national tv audience.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jr29

Post by jr29 »

RevMatt wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I don't believe that. Producers take the safest avenue which is take no chances, appeal to the lowest common denominator. But songs that become standards are the ones that touch people deeply. The only reason people don't know about those songs is because they have never heard them before. Part of it is due to the corrupt Nashville system where producers and publishers are in cahoots. But all it takes is for one person to have a hit with a Cooley, Hood or Isbell song and the floodgates will open. There are at least a dozen hits in the bunch and several of those are potential standards.

I want to agree with you, but how long has it been since a standard has been a mainstream country hit ? Late 80's maybe ???

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RevMatt wrote:
Zip City wrote:

You don't listen to country radio much, do you

CalebCalebson

Post by CalebCalebson »

RevMatt wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Looking through the DBT discography I don't see a single song that could be a bonafide radio hit in top 40 country. These songs don't resonate with clear channel.