Hal & Mals Jackson, MS 3/7/2015

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Hal & Mals Jackson, MS 3/7/2015

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Made Up English Oceans
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Marry Me
Buttholeville/State Trooper
Devil Don't Stay
Company I Keep
Gravity's Gone
Sandwiches For The Road
Shit Shots Count
Let There Be Rock
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Pin Hits The Shell
Do It a Yourself
First Air of Autumn
Tornadoes
Ghost To Most
Goode's Field Road

E:
Tonight's The Night
Women Without Whiskey
Everybody Needs Love
Zip City
Grand Canyon
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Do we have an audio on Tonight's The Night yet?
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:Do we have an audio on Tonight's The Night yet?

There were tapers last night so it should surface.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I don't know if anything I can write will do justice to what we experienced last night. It was out of this world! 2 Daughters as the first Patterson song of the night? Marry Me 3 songs in? After that, you could almost see the wheels turning in Patterson's mind, ok, it's going to be that kind of night, I'll see your MM & I'll raise you Buttholeville with State Trooper, for Beth & Dean. Cooley says fine, I'll do Devil Don't Stay. Then Patterson decided to do an oldie as he says, & dedicated it to Luke & I. Thank you, been dying to hear Company I Keep. And they kept that pace the whole show! It was encores & rarities all night. Haven't heard Sandwiches for the Road in forever, & Do It Yourself was also a treat.
Dean (TC) & I looked at each other at one point & said this set list is bonkers. Adding to the fun was sharing it with some really fine people. It was a hometown show for TC & Lurleen McQueen, they were on the rail, next to UR & I on the rail were some sorely missed folks from the old days, Fool Nowhere & Bourbon Cowboy. Newcomers Schlanky & drjayhow were right there with us & had their faces melted with the rest of us. The crowd in general was well behaved. We had a girl & her guy push up at one point. Fool Nowhere & I puffed up & were not having it. They weren't aggressive about it so we didn't worry about it too much, just slightly annoying. Then it turned out it was a couple who just got married. As in the girl was in her big ass wedding dress, train & all! UR looked at me & said why are they here & not in the honeymoon suite? Somebody got Patterson's attention & he had a similar reaction. But then he said you have good timing. I was about to play a song about divorce, but now I won't. Congratulations! He then played Everybody Needs Love.
I have to say seeing a bride & groom in full wedding attire at the rock show was a first.
All the guys were on fire last night. Jay is just killing it no matter what instrument you hand him. Matt's bass is a perfect blend of rock & soul & punk. EasyB was like a man possessed. He was standing & hitting the drums with everything he had just a few songs in. Patterson sounded terrific, & whatever Cooley & Matt are doing on GFR is out of control raw & funky & dirty. I absolutely love this lineup of the band. They just gel so well.
On the road now but just had to say something. We saw tapers so I sure hope this show surfaces.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

drjayhow

Post by drjayhow »

Finally back home. Holy cow was that fun. Met some great peeps (TC, fnw, cooleygirl/luke, lurleen, schlanky and anyone else I forgot). Also got to hear all time fave Company I Keep.

Here are some things I learned
1. watching from the front row is the only way to go That was awesome
2. such a better atmosphere to watch the rock show with true fans who really appreciate the band
3 I must must must go to homecoming

Such a pleasure to meet and talk with some 3dd peeps finally. Till next time

drjay (and brother in law Uncle Keith, who had a great time and also wants to do homecoming!!!!!)

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

"Sandwiches for the Road" had been on my short list of songs I really really wanted to see, and it was worth the price of admission for that one alone. And then there's "Tonight's the Night." I can't wait to hear the recordings of this one.

It was great meeting drjay and Uncle Keith and FNW, and had a blast with Uncle Rickey, Cooley Girl, Lurleen and TC.

What stuck with me most from last night's show was Patterson Hood. He was on fire from start to end.
Let the outside air in

jr29

Post by jr29 »

When The Pin Hits The Shell into Do It Yourself..........hate I missed it.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Show reviews like this is why I wish I could retire & just follow the band around. Not only would you get great shows but you'd meet great people & get to see America...or at least the inside of some mighty fine rock clubs & bars!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Ho. Lee. Fuck! I've defeated the hangover and drive home beatdown and am enjoying the afterglow of a monster rawk show.

I can't help but wonder if Buttholeville, an Adam's House Cat song, was played as a tribute to AHC drummer Chuck Tremblay who spent the afternoon with PH & MC. Just a guess.

State Trooper was amazing, so in your face. I was really happy to hear that and normally I'd say everything after was frosting on the cake. Normally.

But company I keep, sandwiches for the road, girls who smoke, pin/shell/diy are hardly frosting.

I knew we were gonna get diy because I saw Patterson talking to brad as pin/shell was winding down and what else would those two guys be talking about at that specific moment in time? I felt a little guilty about an awkward high five with UR over a song about suicide.

I've never wanted Cooley to play Love Like This as much as I did after Patterson's audible to ENL. Would have been very... Cooley.

Partied well, very well, with new and old friends. drjayhow and I bonded over our distaste for bandwagon Dallas Cowboy fans and Sclanky was solid anchoring the rail on Jay's side.

As for the band, there's nothing I can say that's vastly different than what you've already read/heard. If you have the chance, go see them. They are having fun finding new ways to melt our faces.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

After everything that's been said about this show I'm not sure what to say. First, I think it's the first DBT show in 5 years where afterwards I actually slept in my own bed. Not that it was ever a big deal, both Lurleen and I are good with hotels, but it was nice. Even when I lived in Illinois Milwaukee shows were over an hour from home, with Madison and Chicago shows closer to an hour and a half. Now we're 15 minutes from downtown Jackson and it was good. The other good thing about that was being able to host FNW, UR & CG. If we had a bigger house we would have loved to have had more. We had a few extra Sunday morning with our friends Ant and Mae joining all of us for brunch which was a treat. The only regret was that Shlanky and our friend Stuart, who were both with us at the show, couldn't make it. Only thing better than a Rock Show is sharing one and everything that goes with it with good friends.

As far as the show goes I don't have a lot to add really. Lurleen has been chasing State Trooper for longer than can be imagined so that was a special treat. Girls Who Smoke is a a favorite of mine so that one is always welcome, the other rarities people have mentioned were great and Tonight's the NIght was wonderful. Such a nice tribute to their friend. Having not been here in Jackson all that long I don't feel it as deeply as Lurleen does but we both were a little bit on pins and needles as to how the crowd was going to be. Would it be a good turnout? Would the asshole factor rear its head, etc.? Turned out we worried for nothing. The long, cavernous Hal & Mal's was rockin' out all the way back with happy people getting their faces melted. Even the newly married couple who pushed on up front in their tux and wedding dress weren't really a problem. Patterson's audible from Runaway Train to Everybody Needs Love in their honor was classic. After chastising them for being at a Rock show instead of getting down to business he laughed and said they caught him just in time because he was about to play a divorce song. Classic. Gotta love a home town show. Thanks to everyone from the band to the good friends that experienced it with us to the people of Jackson who did it right on a Saturday night.

guess we weren't having much fun huh? :D

courtesy of MCE Photography

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

What a great picture of you two! That deserves to be hung over the fireplace.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

gepman

Post by gepman »

Show just posted to the Archive:

Thanks to the recorder and the poster! (neither of which was me)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Very nice! Thanks for posting.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Very nice! Thanks for posting.
Really looking forward to listening to this one with all of the positive reviews of the show above...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gepman wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Very nice! Thanks for posting.
Really looking forward to listening to this one with all of the positive reviews of the show above...
I have it on now and it sounds pretty good. It was a really good show.

uncle keith

Post by uncle keith »

Hey guys! I finally got my login working.

Don't know if you remember me, but I was the local Jackson boy who showed up with Dr. Jay for this awesome DBT rock show. it was great meeting some of the 3DD guys and gals.

Thanks for the archives link. I've been listening to the show all day at work. It really was awesome. The recording has pretty descent sound too.

Uncle Keith

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Greetings, Uncle Keith. I remember y'all. I was the guy with the 3DD bunch over on the far left side in front of Jay.

I'm glad to see that a recording of this one surfaced. I plan to give it a listen doing work around the house this weekend.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

uncle keith wrote:Hey guys! I finally got my login working.

Don't know if you remember me, but I was the local Jackson boy who showed up with Dr. Jay for this awesome DBT rock show. it was great meeting some of the 3DD guys and gals.

Thanks for the archives link. I've been listening to the show all day at work. It really was awesome. The recording has pretty descent sound too.

Uncle Keith
Absolutely remember y'all. It was great show and the sound on this recording is better than I expected. The mics were well placed though right behind the soundboard.